Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2011 @ 2:47pm

Sam > Tyrion
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » May 30th, 2011 @ 3:09pm

The bastard and the girl with needle are likable characters. I think the girl is going to kill someone.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » May 30th, 2011 @ 3:12pm

I started reading the wiki, and boy oh boy was that a mistake. I think I just ended up spoiling the next 12 seasons of the show for myself. Oh well.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » May 30th, 2011 @ 3:21pm

kenzo wrote:I started reading the wiki, and boy oh boy was that a mistake. I think I just ended up spoiling the next 12 seasons of the show for myself. Oh well.

Whats wrong with you?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » May 30th, 2011 @ 3:29pm

I'm very compulsive?
kenzo

Postby kenzo » May 30th, 2011 @ 3:31pm

I've been oogling Daenerys Targaryen this entire time, and it turns out she's supposed to be 13 in the books? *vomits*
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2011 @ 3:43pm

kenzo wrote:I've been oogling Daenerys Targaryen this entire time, and it turns out she's supposed to be 13 in the books? *vomits*

You watch anime, this shouldn't be a foreign feeling for you.
Mr_eX wrote:The bastard and the girl with needle are likable characters. I think the girl is going to kill someone.

SPOILARZ!!!!!
LiQuid

Postby jw_6179 » May 30th, 2011 @ 11:02pm

LiQuid wrote:It's so amazing. I was dying laughing during the Littlefinger/whore scene. The Dothraki stuff has been so good. I love how amusingly low rent it is compared to the rest of the show.

Do you doubt the might of Khal Drogo's army of twenty three extras and fourteen horses?!
jw_6179

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 31st, 2011 @ 5:44am

kenzo wrote:I've been oogling Daenerys Targaryen this entire time, and it turns out she's supposed to be 13 in the books? *vomits*

In the books, yes, but the show isn't the books. She was aged to about 17 in the show; does that make you feel any better?
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Mr_eX » May 31st, 2011 @ 6:27am

I heard somewhere that they made all the kids older for the show.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 31st, 2011 @ 7:03am

Mr_eX wrote:I heard somewhere that they made all the kids older for the show.

I think it depends. Sansa and Joffery as supposed to be, what, 12 or 13 years old right, and I think they're still supposed to be around that age in the show (Cersei asks Sansa if she's had her period yet in episode 2 or 3) even though they're clearly played by older actors. Arya looks to about the right age, 10 or 11, and Robb Stark and Jon Snow appear to be older actors playing slightly younger (mid-twenties playing late teens/early twenties).
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby LiQuid » May 31st, 2011 @ 9:44am

Dany is really the only kid in the show they depict as older, but that's rightfully understandable. She grows up much faster than any of the other characters emotionally, and you know, she gets boned a bunch. Even with older actors portraying most of the rest of the cast, they're still believable as their in-story age. Shows like BH90210 and anything on the WB have gotten us well and used to 20-somethings portraying high school aged kids.

I'm not sure how fast the kids grow up in the books, but I'm wondering what they are going to do as seasons of this go on. Are they eventually going to have to replace Bran/Arya/Rickun with older actors?
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 31st, 2011 @ 9:53am

LiQuid wrote:I'm not sure how fast the kids grow up in the books, but I'm wondering what they are going to do as seasons of this go on. Are they eventually going to have to replace Bran/Arya/Rickun with older actors?

I'd hope not, if only because the girl playing Arya is awesome. She just kills every scene she's in.
GiantAsianMan

Postby LiQuid » May 31st, 2011 @ 11:24am

Yeah, Bran has been really great too, thought his character hasn't had much to do yet. Arya is great. They need to stick that little chick in a hyperbolic chamber, Dragon Ball Z style until she's old enough to swing a sword legit.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jun 1st, 2011 @ 7:55pm

Finally finished listening to book one. Not going to spoil anything for those only experiencing this through the show except that in the final moments of the book I was literally doing this: :o
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 1st, 2011 @ 11:15pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:

In the books, yes, but the show isn't the books. She was aged to about 17 in the show; does that make you feel any better?
Then we still saw underage-boobies and that's a no-no.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 2nd, 2011 @ 1:06pm

The second book actually picks up directly after the first book. There's no lapse in time. For some reason I got a real trans-generational vibe from the story and was expecting them to jump ahead a bunch of years to when the kids were all older and kind of going through the same stuff as the adults in the first one, but no. Arya is still a little kid and the first chapter picks up literally the moment her last chapter does in the first book.

My few hopes/fears for the series in general:

1. That they'll actually get more of the show made before all the kids grow up
2. That GRRM doesn't eat it before finishing this shit. Considering the year gap between books has been something like 2 yrs, 2 yrs, 3 yrs, 5 yrs, 6 yrs, I'm not holding out.
3. That Roy Dotrice, the British Gentleman that has been reading me the first, and now second books, including hilariously acting out the voice of every single character, doesn't croak before all of this is done. Considering he's pushing 90, this doesn't bode well.

Also, this is a marginal at best book spoiler, I noticed in one of the later books all the PoV characters are bad guys. I'm not gonna say who cause that would be spoilery. That worries me since I don't really give a fuck what any of those people have to say or feel about anything. Also, I'm kind of disappointed that the characters in question survive that long. Mostly because the PoV characters from the first book (and ensuing books) are really great and I would hate an entire book to shift over to Bad Guy Vision leaving all of those characters out. We'll see how it goes I guess.
LiQuid

Postby Govir » Jun 2nd, 2011 @ 1:19pm

LiQuid wrote:I noticed in one of the later books all the PoV characters are bad guys.

Which book are you looking at? Cause I can name PoV characters who aren't bad guys in each book that is out.
Govir

Postby LiQuid » Jun 2nd, 2011 @ 1:23pm

I was wrong, it's not all bad guys, but they spend considerable amount of time with them after not really featuring them at all up to that point.
LiQuid

Postby flufflogic » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 11:03am

I too read the wiki. It's... compact. Might give the audiobooks a go.

I have to admit, the lasting impression from the wiki is it is VERY slowburning. Glacial even.
flufflogic

Postby LiQuid » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 11:38am

I'm guilty of zoning out during some of the chapters, especially when global politics and other boring shit is discussed and especially when GRRM just starts dropping dozens of names on the reader for characters that will never ever be encountered for real in the books. Sorry, George, but the world you created isn't special. I don't need a fucking Tolkienesque history lesson on the lineage of the Stark family. For those chapters, I'll just pause after and go read what I missed on the wiki. Spoiler: I usually didn't miss anything.

Gotta say, since I rediscovered Forza, I've been burning through book 2. Easy to focus 100% of my visual attention on the game while still focusing 100% of my aural attention on the book. God I love multitasking nerdery! I'm honestly barely ever engaged in just one hobby at a time anymore.
LiQuid

Postby indieinsd » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 8:58pm

LiQuid wrote:I'm guilty of zoning out during some of the chapters, especially when global politics and other boring shit is discussed and especially when GRRM just starts dropping dozens of names on the reader for characters that will never ever be encountered for real in the books. Sorry, George, but the world you created isn't special. I don't need a fucking Tolkienesque history lesson on the lineage of the Stark family. For those chapters, I'll just pause after and go read what I missed on the wiki. Spoiler: I usually didn't miss anything.

Gotta say, since I rediscovered Forza, I've been burning through book 2. Easy to focus 100% of my visual attention on the game while still focusing 100% of my aural attention on the book. God I love multitasking nerdery! I'm honestly barely ever engaged in just one hobby at a time anymore.

I play all racing a sports games while listening to podcasts (Also games with idiotic plots like Just Cause 2). Any game that forces me to listen better be fucking great.
indieinsd

Postby LiQuid » Jun 6th, 2011 @ 12:21am

Jesus, this week's episode was a fucking whirlwind. It's all kind of a blur at this point but I can't help but feel like they didn't spend enough time on some stuff that they really should have. Chiefly, I really missed the bro time between Tyrion and Bronn. Tyrion's story to Bronn about his wife really built a foundation for his hatred of his father and family. Here it is copypasta'd from a book summary in case anyone is just watching the show and wants some more Tyrion background.

When he was thirteen, Tyrion was riding back to Casterly Rock from Lannisport with Jaime when they encountered a girl named Tysha being chased by bandits. After they saved the girl, Jaime rode off to get help to hunt down the bandits while Tyrion took the girl to a nearby inn. She was a crofter's daughter orphaned when her father died of fever, but Tyrion drank too much wine and they had sex. Tyrion fell in love and married her in front of a drunken septon. For two weeks they played at being husband and wife at a cottage until the septon sobered up and told Lord Tywin. The furious lord first made Jaime tell the truth that Tysha was a whore he hired because he felt it was time Tyrion had his first woman.1 Then he gave Tysha to his guards, making them each pay a silver piece to take her. When they were done, Tywin made Tyrion go last, but for a gold piece because a Lannister is worth more. Bronn says he would kill any man that did that to him, and Tyrion says he may get that chance, for a Lannister always pays his debts.

The other thing I felt was kind of rushed was Cersei coercing Sansa to write her letters.

Aside from that, amazing episode. Greywind biting off Greatjon's fingers, Jon Vs. Zombie (why didn't the severed hand crawl up his leg!?) and Drogo ripping the throat (and tongue? I don't think that's anatomically correct :lol: ) out of Dissenter Guy were absolute top shelf shit!

Did anybody else think Tyrion's mountain men looked like they came straight out of one of those Capitol One viking commercials?? I love how this show strikes the perfect balance between looking good enough for nerds to lose their shit over it, but low rent enough for me to laugh at how ghetto it is at times! I can't fucking wait for next week. Gonna marathon all of these again before the finale. I can't believe there's only two left. :( :( :( :( :(
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 6th, 2011 @ 1:20am

That was a great episode. I love these ice-zombies.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 6th, 2011 @ 1:29am

kenzo wrote:That was a great episode. I love these ice-zombies.

Trust me, they are way better when their severed hands climb up peoples' legs. Some serious Idle Hands style shit!
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jun 10th, 2011 @ 1:06pm

Since Sunday I've rewatched the entire series up to this point. One thing that kind of strikes me as weird is the shave and a blowjob (two bits!) scene between Renly and Tyrell. In book 1 they never even hint at a gay relationship between the two (aside from the Knight of Flowers just being kind of fruity in general) and half way through book 2 spoiler, spoiler, etc. I'm sure it will be something they explore later in the books, but that strikes me as another one of those weird additions in the show that weren't possible in the books because it focuses on two non-PoV characters (like the scene between Tywin and Jaime Lannister last episode). They reveal things about the characters for the sake of immediacy in the narrative that aren't possible in the book until a PoV character comes into contact when them intimately.

Almost done with the 2nd book now (no real spoilers here) and so far I've gotta say it hasn't really been doing much for me. There's so much political strife and even some theology clashing in the book, I really don't see it being very entertaining television, but we'll see. I think the fact that this series has no real protagonist is a major hurdle. The only characters you can even bother rooting for are Arya (who is easily going to have the most entertaining storyline next season) and Tyrion. It seems really easy to get behind Tyrion because he basically hates the rest of the characters as much as I do, but in the end he's still very self serving so he doesn't make for even a very good antihero. He doesn't even make for a good underdog since we as the reader/viewer know that the rest of the cast grossly underestimates him, making him not much of an underdog in the first place. It's a complex story for as generic the setting and themes are, but narratively I think this series is just a total mess. Not sure how this is going to hold up in the seasons to come.
LiQuid

Postby flufflogic » Jun 10th, 2011 @ 2:12pm

I have this theory that, by the end of book 7, a certain current Khalisi will be on the throne - and it'll be considered a good thing. I'm hoping Jon Snow stays a big player, and Arya, but I'm sure it'll be all about either resisting or welcoming Daenerys' challenge to the throne.
flufflogic

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 12th, 2011 @ 8:35pm

I hope the boy king gets whats coming to him.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jun 12th, 2011 @ 8:45pm

Seriously. That kid is SUCH a dick. I'm always in favor of murdering children, but especially so when they're such over the top assholes.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 12th, 2011 @ 8:54pm

It sucks there's only one more episode left of the season
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics