Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: New to the Geekbox forums? Introduce yourself!

Postby MegabusterLegends3 » Jan 2nd, 2012 @ 11:22pm

LiQuid wrote:Dang bro, I think you have the most chat/instant message icons under your name out of everybody here. Way to go!

Heh .... something tells me you didn't actually read my profile....
Yoshi rules all. I will shoot all who argue otherwise.
MegabusterLegends3

Postby LiQuid » Jan 2nd, 2012 @ 11:27pm

No, we don't do that here.
LiQuid

Postby IRL_Troll » Jan 4th, 2012 @ 6:50pm

MegabusterLegends3 wrote:I LOVE TF2!
Actually, I don't, but Steam is great!
....I'm still a Nintendo fanboy though, and I always will be! TAKE THAT, SUCKAHS!
Now excuse me while I bite the head off of this Luigi fruit snack.

I am a huge Nintendo fanboy as well. Since my xbox redringed, it's just my Wii and laptop, but as of late, since I only revisited it for Skyward Sword and Brawl, Laptop wins out waaaay more
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby Pandareus » Jan 17th, 2012 @ 8:27am

Heh, maybe I should have started here.

So I'm a geek.

As far as video games go, I'm pretty much what you'd call a Nintendo fanboy. I still play the Wii regularly to this day, and mostly for the platformers and the more obscure games (I'm a wiiware junkie, or was, back when that was a thing). Perhaps I'm not a conventional fanboy as I don't care that much for Zelda (I stopped playing SS in the middle of the 3rd dungeon) and my GOTY would be Kirby. Heh.

I've really been on a 2D kick in recent years, and Nintendo has provided in that regard. I also have a PS3 and PSN has been a disappointment there for the most part. The sidescrollers they do have, like Sideways, just aren't that good... I envy 360 owners for XBLA, though less so now that Limbo has been ported. And don't get me wrong, I still like PSN enough. PSN+ has been a great way to sample tons of games, and I don't mind they're not mine forever. I get stuff for "free" like Back to the Future which I will never replay anyway, so it's perfect.

I'm a bit of a retro gamer too. I've never owned an NES, so going back and finally beating classics (or just plain old games) like StarTropics, Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden in the last year has been a blast.

I am a little reticent to talk about video games on multi-console message boards because of how terrible the IGN forums were. Having the same arguments over and over again, and still dealing with complaints about the GCN being kiddy or the Wii having poor graphical quality years into the consoles' lifespan when any regular person would have moved on already wasn't very fun. The console wars, blech. I pretty much post exclusively on a Nintendo board with life-minded-enough people with whom I still find plenty to disagree about and argue with.

I pretty much got through Doctor Who's recent seasons in the last few months, after the last season (that I haven't seen) ended. I'm as current on it as Netflix is. That goes for pretty much any show, as I never bothered to hook up a cable or antenna on my TV, and I don't pirate in general.

There's just something about British sci-fi that I love. They're pretty good at picturing authoritarian regimes and dystopian futures, and still have lots of humor about it. I guess it's not surprising I'm into Warren Ellis's stuff...

I'm not into comic books much, but a few years ago I went through a phase and read through Sandman, Swap Thing, Watchmen, Transmetropolitan, Planetary... that kind of stuff. Then I didn't really know where to go from there so I stopped. I refuse to start reading a story without a definite end, so I have no interest in The Walking Dead. I gave Fables a shot and didn't really see the point, it seemed gratuitously violent and crass.

Going back to sci-fi or fantasy shows, I also currently enjoy Being Human well enough. Loved Buffy, Angel and Firefly years ago... I can't seem to get into "people in a ship in space" very easily, Firefly was the exception. I tried Farscape which was promising until the second season where they all started liking and trusting each other, and concerned about doing the right thing. I stopped watching.

Star Trek I could perhaps one day get into, but I keep falling asleep trying to watch old TOS episodes, and I want to finish those before moving on.

Alright: games, TV, comics... I think that covers it.

Oh yeah, and last year I had the opportunity of going to E3 where I met Fitch and in the next podcast I had the privilege of hearing his take on my French Canadian accent, haha.
For a higher level of discussion about all things Nintendo: Radio Free Nintendo
Pandareus

Postby Creep » Jan 17th, 2012 @ 3:34pm

I just got cloned again. My name is Creep. Nice to meet you.
Creep

Postby kenzo » Jan 17th, 2012 @ 11:20pm

These days, PSN gets the vast majority of what XBLA gets. And there's an ass-load of side-scrolling platformers on there. I was just playing a game called "Rochard" the other day that's petty decent. And a classic that comes off the top of my head: Pixel Junk Eden, is the tits.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 17th, 2012 @ 11:38pm

Shadow Complex is better than every PSN exclusive combined. Prove me wrong.
LiQuid

Postby Pandareus » Jan 18th, 2012 @ 1:02am

Rochard is pretty good, true. I should finish it. I'm no fan of Eden but Shooter and Sidescroller are great. I don't know if I'd say PSN has plenty of platformers though, at least not great ones. But maybe I'm setting them up for failure by comparing them to what Nintendo would make.
Pandareus

Postby Konanda » Jan 18th, 2012 @ 11:06pm

Pandareus wrote:Oh yeah, and last year I had the opportunity of going to E3 where I met Fitch and in the next podcast I had the privilege of hearing his take on my French Canadian accent, haha.

Acadian, Ontarois, Métis, Québécois?
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Pandareus » Jan 19th, 2012 @ 7:41am

Ontarois, haha, I had never heard that one.

I'm Québécois, currently in Montréal but from a small town.
Pandareus

Postby Konanda » Jan 19th, 2012 @ 3:56pm

Pandareus wrote:Ontarois, haha, I had never heard that one.

I'm Québécois, currently in Montréal but from a small town.

Go far enough north in Ontario and you find a lot of First Nations languages or French that is kind of like Québécois but distinct as it's own. Hell I know some people up by North Bay who went to a francophone public school up there. Although like most schools at least in Ontario, Parisian French is taught to the students.

Basically Ottawa is kind of the boundry, which has a good variety of anglophones and francophones (more the former than latter) and past that the further northwest the more prevalent francophones become.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Pandareus » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 6:04am

Apparently I made an error when I introduced myself as a Nintendo fanboy, here. Let's say instead that I'm a gamer with big love for the big N. Their games and their game design philosophy in general seem to cater to my tastes best. I'm very knowledgeable about the company and its games. But that's all I meant by fanboy. I don't diss Sony or MS games I haven't played, I don't diss their fans, and I don't love absolutely everything Nintendo does. I might be more willing to cope with, say, friend codes, than other gamers because of the games, but that doesn't mean I'll defend them as the best solution ever.
Pandareus

Postby kenzo » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 6:12am

I don't think anyone particularly cares if you are or are not a Nintendo fanboy. Everyone here is a fanboy of something or another. And at least wearing that on your sleeves is more honest than pretending to be non-biased and having a complete perspective when you actually aren't/don't. As long as you're honest about your perspective, and open minded about others, that's what matters. And for every person like me or LiQuid who thinks you're silly, there are guys like IRL_Troll and Master Higgins who totally dig where you're coming from.
kenzo

Postby Pandareus » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 6:28am

You and L-Liquid think I'm silly!? :(
Pandareus

Postby LiQuid » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 6:29am

Yeah you don't have to apologize for liking what you like dude. Nobody legit gives a shit. Generally speaking the vast majority of nerds like shit that I find repulsive. I don't think you're silly for liking Nintendo. I think Nintendo is silly for making the same baby games every year and generally sucking at everything except making money (pre-2011).
LiQuid

Postby Pandareus » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 7:37am

It's cool, I was just shocked to see that the term "Nintendo fanboy" completely obscured the rest of my description as a gamer. I didn't think I had pigeonholed myself but apparently I had.
Pandareus

Postby LiQuid » Jan 20th, 2012 @ 8:18am

To be fair, Nintendo doesn't make video games anymore. Liking Nintendo and liking video games are hobbies that can be enjoyed completely independently of one another.
LiQuid

Postby FullOnDeadsies » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 3:12am

Hi I'm new.
Been listening to The Geekbox for over a year, same with the Debriefings/ComedyButton.

Will we ever see Anthony Gallegos on the Geekbox? It seems Star Wars tattoos qualify him for that.

Fitch rules.
FullOnDeadsies

Postby kenzo » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 5:42am

FullOnDeadsies wrote:Hi I'm new.
HI!!!

FullOnDeadsies wrote:Will we ever see Anthony Gallegos on the Geekbox?
Nope.

FullOnDeadsies wrote:Fitch rules.
YES!!!!!!!!
kenzo

Postby ribkicker4 » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 7:37pm

FullOnDeadsies wrote:Hi I'm new.
Been listening to The Geekbox for over a year, same with the Debriefings/ComedyButton.

Will we ever see Anthony Gallegos on the Geekbox? It seems Star Wars tattoos qualify him for that.

Fitch rules.

He has been on the Geekbox before.

And hi.
ribkicker4

Postby Olympia » Feb 9th, 2012 @ 8:02am

Ill reintroduce myself now that I'm sober.

I'm Olympia. I'm 23 and I like Comics, MMA and art. I'm studying illustration.

:)
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby LiQuid » Feb 9th, 2012 @ 8:19am

Olympia wrote:Ill reintroduce myself now that I'm sober.

I'm Olympia. I'm 23 and I like Comics, MMA and art. I'm studying illustration.

:)

You any good? I've got ideas for comic books and I need an artist buddy to help bring them to fruition so I can get rich.
LiQuid

Postby Olympia » Feb 9th, 2012 @ 8:26am

I'm okay. I have some range. I don't have a portfolio site yet but I frequent another forum where I post sketches.

http://apedogs.com/search.php?author_id=1033&sr=posts

I'm kind of booked up until next month though. And I'd have to read a script first. I'm considering taking Frank Santoro's comics correspondence course.
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby LiQuid » Feb 9th, 2012 @ 8:56am

You're much better than I need. I'm all outlines and notes at this point. You do any big, beefy, Hulk-like, creatures? What about a more Cho-Aniki, adonis style muscle men?

Another more grounded idea I have has to do with a real seedy, decayed urban setting. Would need much more nuanced, distinctive character work and lots of emphasis on outfits ranging from homeless bums up to dapper socialites.
LiQuid

Postby Olympia » Feb 9th, 2012 @ 9:02am

LiQuid wrote:You're much better than I need. I'm all outlines and notes at this point. You do any big, beefy, Hulk-like, creatures? What about a more Cho-Aniki, adonis style muscle men?

Another more grounded idea I have has to do with a real seedy, decayed urban setting. Would need much more nuanced, distinctive character work and lots of emphasis on outfits ranging from homeless bums up to dapper socialites.

I wanted to draw superhero comics for a long time and I watch UFC. I can draw buff dudes with my eyes closed

I can draw whatever
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby wtfpeople » Mar 12th, 2012 @ 6:21pm

Olympia you are definitely on your way to doing some great work. The toughest human body parts tend to be hands and feet. You seem to have a very good grasp on drawing human anatomy well.
wtfpeople

Postby Dr Otacon » Mar 19th, 2012 @ 6:35pm

Hello all, I'm new around these parts; both to the website and the Podcasts. I happened upon The Comedy Button while looking for a Podcast to listen to on Itunes about a month ago and have been enjoying the hell out of it. I'm 23 years old and a college graduate with a Bachelor's in History and I'm working my way through to become certified as a teacher. I've been into videogames since I was about 5 years old and comics since about 10. My favorite games to play are Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy (I'll play almost any RPG really), and my favorite kinds of books to read are fantasy and historical texts. I've got a full scale plan to survive the Zombie Apocalypse and collect different kinds of bladed weapons. I hope to have a good time here, so howdy.
“The one thing you must never let yourself forget: The story is always on the street.”
Spider Jerusalem
Dr Otacon

Postby kenzo » Mar 19th, 2012 @ 7:18pm

Hi, sir! Welcome! You sound like you belong around here.

I was totally with you on just about every page until you said, "I've got a full scale plan to survive the Zombie Apocalypse." :lol:
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 19th, 2012 @ 7:24pm

I thought he was "Dr. Octagon" which would have made him cooler.
LiQuid

Postby Dr Otacon » Mar 19th, 2012 @ 7:32pm

kenzo wrote:Hi, sir! Welcome! You sound like you belong around here.

I was totally with you on just about every page until you said, "I've got a full scale plan to survive the Zombie Apocalypse." :lol:

:lol: One of my friends had an even more in depth plan than me. I live in the Hill County of San Antonio, so really my survival plan involves raiding people's houses and staying in my mountain retreat and becoming a hermit.
“The one thing you must never let yourself forget: The story is always on the street.”
Spider Jerusalem
Dr Otacon

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics