Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby MrBiggs » Apr 7th, 2010 @ 6:34am

It also seems kind of quick to have a mutiny. Sure tensions between the civilians and military are usually high, but would Rush really be able to turn that into action so quickly?
MrBiggs

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 7th, 2010 @ 6:44am

They find out they're being hunted by aliens, perfect time for a mutiny
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby slinkdickens » Apr 7th, 2010 @ 10:48am

MrBiggs wrote:It also seems kind of quick to have a mutiny. Sure tensions between the civilians and military are usually high, but would Rush really be able to turn that into action so quickly?

I'm with you. I'm not buying the whole mutiny angle. I don't think the writers have "earned" a mutiny, if that makes sense. What I mean is that while they showed that Rush and Camile are interested in a power grab, they haven't shown (convincingly) why anyone else would be interested in a mutiny.

I think they're trying to have the high drama of Battlestar Gallactica. The thing is, the drama in BS was a slow burn. There was a lot of foundation laid to show why the other colonies might be resentful of the military's control. That's what's missing in the SGU mutiny plot.
slinkdickens

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 10th, 2010 @ 9:49am

The episode OK but this show really doesn't seem like it should be called Stargate.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 10th, 2010 @ 7:34pm

Well eventually they're going to bring in the Lucian Alliance, and then there were the aliens last week, so adding other groups of people will hopefully change the dynamic. I'm pretty bored of the "I don't like the way you lead" thing that's been going on since the show started.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 10th, 2010 @ 7:40pm

Daniel Jackson was shown in a trailer, so maybe that episode will actually be Stargate like.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Fallen_Angel » Apr 12th, 2010 @ 11:36am

Mr_eX wrote:The episode OK but this show really doesn't seem like it should be called Stargate.

This is prolly the first time I've thought of this and I agree. But even though that's the case, I really dig the show.
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby Klendathu » Apr 13th, 2010 @ 6:56am

Tensions between military authority and civilian ideas of self-determination would make for a good TV drama in Irak, not outer space. That is something AMC would produce on a shoestring budget with one studio set and some shots out in the California desert.

Why you need to go to outer space for that is just a riddle.

Meanwhile the characters are an insult to their intellect. Pickering for control when they should already realize the only entitiy in control is the Destiny autopilot. The writers do not have the characters act like a human group forced to work together under distress. The writers annoy us with having them interact as if they were all in some Survivor camp or BigBrother container with all the time in the world to go at each other. At least the whining stopped for the most part.
Klendathu

Postby Fallen_Angel » Apr 13th, 2010 @ 7:01am

Damn Klendathu, learn how to spell a country's name...
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 13th, 2010 @ 3:06pm

Klendathu wrote:Tensions between military authority and civilian ideas of self-determination would make for a good TV drama in Irak, not outer space. That is something AMC would produce on a shoestring budget with one studio set and some shots out in the California desert.

Meanwhile the characters are an insult to their intellect. Pickering for control when they should already realize the only entitiy in control is the Destiny autopilot. The writers do not have the characters act like a human group forced to work together under distress. The writers annoy us with having them interact as if they were all in some Survivor camp or BigBrother container with all the time in the world to go at each other. At least the whining stopped for the most part.

People don't usually get along when thrown together in a group, it's in our nature to want to lead. People thrown together will section off and form groups of like minded people and vie for control, and you already mentioned the autopilot, with it they pretty much do have all the time in the world. Basically it is a survivor camp, just one floating through space. Think of it like High School. I just got an idea for the next Stargate!
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 13th, 2010 @ 3:07pm

Fallen_Angel wrote:Damn Klendathu, learn how to spell a country's name...

I like how he spells Iraq, it's kind of cute.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby slinkdickens » Apr 13th, 2010 @ 4:25pm

Klendathu wrote:Tensions between military authority and civilian ideas of self-determination would make for a good TV drama in Irak, not outer space. That is something AMC would produce on a shoestring budget with one studio set and some shots out in the California desert.

Sci-fi has long been used as allegory for real life conflict. There are countless books, T.V. show episodes, and movies that touch specifically on the tensions between military and civilians. I'm surprised you don't know that.

To name a few notable examples, Battlestar Gallactica, various episodes of Star Trek (I think there's at least one episode on this in every series), Enders Game (book), and Starship Troopers (book).
slinkdickens

Postby Skrattybones » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 12:09am

I dunno. I can sort of believe the whole Civvie versus Military thing happening. I'm the first generation male-born in my family not to join the military in generations, and tensions between me and the rest of my (military) family were often much like the show; them trying to exert control over every little detail and me finding new and unique ways to fuck with them.
Skrattybones

Postby Oakstout » Apr 26th, 2010 @ 12:50pm

Finally watched the Mutiny episode.

The tension wasn't exactly there yet to cause such a drastic chain of events. Sure, there needed to be some changes and the military really didn't need to be running the show especially after the Colonel tried to kill Rush, the only person that might actually help them get home.

But to have the mutiny so quick at the beginning of the season was maybe too much. It should have been the cliff hanger for next season.

I really wasn't into the show when if first aired, but after getting a chance to see all of the first couple of episodes, thanks to a SyFy marathon, I've decided to give the show a second chance and so far it hasn't disappointed like Atlantis did.
Oakstout

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 26th, 2010 @ 3:42pm

Mr_eX wrote:Daniel Jackson was shown in a trailer, so maybe that episode will actually be Stargate like.

You're thoughts? I thought it was pretty bad, that Douglas Adams reference felt very written-into-a-script as opposed to a guy talking to a lunatic.

Before that episode my sister made me an elephant cut out of paper with 42 written across its legs and it made me think of reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy again, was a strange coincidence.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 26th, 2010 @ 7:34pm

Episode was pretty boring, I don't think that was the Daniel Jackson episode shown in the commercials, I expect him to be in another episode this season.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby MrBiggs » Apr 27th, 2010 @ 6:32am

Yeah the 42 reference was pretty lame, but I thought the episode as a whole was really very strong. Stranding people who you know aren't going to be stranded forever hasn't been done yet, so I'm actually looking forward to what happens next (this) week.
MrBiggs

Postby Oakstout » May 5th, 2010 @ 8:08am

People lost off world and not able to save them? So far that particular plot has me excited for the next episode. I think they are really trying to make the human factor a prime plot element. Sure we have this cool ship and we've been attacked by cool aliens, but following a group of people not familar with these types of situations and watching them react under the microsope is pretty interesting.

So far my second try at this show hasn't dissappointed.
Oakstout

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » May 6th, 2010 @ 9:16pm

I'm surprised they weren't rescued. They show usually resolves things pretty quickly, if not within an episode, than in two.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Klendathu » May 7th, 2010 @ 1:07am

Maybe they do not want to end the season on a cliffhanger for once. I do not really like those episodes with three to four months in between. The conclusion always falls short, the end of the season becomes lackluster by definition and starting in the middle of an episode can seriously impede the ability of new viewers to join.

Look at 24 for comparison. The closed story nature of each season allowed new viewers to come in for a new season while being fully able to watch an older season or buy the DvD of it. Prison Break did something similar by resetting its story each season, albeit with more baggage to carry over. As a result, both those shows grew in their audience, while even Lost slowly lost audience from season to season. Prison Break and 24 also never had to build towards a big season finale cliffhanger, they were able to have action in every single episode.

If Syfy learned lessons from the concept of those Fox shows, they might also choose to end SG:U's story after season 1 and begin with a new story arc for season 2. The show hints at Destiny leaving its current galaxy, that is one indication for the show leaving behind all other side-story plots of certain alien races with it. From the TV guide it seems the season one audience might simply have a slight headstart in regards to the season 2 "starting point". The three people not getting rescued last episode also make sense reading the TV guide previews.

I hope we get no cliffhanger but a good resolution to a good season finale. One that wants us coming back because we are attached to the series, not just interested in how some plot mystery is resolved by deus ex machina. Season 2 viewers then are able to start watching SG:U because they all know all there is to know: "there are these people on this ship and they just entered this new galaxy". Just like Prison Break season 2 started with "there are these people who just broke out of prison and now they are on the run that is all you need to know".
Klendathu

Postby ATC 1982 » May 8th, 2010 @ 3:49am

they sure did clear the guys being stranded up really quick .... who would have thunk Rush could love and enjoy himself...
ATC 1982

Postby Mr_eX » May 8th, 2010 @ 8:29am

So the paralyzed chick was more qualified than Carter and McKay?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Fallen_Angel » May 8th, 2010 @ 10:17pm

Mr_eX wrote:So the paralyzed chick was more qualified than Carter and McKay?

Well she was a hyperdrive expert so yeah.

Anyways that Lieutenant Hooters is something, huh? :lol:
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby MrBiggs » May 9th, 2010 @ 6:38am

Fallen_Angel wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:So the paralyzed chick was more qualified than Carter and McKay?

Well she was a hyperdrive expert so yeah.

Also, Carter and McKay wouldn't try to seduce Rush so there's that.
MrBiggs

Postby Klendathu » May 9th, 2010 @ 10:37am

With tooth and claw this episode clang to the worst things about SG:U

(1) Musical montage, again. I guess since MTV is not all about music videos anymore, SyFy maybe wants to pick up
(2) Token Lesbianism. Some writers are still all about making Earth flashbacks worse than those of Lost. Some producers at Syfy obviously were concerned with the lack of outrage and media attention the SG:U lesbianism received, so they thought throwing in paraplegic lesbianism might do the trick. It does not.
(3) Look, it's a deus-ex-machina machine. Just add human sacrifice, I mean ascension wannabe.

The other half of the episode wasn't bad. The expert from Earth brought some much required genuine excitement to the situation. Mr. Vegetable man got a cool Karen Sjet moment and we learn that the Aliens can be quite resourceful.
Klendathu

Postby slinkdickens » May 10th, 2010 @ 4:28pm

WTF was up with the 3 people that were left behind in the last episode just showing up in the newest episode? That was so lame. It was this dramatic cliffhanger and then they just show up with no explanation. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I will, however, applaud this last episode with finally doing something interesting with the communication stones. The story with the paraplegic was an interesting and unique story that could only be told in the sci-fi setting.
slinkdickens

Postby slinkdickens » May 10th, 2010 @ 4:30pm

Fallen_Angel wrote:Anyways that Lieutenant Hooters is something, huh? :lol:

Yeah, no kidding. Those things are bigger than her head!
slinkdickens

Postby Klendathu » May 16th, 2010 @ 11:16am

After the first minute I was happy for a brief moment, before I thought that we were not going to get that lucky. Then I realized it was going to be one of "those" episodes. A typical filler episode with one of the more worn out plot templates. Well executed, I grant them that, but if you are not totally new to TV, you probably have seen this type of episode in a few shows already. That also lowered the tension a bit, since it was clear that nobody from the main cast was going to die over such an episode and red shirts are in short supply.

I also noticed the new Syfy logo animation which was graciously taken from the Playstation spots. And it got more musical montages, of course.
Klendathu

Postby ATC 1982 » Sep 28th, 2010 @ 4:38pm

It starts again tonight at maybe 8 or 9 EST ...
ATC 1982

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 28th, 2010 @ 10:58pm

It's already back?

Then again reading this last page I've forgotten some of the things that happened in the show, so maybe they did a good thing by bringing it back so soon.
BEARinaMANSUIT

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics