Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Big Bang Theory

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 10th, 2009 @ 12:30am

I got onto Big Bang Theory through the Gamespy Podcast last year, anyone else watch this? It's partially made for geeks, from a guy that uses Iron Man's ass to hide his pocket money to the awkward dude who can't speak to girls. Most of the story revolves around an experimental physicist and his room mate who is a theoretical physicist who live across the hallway from a hot waitress who; naturally is a tad on the dense side, and hence the hilarity of the geek and babe thing. Anyone else watch it?
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Re: Big Bang Theory

Postby czartim » Mar 10th, 2009 @ 12:41am

Isn't it three camera format? I hate laugh tracks and LCD humor.
Thy Czar hath spoken. May his words inspire and thoughts provoke.
czartim

Postby Pazy » Mar 10th, 2009 @ 10:15am

I love this show! I need more lol though there are other shows which base there humour on geeky things that do it better but BBT do it pretty well :)
Pazy

Postby flatrabbit » Mar 10th, 2009 @ 1:00pm

As far as sitcoms go this show is on the high end of the scale, I really enjoy it.

The differing personalities of each of the characters is hilarious to watch sometimes.
flatrabbit
--"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
‡ [ home | twitter | mixtapes ] ‡
flatrabbit

Postby Lopsidedown » Mar 10th, 2009 @ 1:25pm

It was definitely tough to get into. The first couple episodes that I saw were grating and I kept thinking "Ok, I get it. They're nerds."
Good thing Sheldon is as funny as he is. Because of him, this is easily one of my favorite current sitcoms (followed closely by Two & A Half Men, and How I Met Your Mother).
Lopsidedown

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 10th, 2009 @ 1:59pm

Yeah, this show is great. Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper is one of the best reasons to watch.

Ever since "Pushing Daisies" went off the air, this is my new favorite show.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 10th, 2009 @ 2:26pm

I'm not much into the behind the scenes of tv shows, like who exactly creates it but I remember that this show, and Two and a Half Men, have writers from Roseanne... which at the turn of the 80s to the 90s, was my favourite show alongside Married with Children, I think that's another reason I enjoy this show so much, the style of comedy, the delivery, is similar to that of Roseanne.
KindGalaxy

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 2:16am

MitchyD wrote:I watched one episode of this. It made me want to vomit on multiple levels.

haha, sorry imagined you typing IDCLIP to skip the walls and find the exit switch.
KindGalaxy

Postby Sokkratez » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 2:02pm

I loved it at first but it eventually became hard to watch. If it didn't have a laugh track it would be the best comedy ever on television.
Sokkratez

Postby harrisbradley » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 9:42pm

Yeah, my latest favorite sitcom. The episode where Penny game Sheldon Leonard Nemoy's signature is about the funniest thing I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K02O02NqndE
harrisbradley

Postby GiantAsianMan » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 9:58pm

harrisbradley wrote:Yeah, my latest favorite sitcom. The episode where Penny game Sheldon Leonard Nemoy's signature is about the funniest thing I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K02O02NqndE

That is a great scene. And Leonard Nimoy actually signed the napkin. Well, okay, he didn't sign the one they filmed the scene with, but they did send him a napkin to sign later (two, in fact, in case he messed up), which he did (without messing up), and it was sold at auction for charity.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Nimoy-Big-Bang-1002064.aspx
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Mechar » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 6:18pm

I actually stumbled upon this just this week, and I instantly fell in love with it. The fact that I actually do know about the games, comics and jokes that are presented in the show really added it up to the experience. Hopefully I can find the first season somewhere for purchase.
What a horrible night to have a curse.
Mechar

Postby RandomlyRossy » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 10:32am

RE: a few of the comments in the thread. I've never gotten peoples problems with laughter tracks, most of the time when people mention that they don't like a show because it has one I reply 'It has a laughter track?' I rarely notice them personally and if the show is funny I don't see why it's a problem.

Anyway, a friend turned me onto this shortly after it started and I've been hooked ever since, along with How I met your mother it's my weekly dose of sitcomy goodness.

Sheldon has been pretty amazing this season, they've really made him the focus alot more which I think has made the show consistently funnier.
RandomlyRossy

Postby Sokkratez » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 10:47pm

RandomlyRossy wrote:RE: a few of the comments in the thread. I've never gotten peoples problems with laughter tracks, most of the time when people mention that they don't like a show because it has one I reply 'It has a laughter track?' I rarely notice them personally and if the show is funny I don't see why it's a problem.

Well, the purpose of them is so that people know when to laugh, or so that they feel comfortable laughing. "Yes! That was meant to be humorous!". They're insulting. I can see why one may be necessary on this show, but they make it unbearable.
Sokkratez

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » Mar 17th, 2009 @ 2:20pm

I dont get people who rag on the "3 camera set up with canned laughter".

Many shows have tried to invent something new and only a few suceed "The Office" (UK version OBVIOUSLY) is a prime example but how many other comedy shows are this good.

The dialogue isnt afraid to leave you scrambling for wiki as you try to understand some law of psychics but at the same time its not "A Brief History of Time".

I like how previous events are referenced, even off the cuff to give a real sense of time which is lacking in most shows and I feel that they arent afraid to never let Leonard never get near Pennys panties to give the show a happy ending.

This is very under rated in the UK but I really do think this is superb representation of geeks, their daily turmoils and watching them enjoy the simple things in life (Wii bowling anyone? ;) )
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Duke_Of_Havoc

Postby dusterduder » Mar 18th, 2009 @ 9:46pm

This last episode was one of the best. I especially like Sheldon's quote too Penny about how he is a Physicist and that encompasses everything in the Universe. Great show especially if you are a Geek and get all the inside jokes.
dusterduder

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » Mar 19th, 2009 @ 6:04am

Gotta love Sheldons smug charm.

Wouldnt you consider Radiohead a geek band thou? Much more likely that Sheldon and Leonard would know/like them than Pop Princess Penny (mmmmm Penny in her PJs...)
Duke_Of_Havoc

Postby troubledwine » Apr 4th, 2009 @ 10:25pm

I have to say this might be the best show on Television right for number of LOL's it gets out of me.

I look forward to every episode.
troubledwine

Postby occamsindecision » Apr 8th, 2009 @ 1:14am

I too have been loving this show since I downloaded the pilot, not knowing what it was. This, 30 Rock and The Office get the most laughter out of me lately.
occamsindecision

Postby TheDonutKing » May 4th, 2009 @ 5:27pm

Just started following this show this year as well. The friends that got me into and myself were lucky enough to go to a taping of the show. Sheldon's improvtu lines are hysterical!

I wonder why the podcast hasn't talked about this show yet?? Seems to be a perfect fit!
TheDonutKing

Postby ZombieArmy » May 4th, 2009 @ 7:13pm

If this show wasn't on before HIMYM, I wouldn't watch it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a terrible show, but it's just not my bag. Maybe if I understood the characters more, I'd like it, but I don't see myself ever really getting into it. The nerd jokes are cool and everything, but it's just a bit much for me sometimes.
ZombieArmy

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » May 5th, 2009 @ 2:24pm

TheDonutKing wrote:Just started following this show this year as well. The friends that got me into and myself were lucky enough to go to a taping of the show. Sheldon's improvtu lines are hysterical!

I wonder why the podcast hasn't talked about this show yet?? Seems to be a perfect fit!

Will probably be slated. Geeks are a VERY hard group to please. Personally I love it. The references are superb and quite up to date like last episodes argument about who should take Bats cowl n cape.

I expect Ryan to rag on this show...Just because well, he doesnt really like alot apart from Street Fighter (sigh), Lost, Burn Notice and a couple of other things..
Duke_Of_Havoc

Postby Info » May 5th, 2009 @ 3:40pm

During yesterday's episode I kept looking in the background at the comic store and thinking "Damn, I wish my local comic store was that well stocked in Hellboy..."
Info

Postby KindGalaxy » May 6th, 2009 @ 4:22am

I think because it's a sitcom is the reason why Ryan Scott, Karen Chu, Ryan Higgins, Greg Ford, Andrew Fitch, or their Cameos such as Jade Kraus, Mike Cruz, don't talk about it. They feel intimidated by a mainstream television viewing that makes the geek community appear as normal, and not the freak within, and so they are too immature to discuss a show of the caliber of Big Bang Theory. (My insults damn well better ensure a discussion OF BBT in the next podcast!!!)
KindGalaxy

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » May 6th, 2009 @ 7:53am

Info wrote:During yesterday's episode I kept looking in the background at the comic store and thinking "Damn, I wish my local comic store was that well stocked in Hellboy..."

Yeah it was very heavy on all things BRP and also ALOT of Supes stuff about.

Also noticed too cardboard cutouts for City of Heroes/Villians :)

Rorschach and Comedian busts

Actually from memory it seemed more towards DC stuff (as do all the comic book references), cant remember seeing much Marvel...wonder if thats a licensing issue. I will have to go back and have a look.

Its normally Superman, Bats, Green Latern and Flash who get mentioned.

Spiderman and his NUMEROUS titles did get mentioned the other week thou :mrgreen:
Duke_Of_Havoc

Postby Skrattybones » May 11th, 2009 @ 11:07pm

KindGalaxy wrote:from a guy that uses Iron Man's ass to hide his pocket money

There's a couple of $50s in Green Lantern's ass. Close, though. ;)

I absolutely love this show. I caught the Battlebot episode on television and promptly sat down and watched every episode online in a solo-marathon. Probably a bad call as now I'm stuck waiting for the new episodes to come out every week.
Skrattybones

Postby kiwi » May 14th, 2009 @ 10:49am

MitchyD wrote:I watched one episode of this. It made me want to vomit on multiple levels.

this is 100% the most logical reaction. I saw one episode as well and questioned humanity's existence for months after.
kiwi

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » May 14th, 2009 @ 4:23pm

kiwi wrote:

this is 100% the most logical reaction. I saw one episode as well and questioned humanity's existence for months after.

Care to elaborate? What exactly didnt you like about this show?
Duke_Of_Havoc

Postby kiwi » May 14th, 2009 @ 5:31pm

the jokes fell completely flat, especially any time one of the guy characters said what i'm going to call a 'nerd joke.' The pitch for the show had to have been "what if two nerds had a hot female friend?" I saw it about a year ago so I don't remember the specifics of the episode, but I was wholly turned off by it. I think there was a scene where one of the characters was going through his closet to find something to wear to receive an award? It all just seemed completely cliche and uninspired.
kiwi

Postby Mechar » Sep 24th, 2009 @ 12:19am

So, what did people reckon about the first episode of season 3? I never thought that things would go down that fast between Lenard and Penny, but it made me somehow happy for both of them. Despite that, the episode was descent for being an opening episode; with some descent writing and dialogue.
What a horrible night to have a curse.
Mechar

Next
Forum Statistics