Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 47

Postby Rydog » Jan 8th, 2010 @ 7:41pm

We kick 2010 off with our first podcast of the year, in true late Ryan Scott fashion. Enjoy. :)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 47

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 8th, 2010 @ 7:43pm

Finally.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 8th, 2010 @ 7:57pm

It's almost two-thousand-fucking-eleven already... What gives?
LiQuid

Postby Atomsmasher » Jan 8th, 2010 @ 8:03pm

Damn it! I just burned my weekly car ride podcast CD an hour ago!
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher

Postby BreakingAtoms85 » Jan 8th, 2010 @ 8:08pm

Ode to effing joy!
BreakingAtoms85

Postby LiQuid » Jan 8th, 2010 @ 8:09pm

You burn CD's? You know iPods have existed for a couple of years... Even if you're broke or don't like being trendy you can get a knock off, and those play music data just as well, for the most part...
LiQuid

Postby Atomsmasher » Jan 8th, 2010 @ 8:22pm

I like living in the stone age and I haven't seen any good enough deals on decent MP3 players to make me really want to buy one. I had some cheap POS one for a while and it died in about 3 months.
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher

Postby darfox8 » Jan 8th, 2010 @ 8:24pm

Before I tell you all what I think about Ryan posting this podcast so late I have to make something clear. I have an extremely I high standard for listening to podcast for fun. So... there is no reason for a podcast to have me wait extra hours for me to listen to it. There's is no reason.

Naw just kidding... excited to hear it.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 8th, 2010 @ 9:30pm

Awesome! A insano Ryan Scott hate rant on Mark Millar! Haven't heard one since the 11/01/07 edition of GFW Radio!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby die-die » Jan 9th, 2010 @ 12:29am

Get well soon Karen :(

But on the plus side, no Jade Kraus!
die-die

Postby Callan » Jan 9th, 2010 @ 2:10am

Excuse the language I'm going to use in this post, but SUPERMAN 64 WAS A SHIT LOAD OF FUCK.
Sent from my TI-83.
Callan

Postby achickenchaser » Jan 9th, 2010 @ 4:56am

I've already convinced myself the ending for Lost is gonna suck. That way when I do actually see the last few episodes, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
achickenchaser

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jan 9th, 2010 @ 7:53am

Ryan Scott mentions it on the podcast, and it appears!- the A-Team trailer!

As to be expected, EW's Doc Jensen has a wildly in-depth analysis (if you can call it that) of the Lost Last Supper picture.

And re:Desmond (using the spoiler tag, just in case)-
Spoiler: show
Henry Ian Cusick isn't a series regular for Season 6, but he will appear in some capacity. Here's what E!'s Kristin Dos Santos says about it.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby AdamGS » Jan 10th, 2010 @ 2:38am

Not enough hate for Zelda: Spirit Tracks for my liking. The worst Zelda since Phantom Hourglass. Why can't Nintendo just make a handheld Zelda without forcing the shitty controls down our throats?
Gamestyle - Our Word. Your Guide | Twitter |
Xbox Live - Adam1986 | PSN - MyNameIsAdam
AdamGS

Postby I love Fitch » Jan 11th, 2010 @ 12:46am

die-die wrote:Get well soon Karen :(

But on the plus side, no Jade Kraus!

Yeah we want karen back! And I hope Mr.Fitch gets better as well.

Also quit hating on Jade she's not that bad =( I agree Justin Haywald does sound like Kryten! Red Dwarf is great ,quite a bit of good british humor in there
Gamertag: Mak3TeaNotWar

14. English. Taller than Fitch. Employed. Bored out of my skull.
I love Fitch

Postby die-die » Jan 11th, 2010 @ 1:34am

I love Fitch wrote:Also quit hating on Jade she's not that bad

No.

However I will stop if she gets into a horrible accident that renders her unable to speak. Deal?
die-die

Postby achickenchaser » Jan 11th, 2010 @ 7:28am

die-die wrote:

No.

However I will stop if she gets into a horrible accident that renders her unable to speak. Deal?

What a piece of shit.
achickenchaser

Postby icaroz » Jan 11th, 2010 @ 9:27am

About what Ryan talked about detective mode in Batman AA... this looks like a small trend going around right now.. the veil mode in Wolfenstein, eagle vision in Assassin's Creed 2, the PKE meter in Ghostbusters.. this is only from the games I've played recently.

I just wish there would be a smarter mechanic that wouldn't make me miss out on the original level design, instead I end up playing through a large part of the game in some sort of (insert your favourite meh colour) haze.
Swedish chef
icaroz

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 11th, 2010 @ 12:01pm

Good episode.

Since Higgins has a PS3 now and likes comics, you'd think he'd want to play inFamous. If Batman AA is the best comic game ever then inFamous is the 2nd best.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Konanda » Jan 11th, 2010 @ 1:52pm

die-die wrote:

No.

Wow, that's uncalled for man. I mean she said some pretty dumb and downright wrong stuff about Silent Hill:Shattered Memories in a couple cases during episode 43 but for the most part she's alright. Anyway saying something like that about anyone is just really immature man.

Anyway I hope Karen gets better soon.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 11th, 2010 @ 2:04pm

Let's keep the bodily injury talk to a minimum.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LeeKnows » Jan 11th, 2010 @ 3:29pm

Mr_eX wrote:Good episode.

Since Higgins has a PS3 now and likes comics, you'd think he'd want to play inFamous. If Batman AA is the best comic game ever then inFamous is the 2nd best.

Haven't played Batman AA yet, wasn't even thinking about it but if its better than Infamous I'm off to Goozex to request it!
LeeKnows

Postby die-die » Jan 11th, 2010 @ 4:13pm

Konanda wrote:
die-die wrote:

No.

Wow, that's uncalled for man. I mean she said some pretty dumb and downright wrong stuff about Silent Hill:Shattered Memories in a couple cases during episode 43 but for the most part she's alright. Anyway saying something like that about anyone is just really immature man.

It wasn't the content of her speech but her speech itself. Her voice sounds like there are a billion chandeliers smashing in my head. I had to check after that episode that she hadn't caused GBH of the ear on myself.

But, you're right, wishing a horrible, voice-destroying accident on someone is immature, and for that I am sorry.

Spoiler: show
I'll settle for a horrible disease. Okay?
die-die

Postby sigh_its » Jan 11th, 2010 @ 8:02pm

One of the things that came up on the podcast this week that got me thinking was the idea of needing to have resolution at the end of Lost and more importantly that the resolution should be clear, absolute and understandable in order to appease the fan base....so anyway this got me to thinking about long running/popular TV shows and films that have been seen as letting down their audience by failing to provide that clean cut at the end.

Poorly received endings I could come up with were...
Seinfield
St Elsewhere
Twin Peaks
Sopranos
Admittedly not a long list but I still remember just how many people hated that bloody snow globe finish!

To take the thought somewhere else it got me to wonder if we are now being conditioned to expect our media output to have clean endings with no ambiguity?...3 distinct acts for movies now seem to be transferred to the small screen...

Been a while since I did any non-work related thinking so I'm a bit all over the place!
sigh_its

Postby darfox8 » Jan 11th, 2010 @ 8:28pm

Can I throw The Big-O into the list of shows with shitty endings? It's anime but it's the best example, that I know, of amazing potential and horrendous ending/payoff.

It was originally 13 episodes and it ended in a cliff hanger. It did poorly in Japan so there wasn't going to be a second season but it became pretty popular here so Cartoon Network convinced the studio to make 13 more episodes. The animation was alot worse but it was generally exciting to have it back, that went away though by the last episode... it was better off ending at episode 13 with a cliff hanger.

Never forget!
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m4bnVFQP6fQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m4bnVFQP6fQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 11th, 2010 @ 10:13pm

Hey, I loved the Sopranos ending.

And I still don't really call the Twin Peaks ending an "ending." Both it and Carnivale suffered from ending on a cliffhanger, which doesn't really count. I think both could have had another season to end properly.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 12th, 2010 @ 2:02am

When I first saw the Sopranos ending when it first aired, I was shocked and appalled by it. I was cursing Davis Chase for almost a week. Though I did grow to love it very much. Sucky thing is that it is just way too damn hard to defend to people that despise it.
LiQuid

Postby shadyjohnson » Jan 12th, 2010 @ 4:11pm

Ha ha :lol: . Please keep making references to Red Dwarf. Also remember our favorite game River City Ransom.

Good job, keep it up!
Pro Lurker
shadyjohnson

Postby bitblockader » Jan 12th, 2010 @ 4:54pm

Has Roadie Brock ever killed a man?
bitblockader

Postby Big_Al » Jan 13th, 2010 @ 12:51pm

bitblockader wrote:Has Roadie Brock ever killed a man?

I believe he killed a man in Reno.... just to watch him die...
Big_Al

Next
Forum Statistics