Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

New Year of Movie Box 1/7-1/forever: MACROSS PLUS

Postby kenzo » Jan 7th, 2013 @ 8:33am

New year, same old tricks.

Macross Plus comes in "The Movie" and original OVA flavors. I prefer the OVA but you can watch either for the purpose of this movie box. The OVA is readily available for streaming on Hulu and YouTube in English Dubs (which is surprisingly competent considering this was a dub from the 90s).

This is probably my favorite anime of all time. Enjoy!

http://www.hulu.com/macross-plus
http://www.youtube.com/show?p=Cpin-kFPFdI
Last edited by kenzo on Jan 8th, 2013 @ 3:39am, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Re: New Year of Movie Box 1/7-1/forever: MACROSS PLUS

Postby darfox8 » Jan 7th, 2013 @ 9:22pm

:lol: :lol: Did you tell ex you were making this thread?
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby dakazu » Jan 8th, 2013 @ 1:53am

This thread should be ok. Just edit your post to include a link to the movie(youtube/hulu) an add a poster.
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Jan 8th, 2013 @ 3:40am

darfox8 wrote::lol: :lol: Did you tell ex you were making this thread?
Nope. But I'm tired of that guy picking the dumbest images to represent my moviebox picks. Plus I was bored at work.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jan 8th, 2013 @ 4:13am

This movie is, for the most part, a stand alone tale that you can understand most of what's going on by paying attention. But it is a sequel to an older series called "Super Dimensional Fortress: Macross," and takes place a good 30 years after the events of that show. Some cliffnotes on the events of the franchise up to that point:

• Alien space ship crash lands on Earth in the distant future of the year 2000.
  • This technological and philosophical revelation unites humanity (after some bloodshed, of course) and the UN rebuilds/retrofits the crashed space ship into the titular "Super Dimensional Fortress: Macross," or SDF-1 to help prepare for the possible (probable) encounter of more aliens in the future.
  • Upon the SDF-1's completion in the even more distant future of 2009, alien ships appear in orbit, hunting down and attacking the SDF-1 (because it was originally an enemy ship to this batch of aliens), and the SDF-1 initiates it's experimental FTL-drive in order to escape.
  • Their FTL-drive craps out and the crew finds itself marooned in orbit around Pluto. This begins its year long trek back to Earth, fighting the Zentradi aliens along the way.
  • The Zentradi could probably kill the SDF-1 at any moment, but are more curious about them than anything so combat is limited mostly to skirmishes.
  • It turns out, the Zentradi are mostly humans - a common ancestor of humans (ancient aliens!) genetically engineered them to be self-sufficient warriors to fight their wars by proxy, but then died out/disappeared/whatever. Some Zentradi want to learn more about humanity and are enthralled by Earth-culture (epitomized in the form of music). Others however, fear humanity and the taint of their culture.
  • A giant armada shows up in orbit to exterminate humanity, and largely succeeds - bombarding the surface of Earth to oblivion.
  • The leader of the armada also begins plans to purge his fleet of anyone who made contact with the humans and therefore had any exposure to human culture - the SDF-1 rallies about half of the enemy fleet behind it to lead a coup and end the bloodshed.
  • The SDF-1, and the pithy remnants of humanity settle down on Earth, begin rebuilding, and also integrating any Zentradi who wishes to join their society (since the human gene pool is now remarkably shallow, Zentradi can intermarry and procreate with normal people, and allying with them benefits human security).
  • In 2012, Earth launches the SDF-2, beginning a UN policy of stellar colonization - in the hopes that if Earth was ever attacked again, that humanity would live on elsewhere.

Macross Plus takes place largely on one of Earth's first colonies.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 8th, 2013 @ 7:11am

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby totoro » Jan 10th, 2013 @ 11:48am

Just to prove that nothing is going right for me today, the Hulu/Plus version is web only. #hulufail #firstworldproblems
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby kenzo » Jan 11th, 2013 @ 3:17am

I can hook you up with some files.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 11th, 2013 @ 7:11am

Youtube link doesn't work
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jan 11th, 2013 @ 2:11pm

Mr_eX wrote:Youtube link doesn't work

It does, just not on consoles or or phones. Just compys. Its an older youtube file. Again' if any of yous wants some files I got em.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 5:02am

Justed finished the dubbed episodes on Hulu. A few thoughts...

-Dub it surreal with the guy from Breaking Bad interacting with Battou from Ghost in the Shell but they're both give a good performance. The dub script has some silly lines like "I'm gonna have to cut out the limiter... AND TAKE IT TO THE EDGE!" The English Myung, Anne Sherman, was not good. Also FUCKING STEVE BLUM strikes again.

-This is my first time seeing the episodes as apposed to the movie and I think I prefer the movie better.
Spoiler: show
Guld's death scene is far more epic

And I like how they don't play the main song 'Voices' until the ending credits on top of the scene of the 3 of them hanging out on the hill with the windmills.

-I actually disliked most of music from this series unlike Yoko Kanno's other works like Escaflowne or Cowboy Bebop. Also the song during the flight of the Macross, 'A Sai En'
made me realize she worked on Ghost in the Shell SAC because it sounds just like the opening 'Inner Universe'

Also, let's be honest because I know darfox will agree with me. This is the best Yoko Kanno song!
Last edited by dakazu on Jan 13th, 2013 @ 1:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
dakazu

Postby totoro » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 7:28am

I just don't hear Bryan Cranston in there.
totoro

Postby darfox8 » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 8:02am

Yeah you can only really hear it when he screams or when he's agitated. Which is pretty impressive really.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby totoro » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 12:06pm

I don't hate this, but I'm not loving it either. I've got 30 minutes of this left (had to take time out to watch my Hoosiers) so maybe something will get me going in the remainder.
totoro

Postby darfox8 » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 12:12pm

I finished the episode version I'm gonna see if I can watch the movie version now so I can better compare. But my general opinion is that this show is pretty cool. Most of the characters are likable and none are really annoying(except maybe some of the delivery of the main female lead) but what I like the most is the visuals and the us of the music, which you'd expect from this staff.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 12:47pm

dakazu wrote:-Dub it surreal with the guy from Breaking Bad interacting with Battou from Ghost in the Shell but they're both give a good performance. The dub script has some silly lines like "I'm gonna have to cut out the limiter... AND TAKE IT TO THE EDGE!" The English Myung, Anne Sherman, was not good. Also FUCKING STEVE BLUM strikes again.
The dub is a 90s dub, and when put into that context it's possibly the best dub of the entire era (except maybe the Akira dub from back then and the Mononoke Hime dub). My favorite quote is when Isamu (of all people) taunts people with "SLACKERS!" Myung is bad. I guess that is Battou, huh? When I hear him though, I hear Jigen from Lupin.

dakazu wrote:This is my first time seeing the episodes as apposed to the movie and I think I prefer the movie better.
Guld's death scene is far more epic
I've found that most people latch onto the version they saw first and prefer that. As for the thing in the spoiler you've got, I prefer the OVA version of those events. In fact, I was put off the first time I saw this version, and it was a microcosm for my entire feelings on the movie edition. I prefer the OVA version because of the ambiguity involved. The movie edition tends to tell the audience members very literally what's happening, either by showing it to us instead of alluding to it, or by having the cast say exactly what they're thinking rather than simply alluding to their feelings in dialog.

dakazu wrote:-I actually disliked most of music from this series unlike Yoko Kanno's other works like Escaflowne or Cowboy Bebop.
Wut

dakazu wrote:Also, let's be honest because I know darfox will agree with me. This is the best Yoko Kanno song!
You don't like the music in this, or friggin' Yoko Kanno singing in Zentradi, but you like "She's incredible math"??? You're dead to me.

totoro wrote:I just don't hear Bryan Cranston in there.
I never knew it was the same person until someone pointed it out to me. But now, all I hear is Malcom in the Middle's dad. TBH, it's kinda ruined the dub for me because it pulls me out a little. But he still does a pretty great voice acting job for it to not be super obvious. Dude has range.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 2:06pm

kenzo wrote:
dakazu wrote:Also, let's be honest because I know darfox will agree with me. This is the best Yoko Kanno song!
You don't like the music in this, or friggin' Yoko Kanno singing in Zentradi, but you like "She's incredible math"??? You're dead to me.

Duh, I'm joking.
dakazu

Postby totoro » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 2:31pm

Some of the music I liked, but not the Sharon Apple stuff.

in the fourth episode I like how the music reminded me of...

...certain scenes in Star Trek: TOS, especially during the battle scenes. Had a feel of some of those space battles or something like Amok Time.

I was also thinking that some of the parts in fourth episode felt like something Joe Hisaishi would have done in a Miyazaki movie, just kind of evocative of that style.
totoro

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 8:21pm

I didn't hate this anime as much as other animes you guys have made me watch
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby darfox8 » Jan 13th, 2013 @ 11:13pm

Just wait till later in the movie box season! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
darfox8

Forum Statistics