Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: True Blood

Postby kenzo » Sep 4th, 2010 @ 2:05am

I used to be terrified by vampires when I was a little kid, but when you honestly think about it, they're not scary at all. I mean, there are just so many fucking ways to kill one, it's kind of ridiculous that they're even taken seriously at all. I mean, garlic/silver/holy water/crucifixes? Really? And I think that Jason Stackhouse and his wooden bullets have kind of proven that in this day in age, vampires would get their asses handed to them by organized resistance. I think the fact that they're so easy to fight is part of why a lot of these shows are hard to take seriously.

And if something has a version of vampires that are actually badass and have few to no weaknesses like the vampires in Twilight, everything gets ruined with sparkling and Lady GaGa Bad Romance anyhow.
kenzo

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 4th, 2010 @ 2:13am

I think Interview with a Vampire perfectly portrays the fear of Vampires perfectly. But bring it into the modern day, and yes; they are not scary at all. But if you portray vampires as an antagonist from the 1400s, 1700s, even the early 1900s they will become a terrifying thing.
Buffy, Angel, True Blood, Underworld do not portray the fear of the Vampire, merely the horror of the Vampire.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby kenzo » Sep 6th, 2010 @ 11:53pm

sabrasmith11 wrote:True blood in one of the best show & true blood is the better show.For me season 2 is the best season. This show must continue.
I was going to say that this is the most hilarious sentence ever. Except then I did a little digging:

sabrasmith11's website is "http ://www.iwatchtruebloodonline. com/" (inserting spaces so it doesn't automatically turn into a link) and their PSN id is "sabrasmith11@gma". Clearly, this is a bot.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Sep 6th, 2010 @ 11:57pm

You don't say?
LiQuid

Postby Raine » Sep 7th, 2010 @ 10:21am

KindGalaxy wrote:Wait wait; this is a show you LAUGH at, and then someone says they want something Good with Vampires and you say fucking Buffy and Angel? If ANY vampire shit was created that was designed to laugh it... it was this;

I will never understand geekdoms love for Whedon's vampire crap. The best I can say about those shows is that it's better than Charmed.

kenzo wrote:I used to be terrified by vampires when I was a little kid, but when you honestly think about it, they're not scary at all. I mean, there are just so many fucking ways to kill one, it's kind of ridiculous that they're even taken seriously at all. I mean, garlic/silver/holy water/crucifixes? Really? And I think that Jason Stackhouse and his wooden bullets have kind of proven that in this day in age, vampires would get their asses handed to them by organized resistance. I think the fact that they're so easy to fight is part of why a lot of these shows are hard to take seriously.

Who here hasn't just sat and thought about interesting ways to kill Vampires, or any kind of monster with a glaring weakness? I hope upcoming seasons of True Blood feature some sort of vampire hunter that just violently mows down vamps with crazy creative weapons.
Raine

Postby James-Kond » Sep 7th, 2010 @ 11:40am

KindGalaxy wrote:Wait wait; this is a show you LAUGH at, and then someone says they want something Good with Vampires and you say fucking Buffy and Angel? If ANY vampire shit was created that was designed to laugh it... it was this;

Werepanthers?
Last edited by James-Kond on Sep 7th, 2010 @ 4:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby Raine » Sep 7th, 2010 @ 12:16pm

James-Kond wrote:
Raine wrote:Wait wait; this is a show you LAUGH at, and then someone says they want something Good with Vampires and you say fucking Buffy and Angel? If ANY vampire shit was created that was designed to laugh it... it was this;

Werepanthers?

I didn't say that, Kindgalaxy did. I was just agreeing with him. Anyways, yeah, werepanthers are stupid. I think the point was that Whedon's crap is just as stupid, if not worse in some spots.
Raine

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 7th, 2010 @ 5:35pm

The only part about a Were-Panther that is silly is that Panthers don't actually exist. They are melanin-dominant variants of other big cats so technically she'd be a Were-Jaguar since the show takes place in America, the dominant myth Were-creature in the Americas in the Pre-Columbian time was the Were-cat/Were-Jaguar. Most likely they used Panther because most people still associate it as its own animal instead of a variant on existing animals. There are plenty of cases of other myths on other man-animal creatures; centaurs, basically the entire Egyptian Pantheon, as well as the Aztecs and Mayans Pantheons.

If Werewolves did not send alarm bells of silliness, or Shapeshifters such as Merlotte then its hard to really stop the line at a Were-something-else and call it silly.
KindGalaxy

Postby kenzo » Sep 7th, 2010 @ 5:54pm

To be fair though, Panthers evoke a kind of primal fear that stalks out of the dark heart of the jungle that Jaguars or Panthers could never achieve in popular/modern culture.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 7th, 2010 @ 8:50pm

Raine wrote:

I will never understand geekdoms love for Whedon's vampire crap. The best I can say about those shows is that it's better than Charmed.

You're suppose to laugh at Buffy because at times it's a comedy and you're suppose to laugh at True Blood because its TERRIBLE. Everyone that likes good TV shows likes Buffy and saying you don't like it is admitting to having bad taste because in reality what you're saying is you don't like good characters, writing, stories, storytelling and you have no sense of humor to speak of.

Also
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/117637-when-tv-became-art-what-we-owe-to-buffy/
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 7th, 2010 @ 8:53pm

Mr_eX wrote:
Raine wrote:

Everyone that likes good TV shows likes Buffy and saying you don't like it is admitting to having bad taste because in reality what you're saying is you don't like good characters, writing, stories, storytelling and you have no sense of humor to speak of.

Also
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/117637-when-tv-became-art-what-we-owe-to-buffy/

Show me where I said I didn't like it. I just called it silly as shit. I endured the college years and under-campus army story thread as anyone else who watched Buffy did. And the 'hey you have a sister' twist.
KindGalaxy

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 7th, 2010 @ 8:55pm

KindGalaxy wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:
Raine wrote:

Everyone that likes good TV shows likes Buffy and saying you don't like it is admitting to having bad taste because in reality what you're saying is you don't like good characters, writing, stories, storytelling and you have no sense of humor to speak of.

Also

Show me where I said I didn't like it. I just called it silly as shit. I endured the college years and under-campus army story thread as anyone else who watched Buffy did. And the 'hey you have a sister' twist.

Show me where I said you didn't like it.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Sep 7th, 2010 @ 9:01pm

Mr_eX wrote:
KindGalaxy wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:
Raine wrote:

Also

Show me where I said you didn't like it.

Show me some BACON!!!!
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 7th, 2010 @ 9:06pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Raine » Sep 8th, 2010 @ 4:47am

I am willing to come straight and say that I don't like Buffy or Angel. Now, I haven't sat down and watched a full episode, but why would I? Everything I've seen is low budget, poorly acted, and fucking silly. You think it's a good show? Explain to me why it is. I've made the case in other threads (and I'm seemingly the only one that thinks this) that despite it's inherent silliness and over the top nature True Blood is actually a quality show. Can you make a case for Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I'm willing to listen.
Raine

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 8th, 2010 @ 10:58am

How is it possible to dislike a TV show you've never seen?

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby James-Kond » Sep 8th, 2010 @ 11:56am

Raine wrote:I am willing to come straight and say that I don't like Buffy or Angel. Now, I haven't sat down and watched a full episode, but why would I? Everything I've seen is low budget, poorly acted, and fucking silly. You think it's a good show? Explain to me why it is. I've made the case in other threads (and I'm seemingly the only one that thinks this) that despite it's inherent silliness and over the top nature True Blood is actually a quality show. Can you make a case for Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I'm willing to listen.

I recently saw all seasons of Buffy, I liked it for these reasons: It had good concepts, good combat scenes (first season is mostly creature of the week) and it examined some interesting theories about life. Mostly how to life your life as a teenager. Also great characters really.
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby LiQuid » Sep 8th, 2010 @ 12:16pm

For all the shit I talk about Buffy it seemed like it could have gone places had I given it more of a chance instead of giving up after the first season. It was fucking ridiculous and stupid, but those are traits I love in a TV show. I watch Beverly Hills 90210 and I love shitty vamp fiction, so there's no reason why the two of those things combined shouldn't thrill me.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 8th, 2010 @ 12:21pm

I can understand why you'd quit after the first season, it started out so bad.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 2:28am

Season finale just happened, and I was actually kind of disappointed. The whole season so far had been nonstop bat-shit insane, and this last episode was a little on the tame side. There were still some great moments though, particularly
Spoiler: show
when Bill and the Queen of Louisiana both began to levitate at the same time in order to fight. That shit was gloriously cheesy/stupid.

I already can't wait until next season.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 11:42am

kenzo wrote:Season finale just happened, and I was actually kind of disappointed. The whole season so far had been nonstop bat-shit insane, and this last episode was a little on the tame side. There were still some great moments though, particularly
when Bill and the Queen of Louisiana both began to levitate at the same time in order to fight. That shit was gloriously cheesy/stupid.

I started laughing at that scene.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 12:10pm

Mr_eX wrote:I started laughing at that scene.
I'm pretty sure I woke my roommate up, I couldn't stop laughing so hard.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 12:23pm

The stuff they're doing with Sam seems like it's out of nowhere. They should have been building up to this but it's like they flipped a switch and now he's a completly different character.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Raine » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 1:12pm

I'm an argent defender of True Blood being in on the joke, but that scene that Kenzo is talking about is just terrible. Russell talking shit while burning, on the other hand, was fucking gold.
Raine

Postby LiQuid » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 11:23pm

kenzo wrote:Season finale just happened, and I was actually kind of disappointed. The whole season so far had been nonstop bat-shit insane, and this last episode was a little on the tame side. There were still some great moments though, particularly

I'm pretty sure we watched different episodes. That might have been the best episode of the show. Betrayalaton left and right. Boom headshots all over the place. I don't even know where to begin. I could die happy right now.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 11:29pm

Oh man, you made me remember the scene where Sookie uses the sink garbage disposal. That shit was pretty fuckin' great.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 11:37pm

With the exception of like 3 scenes, that episode was amazement from start to finish. I want to watch it again.

DUDE FUCKING GODRIC SHOWED UP!!! VAMPIRE JESUS! ALSO THERE WAS A VAMPIRE INTERVENTION! AN INTERVAMPTION! YOU'VE GOT ME TYPING IN CAPS NOW!!! I have to say though, I applaud you for getting my expectations nice and lowered!
LiQuid

Postby Creep » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 10:11pm

The finale felt like the episode before the finale. Nothing was really answered.
Creep

Postby LiQuid » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 5:52am

Creep wrote:The finale felt like the episode before the finale. Nothing was really answered.

Apparently you didn't see Vampire Jesus, cause he answered every question I had, such as "Is Godric the most amazing Vampire Jesus ever?"

the answer is yes
LiQuid

Postby bayfield » Sep 23rd, 2010 @ 9:57am

all hail vampire jesus!
"It's a rockstar vatican assassin torpedo of truth sent by a warlock" - KindGalaxy
bayfield

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics