Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Flash Forward

Postby Klendathu » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 1:55am

"Nice book, we'll rape it!"

Look at the bright sight, if you love Lost, chances are you can't hate this one no matter how hard you try. I am still on the fence though. That seems to be the natural thing after a weak pilot.

Naysayer reasons:
* a 45 minute pilot is never a good sign. Sure, there are exceptions, but on average....
* cutting the 21 years into the future thing from the book down to 6 months is not ABC's vote of confidence for a long story arc.
* who wants to see scientists in Science Fiction? Who are we SyFy? and out go all the original characters.
* the book has no open ending, meaning in 6 months the storyline will be resolved.

Yay
* yes the book does have an ending. I dare you to read the book and spoil it.
* if they stick to the main plot of the book, all will be well for the SciFi community.
* the book is a very very very very very close relative of Lost. Technically, Lost is the ripoff.
* after all, the series is not the book, so it might be worthwhile as "different angle" version. Same plot, different crew.
* The author of the book has so far not shaken his angry fist at the creators of the series and that means a lot since he is one of the best.
Klendathu

Re: Flash Forward

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 2:30am

I think 6 months is fine.
Lost is going to be compared to many times with this show, and in 4 seasons Lost has gone in the story itself On The Island only 101 days, for the first 4 Seasons and then it diverged into multiple timelines there after; my point is, 4 Seasons is a long time for a series usually (Deadwood, Battlestar Galactica, The Wire etc. are only a handful of Seasons), and if Lost can make 4 seasons portray 101 days (3 months basically, not 6 months like Flash Forward) then it is entirely reasonable for it to have a long arc, and shorter focused feel in each episode.
I'm watching the premiere in a few minutes, so yeah no judgments yet, beyond my desire to see if its good or not; I have an empty time to fill since I no longer watch Heroes, maybe Flash Forward can fill that.

True Blood on HBO is another book-to-tv show thing, and they take many liberties in regards to story, purely because it is on TV. Battlestar Galactica made Starbuck into a girl, creative license and putting your own fingerprint on the direction is not a bad thing.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 2:32am

FUCK hang on, this is based on the Robert J Sawyer book? Oh My God. My favourite author, I did not know this... shit... I so want them to make an Illegal Alien movie based on his novel fuck... oh god... okay... I've now turned from a casual watcher to a 'THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME' cos... god... I didn't even know they based it on a book until you said so and now its based on one of Sawyer's books?! Awesome!
KindGalaxy

Postby Atomsmasher » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 3:02am

I enjoyed it, except every time Joseph Fiennes was on screen I saw the resemblance between him and his brother and wished it was Ralph in the show instead.. :lol:
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 3:04am

I also wanted to add; short run series shows can be great. I watch alot of Hong Kong TV and more often than not they are single season stories, often times the writers/directors/actors will make a new series after, and despite seeing the same actors all the time, they are singular, contained stories and it can be awesome. To say a TV Series is based on '6 months' and to imply it as a bad thing is nonsense. I wish we had more short run TV Series.
KindGalaxy

Postby GiantAsianMan » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 9:25am

Klendathu wrote:* The author of the book has so far not shaken his angry fist at the creators of the series and that means a lot since he is one of the best.

I've also read that Robert J. Sawyer will be writing an episode sometime this season, so he's clearly on board.

I enjoyed the pilot (and I've read the book). I think the shift to a 6-month time jump makes sense for the adaptation (a 21-year jump wouldn't have worked at all on television), but it does raise the question of what happens when they reach that date. There's no way that this show is only planned for one season; American TV just doesn't work that way, even when its most obviously applicable (hello, Prison Break!). In the short term, I think there are enough directions the show can go in to keep it interesting. But the question is what they do in the long term. Hopefully they'll be addressing that during the season.

Two more quick things- did anyone catch the Oceanic Airlines reference? I didn't, but I've read that there was a sign or something for it, presumably shown while the main character was roaming downtown. And did anyone else find the cameo by Seth MacFarlane as an FBI agent jarring? That just seemed to come out of left field.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 10:05am

I had no idea it was based on a book. That's ok, thought, cause I don't read books. :lol: I loved the first episode. Comparisons to Lost are fine...if you're going to rip something off, might as well rip off the best.

GiantAsianMan wrote:Two more quick things- did anyone catch the Oceanic Airlines reference? I didn't, but I've read that there was a sign or something for it, presumably shown while the main character was roaming downtown. And did anyone else find the cameo by Seth MacFarlane as an FBI agent jarring? That just seemed to come out of left field.

I don't know how you missed it. It was dead-center on the tv for about 2 minutes as the characters talked. It's in the first 10 min of the show. That sold me on the entire series.

And yeah, I actually didn't even realize that was MacFarlane until my gf pointed it out. I don't know that I knew what he looked like.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Klendathu » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 10:38am

GiantAsianMan wrote: (a 21-year jump wouldn't have worked at all on television), but it does raise the question of what happens when they reach that date. There's no way that this show is only planned for one season;

After thinking about it, I suppose there is room for more than one event in the plot. If the first season only covers the six month period, then they can pretty much end it where they started it and provide a killer cliffhanger by showing the next Flash Forward as the final scene.

Master Higgins wrote:Comparisons to Lost are fine...if you're going to rip something off, might as well rip off the best.

It's the other way around. But then again, Flash Forward did not invent the wheel either. It just made a very round wheel.
Klendathu

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 11:06am

It was pretty good not sure how it can go past one season but when Lost first started would you have thought there would be much to it after they got off the island
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby bayfield » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 12:18pm

i've not read the book, and probably won't till after this series is over, since it's more likely i'll watch this regularly and i don't want to spoil the experience.

some 1st episode discussion, might be spoliers

the one thing that the characters debate is if now that they know their futures if it is actually going to happen or if it can be changed. this being something very similar to the pre-cog concept used in minority report, however in that case the visions were of someone elses future. since anderton (in minority report) knew his own future he could essentially make decisions to change that future.. how does this idea apply in flashforward?

i'll argue that the future they saw has to be inclusive of them seeing the future, otherwise that future would be incorrect for them the moment they saw it. thus the future they have seen includes the vision, includes their reactions to live the same or differently to move towards or away from that future, etc. an idea that support this is benford builds his lead board from his vision which includes things like the friendship bracelet (which would appear to have no relevance to the actual investigation, rather just something he recalled seeing.) along with the simple fact that everything written on the board was in noh's writing.. and the only reason they are the point team on this is due to benford's vision.

:ugeek:
"It's a rockstar vatican assassin torpedo of truth sent by a warlock" - KindGalaxy
bayfield

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 6:15pm

Mr_eX wrote:It was pretty good not sure how it can go past one season but when Lost first started would you have thought there would be much to it after they got off the island

My GF at the time was like 'you mean they're NOT leaving the island in this story?'. (that was the first season) Since then I broke up with her, got a new gf, got engaged, broke up, got another gf, got engaged, married... so yeah.

Loved the first episode of Flash Forward, It has all the qualities of a show that will last at least one season, if Heroes can then surely this can. The big thing I really hope is they make it a slower paced story, 1 episode = 1 day kind of thing. Also, since it is clearly a supernatural/supposed supernatural thing (like Lost, with time travel, polar bears, etc.) they need to go balls out and make it as fucked up as possible. "You lost 2 minutes, you now know what is going to happen in 6 months, on this specific date; your wife is with another dude, ur an alcoholic again, dudes are coming in with laser-sighted guns in masks, some guy didn't see his future" and just go balls deep in that, make aliens come, make some future dude who invented time travel to warn everybody of some horrific deadline apocalypse scenario and THEN, once that is resolved... make everyone collapse for 3 minutes or something, and show them 12 months into the future, cos that time travel dude was actually bad, and this good one will help fixing the first one's fuck ups and save humanity. I dunno, I just want them to go right into that fucked up world of 'anything can happen' like Lost has.
KindGalaxy

Postby Klendathu » Sep 26th, 2009 @ 12:05am

This is plain SciFi. No hidden world beneath our own with magical powers, no space aliens send by god gangraping 100 monkeys in the past to create human kind. This is the good stuff. Expect BS science, but not as far out as Fringe.

The source material is also never on the fence about destiny vs free choice. Free choice takes the cake right from the start. Different characters think differently about it though, which is not always for the best of them, but the 'rules' of the book make free choice the ruler. Even though they changed the characters, expect people killing themselves in the first few episodes because they saw something worse than death in their future. Usually that does not impact the rest of the story though, since the author compensates as narrator.

That is where Lost and Fast Forward are closest to each other. In Lost the authors implemented this "self-correcting" universe as a piece of lore, it's not just a writer's trick. People have to go at extreme lengths to find loopholes and really change stuff on the island. In Fast-Froward, the universe is in far more flux, but that also means it escalates far more quickly.
Klendathu

Postby Atomsmasher » Sep 26th, 2009 @ 11:11am

So the question, read the book asap and spoil everything or watch the whole first season then read?
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher

Postby GiantAsianMan » Sep 26th, 2009 @ 12:33pm

Atomsmasher wrote:So the question, read the book asap and spoil everything or watch the whole first season then read?

The book's not going to spoil anything; the show's already radically different.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby bayfield » Sep 28th, 2009 @ 1:57pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:The book's not going to spoil anything; the show's already radically different.

that's very good to hear.
"It's a rockstar vatican assassin torpedo of truth sent by a warlock" - KindGalaxy
bayfield

Postby Klendathu » Sep 29th, 2009 @ 12:14am

They changed the cast. But judging from what episode 1 showed, the plot is still on. Same stuff, different faces. The whole background lore, the explanation for the flash forward, the "conspiracy", I suppose it will all still be the same mostly. Although the conspiracy might get an upgrade (Sinister +3) in the TV version.
Klendathu

Postby Klendathu » Oct 2nd, 2009 @ 3:05am

Second episode came around and the series still gets thumbs up.

Nay:
(*) The sidestory of the young police officer dying after not having a vision. Typical trying too hard plotline. I suppose her father in-law will rethink signing that probable cause form.
(*) Loyd, the schmuck with the ruined marriage, dead wife, too late for amends, autistic child, bedside drama. One headshot please.

Yay:
(*) How Dimitri first coped with the bad news of the dead cop rather good and then got the call
(*) D.Gibbons is a bad man. Although his traps are cheesy, this aspect of the plot is coming along nicely.

Next to Lost and Fringe, we might have a third good Mystery SciFi series. With Lost soon starting its final season and Fox canceling everything on a whim, Flash Forward might be the one which is here to stay.
Klendathu

Postby Skrattybones » Oct 2nd, 2009 @ 12:47pm

I'm glad there's finally a show like this on the air I actually enjoy. After the first two episodes it's got me hooked, as opposed to be Lost and Fringe where it felt like I was just watching because everybody else said so.

Also, expect more appearances from Seth MacFarlane.
Skrattybones

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 2nd, 2009 @ 6:18pm

Fringe lost me real fast, but I've heard it got a lot better. FlashForward has really had me from minute one. Loved the second ep, even if I saw things like the cop getting killed from a mile away. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite shows right now.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby James-Kond » Oct 3rd, 2009 @ 6:53am

The D.Gibbons traps reminded me a lot of the Jigsaw traps he made for his bases ^^
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby Atomsmasher » Oct 3rd, 2009 @ 3:49pm

Master Higgins wrote:Fringe lost me real fast, but I've heard it got a lot better.

Do yourself a favor and give it another shot. The first handful of episodes were okay, but were very formulaic and most people gave up, assuming it was gonna be like that the whole season. About episode 8 is when you start to see a shift in quality and then from episode 10 on it becomes awesome.
Atomsmasher

Postby Skrattybones » Oct 7th, 2009 @ 8:16am

Calling it right now. Pointing to left field at a dying boy in the crowd. Lloyd Simpco (Simco?) is Suspect Zero.
Skrattybones

Postby GiantAsianMan » Oct 7th, 2009 @ 10:40am

Skrattybones wrote:Calling it right now. Pointing to left field at a dying boy in the crowd. Lloyd Simpco (Simco?) is Suspect Zero.

I think Simcoe's involved with what happened, but I don't think he's Suspect Zero. I think that's going to be Dominic Monaghan's character Simon.
GiantAsianMan

Postby Skrattybones » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 11:08pm

What'd you do, IMDB everybody who's gonna be in the show? Sorta sucks the fun out of it, eh.
Skrattybones

Postby GiantAsianMan » Oct 9th, 2009 @ 5:28am

Skrattybones wrote:What'd you do, IMDB everybody who's gonna be in the show? Sorta sucks the fun out of it, eh.

Its not like it was a big secret; his casting was announced months ago, he appeared at Comic-Con on the FlashForward panel, he's been shown in promos, both on air and in print...
GiantAsianMan

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 9th, 2009 @ 1:27pm

Damn it, I fell asleep during the last 10 min of this weeks episode. Need to rewatch.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Skrattybones » Oct 9th, 2009 @ 2:28pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:
Skrattybones wrote:What'd you do, IMDB everybody who's gonna be in the show? Sorta sucks the fun out of it, eh.

Its not like it was a big secret; his casting was announced months ago, he appeared at Comic-Con on the FlashForward panel, he's been shown in promos, both on air and in print...

I.. see. Ah well, I have absolutely no idea who that is anyway, so at least it'll be a surprise to me.
Skrattybones

Postby Atomsmasher » Oct 9th, 2009 @ 10:20pm

I'm usually not the type that gripes about minor details in media (hence me still watching Heroes), but there's one thing that irks me with this show. How everyone constantly says "in my flashforward.." "my flashforward said this.." "her flashforward showed the same thing.." they say the name of the show too damn much, it's much better when they just refer to it as a vision or whatever.
Atomsmasher

Postby ATC 1982 » Oct 12th, 2009 @ 6:26am

I watched the first three episodes on Hulu to give this show a start. So far all I got was that the little girl is taken. The main guy gets divorced and his partner dies while his girl hooks up with someone else and that boss dude likes to sit on the can a lot.

So did I lose something from watching the first three episodes or am I over thinking this?
ATC 1982

Postby James-Kond » Oct 12th, 2009 @ 2:30pm

Spoilarz:

Dude Chau can't be dead because his wife saw him! *shocker!*

This is really getting in to Lost territory now :)

(oh I know he played other parts but he stays Chau to me :D)
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Next
Forum Statistics