Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Monk and Psych

Postby kevinep3 » Aug 10th, 2009 @ 6:14pm

for those of you who watch then what did you think of the new seasons first episodes, monk i think stayed very true to the series but psych didnt have as many laughs as other episodes. overall they were both great and i am very sad that this will be the final season of monk.
now what was your guys opinions on it
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Re: Monk and Psych

Postby racingfreak92 » Aug 10th, 2009 @ 7:42pm

Psych was definitely not as funny as usual (though the mentalist joke as great). It seems they are going more serious with the show now but i think that works against the comedy and mood of the show.
LiQuid wrote:I would never go on a cruise because I think whales are scary. Major Nelson went on a cruise last week and he posted a bunch of pictures and I was looking at the pictures of all the whales and even that was scary. Also large ships are scary.
racingfreak92

Postby kenzo » Aug 10th, 2009 @ 7:56pm

I kind of stopped watching Monk when he got a new sidekick. The first few seasons of Monk were amazing, and it felt like Adrian was actually making real progress with his disability. But in the 4th season, and more particularly, after the new pushover help came, it became clear to me that Monk had jumped the shark and would never evolve his character for the sake of extending the show into infinity.
kenzo

Postby dabeast0976 » Aug 11th, 2009 @ 9:55am

I thought the season premiere of Psych was pretty good. It wasn't as funny as past episodes but i still think it was pretty solid. I like that they are still continuing with Sean having a girlfriend instead of the usual "It's a new season and they broke up when the show was on hiatus" crap a lot of shows pull. That and the fact they got Cary Elwes to do a one off appearance is pretty cool.

BTW, never watched The Mentalist and never will.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby LZduck » Aug 11th, 2009 @ 11:22am

I just caught the premier of Psych last weekend and it was my very first introduction to the show. I think my brother had the channel on USA and the show just came on and I ended up catching most of it. But what I saw I liked.

I heard about the show but I assumed it was about a psychic able to use his abilities to help solve crimes ala ghost whisperer. So I thought the premise was too ridiculous to watch. But when i actually caught the show it was like funny and clever. And then I find out the guy isn't even a psychic he's just pretending to be one. Too cool.

I ended up watching previous seasons to catch up and the show has quickly grown into one of my faves maybe even surpassing burn notice for me. It reminds me of dexter except in a more positive light as the dad is shown in flashbacks tries to teach spencer (the main character) how to be more observant and keen, which he wanted him to use to be a cop.

I mean whats not to like its a funny show that solves crime. With two best buds solving crime yet they still act like Adult kids. Filled with a bunch of 80's references. If any of you have seen the show one best example is when they flashback to a scheme they had as kids to ride a dolphin but the dad ends up spoiling their attempt. Then in the present they had a case that dealt with an aquarium and an adult Spencer see's this as a perfect opportunity to bust out his swim trunks to fulfill his dream to ride a dolphin. Haha, too funny.
LZduck

Postby kenzo » Aug 11th, 2009 @ 12:10pm

Psych is like Scrubs, except about detectives, not as funny, and the black guy is clearly relegated to being a sidekick. Not a huge fan.
kenzo

Postby dabeast0976 » Aug 11th, 2009 @ 12:33pm

kenzo wrote:Psych is like Scrubs, except about detectives, not as funny, and the black guy is clearly relegated to being a sidekick. Not a huge fan.

Scrubs stopped being funny during it's final season. Psych is still funny. Gus is supposed to be the sidekick, he' the straight man to Sean's con man. If he wasn't the serious sidekick half the jokes wouldn't work.
dabeast0976

Postby GiantAsianMan » Aug 11th, 2009 @ 1:36pm

kenzo wrote:Psych is like Scrubs, except about detectives, not as funny, and the black guy is clearly relegated to being a sidekick. Not a huge fan.

That's a terrible comparison; what did you base it on, the fact that there's a white guy and a black guy in the cast and they're friends? Could you also compare Psych to Miami Vice? There's a white dude and black dude in that show, too. Have you seen Psych (I'm guessing "no")? Its nothing like Scrubs. The tone, the style, the humor, all completely different from what you see (er, saw) on Scrubs.

dabeast0976 wrote:Gus is supposed to be the sidekick, he' the straight man to Sean's con man. If he wasn't the serious sidekick half the jokes wouldn't work.

Agreed, although I don't think "sidekick" and "straight man" are necessarily the same thing. If you watch the show, its fairly obvious that Gus is more than just a sidekick.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby kenzo » Aug 11th, 2009 @ 4:58pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:What did you base it on, the fact that there's a white guy and a black guy in the cast and they're friends?

They're similar in that there are these two juvenile, man-children buddies that solve mysteries, be they criminal or medical. In Miami Vice or a lot of shows for that matter, they're partners - particularly in these two shows, a far more apt description would be, "BFF."

The black guy in Scrubs is an equal partner in crime, and in a lot of ways, in charge and calling the shots far more often. When Turk has reservations about one of JD's mischievous plots, he puts down his foot, and JD complies. When Shawn feels like bending the rules, Gus complains but eventually tags along and is complicit to make sure Shawn stays out of trouble. When JD and Turk are explaining some kind of crazy idea, they're finishing each other's words and are equal partners in what went down. When Shawn is describing how a crime went down, he's in the spotlight and Gus is just kind of chillin' in the background and throws in a few remarks for support. I wouldn't call Gus the straight man, cause usually the straight man calls the shots and is foiled by his bumbling sidekick. Gus & Shawn's relationship is much more of a Yogi/Boo Boo kind of thing.

I'm not tryin' to slander the show, that's just my feelings on it. It was amusing watching a few times, but I couldn't get into it, mostly cause I'm on detective-show-overload.
kenzo

Postby dabeast0976 » Aug 11th, 2009 @ 8:22pm

kenzo wrote:They're similar in that there are these two juvenile, man-children buddies that solve mysteries, be they criminal or medical. In Miami Vice or a lot of shows for that matter, they're partners - particularly in these two shows, a far more apt description would be, "BFF."

And that's where the similarity ends. The character of JD has gotten what i describe as "The Homer Simpson Treatment". His character has gotten dumber and dumber since the debut of the show. I mean seriously, his character became so stalkerish to Dr. Cox in the last season on NBC that i stopped watching even the reruns. It has ruined the show that much for me.

kenzo wrote:I wouldn't call Gus the straight man, cause usually the straight man calls the shots and is foiled by his bumbling sidekick. Gus & Shawn's relationship is much more of a Yogi/Boo Boo kind of thing.

A straight man doesn't have to be the one calling the shots. In the Marx Bros movies (yeah i went back that far) the straight man was Zeppo, while Groucho called the shots. And technically, Boo Boo was the straight man in that friendship.

kenzo wrote:I'm not tryin' to slander the show, that's just my feelings on it. It was amusing watching a few times, but I couldn't get into it, mostly cause I'm on detective-show-overload.

Ahhhhh, the Kenzo twist is finally revealed.
Last edited by dabeast0976 on Aug 11th, 2009 @ 8:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
dabeast0976

Postby dabeast0976 » Aug 11th, 2009 @ 8:27pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:Agreed, although I don't think "sidekick" and "straight man" are necessarily the same thing. If you watch the show, its fairly obvious that Gus is more than just a sidekick.

Well, Gus could be considered a second banana or Sean's comedic foil, but, to quote Bruce Campbell in Sky High, "SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDEKICK!"
dabeast0976

Postby kenzo » Aug 11th, 2009 @ 8:48pm

dabeast0976 wrote:*Careful dissection*

I concede defeat (and I'm not being sarcastic).
kenzo

Postby racingfreak92 » Aug 19th, 2009 @ 9:34am

Psych makes a lot of references to The Mentalist (the crappy rip off), does anyone know if The Mentalist has every referenced Psych?

and i liked the cactus cooler mention in last weeks episode
LiQuid wrote:I would never go on a cruise because I think whales are scary. Major Nelson went on a cruise last week and he posted a bunch of pictures and I was looking at the pictures of all the whales and even that was scary. Also large ships are scary.
racingfreak92

Postby Klendathu » Aug 19th, 2009 @ 10:48am

I believe Psych still to be as funny as before, it's just the 80ies references have become more obscure, so there is less chance to get them. It's great how they poke fun at the Mentalist for ripping them off ever since the first episode of the Mentalist aired.

Monk is sort of sad, this being the final season. But Sherona is coming back for one episode, so that is a total win.
Klendathu

Postby dabeast0976 » Aug 19th, 2009 @ 1:24pm

racingfreak92 wrote:Psych makes a lot of references to The Mentalist (the crappy rip off), does anyone know if The Mentalist has every referenced Psych?

and i liked the cactus cooler mention in last weeks episode

Don't know. I refuse to watch The Mentalist.

Caught the Cactus Cooler mention too. First thing that popped into my head was Ryan probably thinking, "Mini fridge full of CC? HELL YEAH!"
dabeast0976

Postby kevinep3 » Aug 23rd, 2009 @ 5:25pm

Klendathu wrote:
Monk is sort of sad, this being the final season. But Sherona is coming back for one episode, so that is a total win.

oh yeah i forgot about that yeah, ive been waiting for her to come back. she should bring her son all grown up and show that monks had like a deep impact on their lives, now that would be a good episode
kevinep3

Postby kenzo » Aug 30th, 2009 @ 11:09pm

kevinep3 wrote:
Klendathu wrote:

oh yeah i forgot about that yeah, ive been waiting for her to come back. she should bring her son all grown up and show that monks had like a deep impact on their lives, now that would be a good episode

I haven't been a real fan of Monk since they kicked Sharona off the show. Her character was way better than what's her face from Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place. I'll watch the finale and stuff, but I won't like it. They didn't even give Sharona a good send-off on the show, it just sounds like she abandoned Monk; very uncharacteristic. I saw a commercial hamming up and dramatizing the fact that Monk might finally solve Trudy's death. Ergggg....
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 14th, 2010 @ 8:21pm

Monk finale came and went. Ending was predicable in that Monk finally solved his wife's murder. However, it was unpredictable in that he had the evidence all along. I was super pissed off when they revealed that (especially since, to my knowledge, we've never seen this gift-wrapped present before). But the more I think about it, it's kind of appropriate for the character. On the whole, I'll miss the show.

As for Psych, I know I've ragged on the show in the past, but I've been watching a lot of it lately and it's starting to grow on me.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 14th, 2010 @ 8:24pm

I can only watch one USA network show because they're all the same.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Creep » Aug 17th, 2010 @ 2:59pm

Psych is hilarious. Dumb fun for sure.
Creep

Postby kevinep3 » Nov 10th, 2010 @ 7:55pm

New episodes are on tonight, i dont understand why people dont watch this show, consitent funny writing and acting whats not to like
kevinep3

Postby kenzo » Nov 10th, 2010 @ 8:01pm

kevinep3 wrote:New episodes are on tonight, i dont understand why people dont watch this show, consitent funny writing and acting whats not to like
There's a new episode of Monk....? :shock:
kenzo

Postby kevinep3 » Nov 10th, 2010 @ 8:19pm

haha no psych, but i would be pumped for some new monk episodes
kevinep3

Postby Master Higgins » Nov 10th, 2010 @ 8:35pm

Can't wait for Psych.

And woot, news of the Twin Peaks episode!

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/tv-ne ... CST_tvnews
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby IRL_Troll » Nov 10th, 2010 @ 9:40pm

Carye Elwes is still a sexy beast.
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby kenzo » Nov 10th, 2010 @ 11:12pm

IRL_Troll wrote:Carye Elwes is still a sexy beast.

kenzo

Postby MrBiggs » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 7:29am

I'm actually in the middle of watching the first season of Psych (which I missed) right now. But hooray for new episodes too!
MrBiggs

Postby kevinep3 » Nov 17th, 2010 @ 10:18pm

in 2 weeks theyre gonna have the cast of twin peaks on the new episode, thats badass
kevinep3

Postby dabeast0976 » Nov 18th, 2010 @ 2:35pm

Still haven't seen last night's episode.

But damn Carey Elwes was the man last week.
dabeast0976

Postby kiwi » Sep 15th, 2011 @ 8:42pm

Just finished watching the first four seasons of Psych on Netflix Instant. Obviously I enjoyed it, or else I wouldn't have watched so much. It's not winning any awards, but it's really fun and the characters are enjoyable. I like the recurring villain for the last two finales (and the 5th season finale, which I have not seen but have read the title for). All the recurring gags are great, too. Pineapples, "I've heard it both ways," etc.
kiwi

Next
Forum Statistics