Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Stargate Universe

Postby Klendathu » Oct 3rd, 2009 @ 12:14pm

Now what did you see? I tell you what I saw.

The kid recruited for having too much WoW on his CV.
Utter BS. If Eli at least had been to Stargate University, then he'd have an excuse for having half a clue. Now he will be a constant spawning point for insane plot twists. Can't wait to find out which other secret government riddles he solved in an MMO that prove to be handy a billion lightyears from home. We also know that the U.S. government will continue to provide bad health care to the masses so that blackmailing people into cooperating remains an option. I want my McKay back right about now!

The "Lost in Space" conceit.
Better not to ask too many questions on how they ended up where they are. The fact that it's being told by flashbacks indicates they scrapped their original slower introduction anyway.

Destiny orientation 101.
It's Voyager all over again. Stupid resource focused episodes nobody cared about when they were on Man vs. Wild. Factions of the crew slowly evolving, yawn. The ship is broken enough to be in no shape for a fight, yet "Ancient" enough to reliably churn out some last minute deus ex machina to turn every battle with evil aliens. Yawn²

The noble sacrifice.
I am torn. On the one hand, it's totally BS for a Senator to do that. On the other hand, we do not get to see his "where's my pills episode". My third hand tells me to make an online petition "to shoot all QQers on the crew", even if they look somewhat similar to Summer Glau. I am sure Summer Glau will be out of a job after this season of Dollhouse, so they could do us the favor and hire the real thing.

The rules.
Now we know it's not Voyager, it's Sliders. We also learn the ship is the ultimate evil nanny. Like a real Nanny, the ship has the courtesy to drive you to places you might require, but if you are not home by ten...

Right now the series is not there yet. Stargate used to be about exploration, dumb bad guys pulled straight from 1920ies Flash Gordon and cool characters. Neither do I think the characters are cool, nor have any bad guys emerged yet. The only thing being explored is the fragile mental state of the crew, so I guess Syfy is doing fine with the Emo demographic. It is very hard for the viewer to think of the ship and the plot as the most exciting series on TV, when the characters are constantly bitching and moaning about their situation.
Klendathu

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Skrattybones » Oct 4th, 2009 @ 6:27am

Calling it right now. Awkward love triangle between the hot chick, the young military dude and the fat geek.
Skrattybones

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 4th, 2009 @ 6:53pm

I thought it was ok, better than most stuff on TV. Look forward to watching more in the future.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Info » Oct 4th, 2009 @ 8:35pm

It was very pretty. Characters were ok, the writing was atypical of previous Stargates where there was almost no joking around. I'm not sure if that was part of the situation they are in, and they'll get lighter later, or whether that is them trying to go for the more serious BSG writing (which they shouldn't imo, not completely). I like what i'm taking to be a more serial nature of the show, less of a monster/planet of the week, something that the last season of SG1 kind of started, but then every once and a while they would shift to something else which were almost always the weaker episodes. I will keep watching, see if it gets better later, pilots aren't always the best indication of direction.

Does anyone think/know if there ever will be a "big bad" other than the random and brokeass nature of the Destiny? Will there be some big antagonist they find on a planet who want the ship for themselves maybe? Seem like it might be hard to keep a consistent villain unless they somehow stop the ship from jumping around, otherwise they would have to have a ship of similar capabilities.

I dunno, bottom line is that it isn't the Stargate I loved when I watched SG1 (never got into atlantis, but I watched some and I know they also had the clever funny writing aspect in it), but I am willing to give it a chance. Probably only because it is Stargate.
Info

Postby Skrattybones » Oct 5th, 2009 @ 1:46am

In the scene right after the military dude is talking to the senator's daughter, when it switches over to the scientist and the fat geek.. what the hell is that in the top left corner of the shot?

It's like, moving during the few seconds that camera angle is on screen. Somebody's hand, maybe?
Skrattybones

Postby MrBiggs » Oct 5th, 2009 @ 6:45am

Am I the only one who thought Richard Dean Anderson really let himself go?

I agree with Info about a bad guy. I have no idea how they'll work with that, but I'm willing to give them a shot and see where they're going. Hell I'll probably stick around even if it's bad anyway.

Skrattybones, could that be one of the floating camera balls? Kinos? I forget what they're calling them.
MrBiggs

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 5th, 2009 @ 3:50pm

MrBiggs wrote:Am I the only one who thought Richard Dean Anderson really let himself go?

You're not the only one. I seriously thought that the aspect ratio setting on my TV was messed up, causing the screen to stretch and make people look fat. I kid you not, I hit pause and fooled around with the settings trying to make Richard Dean Anderson look "right". :lol:
slinkdickens

Postby jinx » Oct 5th, 2009 @ 8:29pm

Anyone else notice the Ancients have nice leather sofas on their observation deck?

I've never been much for anything sci-fi, short of what the general masses are watching, so I'm sure I'm in for a world of new in this thread =)

Can't wait to see what kind of crazy mass revolt will start if they kill off Colonel Young. I seriously was waiting for everyone to go nuts when Rush declared himself leader. Wonder what they're going to do with the thread, the whole "we-can-communicate-in-real-time" thing.
jinx

Postby Skrattybones » Oct 6th, 2009 @ 4:04am

MrBiggs wrote:
Skrattybones, could that be one of the floating camera balls? Kinos? I forget what they're calling them.

That's what I thought the first time I watched through the episode, but then I realized it didn't make sense. The camera might be from the perspective of a Kino, but why would you see it in the corner as well?

Aside from that, it looks like.. it's like a knee or something. Like the camera dude is kneeling down and holding the camera by the floor and his knee happens to be in the shot. I dunno. It looks weird in movement. If I knew how to make a .gif I'd do one up to better show it off.
Skrattybones

Postby ATC 1982 » Oct 10th, 2009 @ 7:21am

I am giving this a shot from to watch from the on demand section from comcast which i hate
ATC 1982

Postby Atomsmasher » Oct 10th, 2009 @ 11:03am

It seems alright so far, this coming from someone who hasn't seen any other Stargate besides the original movie. I dunno about that fat nerdy guy though, he doesn't really fit with this kinda show..
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 13th, 2009 @ 12:04am

So, episode two takes place on a planet with nothing but sand on it. It was pretty much a yawnfest with a groaner of a side plot involving the senator's wife crying of his death. Didn't we see enough sobbing over that guy last week?

SPOILERS

The only thing to justify all the melodrama is if that shuttle taking off was the Senator reborn. Well, not really because that will just mean a long and drawn out mystery filled with sci-fi mumbo jumbo mixed with psuedo-philosophy (in other words, the low points of Lost plots).
slinkdickens

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 15th, 2009 @ 5:52am

Isn't the sand planet episode 3? Episode 1 and 2 are the premiere movie-length bull-shit thing. I think I'm done with the show... Episode 4 (or 3 if Sand World is your Episode 2) will determine this. Gotta miss SG1 >.>
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby ATC 1982 » Oct 16th, 2009 @ 7:56pm

when is episode 4 going to be on? Kinda lost when this show does air as hulu it is not on yet.
ATC 1982

Postby Atomsmasher » Oct 16th, 2009 @ 8:29pm

It's on Friday at 9, on hulu it comes up sometime on Saturday
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher

Postby ATC 1982 » Oct 17th, 2009 @ 5:51am

Thanks Atom
ATC 1982

Postby Atomsmasher » Oct 17th, 2009 @ 10:59am

Can someone explain to me the time period these stargate shows take place in? It's really weird when they show scenes back on earth and it looks like modern earth and then suddenly they're back on this super futuristic space ship.
Atomsmasher

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 18th, 2009 @ 12:39am

Atomsmasher wrote:Can someone explain to me the time period these stargate shows take place in? It's really weird when they show scenes back on earth and it looks like modern earth and then suddenly they're back on this super futuristic space ship.

It's supposed to be present day earth. The premise of Stargate is that aliens with advanced technology made the Stargates. In the show, they call the makers of the Stargates the "Ancients". That's why you'll hear them talking about "Ancient technology".

All the advanced gadgetry that earth has in its possession is discovered alien technology (like the giant spaceship the show is centered around), technology that combines alien and earth technology (like the spaceship that earth has in the pilot), or earth technology based on things they learned from alien tech (like the space fighters that they were flying around in the pilot). All of this technology is top secret and no one on earth knows about it except for those that have clearance.
slinkdickens

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 18th, 2009 @ 12:47am

Saw episode 4 and one thing that I like so far is that this isn't SG1: Lost in Space edition. Unlike Stargate Atlantis, they're straying from the '4-person team that goes off-world' model that SG1 was known for.

Another difference is that these Stargates lead to uninhabited planets (so far). At the very least, they're planets that have not been influenced by the Ancients. So, whatever drama comes up will have to be different than the 'start and/or fix drama with the locals' plots that made up most of SG1 and Stargate Atlantis.

I'm not liking the melodrama. The video diaries segments were lame. I also didn't need to see yet another "let's say goodbye to my loved one on earth" segment. Is there gonna be one of these every week?
slinkdickens

Postby Skrattybones » Oct 18th, 2009 @ 1:55am

Probably something like that in every episode until every character is introduced. Was the shot of the chick in a tank top and underwear really needed? Is she even a named character?
Skrattybones

Postby ATC 1982 » Oct 18th, 2009 @ 7:19am

I think the girl in the tank and shorts was just to show they have a busty character. Also she is the same one I think that has been complaining she should not even be there cause she wanted to transfer two weeks ago.
ATC 1982

Postby Skrattybones » Oct 19th, 2009 @ 8:58am

Naw, the transfer-out-two-weeks-ago one is the medic, isn't it?
Skrattybones

Postby ATC 1982 » Oct 19th, 2009 @ 10:15am

Yes the two weeks girl was the medic
ATC 1982

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 19th, 2009 @ 11:01am

Skrattybones wrote:Probably something like that in every episode until every character is introduced. Was the shot of the chick in a tank top and underwear really needed? Is she even a named character?

I think she might be a fairly significant secondary character. She's the chick that Lt. Scott was banging in the pilot.
slinkdickens

Postby ATC 1982 » Oct 20th, 2009 @ 7:51am

I can see a cat fight between her and the senators daughter over Lt. Scott down the road.
ATC 1982

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 21st, 2009 @ 2:51pm

Does SGU remind anyone else of early Lost episodes?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Klendathu » Oct 23rd, 2009 @ 3:12am

I say it now BEFORE episode airs:

39 minutes of whining
2 minutes of special effects massacre
1 minute of the ship saying "I did that on purpose"

Lost was better at this stage, because they did not waste entire episodes on getting single resources. They just got some water, Locke choked some boars and that was that.

Lost used the main story line to focus on the island, the side story line to focus on the past of a character and the resources were an afterthought that was addressed quickly.

Stargate Universe on the other hand wastes his main story lines on how people get to breathe (on a spaceship traveling between GALAXIES, for crying out loud). The side story is a bunch whining emos and only the faintest of time goes into an actual story. Before the series started, I hated Eli, now I have to say that he is at least not whining all the time like so many others.

I want to know about the ship and where this is going. I do not need whining Senator's housewives. I want squat leaders to shoot people in the face, not go on cross-galaxy marriage counseling trips. I'd like to see the characters go forward, not inward.
Klendathu

Postby ATC 1982 » Oct 23rd, 2009 @ 8:12am

I wish they would just stop using the stones cause using them are getting on my nerves with that LT who thinks he is all high and mighty. I think he would have either shot someone or would have been shot by someone.
ATC 1982

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 23rd, 2009 @ 12:00pm

Klendathu wrote:I say it now BEFORE episode airs:

39 minutes of whining
2 minutes of special effects massacre
1 minute of the ship saying "I did that on purpose"

Lost was better at this stage, because they did not waste entire episodes on getting single resources. They just got some water, Locke choked some boars and that was that.

Lost used the main story line to focus on the island, the side story line to focus on the past of a character and the resources were an afterthought that was addressed quickly.

Stargate Universe on the other hand wastes his main story lines on how people get to breathe (on a spaceship traveling between GALAXIES, for crying out loud). The side story is a bunch whining emos and only the faintest of time goes into an actual story. Before the series started, I hated Eli, now I have to say that he is at least not whining all the time like so many others.

I want to know about the ship and where this is going. I do not need whining Senator's housewives. I want squat leaders to shoot people in the face, not go on cross-galaxy marriage counseling trips. I'd like to see the characters go forward, not inward.

Lost did dedicate episodes to getting resources, the water episode where Boone stole the water and Jack saw his dad and then found the caves and the episode where they tortured Sawyer for the medicine come to mind. Lost just did it much better than SGU.

I agree though, the show needs more action and should focus on less characters(my guess is they'll be killing some off soon). It's starting out pretty slow but I can see SGU becoming better than SG-1 and Atlantis once they get past the "ship is falling apart" stuff and focus on what they're doing and hopefully introduce an enemy of some kind.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 23rd, 2009 @ 2:23pm

I think that they'll eventually get around to going to the Senator's shuttle and discover that it's missing. They've been hinting at it. There was a brief mention about needing to do something about the Senator's body. Also, there was a brief mention about trying to use the shuttles. In both cases, I felt it meant that no one has gone back to the Senator ever since the pilot.

If it's gonna happen, I think it will be tonight since the previews showed the crew talking about having to put people on the available shuttles to survive.
slinkdickens

Next
Forum Statistics