Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Klendathu » Oct 24th, 2009 @ 9:47am

slinkdickens wrote:I think that they'll eventually get around to going to the Senator's shuttle and discover that it's missing.


The Senator's shuttle is not missing. The shuttle leaving at the end of episode 3 was not the shuttle the Senator occupied.

Picture 1 shows you the Senator's shuttle. It is elongated at has wings to which weapons are attached.
Image

Picture 2 is the shuttle that left. It looks more like an egg.
Image

I assume they are hinting at the first alien race. Clearly hostile, since their exhaust vent is red.
Klendathu
User avatar
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 11:25am

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Info » Oct 24th, 2009 @ 11:41am

Either way, the jettisoning pod at the end of an episode was clumsily handled, considering they haven't even mentioned it again yet.
Info
User avatar
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 12:12am

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Skrattybones » Oct 24th, 2009 @ 4:42pm

Who would mention it? Nobody on the ship knows it was there and then left. They can't do "the aliens show up" episode yet, since they're still resolving the "we need shit to live" stuff. So until they're able to kick back and go "Oh, hey. We're good to go." they won't do the aliens.
Skrattybones
User avatar
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 6:31am
Location: Halifax, Canada

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 25th, 2009 @ 9:51am

Klendathu wrote:I assume they are hinting at the first alien race. Clearly hostile, since their exhaust vent is red.


I'm hoping for Furlings
Image
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Klendathu » Oct 25th, 2009 @ 11:05am

just watched this week's episode. This is one of the days I wished DVRs did not exist. In the past, I would just have missed the episode and be a happier man. Ok, so it were only 28 minutes of whining and not the 39 I predicted, but nevertheless the writers must think the viewer to be stupid. Destiny is not going to be destroyed five episodes into the show, not even the most clever writing in the two universes can make me believe anything else. Then wasting five minutes on doing the same to the shuttle crew was just as unlikely

I am really starting to dislike the show. Former Stargate shows were more about adventure, Syfy should rename the show "Whiners in Space", or Stargate Emoverse.
Klendathu
User avatar
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 11:25am

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Info » Oct 25th, 2009 @ 10:38pm

Skrattybones wrote:Who would mention it? Nobody on the ship knows it was there and then left. They can't do "the aliens show up" episode yet, since they're still resolving the "we need shit to live" stuff. So until they're able to kick back and go "Oh, hey. We're good to go." they won't do the aliens.

true, but I just mean why bother to show it at the end of that episode? maybe they are just trying to get some sort of crazy lost theories thing going on.
Info
User avatar
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 12:12am

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 26th, 2009 @ 12:46pm

Klendathu wrote:
slinkdickens wrote:I think that they'll eventually get around to going to the Senator's shuttle and discover that it's missing.


The Senator's shuttle is not missing. The shuttle leaving at the end of episode 3 was not the shuttle the Senator occupied.

Picture 1 shows you the Senator's shuttle. It is elongated at has wings to which weapons are attached.
Image

Picture 2 is the shuttle that left. It looks more like an egg.
Image

I assume they are hinting at the first alien race. Clearly hostile, since their exhaust vent is red.


Wut? That's no fun.
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 26th, 2009 @ 1:12pm

Klendathu wrote:just watched this week's episode. This is one of the days I wished DVRs did not exist. In the past, I would just have missed the episode and be a happier man. Ok, so it were only 28 minutes of whining and not the 39 I predicted, but nevertheless the writers must think the viewer to be stupid. Destiny is not going to be destroyed five episodes into the show, not even the most clever writing in the two universes can make me believe anything else. Then wasting five minutes on doing the same to the shuttle crew was just as unlikely

I am really starting to dislike the show. Former Stargate shows were more about adventure, Syfy should rename the show "Whiners in Space", or Stargate Emoverse.


This is my favorite episode so far. I think that this was the most interesting situation they put the characters in to date. There was a lot of character development that didn't seem as contrived as past episodes (although I could do without the 'confessionals').

I also think this episode will really get everyone to trust Destiny. Some, such as Rush, may even begin to revere it as if it is a physical manifestation of destiny.

It also acts as a catalyst for the Eli/Chloe/Matthew love triangle. Chloe made her choice, but that was when she thought she was going to die. Is Eli really stuck in the friend zone? We can see that Chloe has no basis for the strong sentiment she expressed to Matthew. In real life, we know that relationships based on infatuation burn out quickly. Do the writers have enough respect for the audience to acknowledge this? Also, dude was banging another chick in the pilot, which is just a few days ago in SGU time, I think. So, I could see Matthew messing things up with Chloe by saying something to the effect that "but I thought we were all going to die" when pressed for commitment.
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Info » Oct 28th, 2009 @ 6:57pm

Was it just me or did the Chloe & Matthew relationship come out of nowhere? I totally had not seen hints of that before this episode (wasn't he the one having sex in the first one with someone else?). And Chloe seemed to bet getting closer to Eli. Then everyone thinks they are going to die and she's like "Hey Matt, your the hottest guy left, let's go have sex before we die."
Info
User avatar
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 12:12am

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Klendathu » Oct 29th, 2009 @ 4:35am

I assume they need her to get pregnant, because it is that much more "better" when she pops a child from her hips in the middle of an epic space battle. Since SyFy is a bit touchy on the violence issue it might be the only way to get some frantic screams of pain intercut with spaceship explosion. I guess it is another thing they intent to copy from Voyager.

I would not mind Eli getting shot and replaced by McKay. David Hewlett is that much better of an actor and getting lost in space would fit the tragedy of his character far better than WoW-boy.
Klendathu
User avatar
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 11:25am

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 29th, 2009 @ 12:57pm

Klendathu wrote:I would not mind Eli getting shot and replaced by McKay. David Hewlett is that much better of an actor and getting lost in space would fit the tragedy of his character far better than WoW-boy.


Speaking of McKay, why don't they use the stones and get McKay and Carter on the ship to help fix it up and then get Daniel Jackson on there to solve some mysteries.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Klendathu » Oct 29th, 2009 @ 1:45pm

Mr_eX wrote:Speaking of McKay, why don't they use the stones and get McKay and Carter on the ship to help fix it up and then get Daniel Jackson on there to solve some mysteries.


Because once you cancel a series, you will find all of the actors are super-busy not having time to promote their own successors.
Klendathu
User avatar
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 11:25am

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 29th, 2009 @ 1:58pm

Is it that or bad writing?
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 29th, 2009 @ 4:41pm

Info wrote:Was it just me or did the Chloe & Matthew relationship come out of nowhere? I totally had not seen hints of that before this episode (wasn't he the one having sex in the first one with someone else?). And Chloe seemed to bet getting closer to Eli. Then everyone thinks they are going to die and she's like "Hey Matt, your the hottest guy left, let's go have sex before we die."


I thought it was pretty sudden too. Especially when Chloe told Matt, "I've never felt closer to anyone than you." Hot damn! They should've cut to Matt with a scared look on his face like when a guy gets "I love you" from the girl he's just casually dating.
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 29th, 2009 @ 4:44pm

Mr_eX wrote:Speaking of McKay, why don't they use the stones and get McKay and Carter on the ship to help fix it up and then get Daniel Jackson on there to solve some mysteries.


That won't work because Carter has a terrible English accent now. Someone will shoot her before she can fix anything.
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Atomsmasher » Nov 7th, 2009 @ 12:51am

Is it just me, or did that whole body switching thing not make sense. Why did Young's wife not even react at all to the fact that he was in a different body?
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher
User avatar
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Apr 17th, 2009 @ 9:17pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Klendathu » Nov 7th, 2009 @ 2:32am

A few other "communication stones" related plotholes:

(*) Whose idea was it to sit down the receiver unguarded? Do they have no fear the stones might end up in the wrong hands allowing aliens access to the SGC?
(*) Why are the receivers on Earth anyway? That is as if they almost knew the planet on which their expedition started was not safe.
(*) Expertise, why? As others pointed out before me, the writers seem to have made the stones into a plot device allowing for more drama and more whining. If you are into drama and whining then SGU is your show. If you are a "get up and actually do something clever" kinda guy, then you have to wait for 38 minutes each week until SGU serves you with two minutes of "deus ex machina" solutions applied to the script with a crowbar. The rest is moaning, complaining, dumb stress related quarrels, whining, and more whining just to be safe.

I think I rather watch the original series again. This SGU should be renamed "Emos Lost in Space" and be avoided by the general population.
Klendathu
User avatar
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 11:25am

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 7th, 2009 @ 7:29am

Next weeks episode looks like it might actually be from a Stargate series.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Klendathu » Nov 15th, 2009 @ 10:37am

Actually, this week really was an episode of Stargate, the SciFi adventure show.

Usually I'd complain about how episode eight was just a combination of Blair Witch Project and standard issue time paradoxon, but I am willing to throw the show a bone here. These were the good news.

The bad news are that there is still more weeping and moaning going on than in all hospital shows combined. SGU still appears to be the spin-off show of "General Hospital: Hopeless Oncology Ward". You wish the cast would finally reach the stages of a catharsis leaving them emotionally dead inside and go on with their misadventure.

The really bad news is the announcement for next week.
The crew finds a device that may hold the promise of getting them home. Lt. Scott and Camille visit their loved ones using the communication stones.
No the device will not get you home and yes, more crying with loved ones. Just great.
Klendathu
User avatar
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 11:25am

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Info » Nov 15th, 2009 @ 11:19am

The communication stones are quickly becoming the Holo-deck of the series.

I liked last weeks episode, despite getting sick of the fish-eye effect for the Kenos. Are they going to leave it at that, and we are to assume that the second time everything worked out? I guess watching the whole thing play out again would be boring, just seemed like a weird way to end it, like they were trying to be "edgy" or something.
Info
User avatar
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 12:12am

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Klendathu » Nov 15th, 2009 @ 12:03pm

No that's it for that story line. They got the message in a bottle, figured it out and we trust they can capture the creatures by day. But hotdamm, for their size those were some really confident suckers.
Klendathu
User avatar
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 11:25am

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby slinkdickens » Nov 16th, 2009 @ 6:43pm

Klendathu wrote:The really bad news is the announcement for next week.
The crew finds a device that may hold the promise of getting them home. Lt. Scott and Camille visit their loved ones using the communication stones.
No the device will not get you home and yes, more crying with loved ones. Just great.


I officially hate the comm. stones now. The first weepy loved ones reunification was okay, but they keep rehashing the same scene with different characters. Enough already!
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Klendathu » Nov 23rd, 2009 @ 1:31pm

Anybody else but me still watching this? I am still at a total loss of words what this is supposed to be. It's not Stargate since there is a lack of space adventure. It is not Desperate Housewives since there clearly is no humor. Who turn in every week to see depressed people in space?
Klendathu
User avatar
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 11:25am

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby slinkdickens » Nov 23rd, 2009 @ 8:11pm

I'm sticking with it for no good reason.

My gripe of the week is that we get character confessionals yet again. I thought they would go away after everyone recorded their piece on the Keno, but the imagination bankrupt writers came up with a way to keep the confessionals going. This type, it's a psych evaluation.

Character confessionals is one of the laziest ways to get the audience into the minds of the characters. They may as well have subtitles to provide exposition for what's going on in all the character's minds. I wonder what the writers will come up with next week. Maybe they'll have a montage of voice overs.

That said, I thought there was one creative moment when the Asian lesbian lady breaks down at the sight of the painting, exclaiming that she forgot the rowboat. Maybe it stood out more because of how cliche and tired every other dramatic moment has played out, but it was a nice touch to show someone who is trying so hard to be tough have something very simple push her over the edge.
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Skrattybones » Nov 24th, 2009 @ 5:24am

Is anyone else wondering what the fuck happened between this episode and last week? I was fully expecting this week's episode to have been Time Part 2 or something. I guess we just assume the third time around they found the Keyno and did shit right.
Skrattybones
User avatar
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 6:31am
Location: Halifax, Canada

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby MrBiggs » Nov 24th, 2009 @ 10:02am

I assumed that at the end of last week. My problem with this week's episode is that nothing happened. I love the idea of a slow burn, but these writers are just doing it wrong.

I'll still keep watching, though. I can't think of a better sci-fi show on the network right now.
MrBiggs
User avatar
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Mar 19th, 2009 @ 4:44pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Arcion » Jan 9th, 2010 @ 2:25pm

I'll give it one more or so, but it's just not Stargate without P90's blasting baddies..... I am really tired of the crappy Sci-Fi out right now.
Arcion
User avatar
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Jan 9th, 2010 @ 1:54pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby slinkdickens » Apr 5th, 2010 @ 1:23pm

New episode aired on Friday. This episode was decent. Finally, no confessionals! After watching this one, I'm actually looking forward to the next episode.
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 5th, 2010 @ 2:41pm

The next episode looks like its another "who should be in charge" episode, I'm really sick of those.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby slinkdickens » Apr 5th, 2010 @ 3:26pm

Mr_eX wrote:The next episode looks like its another "who should be in charge" episode, I'm really sick of those.


Well, if it's a sub plot like it was this week, I won't mind. Otherwise....lame!
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Options

Return to TV and Movies

cron