Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby LiQuid » May 3rd, 2011 @ 2:28am

kenzo wrote:Episode 3 was a good filler episode. But too many like this and the show will get boring quickly.

Have you read the books? There are going to be a lot of filler episodes... Even the exciting stuff that took entire chapters out of the book is going to be able to be whittled down to a few minute long scene in the show. We're in for a lot of people standing/sitting around talking about shit.

Also, I gotta say, god is this fantasy world generic as shit. The parallels between every video game fantasy world (Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, anything D&D) are so thick you could cut them with a knife. Though, as I'm sure I mentioned before, I'm glad a generic-ass fantasy setting is finally get a big budget, TV adaptation. Exciting as hell to watch this boring shit. :)
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 3rd, 2011 @ 3:07am

Haven't read the books. Also, I find the concept of different lengths of seasons than normal Earth interesting.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 3rd, 2011 @ 4:03am

kenzo wrote:I find the concept of different lengths of seasons than normal Earth interesting.

That's not interesting.

If I wrote a fantasy novel where a day/night cycle was 36 hours long, would that be interesting?

The answer is no. No, that would not be interesting.
LiQuid

Postby flufflogic » May 3rd, 2011 @ 4:27am

Reading the book summaries, I'm amazed he's managed to spin it out over 4 books. A lot of fantasy writers would have got most of this in 2 books, tops. Still, the show is awesome...
flufflogic

Postby Mr_eX » May 3rd, 2011 @ 4:36am

Isn't there 5 books so far?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Govir » May 3rd, 2011 @ 5:23am

Mr_eX wrote:Isn't there 5 books so far?

Yes and no. He is currently in the process of releasing the 5th book, which was suppose to be part of the 4th book but he decided to split them. The 4th and 5th book take place at the same time, but with different PoV characters.

As for the "filler" episode, I'm with LiQuid...that's going to happen more often than not. The books don't have high fantasy nor do they have a ton of battles. It's mostly political maneuvering. I feel like this episode did a lot of setup for future episodes, but that's coming from knowing what's coming up.
Govir

Postby flufflogic » May 4th, 2011 @ 3:05am

To be honest, if the series is as drawn out as the books seem to be, a lot of people are going to get really frustrated with this. It's very deliberately paced, being generous. Seeing the page count compared to the length of the summaries is terrifying.
flufflogic

Postby AJR » May 9th, 2011 @ 1:10am

LiQuid wrote:If I wrote a fantasy novel where a day/night cycle was 36 hours long

Uh-huh Uh-huh.

Tell me more.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby tnitnetny » May 9th, 2011 @ 6:18am

The second episode with the wolf made me cry even though I knew it was coming. For people that haven't read the books, don't get attached to anyone or anything is all I can say.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby DarthChris4 » May 9th, 2011 @ 9:09am

i've read the books and love them. currently re-reading them before book 5 comes out in july.

the books have a lot of slow buildup, which generally doesn't translate well to tv shows, but HBO has been pretty supportive of GRRM and the story. so they'll be as true to the story as GRRM wants, but HBO is probably asking for more T&A since the action is few and far between.

in the books the direwolves grow into giant animals, so while they are still pups in the first episodes they would actually look as big as the dogs they have in the show. they might switch to CG wolves as the season progresses because they'll be getting larger.

it's good to hear it's been renewed for a second season. i read that each season would cover 1 book. not sure how many episodes per season though. the way the episodes are progressing now, the first season will be longer than HBO's normal 10-12 episode seasons.
DarthChris4

Postby flufflogic » May 9th, 2011 @ 11:41am

Yeah, when I heard "dire wolves" I expected them to be at least the size of lions. About the size of the werewolves in Twilight, but less stupid looking.
flufflogic

Postby Govir » May 9th, 2011 @ 12:11pm

DarthChris4 wrote:the way the episodes are progressing now, the first season will be longer than HBO's normal 10-12 episode seasons.

I read somewhere that the first season was 10 episodes, and covered the whole first book. I don't remember where I read that though :(.
Govir

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 9th, 2011 @ 12:21pm

Govir wrote:
DarthChris4 wrote:the way the episodes are progressing now, the first season will be longer than HBO's normal 10-12 episode seasons.

I read somewhere that the first season was 10 episodes, and covered the whole first book. I don't remember where I read that though :(.

Yes, the first season is 10 episodes. As to how far along in the book(s) that takes us, I don't think that's been explicitly said by anyone in the production, but the general assumption is that it'll cover the first book. Could be more, could be less, it could depend on the individual storyline. Who knows what they'll feel like doing.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby DarthChris4 » May 9th, 2011 @ 1:38pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:Yes, the first season is 10 episodes. As to how far along in the book(s) that takes us, I don't think that's been explicitly said by anyone in the production, but the general assumption is that it'll cover the first book. Could be more, could be less, it could depend on the individual storyline. Who knows what they'll feel like doing.

i figured the season would be 10 eps. i was trying to say that the speed the season was progressing led me to believe it would take longer. hopefully they don't cut out too much stuff, there's still a lot of story the book goes through for 6 episodes left.
DarthChris4

Postby kenzo » May 9th, 2011 @ 2:13pm

I kind of ignored the last episode. It was kind of slow/uneventful, and I was doing other things. This show is turning out to basically be a medieval soap opera.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 9th, 2011 @ 2:35pm

kenzo wrote:I kind of ignored the last episode. It was kind of slow/uneventful, and I was doing other things. This show is turning out to basically be a medieval soap opera.

Stop watching it. It's not for you.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 9th, 2011 @ 2:36pm

Or you can wait until next week when an actual battle is going to happen and then stop watching if that's all you care about.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 9th, 2011 @ 2:45pm

LiQuid wrote:
kenzo wrote:I kind of ignored the last episode. It was kind of slow/uneventful, and I was doing other things. This show is turning out to basically be a medieval soap opera.
Stop watching it. It's not for you.
I watch Mad Men. This show is definitely for me. It just isn't what I thought it was going to be.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 9th, 2011 @ 3:42pm

Well if that was slow/uneventful for you I don't know what you're waiting for. Jon and Sam bro-ing out, Dany asserting herself, Ned learning about the king's bastard, and Tyrion getting discovered are all noteworthy events. I thought it was a great episode. Dinklage is hands down the most perfect casting choice in the history of TV. I hate to be another one of those guys that's all like *swoon* Tyrion! *swoon* but he's so easy to love.
LiQuid

Postby lemon-fresh » May 9th, 2011 @ 4:16pm

lemon-fresh wrote:ugh... talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk... Magic missile pew pew... talk talk talk... tittie... talk talk... dragon pew pew... talk talk talk talk talk talk talk... etc.
lemon-fresh

Postby kenzo » May 9th, 2011 @ 5:02pm

I thought it was pretty funny when that one chick was getting off to that guy talking about dragons.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 9th, 2011 @ 5:13pm

kenzo wrote:I thought it was pretty funny when that one chick was getting off to that guy talking about dragons.
LiQuid wrote:http://twitter.com/#!/BoweKnows/statuses/67461309477814272
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 9th, 2011 @ 5:17pm

Sorry, I don't do the twitters.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 9th, 2011 @ 5:46pm

I don't "do the twitters" either, whatever that may mean, but that doesn't stop me from looking at a silly comments posted on the internet, regardless of what website it was posted to.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 9th, 2011 @ 7:01pm

It's twitter. 140 characters tops. Can't you just copy & paste?
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 9th, 2011 @ 8:00pm

No because I didn't want to misappropriate it as my own thought. It takes literally 1 seconds to click on the link, lazy.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 9th, 2011 @ 8:23pm

LiQuid wrote:No because I didn't want to misappropriate it as my own thought.
That's what these quote things are for.

LiQuid wrote:It takes literally 1 seconds to click on the link, lazy.
Probably less, but convenience isn't the reason I abstain from the twitters.
kenzo

Postby indieinsd » May 11th, 2011 @ 12:40am

Why don't either of you use twitter? I understand passing on fb and etc, but twitter is not intrusive and gives 'the net' a more global community vibe than any other social network.

I really like twitter.
indieinsd

Postby flufflogic » May 12th, 2011 @ 11:35am

I loves me Twitter; mainly because, like Tumblr, I choose what I see, and if I don't like it, I just unfollow.
flufflogic

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics