Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 35

Postby Rydog » Oct 15th, 2009 @ 1:16am

This week sees the return of our full, regular cast (and a more reasonable running time). Give it a listen right here!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 35

Postby ATC 1982 » Oct 15th, 2009 @ 3:20am

I am glad you put it up at 6:something am. As I hit refresh I was glad to see I would not have to find another horrible podcast to hurt my ears with today. So thank you for saving me and hour and 22 minutes to try and find this morning out of 9 hours.
ATC 1982

Postby James-Kond » Oct 15th, 2009 @ 6:55am

Black superheroes?
Way to go racial.
Jeez.
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby LiQuid » Oct 15th, 2009 @ 8:48am

Wow. Legend of the Red Dragon. I used to play LORD, Usurper and Cartel on about a dozen BBS's back in the day. I've been looking for a Usurper game on the internet forever since that was my favorite BBS game, but this will do. :)
LiQuid

Postby bayfield » Oct 15th, 2009 @ 10:03am

LiQuid wrote:Wow. Legend of the Red Dragon. I used to play LORD, Usurper and Cartel on about a dozen BBS's back in the day.

I was a TW2002 junkie myself. in college we set up TW2002 and LORD doors (forget the BBS software) running on a machine with a fossil driver attaching a telnet port to serial so we could get our ANSI door game fixes.

:ugeek:
"It's a rockstar vatican assassin torpedo of truth sent by a warlock" - KindGalaxy
bayfield

Postby aguynamedjustin » Oct 15th, 2009 @ 10:46am

Bring back Patrick Joynt. He's rad.
aguynamedjustin

Postby LiQuid » Oct 15th, 2009 @ 10:55am

bayfield wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Wow. Legend of the Red Dragon. I used to play LORD, Usurper and Cartel on about a dozen BBS's back in the day.

I was a TW2002 junkie myself. in college we set up TW2002 and LORD doors (forget the BBS software) running on a machine with a fossil driver attaching a telnet port to serial so we could get our ANSI door game fixes.

:ugeek:

Aha! Trade Wars! I'd totally forgotten the name. There were only a few popular BBS's in Milwaukee running it that I knew of, so I didn't play it as much as the others.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 15th, 2009 @ 11:02am

Dammit. I registered for Nuklear LORD and all of the realms are down. The first three need to be reset and the special realm has max players. :(
LiQuid

Postby ArrestedDeveloper » Oct 15th, 2009 @ 1:41pm

I'd give Karen a Phantom Stranger.
ArrestedDeveloper

Postby Karen » Oct 15th, 2009 @ 2:04pm

ArrestedDeveloper wrote:I'd give Karen a Phantom Stranger.

Let's just hope Dry Bones doesn't happen to you.
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI

http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby SJSchmidt93 » Oct 15th, 2009 @ 6:35pm

Hey Fitch....

loosen up.
SJSchmidt93

Postby Uno Ill Nino » Oct 15th, 2009 @ 10:22pm

Could you please put more effort into your show notes? It drives me nuts when it says "Wherein we discuss Tekken 6" and the reality is that you brag about the arcade cabinet Namco sent you, but then move on and fail to actually discuss the game at all.

Otherwise, its a good time. Its just that I keep getting excited about topics that never actually get discussed.
Uno Ill Nino

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 16th, 2009 @ 1:41am

Great podcast, as usual, lacked Mr. Karen Chu but I don't imagine he'll be back soon unfortunately, though it was great to hear the views of Mrs. Patrick Joynt and her reasons for... well, not sure if there is a word for it beyond boycott, but one can hardly boycott a decade old product; you just don't play it... her reasons against Dragon Quest and support the Dragon Quest product line and was in total agreement. Shame really, I was tempted by the last Dragon Quest DS game but now... no... never. Keep it Geeky, as always :ugeek:
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby achickenchaser » Oct 16th, 2009 @ 4:55am

I imagine they'll talk about Tekken 6 more after it's been reviewed. Besides, if you listen to the @1Up podcast, at least one of them isn't exactly a Tekken player.

We wouldn't want anyone using phrases such as "button masher" and claiming 10-strings are useful, now would we? Well, actually, 10-strings are good for something: they're a good way for you to get smacked down and wind up missing half your health against any decent player.

I don't even know if they're still in the game, as I haven't played T6 yet. Namco doesn't love some of us enough to send us a T6 machine :evil:
achickenchaser

Postby shota » Oct 16th, 2009 @ 7:34am

For Karen,

The deal with Koichi Sugiyama is that he is part of the right wing revisionist party in Japan. One of their main platforms is the denial of Japanese war crimes against the Chinese people such as The Massacre of Nanking and Comfort Women. Back in 2007, The US Congress proposed H. Res. 121, which asked the Japanese government to acknowledge the crimes against the Chinese people. Sugiyama is one of the people who signed a document to oppose this and claims none of these events ever happened. Hope this helps.

Link to the document: http://www.jiaponline.org/documents/Jun ... esLIST.pdf
Last edited by shota on Oct 16th, 2009 @ 12:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
shota

Postby bunnyhero » Oct 16th, 2009 @ 7:43am

i haven't finished listening to this episode yet, but i find it hilarious that karen had to stop listening to episode 34 after 20 minutes, too ;)
bunnyhero

Postby LiQuid » Oct 16th, 2009 @ 9:26am

shota wrote:For Karen,

The deal with Koichi Sugiyama is that he is part of the right wing revisionist party in Japan. One of their main platforms is the denile of Japanese war crimes against the Chinese people such as The Massacre of Nanking and Comfort Women. Back in 2007, The US Congress proposed H. Res. 121, which asked the Japanese government to acknowledge the crimes against the Chinese people. Sugiyama is one of the people who signed a document to oppose this and claims none of these events ever happened. Hope this helps.

Link to the document: http://www.jiaponline.org/documents/Jun ... esLIST.pdf

I just have one thing to say to that. Denile is not just a river in Egypt.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Oct 16th, 2009 @ 4:00pm

Jazzy!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby lemon-fresh » Oct 17th, 2009 @ 9:04pm

Anywho, great episode as usual. The levels were a little funky at the beginning but sounded like things worked themselves out by the end.
lemon-fresh

Postby deadairis » Oct 18th, 2009 @ 3:02am

kenzo wrote:The Second Sino-Japanese War was a complicated period of history with disgusting atrocities committed by all sides of the conflict. Japanese revisionism is embarrassing and inexcusable. But at the same time, I am just as annoyed by Chinese politicians who continue to focus on this issue as a way to drum up nationalistic sentiment and distract from domestic issues.

You're "just as" annoyed by people who attempt to wipe atrocities from history's eyes as you are with political manipulation?
Wow. Not even a little bit more annoyed by the people attempting to erase even the mention of these previous horrors?

kenzo wrote:I understand boycotting something because of ideological reasons, but I'm not sure my refusal to purchase this or that is going to do a lot of good. Voting with your dollar isn't the only influence individual people are capable of, and is a very cynical view of how humanity operates. What's needed instead is public discourse and education on the subject, something an individual can accomplish by being vocal about a subject, talking to friends, family, and colleagues, writing to papers and congressmen, etc. If you simply refuse to buy something, you're just a meaningless statistic. The company and parties responsible don't know you exist, let alone the reason why you don't give them your money.

That bolded part is where you're off base. I don't disagree with the idea of educating other consumers, but sales are an incredibly meaningful statistic. They're the meaningful statistic, for a business.
deadairis
The Reimpaler

Postby DerBonk » Oct 18th, 2009 @ 3:43am

Honestly, the whole thing about the DQ composer made me think about some things. It made me realize that I, as a German, could never buy anything a Neo-Nazi or a Holocaust denier made or participated in making. I have seen the remains of the horrors of WWII, the fingernail scratches on the ceiling of the gas chambers, the black ovens and the bullet holes in the execution wall. I have talked to the (now) old ladies that were raped by German soldiers, just as I talked to my Grandpa who was forced to fight Russian tanks with his bare hands and nearly died on the Eastern front. Anybody denying anything like that ever happened does not deserve my money or my respect.

On a side note, I feel the whole Obama=Hitler comparisons I saw some people make at the health care demonstrations were really, really offensive.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby kenzo » Oct 18th, 2009 @ 1:59pm

Jazzy!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 19th, 2009 @ 11:17am

Karen made very good points about boycotting that made me rethink my position. Before listening to this podcast, I thought it was really stupid to boycott a game just because you were offended by the views of someone hired to do some part of the game. She made a very reasonable argument, free off the hyperbole I've mostly seen on the subject.

Now that I think about it, I'm also involved in a unpopular 'boycott'. As a Christian, I 'boycott' most popular holidays because of their pagan origins. I also don't believe the Catholic church (or any church or clergy class) has the authority to sanctify these holidays. I bring this up because on the radio someone brought up the Halloween discussion and made the ignorant remark that people who don't participate don't like fun or hate children. It made me think of this podcast and how I used to think that people boycotting Shadow Complex were morons.
slinkdickens

Postby Hellsfire » Oct 19th, 2009 @ 12:59pm

slinkdickens wrote:
Now that I think about it, I'm also involved in a unpopular 'boycott'. As a Christian, I 'boycott' most popular holidays because of their pagan origins. I also don't believe the Catholic church (or any church or clergy class) has the authority to sanctify these holidays. I bring this up because on the radio someone brought up the Halloween discussion and made the ignorant remark that people who don't participate don't like fun or hate children. It made me think of this podcast and how I used to think that people boycotting Shadow Complex were morons.

Modern holidays have little to do with their origins or religions these days so I don't get what the point of boycotting would be. Do you also believe in Jesus's origins because they stole that whole resurrection, virgin birth, miracle thing also? You might want to boycott that because all those ideas came from preexisting religions. Humans steal existing ideas. That's just the way we are.

I'm going to boycott Geekbox whenever they talk about some lame ass show like Lost, Burn Notice or Firefly.
Hellsfire

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 19th, 2009 @ 1:43pm

Hellsfire wrote:
slinkdickens wrote:

Modern holidays have little to do with their origins or religions these days so I don't get what the point of boycotting would be. Do you also believe in Jesus's origins because they stole that whole resurrection, virgin birth, miracle thing also? You might want to boycott that because all those ideas came from preexisting religions. Humans steal existing ideas. That's just the way we are.

I'm going to boycott Geekbox whenever they talk about some lame ass show like Lost, Burn Notice or Firefly.

You're making my point. I also don't think that Orson Scott Card has very little to do with Shadow Complex, for example, but I can empathize with someone who feels strongly enough about not wanting ANYTHING to do with someone like Orson Scott Card that he/she will not have anything to do with whatever Orson Scott Card is involved in, no matter how small his contribution is.

Similarly, I know that people aren't celebrating Christmas (I'm using Christmas as just one example here) to worship the rebirth of the Sun, but I also know that this is the origin of that celebration. I can't participate in good conscience knowing what the origin is.
slinkdickens

Postby Karen » Oct 19th, 2009 @ 2:23pm

Again, I don't think individual choice on this boycott matter is rational or logical at all. Boycotting something for personal reasons is based more on emotional reasons. But I really don't think these people (me included) want to make other people want to follow the same suite. It's not like I'm trying to get Ryan Higgins or Fitch to boycott with me or anything.

I personally will not support anything that Michael Vick does and would personally like to see him banned from the NFL. And I'm making this statement with bias because I really care about dogs and pit bulls and actually own a pit bull who used to be physically abused. Does that mean I have beef with Eagles fans? Nope. Does that mean I think Michael Vick is a crappy football player? Nope, in fact, he's an awesome one.

Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 19th, 2009 @ 2:36pm

Karen wrote:Again, I don't think individual choice on this boycott matter is rational or logical at all. Boycotting something for personal reasons is based more on emotional reasons. But I really don't think these people (me included) want to make other people want to follow the same suite. It's not like I'm trying to get Ryan Higgins or Fitch to boycott with me or anything.

I personally will not support anything that Michael Vick does and would personally like to see him banned from the NFL. And I'm making this statement with bias because I really care about dogs and pit bulls and actually own a pit bull who used to be physically abused. Does that mean I have beef with Eagles fans? Nope. Does that mean I think Michael Vick is a crappy football player? Nope, in fact, he's an awesome one.

Michael Vick brings up an interesting side-point. Prison is a form of punishment that is also intended to reform criminals. As far as I know, Michael Vick has apologized for his actions and has paid his debt to society. So, if you decide not to support anything he does for his past actions rather than his present actions, does that mean you feel he is irredeemable? Is it fair to hold someone accountable indefinitely for crimes, even if that individual is reformed?

In contrast to Michael Vick, let me bring up O.J. Simpson. He's never admitted to the murders he committed and even tried to make money off them by publishing a book.
slinkdickens

Postby lemon-fresh » Oct 19th, 2009 @ 2:48pm

slinkdickens wrote:
Karen wrote:Again, I don't think individual choice on this boycott matter is rational or logical at all. Boycotting something for personal reasons is based more on emotional reasons. But I really don't think these people (me included) want to make other people want to follow the same suite. It's not like I'm trying to get Ryan Higgins or Fitch to boycott with me or anything.

Michael Vick brings up an interesting side-point. Prison is a form of punishment that is also intended to reform criminals. As far as I know, Michael Vick has apologized for his actions and has paid his debt to society. So, if you decide not to support anything he does for his past actions rather than his present actions, does that mean you feel he is irredeemable? Is it fair to hold someone accountable indefinitely for crimes, even if that individual is reformed?

Well this just got more interesting, now you're getting into stigmatization vs reintegrative shaming. Congrats, I certainly hadn't thought to make the connection.
lemon-fresh

Postby LiQuid » Oct 19th, 2009 @ 3:00pm

This is why it pays to be an atheist with loose morals. I get enjoy all the shit you uptight prudes don't, just cause Jesus thinks it's naughty. :D
LiQuid

Postby Karen » Oct 19th, 2009 @ 3:05pm

slinkdickens wrote:

I think it's great if he is officially noted as "reformed." Still doesn't mean I like what he did. Does that mean I'm a bad, petty person who's unwilling to forgive? Sure, I'm willing to take that moniker. Again, my decisions are not based on fair or rational reasoning.

Karen
White Dudes Only

Next
Forum Statistics