Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Terra Nova, or: Land of the LOST (get it?)

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 27th, 2011 @ 9:07pm

Rodney wrote:I watched about 20 minutes of Terra Nova. Apparently it's getting glowing reviews and everyone is on board. This show is a disaster of biblical proportions. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria, etc.

Which 20 minutes?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby DarthChris4 » Sep 27th, 2011 @ 11:30pm

Spoiler: show
I like how the kids are super worried about their dad not making it into the portal, and then the son is all douchey to the dad once they get through. "Ohhhhhh, you're so mean for being in jail for 2 whole years and now that you're out and we're in this strange new timeline/spacetime I hate you!" The son is already an annoying douche. I imagine he'll join the bad guys at some point in this season and then they'll have to go in and rescue him.

Also, they make it pretty clear at some point early on that there is no communication between the two worlds. But all the higher ups seem to have intel about incoming shipments and personnel from the future timeline.
DarthChris4

Postby LiQuid » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 12:31am

God the writing in this show is SOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. So many shitty tropes from other shitty survival shows. The Man vs. Man factions from Lost, the bratty asshole teenagers from V. All of the characters are aggressively annoying. I hate shows like this that make the protagonists so disgusting that you want nothing more than for them to die horrific deaths but then refuse to kill anybody off. That said, I absolutely love cheering for the dinosaurs, so I'm definitely gonna keep watching and praying that they kill some of these idiots off.
LiQuid

Postby MrBiggs » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 6:25am

Spoiler: show
Now that you say that I find myself really upset that we didn't get to see anyone die via dino.
MrBiggs

Postby GiantAsianMan » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 8:14am

I'm taking the spoiler tag off because I don't think anything here is a spoiler (because if you haven't watched the show yet, why are you reading this thread?).
DarthChris4 wrote:I like how the kids are super worried about their dad not making it into the portal, and then the son is all douchey to the dad once they get through. "Ohhhhhh, you're so mean for being in jail for 2 whole years and now that you're out and we're in this strange new timeline/spacetime I hate you!" The son is already an annoying douche. I imagine he'll join the bad guys at some point in this season and then they'll have to go in and rescue him.

This is probably due to the fact that this was the 3rd version of the pilot. The original pilot had the marriage between the Shannons on the rocks prior to them going back in time and the family dynamic was complete different. Some of that marital tension was left in (probably because they didn't have time/money to change it) during the second half of the episode, when they fight while going to look for their stupid teenage kid.

I also think the show originally started with the scene in the jail, and you only find out about why he was in jail and who he was before (aka a cop) after the reach Terra Nova. Also, by starting in the jail, you don't know about the third kid, which makes the reveal once they go through the portal an actual reveal (because seriously, was there anyone watching that *didn't* know the kid was in the pack?). That was diminished completely by the opening scene where the dad gets arrested. The original also explained (sort of) why they broke the law and had a 3rd kid; it was an attempt to save there marriage (or something; because when you have marital strife, the thing to do to save your marriage is deliberately break the law to purposely put more strain and stress on your family). As is it now, they broke the law and had a 3rd kid because, aww, they love each other soooooo much.

The producers have said that they've toned down the teenaged son character (in terms of his stupid douchey angsty rebelliousness, I believe), so we'll see how that works going forward. But I don't have much faith that this show will do anything good in terms of character development.

Also, they make it pretty clear at some point early on that there is no communication between the two worlds. But all the higher ups seem to have intel about incoming shipments and personnel from the future timeline.

Actually, I don't think they did. They said that you can only cross one-way through the portal (future into the past), but they never said they didn't have communications. So maybe sound and/or data can flow freely. Who knows.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby LiQuid » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 11:11am

I don't know where you got all your SICK INSIDER INFO, Asian Man, but that sheds so much light on why this pilot was such a fucking debacle. I feel like more than a few focus groups and big wigs' filthy mitts made their way into bringing us this messy pilot. I really hope it manages to pull itself out of the rut, if nothing else than for the dinosaurs' sake.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 11:57am

LiQuid wrote:I don't know where you got all your SICK INSIDER INFO, Asian Man, but that sheds so much light on why this pilot was such a fucking debacle. I feel like more than a few focus groups and big wigs' filthy mitts made their way into bringing us this messy pilot. I really hope it manages to pull itself out of the rut, if nothing else than for the dinosaurs' sake.

I read/follow a lot of TV critics. I follow TV like most of you follow games and/or comics. Not as obsessively as I follow sports, but a close second. And yes, I believe it was focus groups and test screenings that lead them to change the family dynamic and add more exposition to the pilot. It was pretty much unanimous from TV critics that the original pilot was pretty good and that each successive version made it worse and worse. Like I said before, I don't have much faith that the show will accomplish anything substantial character-wise, but it'll look pretty while it does it.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 2:45pm

Mr_eX wrote:
LiQuid wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:I'm sure you think it is. My point was that you said you shouldn't care what anyone else's opinion on something is, yet you bothered to mention how the poll backed your picks for week 2 of the DC new 52.

It's good when my opinion is vindicated by the masses, but I hardly allow them to dictate what I consume or enjoy. Also, in this case, the fact that Terra Nova's gonna rock has kinda already been vindicated by the masses anyways, so it's a win/win and you should watch it. :D

Jinpei only watches cartoons.

eX only watches subpar action series.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 2:55pm

I watch subpar shows in lots of genres but if you're talking about Nikita again you might want to give the show a shot before passing judgement on it based on what network it's on.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 2:57pm

Mr_eX wrote:I watch subpar shows in lots of genres but if you're talking about Nikita again you might want to give the show a shot before passing judgement on it based on what network it's on.

I did. It sucked. Deal with it. Even LiQuid thinks this show sucks. The only reason he's watching is for the dinosaurs.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 3:19pm

To be fair I think everything sucks. If you liked Lost even a tiny itty bit, this should be your new favorite show.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 3:20pm

Also, it should be noted that even though Terra Nova sucked shit through a fire hose I loved the fuck out of it. I'm thinking about watching it again.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 3:44pm

Hated LOST, gave it a full season to grab me.

Will give this a shot in in the interest of fairness.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 3:50pm

There are a few exceptions but for the most part pilots are bad because they're all exposition and they don't have the characters figures out yet. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of characters act complety different in future episodes. For Terra Nova being as entertaining as it I'd call it a giant success for a pilot.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 7:31pm

jinpei05 wrote:Hated LOST, gave it a full season to grab me.

That explains so much... :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 7:07am

Master Higgins wrote:

Sure does. Like how I give things more than a fair chance to grab me and how I'm not swayed by popular opinion. :roll:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 3:01pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Sure does. Like how I give things more than a fair chance to grab me and how I'm not swayed by popular opinion. :roll:

You are swayed more by popular opinion than anyone else on this forum.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 3:21pm

Mr_eX wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

LiQuid

Postby Konanda » Sep 30th, 2011 @ 5:01am

Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 30th, 2011 @ 9:25am

Mr_eX wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Is this the part when where I get riled up? Guess I would if this were in any way, shape, or form true.

Troll harder, eX. :roll:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby DarthChris4 » Oct 3rd, 2011 @ 8:40pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:Actually, I don't think they did. They said that you can only cross one-way through the portal (future into the past), but they never said they didn't have communications. So maybe sound and/or data can flow freely. Who knows.

I think you're right. I don't remember hearing about communication being affected. I just assumed it was based on what the older son's girlfriend said about one way trips.
DarthChris4

Postby kenzo » Oct 3rd, 2011 @ 11:05pm

I bet that there will be a massively retarded massive twist in this story, like it turns out that Terra Nova is actually the future.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Oct 3rd, 2011 @ 11:49pm

kenzo wrote:I bet that there will be a massively retarded massive twist in this story, like it turns out that Terra Nova is actually the future.

Did you watch the pilot? They made it pretty explicit that most residents of the colony think they're in an alternate time path from the future they left so that the butterfly effect wouldn't be in play, but that there was a group of colonists still trying to alter their future timeline. I imagine that the big "twist" (it won't be a twist) is that there is a way for them to get back to, or at least communicate with, the time that they left and that things they do in Terra Nova will be able to effect their fucked up future time...

...If the show makes it that long.
LiQuid

Postby MrBiggs » Oct 4th, 2011 @ 5:58am

Well the boy wasn't quite so annoying this week, just the normal teenage kind of annoying, which I can deal with. The dad picked up the slack though with how horny and jealous he was.
MrBiggs

Postby LiQuid » Oct 4th, 2011 @ 10:30pm

So glad I'm watching a show about MOTHERFUCKING DINOSAURS so that I could watch a shitty remake of The Birds. This show has so much potential but it really needs to fucking step it up.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 6th, 2011 @ 9:42pm

I'm liking it so far, but you know shows always take a few episodes to get into the meat of the show. I'll give them a few more weeks before I really judge the show, but I'm enjoying it.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Oct 6th, 2011 @ 9:57pm

I thought the second episode was garbage. Not a single fucking dinosaur in the entire episode.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 6th, 2011 @ 10:56pm

The son was much better in the second episode.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby GiantAsianMan » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 12:12pm

LiQuid wrote:I thought the second episode was garbage. Not a single fucking dinosaur in the entire episode.

Except for the pterosaurs that were the focus of the entire episode. Or are you not counting those?
GiantAsianMan

Postby LiQuid » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 2:46pm

They TOTALLY don't count. Unless it's fucking Mothra sized Pterasaur that can swoop down and swallow a motherfucker in a single gulp, that shit don't count. Those weak ass swarming piece of shit little birdies weren't even as cool as the ones in Pitch Black that will pick your meat clean off your bones the instant they touch you. Fuck those birds and fuck that ep.
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics