Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Big Bang Theory

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 1st, 2011 @ 10:25am

Amy Farrah Fowler is the best thing to happen to this show. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 14th, 2011 @ 10:03am

Brent Spiner making his debut on this week's episode was kind of a throwaway. He only showed up for the last scene.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby ribkicker4 » Oct 14th, 2011 @ 10:10am

My friend turned this on at work while we were cleaning up. I didn't really understand what has happening, having never seen it before, but what I do understand is that this is probably one of the worst shows on television. On the level of Two and a Half Men bad.

Shame on you all.

EDIT: I did see one of the actors on Conan last night and he was actually pretty funny there.
ribkicker4

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 14th, 2011 @ 10:13am

jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Oct 14th, 2011 @ 12:10pm

I discovered my problem with this show. It's that the fact that they are talking about nerdy shit is supposed to be regarded as its actual humor, so it doesn't have to actually be funny. Like just the sheer act of someone talking about comic book characters or video games, unironically on primetime television is supposed to be funny and the laugh track acts accordingly. It doesn't matter if the "joke" itself is funny (it's not, 100% of the time), as long as it has overly stereotypical nerds talking about nerdy shit, mindless masses find it funny and the easily amused nerds in the audience are just excited that someone on on TV is in Flash cosplay or talking about the Nintendo 64.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 14th, 2011 @ 12:38pm

Obviously, you're missing the humor in this show. It's not in the nerd jokes, it's the cast, especially Jim Parson and Mayim Bialik, who have excellent comedic timing.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Fade2Black » Oct 14th, 2011 @ 6:58pm

BBT is alright.
Most of the episodes are fairly formulaic, but occasionally it provides some genuinely funny laughs.

My favorite episode to date has to be The Justice League Recombination (viewable here).
Sheldon exhibiting Flash's super-speed at the end = classic.
Fade2Black

Postby flufflogic » Oct 16th, 2011 @ 8:49am

Fade2Black wrote:BBT is alright.
Most of the episodes are fairly formulaic, but occasionally it provides some genuinely funny laughs.

My favorite episode to date has to be The Justice League Recombination (viewable here).

Moment of the new series so far - Amy's fingerstache...
flufflogic

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 16th, 2011 @ 4:52pm

flufflogic wrote:
Fade2Black wrote:BBT is alright.

Moment of the new series so far - Amy's fingerstache...

That was pretty great. Raj romancing a deaf chick was pretty humerous too. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Royce » Oct 17th, 2011 @ 5:50pm

Does it strike anyone else that they are basically living in the same across-the-hall apartments as the group from Friends did? That staircase going right up to the front of both apartments looks exactly like the one from Friends to me.
Royce

Postby LiQuid » Oct 17th, 2011 @ 5:59pm

Welcome to Generic Multi-Camera Sitcom 101, your professor this semester will be Chuck Lorre and you get an A+ just for perfect attendance.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 18th, 2011 @ 8:33am

Royce wrote:Does it strike anyone else that they are basically living in the same across-the-hall apartments as the group from Friends did? That staircase going right up to the front of both apartments looks exactly like the one from Friends to me.

They look nothing alike. There's a huge hallway in between the BBT apartment to accomadate the broken elevator, and the Friends hallway was a walk-up.
LiQuid wrote:Welcome to Generic Multi-Camera Sitcom 101, your professor this semester will be Chuck Lorre and you get an A+ just for perfect attendance.

Still more entertaining than a lot of the schlock on TV nowadays. There's a reason why he's one of the richest men in Hollywood.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Oct 18th, 2011 @ 12:54pm

jinpei05 wrote:There's a reason why he's one of the richest men in Hollywood.

Has nothing to do with pandering to the lowest common denominator. He's the Michael Bay of primetime television.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 18th, 2011 @ 1:20pm

LiQuid wrote:

Has nothing to do with pandering to the lowest common denominator. He's the Michael Bay of primetime television.

Whatever, dood. :roll:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Lord_Xv » Oct 20th, 2011 @ 9:46am

when watching bbt, you have to remember that it's a show about nerds that can't be too nerdy because it's a sitcom presented to normal people about nerds and it's also funny to nerds.
would zombies attack Frankenstein's monster?
Lord_Xv

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 23rd, 2011 @ 1:55pm

Wow, really good episode this week. Laurie Metcalf as Sheldon's mom stole the show!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 30th, 2011 @ 12:25pm

Man, Priya's a horrible girlfriend.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby SerpentineZERO » Oct 31st, 2011 @ 4:26pm

Actually saw the most recent episode, and it was pretty good.
SerpentineZERO

Postby LiQuid » Oct 31st, 2011 @ 5:44pm

Since they play this on TBS 24 hours a day now I've gone out of my way to watch about a half dozen episodes or so and this show sickens me. Like it actually repulses me while I'm watching it.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 1st, 2011 @ 7:40am

LiQuid wrote:Since they play this on TBS 24 hours a day now I've gone out of my way to watch about a half dozen episodes or so and this show sickens me. Like it actually repulses me while I'm watching it.

Keep sucking those dicks, LiQuid. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Nov 1st, 2011 @ 10:06am

I would be less repulsed by every member of the cast and crew of this show having their dick in some hole in my person all at once than by watching another episode. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby manta173 » Nov 1st, 2011 @ 10:46am

LiQuid wrote:I would be less repulsed by every member of the cast and crew of this show having their dick in some hole in my person all at once than by watching another episode. :lol:

because that's a rational response to one of the best comedies on television.....

Seriously. This is a great show, and it hits way to close to home to those of us with advanced degrees in useful things like engineering, chemistry and physics. Its just funny. Now I will say that later seasons don't always live up to the earlier ones, but it is more consistant than most and the characters are very well written. The actors also do a great job considering only one of them actually knows anything about what they say.
manta173

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 1st, 2011 @ 11:05am

LiQuid wrote:I would be less repulsed by every member of the cast and crew of this show having their dick in some hole in my person all at once than by watching another episode. :lol:

Of course you would. What's really amusing is how you choose to watch a show you claim to hate only to bitch about it, much how a supposedly straight man continues to suck dicks that he allegedly hates. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Nov 1st, 2011 @ 12:08pm

Hey man, you can't fault me for wanting to give it a shot. The show is clearly divisive. Some nerds swear by it and others think it's an affront to their senses. There are very few middle of the road stances on it. Instead of just having just 3 or 4 episodes in my Utility Belt of Shit Talk I've got closer to a dozen now. So next time someone tries to tell me this show is hilarious, I can say which part, the part where Sheldon was making Cylon toast ( :lol: ), or the part where he accidentally touched the blond girl's boob ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) ?
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 5th, 2011 @ 9:57am

Amy Farrah Fowler playing "Everybody Hurts" on her harp + trying to get Sheldon to comfort her and find second base = comedy gold.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby DerBonk » Nov 7th, 2011 @ 4:08pm

I've only watched the first two seasons because they come out really slow over here, just to be clear.

I'm really torn about this show. On the one hand I think it's funny and I laugh frequently. Then again it repulses me for a lot of the same reasons LiQuid keeps bringing up. It really seems like nerd "black-face." What I find especially unpleasant are all my IRL friends who look down on anything nerdy but now think they know everything about geeky stuff because they watch BBT. "HAHAHA BAZINGA! HAHAH I'M SUCH A NERD!" On top of that, all of the characters I have encountered so far, especially the nerds, were total dicks more often then not. Plus, all of them are actually pretty good looking, "cool" people (Sheldon being the exception on the latter, but he could still work as "that wacky roommate". Moss from IT Crowd, now that is a nerd, if you ask me. I do love Evil Wil Wheaton though.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby LiQuid » Nov 7th, 2011 @ 4:21pm

DerBonk wrote:nerd "black-face."

Succinct!
LiQuid

Postby DerBonk » Nov 7th, 2011 @ 4:26pm

jinpei05 wrote:
LiQuid wrote:

Whatever, dood. :roll:

On a slight tangent. For a funny, extremely cringe inducing take on that question (lowest common denominator comedy vs. unique, timeless comedy): Extras by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. Brilliant and very fitting. Especially the second series.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 8th, 2011 @ 8:34am

LiQuid wrote:
DerBonk wrote:nerd "black-face."

Succinct!

Short-sighted!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 12th, 2011 @ 12:56pm

Sheldon definitely steals the show this episode.

"I'm going to be a mother!" :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics