Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Supergirl series going to CBS

Postby darfox8 » Mar 8th, 2015 @ 7:37pm

I didn't learn that in a wiki.

Whatever random Power Girl story you're reading is probably going to be irrelevant in comics in a few years(If it isn't already). Whatever cool characterization you're reading is surely going to be forgotten when the next writer makes her shit.

I don't pretend to know more about comics than you do but I always find it hilarious when you're like, "Hey Dar, you probably don't know this cause you don't read comics but Batman is after the Joker, Lex Luther is up to no good, And Brainiac is trying to destroy a city!" I'm like, "Huh, really."

So what if Dick Greyson is a secret agent now, Wonder Women was one too in the 70s(or some shit) and that's completely swept under the rug now.

I'm glad you're enjoying the tiny strand of comics you're reading in the huge tapestry of these character's history but please no comic-book-nerd-flexing. When it comes to this Supergirl tv show, the only relevant things are that she's a girl, she's related to the Superman brand, & one is iconic(power girl is not yet imo).
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Mar 8th, 2015 @ 7:57pm

You're welcome to be as reductionist and dismissive as you like. Doesn't really change anything I've said though or my opinions.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 8th, 2015 @ 8:27pm

Darfox is right but when did this guy get so indignant? :lol:
LiQuid

Postby meDotJS » Mar 8th, 2015 @ 9:27pm

LiQuid wrote:I don't really know jack nor shit about Supergirl other than what I learned in the first 2-3 issues of the nu52 book, which was that she was a more boring version of actual Superman. Still gonna watch this I guess.

All I know of her is from the Justice League Unlimited cartoon and I actually really liked her in that. Also there was an animated movie focused on her and that was good. Based on that I'm kinda hopeful. But that's my whole exposure to the character, I haven't read a single thing of her in the comics.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby darfox8 » Mar 8th, 2015 @ 11:34pm

I said this before, you guys are used to me just rolling over. Just because I know it's not worth arguing against stuff most of the time, I don't always enjoy endless recursive devil's advocate type conversations. Sometimes I do but not always.

But I said, "Eeehhhh, let me at least try and push back against what I really don't agree with." You guys think I'm on some shit when really I'm just responding like normal person.

This Supergirl show is going to be good or bad, but not because it doesn't star Powergirl. Plus I betcha that Powergirl becomes a recurring character. If not recurring then appearing at least once.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby meDotJS » Mar 8th, 2015 @ 11:44pm

darfox8 wrote:This Supergirl show is going to be good or bad, but not because it doesn't star Powergirl. Plus I betcha that Powergirl becomes a recurring character. If not recurring then appearing at least once.

I've had even less exposure to Powergirl than Supergirl, I really couldn't care less if she's in the show or not. I think the most I saw of her was a cameo in the aforementioned JLU show.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby darfox8 » Mar 8th, 2015 @ 11:50pm

meDotJS wrote:
darfox8 wrote:This Supergirl show is going to be good or bad, but not because it doesn't star Powergirl. Plus I betcha that Powergirl becomes a recurring character. If not recurring then appearing at least once.

I've had even less exposure to Powergirl than Supergirl, I really couldn't care less if she's in the show or not. I think the most I saw of her was a cameo in the aforementioned JLU show.

Yeah she had a very minor and weird take on JLU. Basically one dimensional evil clone.

But the way this production studio plays with the peripheral universe we're almost guaranteed a Power Girl appearance.
darfox8

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 13th, 2015 @ 8:29am

This is starting in November. Mondays at 8:00 P.M. right alongside Gotham on Fox

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/13/cb ... 6434beb96e

Also, they are doing a show based on Limitless, the movie with Bradley Cooper. Weird.
CrossXhunteR

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » May 13th, 2015 @ 9:21am

Jesus, that movie was terrible. WTF would they make a movie about it. All that happens is he's constantly running out of pills.
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby kevinep3 » May 13th, 2015 @ 9:43am

I enjoyed limitless, idk how you could make a show of that but I thought the movie was pretty good.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 13th, 2015 @ 11:30am

Different look at the costume.

Kara and Jimmy.
CrossXhunteR

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 13th, 2015 @ 3:00pm

Pretty long trailer. I assume it is like the Flash's first trailer and all pulled from the pilot.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » May 13th, 2015 @ 3:22pm

I'm kind of having a hard time even believing it, but every actor involved in this show is sub-CW bad. The lead, the hunky boyfriend, "James" Olsen, and espeeeecially the boss. Holy shit, are they all awful. There was a lot of other awful stuff too. The cheap "You're a lesbian!" mix-up, the authoritative male putting a woman in her place, the inspirational pop music heroism montage. The boss might be the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. Why can't they have a woman in a position of power without making her a stuck up, Devil Wears Prada bitch on wheels?
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 13th, 2015 @ 3:35pm

This Cat Grant seems really grating.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » May 13th, 2015 @ 3:47pm

People are pointing out how much that trailer looks like the SNL Black Widow spoof.

LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 13th, 2015 @ 4:10pm

It's... sure is a show. I don't really care about a lot of the girly crap or being cheezy as hell. But I'm pretty annoyed that Jimmy Olsen is playing telephone with Superman so that we don't have to actually put a Superman on the show.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 13th, 2015 @ 7:02pm

But he's Superman's pal...
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » May 13th, 2015 @ 8:54pm

I'm pretty sure that is just a really poorly edited trailer and the people comparing this to that SNL skit are just dumb. This is tonally exactly the same as The Flash but with a female lead character.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » May 13th, 2015 @ 9:21pm

LiQuid wrote:But he's Superman's pal...
Yeah, pal, not errand-boy. It's just crazy. You've got a guy like Superman who can fly around the world in the blink of an eye, but he can't be bothered to go check in on the only living family he has and sends regular human Jimmy Olsen to check in on his fam. It's crazy!
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 13th, 2015 @ 9:32pm

Mr_eX wrote:I'm pretty sure that is just a really poorly edited trailer and the people comparing this to that SNL skit are just dumb. This is tonally exactly the same as The Flash but with a female lead character.

I mean, it actually starts out identically.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » May 14th, 2015 @ 6:53am

LiQuid wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:I'm pretty sure that is just a really poorly edited trailer and the people comparing this to that SNL skit are just dumb. This is tonally exactly the same as The Flash but with a female lead character.

I mean, it actually starts out identically.

Yeah, but the joke the SNL skit is making is that marvel would make a Black Widow movie a rom-com focusing on her love life and not super hero stuff. That's not what I saw in this trailer. People are just complaining because she's acting girly and isn't a Ripley/Sarah Conor badass
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » May 14th, 2015 @ 7:42am

Watched the trailer last night and I wasn't particularly impressed. I mean it looks fine but also super generic. Oh she's a young professional and she's totally dorky so she can't dress herself for a date because she's so socially awkward even though she's obviously a beautiful girl who could not have lived this long without learning these things just by watching TV. Never seen that before.
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby kenzo » May 14th, 2015 @ 7:47am

Ex, I get what you're getting at, but even if the show ends up different, this is how they're trying to sell it, and what we've been shown so far, it does look pretty generic and corny
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 14th, 2015 @ 9:11am

It actually looks a lot like the shitcanned Wonder Woman pilot from NBC a couple years ago. It was the same premise of juggling a regular-ass business life with being a superhero. Diana in that show seemed kind of tortured and lonely tho where this one is more upbeat and giddy. I like that these shows are starting to just be all like fuck it and foregoing the secret identity thing, at least without the immediate support network.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » May 14th, 2015 @ 10:19am

Looks fantastic, obv.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 14th, 2015 @ 10:25am

There was a second trailer that I can't link here since it has no youtube mirror yet. A lot of reused stuff, but even more things were shown.
CrossXhunteR

Postby jw_6179 » May 15th, 2015 @ 1:49pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:Image
Kara and Jimmy.

OK serious question: Is DC just making every red-headed male in to a black guy? I started saying it as a joke a while ago, but it's not funny anymore.
jw_6179

Postby LiQuid » May 15th, 2015 @ 1:57pm

As long as it's a tertiary character that nobody gives a shit about. Can't black up our leads... Unless it's Johnny Storm, for some fucking reason.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 15th, 2015 @ 2:04pm

Seriously, why didn't they just make fucking Reed black? I guess they're taking the adoptive sibling route with Sue and Jonny? That's fine I guess, but it's so half assed. They overwrote what was already a firmly in place familial relationship with their affirmative action shit when they could have gone all out and made the black guy the SUPER brainy super scientist motherfucker AND give him a pretty young white girl to hook up with. Let the boycott begin on this shit as far as I'm concerned.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 15th, 2015 @ 3:12pm

jw_6179 wrote:OK serious question: Is DC just making every red-headed male in to a black guy? I started saying it as a joke a while ago, but it's not funny anymore.
I feel for your oppression, gingerbro
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics