Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Postby LiQuid » Oct 29th, 2014 @ 11:33pm

Ok, so we've established the kenzo is the only person here who has "picked a side" right? This whole argument is dumb. I think all comic book movies are bad with VERY few exceptions (Punisher War Zone does not deserve to be lumped in with the rest of this shit, for example). Batman's laughable attempt at gritty realism doesn't set it apart from the rest but as a way for nerds like kenzo and Higgins to jerk their dicks off at the thought of these movies being considered high art, which again is laughable.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Oct 30th, 2014 @ 12:25am

darfox8 wrote:If your a geek person the idea of a DCCU should be exciting or interesting in the same way a MCU is.
It's kind of hard to be excited when, one movie in, they've already ruined the character that serves as the cornerstone of the setting.

kenzo wrote:Why NOT talk about them? I don't understand why everything has to be connected all of a sudden. Or why if it's disconnected, all of a sudden it's not worthy of discussing or comparing.
For the same reason we're not including the 1989 Batman movie or the 1978 Superman. Because it's not relevant to the comparison being discussed here. Nolan's Batmans have equally no relevance on DC's current movie output.

kenzo wrote:People watch movies for more reasons than just to purely have fun, you know.
Sure. But if you're trying to have your Schindler's List experience at a goddamn superhero movie, you're fucking up.

kenzo wrote:We've never seen a superhero team up movie before! Oh it's so beautiful!" as if the previous decade wasn't full of X-Men films that had multiple super heroes teaming up together to fight whatever and junk with amazing special effects
It's not really a team-up movie when all the characters start out teamed up already.

kenzo wrote:I can't remember the last time I actually had 'fun' with a Marvel movie.
Because you're a hipster douche who pretends to hate anything people like.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Oct 30th, 2014 @ 1:49am

I feel like I should take the time to reiterate that my only stake in this conversation is that I think it's hilarious and fanboyish as fuck to think that Marvel's announcement of a Ms. Marvel movie is a a knee jerk copycat reaction to DC when literally everything DC is doing is chasing Marvel's money right now.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Nov 3rd, 2014 @ 7:57pm

Anyway, I'm going to be watching the shit out of Agents of SHIELD this season, because there's no doubt in my mind that a lot of the foundation laying for Age of Ultron is going to take place in it. And given it's release date, I wouldn't be surprised if the season finale ended up leading directly into the movie.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 11th, 2015 @ 1:17am

This interest anyone?
DarthEnder

Postby darfox8 » Feb 11th, 2015 @ 2:05pm

I love that headline: "Sony bring Marvel in..." that's really funny.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 12th, 2015 @ 12:39am

Yeah, that headline is pretty much exactly backwards. It's Spider-man that's being brought into the MCU.
DarthEnder

Postby kenzo » Feb 12th, 2015 @ 9:00am

Who cares? Isn't this film almost done being made? They might have Spiderman show up for 10 seconds in a post-credits scene. Whoop dee fucking doo.
kenzo

Postby GiantAsianMan » Feb 12th, 2015 @ 9:47am

kenzo wrote:Who cares? Isn't this film almost done being made? They might have Spiderman show up for 10 seconds in a post-credits scene. Whoop dee fucking doo.

They don't say he's going to appear in Age of Ultron; just that he'll appear in a MCU movie in the future (sometime between now and July 28, 2017). There are reports, apparently confirmed by the Wall Street Journal, that it'll happen in 2016's Captain America: Civil War, which would make the most narrative sense (as much as, you know, Marvel's really concerned about making narrative sense).
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 12th, 2015 @ 11:22pm

Yeah, the Spider-Man story isn't really related to Avengers. I just didn't feel like it needed it's own thread, and we don't have a generic MCU thread.
DarthEnder

Postby darfox8 » Mar 4th, 2015 @ 12:49pm

New trailer

Maybe it's the loop but this gif looks stupid as hell. People are posting this online like it's bad ass or something.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Mar 4th, 2015 @ 1:38pm

Can anybody with Marvel comics knowhow explain to me Ultron's character motivations? Because as far as I can tell, you've got a robot who is all like "I think, therefore, I must exterminate humanity."
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Mar 6th, 2015 @ 12:53pm

darfox8 wrote:Maybe it's the loop but this gif looks stupid as hell. People are posting this online like it's bad ass or something.

Probably because it's the most comicbookie image to ever appear in a live action movie.

kenzo wrote:Can anybody with Marvel comics knowhow explain to me Ultron's character motivations? Because as far as I can tell, you've got a robot who is all like "I think, therefore, I must exterminate humanity."

Seems to me like he was programmed to bring peace. Humans make peace impossible. Therefor humans must be killed to achieve peace.

Either that, or he's like every other evil AI in films. "I will become the new dominant species by destroying the old one. This is the natural order of things."

Oh wait, you mean in the comics. His motivation is "I'm a comic book villain from the 60s. I have no characterization beyond being evil."
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » May 4th, 2015 @ 8:56pm

Well? Have any of you nerds seen this yet? Nobody wants to talk about it?
DarthEnder

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 5th, 2015 @ 3:15am

I did. Thought it was okay to good, but I went in knowing little and expecting little. I liked James Spader as Ultron, but I do wonder if he can/will ever be back. The Hulk-Buster fight was really cool. I do not like the death flags that were obviously popping up for a character throughout the movie, and I hate Joss Whedon's need to kill someone in all his work. I believe that he thinks it would not have stakes unless someone bit the dust.
CrossXhunteR

Postby meDotJS » May 5th, 2015 @ 8:09am

Spoiler: show
It also might've been because he just didn't want to deal with having to manage an MCU version of Quicksilver when Fox is already doing their own with X-Men. It might be a little too much for an average movie fan to reconcile two ongoing canons for the same hero.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 5th, 2015 @ 8:18am

I feel like the idiocy attributed to the average movie fan would make any of these movies impossible to follow, multiple versions of a character or not.
CrossXhunteR

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » May 5th, 2015 @ 8:39am

Get to the real issue here guys. How offended were you by the movie?

http://i.imgur.com/qt5DFqK.gifv
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby DarthEnder » May 5th, 2015 @ 10:25am

I really enjoyed it.

A couple of characters are really different from their comic counterparts though. In Ultron's case, this was a plus, because he was a really likeable villain. In Hawkeye's case, I consider it a minus, because I just don't like has-his-shit-together family man Hawkeye as much as a like scruffy perennial loser Hawkguy from the comics.

meDotJS wrote:
It also might've been because he just didn't want to deal with having to manage an MCU version of Quicksilver when Fox is already doing their own with X-Men. It might be a little too much for an average movie fan to reconcile two ongoing canons for the same hero.
I was thinking the same thing.
Oh, Quicksilver is everyone's favorite part of Days of Future Past. Let's kill him off in our movie! Heh!
DarthEnder

Postby meDotJS » May 5th, 2015 @ 10:30am

CrossXhunteR wrote:
I feel like the idiocy attributed to the average movie fan would make any of these movies impossible to follow, multiple versions of a character or not.

I think the average movie goers are smarter than most people think they are, but having to follow two different versions of the same character in two different universes might be a bit much. Then again this is probably why Marvel are still kicking themselves over giving out the movie rights to their comics like free t-shirts at a college football game.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby DarthEnder » May 5th, 2015 @ 11:32am

I do agree that people don't give the average movie goer enough credit, but I do think that the average movie goer probably thinks that all of these movies with the giant MARVEL logo at the beginning are all in the same universe. Knowing that they aren't actually requires you to be familiar with industry information outside of the movies themselves.

BeowolfSchaefer wrote:Get to the real issue here guys. How offended were you by the movie?

I haven't been keeping up with this outrage. What's people's issue exactly?
Last edited by DarthEnder on May 5th, 2015 @ 11:44am, edited 1 time in total.
DarthEnder

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 5th, 2015 @ 11:35am

My brother, an arguably more in the know kind of guy than your average Joe, had asked me before why DC doesn't have something like the Avengers. I told him he just described the Justice League, and he said he meant something besides that.
CrossXhunteR

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » May 5th, 2015 @ 3:11pm

DarthEnder wrote:I haven't been keeping up with this outrage. What's people's issue exactly?

Seems to be mostly a misinterpretation of ScarJo's line about he being a monster in reference to her being sterile and then something about Stark's Prima Nocta Joke. It's all pretty ridiculous but apparently Whedon has now closed hit twitter account as a result.
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby Mr_eX » May 5th, 2015 @ 3:30pm

Movie was ok, not as good as the first Avengers or the Marvel movies from last year.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » May 5th, 2015 @ 10:52pm

Mr_eX wrote:Movie was ok, not as good as the first Avengers or the Marvel movies from last year.
Just got back from watching it. I dunno what you're smoking. It was literally the exact same movie as Avengers1. No better or worse. If you thought this one wasn't as good, it's because the sheen/novelty has finally worn off for you with these movies. And thank god we're finally getting to that point so we can have meaningful discussions about their merits/demerits.

Bender Rodriguez was a shitty villain, but like, most Marvel villians to date in these movies have been shit, so it's par for the course. Spader was awful casting, I don't know why they couldn't just get John DiMaggio back to reprise his role as Bender. It's not like he's doin' much. Was it copyrights or something? DiMaggio would have made this movie at least 50% better.

I can see why the internet was all upset at Woman Hero A being the team's gopher, but to be fair to Marvel, they don't really have a lot to work with, because Woman Hero A is a pretty shitty hero to begin with, so it's hard to find useful things for her to do. Marvel needs a Wonder Woman. I'm tellin' ya, gender bent Thor would be amazing... They even have the perfect excuse with the god damned god of tricks right there to flip his gender for us.

The best part of the movie is when Captain America throws his shield around and it bounces off like 10 villains like it's in a pinball machine. Cap is the best. Just like Avengers1, Cap had barely any screen time compared to other heroes. I guess that's what happens when you get your own movies. I dislike how he was the 'leader' but not really, because everyone basically did their own thing.

The worst part of the movie is when the Avengers are tasked with making an impossible decision - destroy the city and its inhabitants, or let it fall to the ground and kill even more people. I was like "what kind of deus ex machina device is going to keep these heroes from having to make hard decisions?" And then a literal giant deus ex machina device appeared out of nowhere to save all the civilians. :lol: Remind me again how this is good writing?

When not-Mutant Quicksilver died, and he was like "bet you didn't see that one coming" I laughed while the rest of the audience was appalled. The person sitting next to me, "oh no..." I was like "oh yiiiis!" Sorry not-Mutant, you're still a mutant, you don't belong in this world. I love how pointless his death was, and how the film barely lingered on it, and how Joss Whedon basically made fun of all his fans to their faces by giving him that final line. Fans be BTFO! But seriously, Joss Whedon is a hack, I'm glad some people are finally wising up to the truth.

I loved how Hulk and Woman Hero A inappropriately made out in the middle of an ensuing crisis. I loved it because I loved it when Supes and Lois Lane did the same thing. But their romantic attachments were horribly forced. Woman Hero A's reasons for liking the Hulk, "I'm surrounded by meat-heads, and you're the meatiest of meat-heads, but you don't want to be a meat-head, and I <3 that." What deep, affecting, relatable romance. I take it the Ang Lee film just doesn't exist anymore? And Betty Ross is just persona non grata?

I thought the action was pretty par-for-the-course. At this point, I'm pretty numb to the typical Marvel action scene. It looks cool, it's fun, but it's so hollow and barely registers any excitement whatsoever. I thought the action scenes in Furious 7 were more intense and blood-pumping because it looked a lot more real and used a lot more conventional/old-fashioned FX versus All-Computers Avengers. I did like all the slow-mo points in the fight, because it's nice to just like, breathe in a scene for once and be able to keep track of what's going on. But then all the parts where the camera is like 5 inches from the action and there's 12 cuts in 3 seconds, I found myself getting disinterested again.

On the whole, it was yet another cookie-cutter Marvel movie. Same plot, same plot beats, same villain, same bad writing, same awkward mix of irreverent and serious. Part of why I really liked Guardians of the Galaxy was because even though it was your typical retarded Marvel movie, it reveled in its retardation and threw away all pretext of being a serious movie. This one should have done the same because, like every other Marvel movie, the mix was bad.

I went to go see the movie with people who have seen more Marvel movies than I have. And they asked me at the end during the bonus credits scene "who is that guy?" They've asked me that same question half a dozen times now. This buildup to Thanos and the insistence on this being one big universe is pretty pointless if none of your casual viewers can follow this shit.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » May 5th, 2015 @ 11:03pm

Also, according to the credits, the robot from Laputa was in this movie? But I didn't see it.

Speaking of Laputa Robot - did you know Miyazaki ripped off Max Fleischer?
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » May 5th, 2015 @ 11:36pm

kenzo wrote:Bender Rodriguez was a shitty villain, but like, most Marvel villians to date in these movies have been shit, so it's par for the course. Spader was awful casting

Wrong. Ultron is like the best one after Loki. Sure as shit is way better than Ronin or Malekith were.

kenzo wrote:Marvel needs a Wonder Woman.

They do. She's called Captain Marvel and she's already getting her own movie.

kenzo wrote:I was like "what kind of deus ex machina device is going to keep these heroes from having to make hard decisions?" And then a literal giant deus ex machina device appeared out of nowhere to save all the civilians. :lol: Remind me again how this is good writing?

DEM implies that it comes out of nowhere with no foreshadowing or explanations.

Which is technically not the case because they've been talking about it for weeks now on Agents of SHIELD.

kenzo wrote:When not-Mutant Quicksilver died, and he was like "bet you didn't see that one coming" I laughed while the rest of the audience was appalled. The person sitting next to me, "oh no..." I was like "oh yiiiis!" Sorry not-Mutant, you're still a mutant, you don't belong in this world.

He's an Inhuman. I know Higgins thought they got their powers from Strucker and the scepter, but that's not the case. Again, Agents of SHIELD explains that they're Inhumans.

kenzo wrote:And Betty Ross is just persona non grata?

Well, yeah. I mean, have you seen Thunderbolt Ross lately either? No Hulk solo movies means no Hulk supporting characters.

kenzo wrote:I went to go see the movie with people who have seen more Marvel movies than I have. And they asked me at the end during the bonus credits scene "who is that guy?" They've asked me that same question half a dozen times now. This buildup to Thanos and the insistence on this being one big universe is pretty pointless if none of your casual viewers can follow this shit.

I could kinda see that if they'd somehow missed GotG(it's not like Avengers 1 explained who he was), but if you still don't know who Thanos is after seeing GotG then I don't know, you have brain damage or something.
DarthEnder

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 6th, 2015 @ 11:24am

Did anyone else have their theaters clap at the end of the movie. I feel like that happens a lot to me at superhero movies, and it is weird.
Also, what was the theater reaction to
Vision picking up the hammer? Mine went nuts.
CrossXhunteR

Postby DarthEnder » May 6th, 2015 @ 12:04pm

I just wanted one scene of Coulson talking to Fury or Hill and having to hide behind a curtain or something when Captain America walked by.

CrossXhunteR wrote:Did anyone else have their theaters clap at the end of the movie. I feel like that happens a lot to me at superhero movies, and it is weird.

That kinda thing generally only happens for me at Midnight showings. Which I did not go to for this.
DarthEnder

Postby kenzo » May 6th, 2015 @ 12:21pm

DarthEnder wrote:Wrong. Ultron is like the best one after Loki.
What you said and what I said wasn't necessarily mutually exclusive. And also, thanks for telling me my subjective opinion is wrong.

DarthEnder wrote:They do. She's called Captain Marvel and she's already getting her own movie.
We've been over this, nobody knows who that is. Also, more NOT-Mutants. :roll:

DarthEnder wrote:Which is technically not the case because they've been talking about it for weeks now on Agents of SHIELD.
:lol: I'm sorry, that doesn't fuckin' count. I shouldn't have to watch your garbage tie-in TV show for everything to make sense in your stand alone, flagship film.

DarthEnder wrote:He's an Inhuman.
No, he's the god damned son of Magneto. But Marvel needs to ruin more of their characters so they can get around their deal with FOX.

DarthEnder wrote:I could kinda see that if they'd somehow missed GotG(it's not like Avengers 1 explained who he was), but if you still don't know who Thanos is after seeing GotG then I don't know, you have brain damage or something.
Or, just maybe, the average, casual, theater-goer doesn't know the first thing about who Thanos is, and has a billion other things in their lives to keep track of instead of which generic baddie is which that keeps popping up in the background. If Thanos was a bad guy who had any ounce of originality or character to him, all this buildup could mean something. But as it is, most people don't know or care, and that insistence on continuity and 10-years-down-the-line planning is beginning to hamper these films.

Even though Thanos has shown up a half-dozen times, people still don't know who he is.

"Is that supposed to be a bad guy?"

"Who is that?"

"What's his name?"

"Is he important?"

"He looks like a prune..."

All things uttered by people sitting around me. This buildup should mean something to people, and it doesn't unless you're neck-deep in comic books. If this buildup was for a more iconic villain like Magneto, or The Joker, people would actually care and get excited. Instead, PRUNE-FACE just keeps grasping at potatoes.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics