Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Postby meDotJS » Oct 20th, 2015 @ 8:11am

Because, as you know, I'm always right.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 21st, 2015 @ 11:09pm

LiQuid wrote:I can't wait til December 18th when we can finally listen to the Geekbox episode with the reactions to this trailer.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Nov 6th, 2015 @ 9:35am

Int'l trailer

DONT WATCH IT HIGGINS!
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 6th, 2015 @ 8:43pm

It looks great.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 12:10am

:lol: I might have to go see this movie ASAP now that they revealed that the new Star Trek trailer is going to be playing in front of it.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Dec 8th, 2015 @ 7:19am

kenzo wrote::lol: I might have to go see this movie ASAP now that they revealed that the new Star Trek trailer is going to be playing in front of it.

This one could be the best Star Trek movie ever too. It's directed by Justin Lin(the director of Fast and Furious 3 - 6) and written by Simon Pegg.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Dec 16th, 2015 @ 6:17am

Reviews are pretty good.

Spoiler, I guess.

LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 16th, 2015 @ 6:28am

Nobody is even going to open this thread again until December 19th. I could post pics of the Pope fucking a donkey, delete it tomorrow and nobody would ever see it.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 17th, 2015 @ 4:45pm

#spoilerculture

LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 1:06pm

So am I going to be the first to post actual reaction to the movie? Okay then.

Spoiler: show
-Glad they didn't drag out the "who is Kylo Ren?" question all the way to the end. In fact, given how Abrams handled/mishandled Khan in Into Darkness, I got a kick out of how they just casually dropped that Kylo is Han and Leia's son, almost like it was a throwaway line. And since they decided to go with this angle, I was happy they didn't do the "oh my god I thought our son was dead but really he turned into the bad guy" reveal. They knew he had turned, they knew how, and they knew why. No surprise or shock, just dealing with it.

-Once they did reveal that Kylo Ren was Ben Solo, it became abundantly obvious that he would at some point kill Han Solo. And yet people in the theatre were still shocked when it happened. Really, folks? Han and Kylo were talking on a long, narrow walkway with no side guardrails that was spanning a massive abyss- only one person's walking away from that encounter; the other one's falling over the side into the nothing-ness. That's how these things work, especially in Star Wars.

-Thought John Boyega was fantastic, even if the Finn character was a little thin. And I really hope they don't make Finn the son of someone important/noteworthy in the Star Wars universe. Just keep him some random dude that was taken by the First Order as a baby and trained as a Stormtropper.

-Same goes for Daisy Ridley and Rey. But given that Rey is a)haunted by a need to reunite with a family she doesn't really know because she was abandoned on Jekku as a small child and b)shown to be super strong with the Force even with any training, it's a near impossibility that here lineage won't be important.

-The Super Death Poke Ball Star was kinda dumb, and it's weapon made no sense. Like, it's an actually planet, with atmosphere and climate and stuff, but with a giant space death ray in the middle that's charged by pulling power from the sun, which is like what, because where's the sun in this equation? It's stupid. But it got blown up, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Yeah. Think that's it for now. Probably have more thoughts later.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Jenn04 » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 1:37pm

Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was incredible - but I love Star Wars and most all of JJ's work so uh.. yep. Definitely seeing it a few more times.
Jenn04

Postby CrossXhunteR » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 1:57pm

I liked it. Don't know when I will watch it again.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Mr_eX » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 2:28pm

Its great. Every character was great. Every actor was great. Will watch again.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 3:44pm

All I wanna know is whether or not anybody cried (lookin at you Rodney). You can admit it, no one will judge you.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 3:49pm

LOL Can't speak for Rodney but

I got tears as soon as the theme started and the scroll began; also during a few other other scenes.
Jenn04

Postby GiantAsianMan » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 4:59pm

Guess I never stated whether or not I liked it- I did. I liked it a lot. I thought the movie was a lot of fun and had the right feel to it. I really enjoyed all of the new characters and thought (for the most part) the new actors were fantastic. I do have some more spoiler-y thoughts, though:

-Captain Phasma was cool, but totally wasted. I guess they're saying she'll have a larger role down the line in the next movies, which is fine and all, but do something cool with her now, in this movie. Didn't happne.

-Loved the scene where Kylo Ren gets news that BB-8, Finn, and Rey have escaped and takes out his anger on the control console. Vader would've Force-choked the messenger. Kylo lightsabers hardware.

-Are we supposed to know who Poe was meeting with on Jakku at the beginning of the movie? The guy who gives Poe the partial piece of the map?

-What exactly was R2 doing/waiting for? Was he searching the deep recesses of his own memory banks, thus the low-power mode?

-How did the Skywalker legacy lightsaber end up where it ended up? I'm guessing someone scaled down to the bottom of Cloud City and retrieved it? Was Luke's right hand still attached to it? And why would someone Rebellion/Resistance-adjacent be in possession of it and not give it to Leia? Or Han? Though I guess this could be a plot point for Episode VIII, given that the movie ends with Rey holding the lightsaber out to Luke.

I'll definitely be seeing it again sometime next week.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby kenzo » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 7:30pm

The contrarian hipster in me finds the entire discussion and hype and marketing campaign surrounding this film to be disgusting, and it's really turned me off from having any hype for the movie.

I'm still gonna go see it and probably enjoy it too.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 7:32pm

kenzo wrote:The contrarian hipster in me finds the entire discussion and hype and marketing campaign surrounding this film to be disgusting, and it's really turned me off from having any hype for the movie.

YOU DONT SAY

Last edited by LiQuid on Dec 19th, 2015 @ 12:52am, edited 1 time in total.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 10:10pm

kenzo wrote:The contrarian hipster in me finds the entire discussion and hype and marketing campaign surrounding this film to be disgusting, and it's really turned me off from having any hype for the movie.

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Dec 19th, 2015 @ 12:52am

Fixed the thread page. Wouldn't want kenzos inability to experience fun to crap up an otherwise engaging discourse.
LiQuid

Postby meDotJS » Dec 19th, 2015 @ 8:39am

Decided to wait until the morning after to say this in case I wasn't thinking clearly last night, but I still feel this morning that Episode VII was awesome.

In a bit of irony my biggest complaint was the movie doing the almost exact opposite of what I was worried it would do, which was hang around on the "big" moments like characters from the original trilogy showing up or big moments in the film as if to say "look at this, isn't it amazing?" The movie actually did exactly the opposite and except for a few cases gave us almost no time to process. On one hand I can understand why they did that, and I'm glad they didn't make a big deal out of every little thing, but I felt like it took the wind out of some things.

Minor complaint of an otherwise amazing movie though.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby dakazu » Dec 19th, 2015 @ 5:27pm

Episode IV redux :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As darfox said to me they are playing it WAAAAAAAAAAAY safe. Too safe IMO.
dakazu

Postby Mr_eX » Dec 19th, 2015 @ 5:50pm

It's like episode 4 but better in almost every way.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby dakazu » Dec 19th, 2015 @ 5:57pm

Mr_eX wrote:It is episode 4 but better in almost every way.

FIXED

Yeah I thought it was good. Just wished they put in some more original ideas plot wise. Was considering seeing it again in 3D but darfox didn't seem to be enthusiastic about what he saw.
dakazu

Postby Mr_eX » Dec 19th, 2015 @ 6:01pm

I want to see it in IMAX
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kevinep3 » Dec 19th, 2015 @ 8:27pm

Saw it at this place http://www.jordans.com/imax
Will be seeing this a few more times. Fucking great.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby jw_6179 » Dec 21st, 2015 @ 12:35am

Pretty good movie if you can ignore the Mary Sue!

I feel bad, I keep seeing these movies with female action star protagonists, and every time I walk away, I go "Wow, what a Mary Sue." I guess I am just being biased, but ugh. Finn was cool, he was heroic but also a goof. Could you see Pip-Pip Proper Tea Time Accent telling the robot to be cool and sharing a fuckin' awesome little thumbs up? Could you see her drag her ass to town and drink from the horse trough? Nah, she'd MacGuyver a dowsing rod and make a rudimentary well and pump using a rotten pancake and a toe nail clipper.

Really, I liked Finn a lot. Just some random Stormtrooper, a regular Joe who had the courage to stand up against what was wrong, with no damned special God-powers.
jw_6179

Postby Mr_eX » Dec 21st, 2015 @ 7:28am

jw_6179 wrote:Pretty good movie if you can ignore the Mary Sue!

I feel bad, I keep seeing these movies with female action star protagonists, and every time I walk away, I go "Wow, what a Mary Sue." I guess I am just being biased, but ugh. Finn was cool, he was heroic but also a goof. Could you see Pip-Pip Proper Tea Time Accent telling the robot to be cool and sharing a fuckin' awesome little thumbs up? Could you see her drag her ass to town and drink from the horse trough? Nah, she'd MacGuyver a dowsing rod and make a rudimentary well and pump using a rotten pancake and a toe nail clipper.

Really, I liked Finn a lot. Just some random Stormtrooper, a regular Joe who had the courage to stand up against what was wrong, with no damned special God-powers.

Rey was great...
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Dec 21st, 2015 @ 7:49am

jw_6179 wrote:Pretty good movie if you can ignore the Mary Sue!

That's ridiculous. You're being ridiculous.

1) Do you complain about Luke Skywalker being a Gary Stu? Because if you never thought that, you're holding a double standard.

2) She's patently not an actual Mary Sue, given the fact she's not actually flawless with a bunch of personal hangups she has to get over during the film, and undoubtedly even more hangups to come during her Jedi training and management of her increasing levels of anger as the film progresses and she has to deal with dark side/First Order nonsense.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Dec 21st, 2015 @ 8:06am

CrossXhunteR

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics