Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Agents of SHIELD

Postby Toby » May 12th, 2013 @ 10:55pm

I'm sure everyone already seen this, but either way, I'm excited about it. Hoping that's Luke Cage and hoping for a Heroes for Hire spin off already. And hiring a hapa chick to be in cast is a nice touch too! :D
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Re: Agents of SHIELD

Postby LiQuid » May 12th, 2013 @ 11:48pm

Reeeeeeally glad they aren't shying away from the fact that this show takes place in a world with fucking superheroes. Marvel GETS it.

Arrow is one of the most fun shows on TV right now but it's not a show about superheros.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » May 13th, 2013 @ 1:30pm

Will watch
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » May 15th, 2013 @ 6:16am

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » May 15th, 2013 @ 8:40am

Jesus christ the non-asian chick is fucking terrible. Where does Joss get these actresses?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 15th, 2013 @ 8:42am

Man, Whedon's writing delivered by terrible actors is some of the worst shit of all time. Remember Storm's toad hit by lightning line? I have a feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of that here.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » May 15th, 2013 @ 10:15am

I can see that happening at first but they'll start writing for the actors eventually
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 24th, 2013 @ 8:12pm

It was OK. Not as good as Arrow or as fun as Sleepy Hollow.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby DarthEnder » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 5:48am

I liked it. Not as much as I liked Whedon's other shows, but then, it's just the first episode. Buffy wasn't great right away either.

Black guy was not named Luke Cage, and that's not okay!

Chun Li is looking old, and that makes me sad...
DarthEnder

Postby GiantAsianMan » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 7:14am

It was an okay pilot. I thought there were some clunky parts, but given that it had to bridge from the existing movie universe, I think that was to be expected. Pilot episodes typically have to accomplish two main things: establish the world and establish the characters. Thanks to the movies, the first one was pretty much already done for them, so what they were left with was trying to explain the universe of the show to people that may not be intimately familiar with the movies while also not just recapping everything again for those that are. This lead to the aforementioned clunky parts (like constantly having to reference characters and event from both The Avengers and Iron Man 3). Hopefully, they get all of that out of their system in the pilot, and subsequent episodes can just be about the show, with only occasional nods to the movies. The show has to work on it's own as a show for it to have any chance of being good (or even okay).

As for the characters, the Whedon dialogue can cover for a lot, but even with that, I found the hacker and Agent DudeBro fairly bland. That's got to change going forward, especially with the hacker girl because it appears (right now, at least) that she's the audience's proxy into the world of SHIELD (since she was the only one not initially with SHIELD). If you don't care about her, you're not going to care about what's happening. I liked the other characters just fine. The Fitz-Simmons duo is like a Whedon-dialogue wet dream; they're basically the Fran Kranz character from Dollhouse if he had been able to converse with himself (which actually happened in Dollhouse). All Whedon shows are driven by character, so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out on this show with it's more procedural-type nature, and without Whedon's day-to-day supervision.

Overall, I think it did a competent job. I think the show has the potential for good-ness and watchability, but not greatness. And given that's how I view the Marvel movies, I'd be fine with just that.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby totoro » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 9:57am

I thought the first episode was fine. It's setting the stage for some other stuff to happen and that's fine. The best thing to come out of the whole show was MrsT seeing the trailer for Thor during the commercials and realizing that she hasn't seen the first one.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby manta173 » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 10:24am

I thought it had just the right amount of camp... now that we are past the pilot... things can get going.
manta173

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 11:47am

I did not like it.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby darfox8 » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 12:12pm

GASP!

Having heard so-so opinions about it I probably won't seek this out until I hear it gets really good or something. Did they explain how Agent Agent comes back to life?
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby meDotJS » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 12:58pm

I liked it.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby kenzo » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 3:09pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:Overall, I think it did a competent job. I think the show has the potential for good-ness and watchability, but not greatness. And given that's how I view the Marvel movies, I'd be fine with just that.
This is the most incredibly lukewarm and unenthusiastic recommendation for watching something ever. It really sounds like you struggled hard to justify this one.

I won't even give this show one episode because I just don't have time to devote to something that by all accounts sounds thoroughly mediocre and unentertaining in every sense. I have way better TV I need to catch up with like Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men, I don't have time for this shit.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 3:16pm

I love how everything is a fucking crusade with you.
LiQuid

Postby meDotJS » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 3:20pm

You guys are giving Agents of SHIELD too much shit. It's enjoyable. They might have to work around with some of the characters until they find a good fit, but it's the pilot, that's no surprise.
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby kenzo » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 3:27pm

LiQuid wrote:I love how everything is a fucking crusade with you.
I learned from the best!
kenzo

Postby jw_6179 » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 8:06pm

I did not like it, but, it's the pilot. Shows can change a lot from their pilot, so I am not going to write it off.

I totally thought Gunn was going to be Luke Cage though.

I just don't have time to devote to something that by all accounts sounds thoroughly mediocre and unentertaining in every sense.

Speaking of mediocre shows...

I have way better TV I need to catch up with like Boardwalk Empire
jw_6179

Postby dakazu » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 8:25pm

After all the hype I thought it was hilarious how much this show was like NCIS, CSI or any other procedural shows. Unless I hear it get's better, I'll stick with Arrow and Sleepy Hollow.
dakazu

Postby DarthEnder » Sep 26th, 2013 @ 2:28am

darfox8 wrote:Did they explain how Agent Agent comes back to life?
Yes, but then they imply that the explanation given isn't the truth.
DarthEnder

Postby manta173 » Sep 27th, 2013 @ 1:16pm

meDotJS wrote:You guys are giving Agents of SHIELD too much shit. It's enjoyable. They might have to work around with some of the characters until they find a good fit, but it's the pilot, that's no surprise.

I liked it... good lighthearted procedural with occasional superpowers. Just because it isn't dark and gritty people seem to give it a lot of shit.
manta173

Postby jw_6179 » Sep 28th, 2013 @ 3:32pm

manta173 wrote:
meDotJS wrote:You guys are giving Agents of SHIELD too much shit. It's enjoyable. They might have to work around with some of the characters until they find a good fit, but it's the pilot, that's no surprise.
Just because it isn't dark and gritty people seem to give it a lot of shit.

Er, what? No? You are projecting.

People thought "The Avengers" was fine. Amazing, really. Nobody I know wanted grimdark for the TV show. What I wanted was more Whedon influence than I am feeling from the pilot and less NCIS Superhero Division. Sorry, but the procedural never was my cup of tea.
jw_6179

Postby DukeTogo » Sep 28th, 2013 @ 6:10pm

I thought the show was decent, but not great. Whedon shows, and it remains to be seen whether this can actually be considered one, don't usually have great first episodes. I'm interested to see whether things improve over the course of the first season.

As a start, I enjoyed this a damn sight more than Smallville or Arrow.
DukeTogo

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 30th, 2013 @ 7:23pm

DukeTogo wrote:I thought the show was decent, but not great. Whedon shows, and it remains to be seen whether this can actually be considered one, don't usually have great first episodes. I'm interested to see whether things improve over the course of the first season.

As a start, I enjoyed this a damn sight more than Smallville or Arrow.

Nowhere near as good as Arrow
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby meDotJS » Oct 1st, 2013 @ 9:03pm

That cameo at the end was something I wasn't expecting them to do in the second episode.
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 1st, 2013 @ 9:38pm

The second episode was WAY better than the first.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jw_6179 » Oct 1st, 2013 @ 11:11pm

Overall, waaaaay better. I liked this episode, it definitely didn't feel quite so "procedural"-y like the pilot, and just overall the characters, banter and acting felt better. Also, the cameo was great.

Spoiler: show
When I saw Jackson, I figured he wouldn't be able to curse, but he did get in an "ass" and "damn" which surprised me for prime time network TV on a show that ostensibly includes a younger demographic.
jw_6179

Postby dakazu » Oct 2nd, 2013 @ 10:25am

2nd episode had some cheesy moments but was otherwise good. Looks like all they needed to do was to dial back the 'Whedoness' to make things better.
dakazu

Next
Forum Statistics