Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby kenzo » May 12th, 2011 @ 11:58am

indieinsd wrote:Why don't either of you use twitter?
Because life shouldn't be distilled down into poorly written 140 character phrases? Because I think all these "social" websites are a poor excuse for actually socializing with people?
Last edited by kenzo on May 12th, 2011 @ 12:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 12th, 2011 @ 12:35pm

I don't consider Twitter a social website. It's a vehicle for sharing trivialities. I personally don't feel I have any trivialities worth sharing but I enjoy reading those of others, on rare occasion. You just have to find the right accounts to follow. Like I never, ever again, for the rest of my life want to be in the dark about what's going on with wolf puppy.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 16th, 2011 @ 2:12am

This week's episode is an early front runner for best hour of television we're likely to see in 2011.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 16th, 2011 @ 4:05am

LiQuid wrote:This week's episode is an early front runner for best hour of television we're likely to see in 2011.

I was greatly entertained. Wouldn't put it as a front runner for anything though.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » May 16th, 2011 @ 6:21am

That was great. This show is pretty quickly becoming one of my favorites and the best part is it already got picked up for another season.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » May 16th, 2011 @ 9:52am

kenzo wrote:
LiQuid wrote:This week's episode is an early front runner for best hour of television we're likely to see in 2011.

I was greatly entertained. Wouldn't put it as a front runner for anything though.

It was better than this week's Doctor Snooze, which you apparently think is one of the best episodes of that ever.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » May 16th, 2011 @ 11:14am

LiQuid wrote:
kenzo wrote:

It was better than this week's Doctor Snooze, which you apparently think is one of the best episodes of that ever.

A lot of peopole think that.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » May 16th, 2011 @ 11:18am

You know who thinks that? Fucking clueless nerds that don't think Neil Gaiman is a boring hack of a writer.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » May 16th, 2011 @ 11:28am

Don't let Higgins hear you say that.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby flufflogic » May 16th, 2011 @ 12:30pm

LiQuid wrote:You know who thinks that? Fucking clueless nerds that don't think Neil Gaiman is a boring hack of a writer.

So, uh, no. Mass consensus is it was brilliant, as 89% gave it 8 or above. And that's on the biggest DW fansite there is.
flufflogic

Postby LiQuid » May 16th, 2011 @ 1:08pm

That poll is total bullshit. Every one of those responses save the last one has some level of positivity. Where was that even from? I'd wager either some Doctor Who megafan site, or Neil Gaiman's blog.

Also, I don't think the episode was some steaming pile. I just thought it was boring, the TARDIS personification sucked and the monster of the week was nothing more than a pointless plot device. That was about as far from a "great" episode of Doctor Who as last weeks silly pirate episode.
LiQuid

Postby flufflogic » May 17th, 2011 @ 5:35am

I told you where it's from: the biggest DW info forum there is. For comparison:
That's the episode before. Nowhere near as top-heavy on scoring. And then there's the endless stream of positive reviews from professional critics.

It really is a small percentage of people who didn't love it!

Any, GoT. Still 2 episodes behind; any indicators where the series will end yet? Is it a season a book?
flufflogic

Postby Govir » May 17th, 2011 @ 8:39am

flufflogic wrote:Any, GoT. Still 2 episodes behind; any indicators where the series will end yet? Is it a season a book?

I remember hearing that Season 1 would cover the whole first book. And judging by what I know happens at the end of the first book and the title of the last episode (found here), then it is going to cover the whole book.
Govir

Postby flufflogic » May 17th, 2011 @ 3:04pm

Govir wrote:
flufflogic wrote:Any, GoT. Still 2 episodes behind; any indicators where the series will end yet? Is it a season a book?

I remember hearing that Season 1 would cover the whole first book. And judging by what I know happens at the end of the first book and the title of the last episode (found here), then it is going to cover the whole book.

It does sound like it's referring to the end of book events, yes. Hmm. Interesting.
flufflogic

Postby LiQuid » May 19th, 2011 @ 6:39pm

Since the show was catching up to where I left off in the book I decided to marathon a bunch of it while not paying attention to video games. Turns out I left off right before the shit absolutely hit the fan! Getting kind of interesting. It sucks knowing that there's 4 books out there and that people already know what's going to happen to a lot of these characters and not being able to get through it faster cause there are definitely some folks in this that I want to get theirs.
LiQuid

Postby indieinsd » May 19th, 2011 @ 9:02pm

I'm just glad the show is good so I dont have to read those fucking books. I also like how it hasn't gotten 'too fantasy' yet. I hope it never does, just keep with the scheming and sister fucking, I don't need know wizards or dragons. Maybe way later in the series when it has earned it.
indieinsd

Postby LiQuid » May 19th, 2011 @ 9:05pm

Well there's dragon eggs, so I'm guessing there will eventually be dragons. Also I can confirm that there are zombies.
LiQuid

Postby Govir » May 21st, 2011 @ 12:29am

indieinsd wrote:I'm just glad the show is good so I dont have to read those fucking books. I also like how it hasn't gotten 'too fantasy' yet. I hope it never does, just keep with the scheming and sister fucking, I don't need know wizards or dragons. Maybe way later in the series when it has earned it.

Not really a spoiler, but maybe for people that are super sensitive. You're good for a while. Nothing crazy magic wise happens, but there are more and more hints of it as the books progress. Definitely nothing like epic battles with wizards throwing fireballs. I predict his current book (A Dance with Dragons) will contain more of the mystical, but this is very much a "Low Fantasy" setting.
Govir

Postby LiQuid » May 23rd, 2011 @ 12:55am

Another great episode. Viserys' crown was way cooler than it was in my head. Loved Tyrion trolling Lysa's court. Not sure why the attack on Bran was so shitty though. In the book it was a fucking bloodbath and there was a sick ass dire wolfing. Not sure why they are downplaying the wolves in the show. They seemed like a much bigger deal in the book.

They seem to be diverging a bit more lately, no doubt for the sake of brevity, clarity or entertainment value, like changing the Arya/Sansa fight into a Sansa/Prince Dickface love scene, or adding the stupid hole in the ground during the trial by combat.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 23rd, 2011 @ 1:56am

I liked this episode, but I'm kind of confused about some of the shit that happened. I might have to rewatch this (and previous episodes). To many of the characters' names mix together in my head at this point. Also, I should probably put the laptop down and stop websurfing while watching this show.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 23rd, 2011 @ 2:13am

1. Stop surfing while watching.

2. Check the wiki.

Even while listening to the book I find myself pausing on occasion to check a summary or click around the wiki to make sure I'm absorbing it properly. The show is actually drastically dummied down from the book as far as just the sheer number of names thrown at you. The book honestly makes me wonder if GRRM doesn't just have some generic fantasy name generator on hand.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 23rd, 2011 @ 4:13am

LiQuid wrote: Loved Tyrion trolling Lysa's court.

This was all I could think about during that scene:

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Mr_eX » May 23rd, 2011 @ 6:03am

Dragon king douche guy was better in

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » May 23rd, 2011 @ 12:13pm

You're nuts, eX.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » May 29th, 2011 @ 8:19pm

This show is great.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Rosered » May 30th, 2011 @ 12:06am

Geeze I love Littlefinger so much. What a great character
Rosered

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2011 @ 12:08am

It's so amazing. I was dying laughing during the Littlefinger/whore scene. The Dothraki stuff has been so good. I love how amusingly low rent it is compared to the rest of the show. Starting to legitimately like the show better than the book. Stuff like the scene with Jaime and Tywin just isn't possible in the book due to the use of PoV characters and they really help build them as antagonists. Finally gonna pull the trigger and listen to the last 10 chapters I need to finish the book cause I can't handle not knowing how this ends up. I have a feeling the book and show are going to end on a retarded cliffhanger that's going to make me want to jump on the second one right away. :(
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 30th, 2011 @ 1:11pm

I already want everyone except the midget to die in this show.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2011 @ 1:16pm

kenzo wrote:I already want everyone except the midget to die in this show.

That's not fair! Dany of the Dothraki are amazing and Jon, Bran and Arya are all going to be great characters when they grow up.

Also, if I were a betting man I'd say you're probably going to get your wish anyways. I took a look at the list of PoV characters in book two and there are a few notable omissions.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 30th, 2011 @ 2:23pm

LiQuid wrote:
kenzo wrote:I already want everyone except the midget to die in this show.
That's not fair!
It's totally fair. Everyone in this show is a total asshole with their own dumbass agenda. It's very clear that the few decent people who exist in this show (e.g. House Stark) are going to get reamed in the ass for being too naive/trusting/whatever. And since we know that the books for this go on forever, that any victories any good guys have can only be fleeting. So if this is going to be one of those shows that I can't have anyone to root for because the good guys are always getting boned in the ass, then I want everyone to die except for the characters that highly amuse me. And so far, that's only the midget.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics