Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 37

Postby Rydog » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 12:59am

Sorry for the lateness -- I had something more pressing to say yesterday, and my podcast host's FTP has been acting up tonight. But it's here -- so give it a listen!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 37

Postby W0lfbl1tzers » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 1:03am

Hells Yeah!
W0lfbl1tzers

Postby LiQuid » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 1:58am

Sorry to hear about your friend, Ryan. Last September my best friend since kindergarten's little sister got struck and killed by a drunk driver just seconds after I hugged her goodbye. I was absolutely devastated for a good long while afterwords. Death is a tough thing to deal with, but it just seems so much more senseless and horrible when it happens to someone that should have had a good deal of their life ahead of them.
LiQuid

Postby I love Fitch » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 4:18am

Very good podcast! And the point of the mighty boosh is that you dont get it because its absolutely loco!
Gamertag: Mak3TeaNotWar

14. English. Taller than Fitch. Employed. Bored out of my skull.
I love Fitch

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 10:23am

Night of the Creeps is awesome, there really arn't enough horror comedies.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Ninjabear » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 12:08pm

Ryan, for your information, I have beaten the speeder bike level in Battletoads.

After that there is an ice level, surf board riding level, and a level where you have to ride on snakes (seriously, I'm not joking). Then there is a level where your riding in a mini-jetplane, which is where I always die.
Ninjabear

Postby Cris » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 2:33pm

I'm the same way as Ryan's friend when it comes to RPGs. I am always underleveled because I refuse to grind in an RPG.

I don't think Vivi died young like Ryan said. From wikipedia:

The truth is revealed to him by Kuja and the Black Mages in the Black Mage Village later on in the game. He learns that most Black Mages "stop" after one year, equivalent to death in humans.[7] A conversation with the Black Mage leader suggests that Vivi was the black mage prototype built to "last longer."
Cris

Postby darfox8 » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 3:02pm

I haven't played FF9 in a while and I'm not going to read up on it but when I played the game it seemed obvious to me that Vivi died. I did think that each character was giving their goodbyes during that final segment(which apparently isn't the case) so maybe I should re-watch the ending atleast. To see if it makes sense to me that Vivi is in fact the one speaking.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 4:42pm

Jazzy!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby Callan » Oct 31st, 2009 @ 12:01am

"I need to have some standard outro thats like "[pew pew pew] THE GEEKBOX" in some deep voice."

Here you go: http://drop.io/5wwi6gv/asset/geekboxoutrofinal-wav

I don't have a decent enough microphone to record a voice, but I did get a robotic voice.
Sent from my TI-83.
Callan

Postby astoriasky » Oct 31st, 2009 @ 2:49pm

Whoa! Finally someone else who played Battle City!! It was one of my favorite games growing up, but i played the Gameboy version...and yea, i was living at the Philippines then so maybe it is an asia only game (even though it was fully in English)...it makes sense now because when i got here in the US, I tried looking for a copy but couldn't find it...

ahh good game...
astoriasky

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 1st, 2009 @ 9:47am

Great show as always!

-Fitch, kissing on a first date does not negatively reflect on the character of the girl. It's all a matter of the chemistry of the two people involved. I've had the entire spectrum of date night endings (a handshake, a hug, a kiss on the cheek, a kiss goodnight, even spending the night). And in every case, how it ended felt like an appropriate conclusion to the evening's events. You really need to pay attention to the ebb and flow of your dates and not follow a rigid set of rules on each date. One woman may want just dinner, another might want to just kiss for a while. Each woman is different and every date will be different. But who am I to comment? You are, after all, the TRUE pick-up artist.

-Cougars are awesome. They know what they want, and how to get it. Just beware of the claws.

-Excitebike is aite, I guess. Kinda repetitive. Hey Ryan Scott, would this be considered a double-dip? Does it justify its existence?

-BattleToads for the NES truly was a punishingly hard game. But contrary to Mr. Scott's insane rantings, there WERE actually levels beyond the third speederbike level. I know this because I had to use a Game Genie to reach them!

-SMB3 is as close to platforming game perfection as one can get. That game deserves a 3D update, complete with Hammer Bros. Suit and Raccoon Tails!

-Slither was an AWESOME movie. Not only did it star Nathan Fillion, it had Elizabeth Banks right before she hit it really big.

"I think there's something wrong with meeeee!!!!"

-The new Nightmare on Elm Street will come out in April 2010. Most of it was shot in my area (Gary, IN and high schools in the Chicago suburbs). I look forward to being a self-imposed insomniac once again! o_O

-Master Higgins, the odds are stacked against the "Green Lantern" being good. Not that I don't want it to be.

-Did any of you catch the episode of ABC's "Castle," where Nathan Fillion made a huge Firefly reference by dressing up like Malcom Reynolds and claims to be a space cowboy? Super awesome +10.

-Venture Bros. is awesome. Too bad I missed almost all of Season Three and all of this season. Somebody hook me up with some DVDs!

-Glee is hands down the best new show of the 09 Fall Season. The best writing, the best music, and Jenna Ushkowitz. Hat Trick!

-Wizard is ass. Ever since they changed from traditional magazine to a larger Rolling Stone-esqe size, they've become less relevant to comics and more diluted in pop culture. They try so hard to be hip and mainstream, they're losing their core audience of comic book readers. I remember reading great articles about Michael Turner's fight against cancer and sneak peaks at upcoming writer/artist duo projects. Now it's just lame-ass top whatever number lists month after month. My local shop has decided to discontinue carrying it. Can you imagine? A comic book shop that no longer carries Wizard? It's just sad.

Looks like this Halloween contest has only three entries, so I've got a 1 in 3 chance of winning!
Last edited by jinpei05 on Nov 1st, 2009 @ 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby GiantAsianMan » Nov 1st, 2009 @ 10:25am

jinpei05 wrote:-Did any of you catch the episode of ABC's "Castle," where Nathan Fillion made a huge Firefly reference by dressing up like Malcom Reynolds and claims to be a space cowboy? Super awesome +10.

I highly recommend this clip for Firefly fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8AYcMAngU

"Didn't you wear that, like, five years ago?"
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby kenzo » Nov 1st, 2009 @ 11:21am

Jazzy!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 1st, 2009 @ 11:26am

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:-Glee is hands down the best new show of the 09 Fall Season. The best writing, the best music, and Jenna Uskowitz. Hat Trick!

False. You need to watch some Community. Way better show. By leaps and bounds.

I have watched Community. And while it is pretty good, it doesn't have awesome renditions of "Somebody To Love" or "Don't Stop Believing" or cameos from Kristen Chenowith. So I'm afraid it loses by default. Sorry, kenzo.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby W0lfbl1tzers » Nov 1st, 2009 @ 11:55am

I petition for more Brock! Who will join me?
W0lfbl1tzers

Postby kenzo » Nov 1st, 2009 @ 1:21pm

Jazzy!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 1st, 2009 @ 1:56pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:I have watched Community. And while it is pretty good, it doesn't have awesome renditions of "Somebody To Love" or "Don't Stop Believing" or cameos from Kristen Chenowith. So I'm afraid it loses by default. Sorry, kenzo.

Community doesn't have over-produced, lip-synced, shitty musical rendition of pop songs? How is that a minus??

Community has Abed as Batman, and Chevy Chase on a bad trip. Clear winner right here.

Community doesn't have awesome choreographed numbers and songs that are actually sung by the cast, despite their production values and lip-syncing because of the dancing. So, again, Community falls short.

And Community doesn't have the benefit of excellent writing from Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, and Ian Brennan, resulting in excellent comedic timing, sharp dialogue, and a storyline you can really sink your teeth into.

Plus, Jayma Mays puts Glee over the top. So super cute is she!

And while Abed as Batman was comedy gold, Chevy Chase hasn't been legitimately funny since his "Fletch" days. Sad, but true.

Sorry. You lose again.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Albrexor » Nov 1st, 2009 @ 4:58pm

I had battle city on the original Gameboy. It was on a cartridge that I got in Taiwan which had like 8 different games on it. There was a rubber button on the back top of the cartridge that when pushed switched it to the next game.

I also got 2 similar games compilations from Taiwan for the NES, one had like 12 games, but had selectable cheats for the games. Such as Contra starting with the spread gun, or the laser gun were selectable as different games on the menu list. The other cartridge was insane and had about 800 choices, maybe 30 actual different games. Some had every different level selectable, in a age of games with x99 levels the menus was pretty crazy. It is note saying that almost all the games were in English and were fairly popular ones like iceclimber, bubble bubble, joust, balloon fight, and tons and tons of top down shooters. Also i recall that these games were "sega sized", 1/2 NES size, cartridges that needed this 2nd piece to allow them to fit in the NES. Maybe Karen came across and knows what I am talking about, I think I got them around 1993 or something on a family vacation to Taiwan.
-Cheers
My little podcast http://nerdoptimal.com
Albrexor

Postby Natto » Nov 1st, 2009 @ 10:13pm

I played Battle City! It was on one of those 100 games in one cartridge or whatever from Hong Kong. I barely remember it because I was probably five or six at the time, but my friend and I had a blast making maps and all that jazz.
I like to draw stuff.
Natto

Postby Roadie Brock » Nov 2nd, 2009 @ 12:22pm

Had a blast on the podcast. And yes, I finally signed up here at the Geek Box Discussion Forums. Thank you for listening in. 8-)
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 2nd, 2009 @ 12:51pm

Roadie Brock wrote:Had a blast on the podcast. And yes, I finally signed up here at the Geek Box Discussion Forums. Thank you for listening in. 8-)

You made an interesting addition to the crew, to say the least. :D
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby W0lfbl1tzers » Nov 2nd, 2009 @ 9:20pm

Roadie Brock wrote:Had a blast on the podcast. And yes, I finally signed up here at the Geek Box Discussion Forums. Thank you for listening in. 8-)

Come back every week, please! It makes an already interesting podcast 15x more interesting. Roadie Brock is the Man!
W0lfbl1tzers

Postby kenzo » Nov 3rd, 2009 @ 12:46am

Jazzy!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby G-Nitro » Nov 3rd, 2009 @ 5:08am

Have to chime in with another approval of Roadie Brock. Should become a staple member of the podcast!
G-Nitro

Postby darfox8 » Nov 3rd, 2009 @ 7:16am

Brock is the small pox of podcast! I bet he beats his stripper wife!

Naw, just kidding he's alright. Except for his stupid face! Brock Samson Pics please!
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby ChronicStupidity » Nov 3rd, 2009 @ 11:43am

@ Karen. Haha, YES BATTLE CITY!!! Definitely played it on one of those 500 in 1 NES cartridges when I was a kid. Probably got it from Chinatown or when relatives visited from Hong Kong bringing gifts.... totally legal.
ChronicStupidity

Postby kwoktalk » Nov 3rd, 2009 @ 12:23pm

Brock was a great guest. Hope to see him on more.
kwoktalk

Postby JEKKI » Nov 3rd, 2009 @ 3:21pm

lol Ryan Scott! Battletoads is awesome!!

it's a shame that hella ppl give up on stage 3 coz if u seen the rest of the game your mind would be blown!!!

seriously, level 3 is a joke compared to how hard some of the further stages get.

one stage has you on a unicycle thing riding against a wall, being chased by this orb thing, and you can only travel at a high velocity if you hold the direction you are moving in. What makes the stage hard is precisely switching your directional input at the corners, otherwise you'll lose some time and the orb will catch up to you and kill you.

anyway, if u beat that stage u get to beat the shyt out of that orb!! it feels SO GOOD since that thing pretty much killed you like 9000 times.

also... play Contra 4!! the game is amazing!! huge bosses, awesome stage design, it's prolly the best Contra I think... I would hafta go back and compare to other contra games, but I think the way C4 takes the Contra formula and basically steps it up is downright incredible and genius.
JEKKI

Postby namre » Nov 9th, 2009 @ 3:44am

I am one of those fans who seldom visits the forums and rarely leaves a comment. I love the podcast, but I prefer to just listen instead of mingling in forums. Yeah, sad, I know.

But when I listened to this episode and heard that Karen played Battle City and asked that if there are other people who have played it, I immediately logged in to the forums to leave a reply.

So yeah, I played Battle City too!

Just want to share that one good way of ensuring that you wont lose is to use the level editor and surround your eagle with the white impenetrable wall. This way your enemies can never get to your eagle. Lol.

Contra was great too. There's this one weapon that I really love there that I couldn't remember. Was there a weapon that throws a swirling fireball?

Oh, and also the ExciteBike game! That was pure awesome back when I was a kid. Hehe.

... Hey, look! I left a comment! I should do this more often.
=====
One often meets his destiny on the road he chooses to avoid it.
namre

Forum Statistics