Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 18th, 2011 @ 10:51pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby totoro » Sep 19th, 2011 @ 6:47am

Mr_eX wrote:Image

That is awesome. He deserved it in a big way.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby Fallen_Angel » Jan 28th, 2012 @ 11:34pm

Finished Clash of Kings tonight (paperback, a tome indeed).

Preferred book 1 in fairness.
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby kenzo » Jan 29th, 2012 @ 1:10am

totoro wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Image

That is awesome. He deserved it in a big way.
Pun intended...?
kenzo

Postby flufflogic » Jan 29th, 2012 @ 9:02am

The wife's now on book 4 and angsty about what she'll do when she finishes the next one. I mean, she'll have to wait and everything!
flufflogic

Postby Fallen_Angel » Jan 29th, 2012 @ 9:38am

flufflogic wrote:The wife's now on book 4 and angsty about what she'll do when she finishes the next one. I mean, she'll have to wait and everything!

Just at the start of book 3 now after reading through the first 2 in about 4 weeks. Reckon I'll take this one a bit slower.

To echo other people's thoughts in this thread, I'd agree that GRRM has an obsession with setting a scene to its last detail. It makes the books a bit of a chore to read at times. And I do believe the world is fairly ordinary but it's made up of such great stories and characters.
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby flufflogic » Jan 29th, 2012 @ 4:03pm

Just read through the chapter by chapter summary of Dance With Dragons on Wiki of Ice and Fire. Wow. Wow.
flufflogic

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jan 30th, 2012 @ 5:16am

HBO just released a new trailer for Season 2:

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Fallen_Angel » Jan 30th, 2012 @ 9:56am

Varys and Tyrion's interactions were some of the best parts of Clash of Kings

Looks like they're staying faithful to the books still
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby ribkicker4 » Jan 30th, 2012 @ 12:18pm

God, I can't wait for season 2 to start...

@GiantAsianMan
That trailer was fucking awesome. My blood's pumping (more so than usual)...
ribkicker4

Postby Fallen_Angel » Feb 5th, 2012 @ 3:52pm

I'm at that point in book 3 where I just wanna trash this whole series and never look back. I'm fucking furious right now

Spoiler: show
Talking about Robb and Cat :cry:
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby flufflogic » Feb 7th, 2012 @ 2:23pm

Fallen_Angel wrote:I'm at that point in book 3 where I just wanna trash this whole series and never look back. I'm fucking furious right now

Talking about Robb and Cat :cry:

The end of book 5, man. The end of book 5.
flufflogic

Postby Fallen_Angel » Feb 10th, 2012 @ 10:57pm

So I finished A Storm of Swords tonight .. can't decide if I want to strangle GRRM or kiss his old head. Probably both

From the Red Wedding onwards every major event just one ups the last. Joffery's death, the events at the Wall (never expected anyone to show up let alone Stannis), Dany being fierce as a queen and banishing Jorah. Someone told me once that they didn't like how overpowered she'd become through the series and I'm starting to see why. Tyrion murdering both Tywin and the whore, which I enjoyed even more than Joffery eating it (pun intended). Littlefinger's scheming ways rivalling that of Varys, I've always liked him but since we're running out of characters he's becoming one of my favourites. Same goes to Jaime who somewhat redeemed himself and became really likeable in book 3. And the epilogue .. Well it's probably a good thing I got it spoiled for myself beforehand or else I would've collapsed. What a reveal.

The revelations were even greater than the deaths in some cases. Tywin telling Jamie to lie to Tyrion about Tysha (though I wasn't surprised when I thought about it), Arstan turning out to be Selmy, which dawned on me just before he revealed it himself. Littlefinger telling Lysa to kill Jon Arryn and pretty much instigating the events which began the war. Joffery being revealed as the one who sent the assassin to Bran.

But the most captivating part of all was by far The Red Wedding, it's my favourite part of the series by far. After reading it I flung the book aside holding my face in hands in disbelief then read it again to make sure I didn't miss something. And I didn't :( It was even more sad that Eddard's death, or when I thought Theon had found Bran and Rickon. Sure Robb caused his own downfall and wasn't a truly central character but I still liked him. Catelyn deserved it for her completely diabolical decision making. She cost him his life as much as he did.

Great book, best of the 3 I've read so far
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby flufflogic » Feb 11th, 2012 @ 3:08pm

Fallen_Angel wrote:So I finished A Storm of Swords tonight .. can't decide if I want to strangle GRRM or kiss his old head. Probably both

From the Red Wedding onwards every major event just one ups the last. Joffery's death, the events at the Wall (never expected anyone to show up let alone Stannis), Dany being fierce as a queen and banishing Jorah. Someone told me once that they didn't like how overpowered she'd become through the series and I'm starting to see why. Tyrion murdering both Tywin and the whore, which I enjoyed even more than Joffery eating it (pun intended). Littlefinger's scheming ways rivalling that of Varys, I've always liked him but since we're running out of characters he's becoming one of my favourites. Same goes to Jaime who somewhat redeemed himself and became really likeable in book 3. And the epilogue .. Well it's probably a good thing I got it spoiled for myself beforehand or else I would've collapsed. What a reveal.

The revelations were even greater than the deaths in some cases. Tywin telling Jamie to lie to Tyrion about Tysha (though I wasn't surprised when I thought about it), Arstan turning out to be Selmy, which dawned on me just before he revealed it himself. Littlefinger telling Lysa to kill Jon Arryn and pretty much instigating the events which began the war. Joffery being revealed as the one who sent the assassin to Bran.

But the most captivating part of all was by far The Red Wedding, it's my favourite part of the series by far. After reading it I flung the book aside holding my face in hands in disbelief then read it again to make sure I didn't miss something. And I didn't :( It was even more sad that Eddard's death, or when I thought Theon had found Bran and Rickon. Sure Robb caused his own downfall and wasn't a truly central character but I still liked him. Catelyn deserved it for her completely diabolical decision making. She cost him his life as much as he did.

Great book, best of the 3 I've read so far

Well:

Yes, that is the bit I was alluding to wanting to see on TV. It's just a fucking epic moment, for sure.

And Dany gets better; by the end of the current released books, she's not in the same position.
flufflogic

Postby Fallen_Angel » Feb 11th, 2012 @ 3:40pm

I've been picturing it in my head for the past week or so now, every detail from crossbow men on the balcony to Cat scratching half her own face off but it's too gruesome to imagine, so sad.

I read somewhere today that GRRM waited til had finished writing the rest of the book til he wrote the Red Wedding chapters because he felt a lot of pain. Well I'll tell ya, that's an epic portrayal of pain, I damn near cried
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby manta173 » Feb 14th, 2012 @ 2:11pm

These books are hell... sooo freaking long to get the story out.... but I'm too far in to stop. it sucks... debating getting the 5th one as I hate having to read soo much but I want to know what happens.

I'm all for long books, but these are overkill. Anyone that's read the 5th that can tell me if it's worth it or should I get the cliff notes version?
manta173

Postby Fallen_Angel » Feb 15th, 2012 @ 12:36am

manta173 wrote:These books are hell... sooo freaking long to get the story out.... but I'm too far in to stop. it sucks... debating getting the 5th one as I hate having to read soo much but I want to know what happens.

I'm all for long books, but these are overkill. Anyone that's read the 5th that can tell me if it's worth it or should I get the cliff notes version?

I hear you. Reading the first 3 was a chore but it's nice to know even the smallest of details. I only have the 4th left to read, i'm considering getting a Kindle and reading the 5th on that.
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby manta173 » Feb 15th, 2012 @ 8:43am

Fallen_Angel wrote:
manta173 wrote:These books are hell... sooo freaking long to get the story out.... but I'm too far in to stop. it sucks... debating getting the 5th one as I hate having to read soo much but I want to know what happens.

I hear you. Reading the first 3 was a chore but it's nice to know even the smallest of details. I only have the 4th left to read, i'm considering getting a Kindle and reading the 5th on that.

LOL same exact thing... not going to reread so why get a hard copy?
manta173

Postby GiantAsianMan » Feb 15th, 2012 @ 8:48am

Just realized this hadn't been posted here yet. Here's a bunch of character photos from Season 2:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/09/game- ... -2-photos/
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby ribkicker4 » Feb 15th, 2012 @ 7:39pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:Just realized this hadn't been posted here yet. Here's a bunch of character photos from Season 2:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/09/game- ... -2-photos/

Brienne is pretty spot on. A lot more uh... manly than I pictured her.
ribkicker4

Postby GiantAsianMan » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 7:55am

Trailer #2 for Season 2:

GiantAsianMan

Postby Fallen_Angel » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 8:02am

If I wasn't excited before, holy hell I am now!

One thing though, from what I gathered from the books wasn't the haunted forest more forest-y?
All I see in that trailer is snowy landscapes

Also, Melisandre hawt hawt hawt hawt
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby GiantAsianMan » Mar 5th, 2012 @ 8:56am

The Simpsons goes Game of Thrones for their intro last night:

http://io9.com/5890410/watch-the-simpso ... ones-intro
GiantAsianMan

Postby LiQuid » Mar 5th, 2012 @ 10:58am

There's no possible way I could be more hype for GoT than I already am.
LiQuid

Postby Fallen_Angel » Mar 5th, 2012 @ 2:26pm

I'm guessing you've seen the latest trailer then. Dude I'm right there with you, I might just start on book 4 now.

Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby LiQuid » Mar 5th, 2012 @ 2:42pm

I didn't watch any trailers. Trailers don't make me hype. Wanting to see
Melisandre birth a shadow demon to assassinate Renly

makes me hype.
LiQuid

Postby Fallen_Angel » Mar 5th, 2012 @ 3:25pm

Watch that latest one, it's excellent
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby LiQuid » Mar 5th, 2012 @ 3:55pm

No.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 6:49am

For those looking to delve deeper into the world of Westeros, I highly recommend the Game of Thrones Blu-ray set. One of the features is a complete history of the Westeros, which is very cool. It covers the major events of the past, with animated segments (they look kinda like motion comics) that are narrated by the characters in character (this allows them to editorialize events and give different viewpoints on the same event). As someone who hasn't read the books and is only watching the series, it was really cool to get the history in on place (as opposed to having to glean it from dialogue). And I'm told (from my brother, who's read the books) that there is more information given here than explained in the books (at least, he says it gives some definition to things and events that the books assume you already know). Definitely worth checking out.
GiantAsianMan

Postby LiQuid » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 10:51am

I would love to watch all the extras and listen to the commentaries but sadly no blue ray player. Woe is me. :(
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics