Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby LiQuid » Jun 12th, 2011 @ 8:56pm

Depending on how they pull off the final scene though it should be a good'un!
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 12th, 2011 @ 9:00pm

Someones reaction to the ending of tonights episode. Obviously spoilers if you haven't watched the episode yet.
Last edited by Mr_eX on Jun 12th, 2011 @ 9:08pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 12th, 2011 @ 9:02pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 12th, 2011 @ 9:04pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jun 12th, 2011 @ 9:34pm

You been lurking in the GAF thread? I literally just watched all those videos within the last half ten minutes.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 12th, 2011 @ 10:09pm

I got one or two from gaf the other(s) were in the related videos thing next to it.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jw_6179 » Jun 13th, 2011 @ 12:12am

Mr_eX wrote:I hope the boy king gets whats coming to him.

And thus, you learned that there is no "protagonist invulnerability" in this series.

"Oh, he's gotta get out of this -- he's a main character!" Not today, friend. Not today.

More angry black man!

jw_6179

Postby LiQuid » Jun 13th, 2011 @ 2:21am

Glad they finally got around to telling Tyrion's wife story, though I thought that scene with him Bronn and Shae all hanging out in the war tent was kind of awkward.

Still absolutely love all the nerd rage about Ned getting smoked.

LiQuid

Postby flufflogic » Jun 13th, 2011 @ 4:17am

Yeah, it's foreseeable; he's too much trouble. Can't wait to see how people react to all the other deaths in the book series!
flufflogic

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 13th, 2011 @ 6:09am

The death may have made this my favorite show on TV.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jun 13th, 2011 @ 9:55am

Another thing I forgot to mention: Peter Dinklage in armor was ADORABLE! I'm like 90% sure he actually saw combat in the books too. I thought it was lame how he got knocked the fuck out and missed the whole battle in the show.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jun 13th, 2011 @ 11:19am

LiQuid wrote:I thought it was lame how he got knocked the fuck out and missed the whole battle in the show.

Yeah, that was kinda lame, but there's a practical reason behind it- big battle scenes are expensive, even for HBO. I agree that it would've been cool to actually see the battle, but just showing its aftermath with Tyrion regaining consciousness was effective storytelling none the less.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby LiQuid » Jun 13th, 2011 @ 11:37am

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they skipped the actual battle. I don't need to see any amount of shitty, shakycam battle footage to get the gist of what went down, but it makes Tyrion look like a coward instead of actually going into battle and suffering the injury like he does in the book. They could have just as effectively cut away from him charging into fight with his hairy guys.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jun 13th, 2011 @ 12:43pm

LiQuid wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they skipped the actual battle. I don't need to see any amount of shitty, shakycam battle footage to get the gist of what went down, but it makes Tyrion look like a coward instead of actually going into battle and suffering the injury like he does in the book. They could have just as effectively cut away from him charging into fight with his hairy guys.

Coward might be a bit strong of a word. It wasn't like he was actively running away from the battle; he just got run over by his own men before he even got a chance. But I see what you're saying.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby kenzo » Jun 14th, 2011 @ 1:48am

The ending of this last episode made me sad. I appreciate shows like this, but it's hard to keep up a long-term interest in shows that lack characters I can root for.
kenzo

Postby IRL_Troll » Jun 14th, 2011 @ 5:51am

It's all good, you'll definitely be rooting for Robb
Spoiler: show
Well, until the end of the next season

and there's always Tyrion to be rooting for.....and eventually
Jaime becomes a sympathetic character
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 14th, 2011 @ 7:08am

Peter Dinklage got nominated for some award for this show. I hope he wins.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Govir » Jun 14th, 2011 @ 7:17am

IRL_Troll wrote:It's all good, you'll definitely be rooting for Robb

Wait, what happens to Robb at the end of next season (aka book 2)? I've read the books (awhile ago, rereading them now), but I don't remember anything crazy happening with Robb at the end of book 2.
Govir

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 14th, 2011 @ 7:27am

Game of Thrones star Sean Bean was reportedly stabbed during an altercation in North London at the weekend. Bean was allegedly attacked near the Hill Bar and Brasserie in Camden on Sunday, according to the Daily Mail. The former Sharpe actor did not go to hospital, despite a cut arm and bruises on his face, instead opting to return to the pub for a drink, claims the report.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jun 14th, 2011 @ 8:26am

kenzo wrote:The ending of this last episode made me sad. I appreciate shows like this, but it's hard to keep up a long-term interest in shows that lack characters I can root for.

Why the fuck were you rooting for Ned in the first place? He's a naive, goody two shoes MORON.
LiQuid

Postby IRL_Troll » Jun 14th, 2011 @ 10:40am

Govir wrote:
IRL_Troll wrote:It's all good, you'll definitely be rooting for Robb

Wait, what happens to Robb at the end of next season (aka book 2)? I've read the books (awhile ago, rereading them now), but I don't remember anything crazy happening with Robb at the end of book 2.

I must not be remembering correctly....if so how far have you read?...seeing as how you're not familiar with the
Red Wedding
and it's goings on you wouldn't be asking about this. My bad.
Edit: It's in the 3rd book. oops
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby Govir » Jun 14th, 2011 @ 1:46pm

IRL_Troll wrote:Edit: It's in the 3rd book. oops

I've read them all, and that's what I thought you were talking about. I just recently looked it up and knew it was in the third book. A friend of mine is just finishing the second book, so I wanted to see if he had gotten to that point yet. As of 3 days ago I would have told you it was in the second though.
Govir

Postby flufflogic » Jun 16th, 2011 @ 4:08am

Where did these bizarre rumours of Jon Snow's origins come from then? Reading the wiki makes a good case for one answer, but then it just says "fans think it is this" with no justification at all...
flufflogic

Postby Govir » Jun 16th, 2011 @ 8:58am

flufflogic wrote:Where did these bizarre rumours of Jon Snow's origins come from then? Reading the wiki makes a good case for one answer, but then it just says "fans think it is this" with no justification at all...

A friend of mine has that theory as well.
She doesn't buy most everyone's description of Rhaegar Targaryen, and therefore doesn't think he raped Lyanna (which would probably be one of the only things that would make Robert kill him "for what he did to [Lyanna]" - GoT page 44). You are right that there's very scant evidence to support it, but it's just one of those things that seems more plausible than Eddard, a man of strict honor, fathering a bastard of his own. Some other things that point to Jon being Lyanna's child. "Promise me, she had cried, in a room that smelled of blood and roses. Promise me, Ned." GoT 43. Why would the room have smelled like blood? Did someone stab her, and if so why? It is possible she was in labor, something that would have produced a lot of blood and had the possibility of killing her. Also, we're suppose to take the Promise me bit to mean "Promise me you'll bury me in the Winterfell crypt" since that's what Eddard was just talking about. But it could just as easily mean "Promise me to take care of my child" which would explain Eddard's fierce loyalty and unwavering nerve to not send Jon away (as seen in GoT on page 65-66. It is later stated that there were three Kingsguard that Eddard had to kill to get to Lyanna. Why would the 3 of the 7 Kingsguard be guarding someone who Rhaegar had merely raped when there was a war going on? It's more likely they were there protecting a valued person. I don't have page numbers for this, because I haven't come across it yet while rereading the books, but this is where I got the information about the three Kingsguard: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jon_Snow/Theories

I'm still not sure I believe the theory, but I won't be surprised if it turns out to be true. I am definitely leaning towards it being true though. If Ned had fathered a bastard, how would he have known? It's not like they can tell they're pregnant right after sex. Did he stay in one place for nine months and just happen to find out he had a bastard? That doesn't seem likely. It doesn't make logistical sense.

There is now only one person who'd be able to give eye witness account of what happened at the Tower of Joy: Howland Reed, who I don't even think we've meet properly in the books.
Govir

Postby IRL_Troll » Jun 16th, 2011 @ 9:52am

That would make things fucking epic, because that would mean
Snow is an heir to the iron throne
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby flufflogic » Jun 16th, 2011 @ 12:30pm

For me, it would mean
epic last book face off between him and Daenerys for the unified Throne
, which sounds AWESOME. It could also mean
he too has the dragon immunity to fire
flufflogic

Postby Govir » Jun 16th, 2011 @ 4:09pm

flufflogic wrote:For me, it would mean
epic last book face off between him and Daenerys for the unified Throne

My friend thinks it'll mean
Jon marrying Daenerys, for the Targaryen blood line.

Although, I think it'll mean
Jon being "King of the North" or something similar with guarding the North and The Wall and maybe beyond. Then Daenerys would take over as Queen of the rest of the area. It is my opinion that these two characters will work together. I don't see if coming to a fight between them.
Govir

Postby LiQuid » Jun 17th, 2011 @ 11:38am

This is really fucking depressing.

It's a shame that HBO has to "defend" themselves for staying true to the story of the book and not turning it into some fairy tale where Ned fights the power and saves the universe from treachery.

A small part of me doesn't really feel sorry for them though since they did go out of their way to represent Bean as a star and Ned a main character of the show. They even put him on the fucking book (a practice I totally fucking hate for books that become TV/movie adaptations).

Still it fucking hurts my mind that "TV audiences" are so incapable of accepting a show for its overarching plot and not the mainstay of a single, central character. It really makes me want to shout out to all these idiots a full list of everyone that dies in the books.
LiQuid

Postby Govir » Jun 17th, 2011 @ 5:25pm

LiQuid wrote:This is really fucking depressing.

It's a shame that HBO has to "defend" themselves for staying true to the story of the book and not turning it into some fairy tale where Ned fights the power and saves the universe from treachery.

I agree completely. One of the things that I like about the book series is the fact that no one is safe, including the "main" characters. This series isn't about one particular person, it's about a series of events that happen at a particular time. We are gods, being allowed to see the events from different points of view, but ultimately this is not about one character. It is about The Game of Thrones and stakes are high (cue obligatory line about players in the Game of Thrones).

LiQuid wrote:They even put him on the fucking book (a practice I totally fucking hate for books that become TV/movie adaptations).

I loath this. The book is not the TV/movie, don't put pictures from the TV/movie on the cover.

LiQuid wrote:Still it fucking hurts my mind that "TV audiences" are so incapable of accepting a show for its overarching plot and not the mainstay of a single, central character. It really makes me want to shout out to all these idiots a full list of everyone that dies in the books.

I can't wait for the outcry of the next big death. It'll be so much more because of how long we're with the character compared to our relatively brief time with Ned.
Govir

Postby kenzo » Jun 17th, 2011 @ 9:17pm

I can understand people getting pissy about it, but it's still pretty ignorant.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics