Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 50

Postby Rydog » Jan 27th, 2010 @ 10:10am

The big 5-0! Guest host Patrick Joynt joins us for this week's episode. Enjoy!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 50

Postby LiQuid » Jan 27th, 2010 @ 10:25am

Was just about to listen to this and remembered I haven't watched Burn Notice yet. Be back in 40, bitches!
LiQuid

Postby darfox8 » Jan 27th, 2010 @ 11:32am

Awesome, I'll listen to it now. Before I do though I'd like to say two things: 1Hr 30M? That's pretty long by Geekbox standards. Does Patrick always cause a time warp where nobody keeps track or time? Longer show isn't a bed thing though.

Also, I see Megaman in the show notes. This better be Ryan Scott's apology for attacking the innocent game MM Legends. For it is one of the best game ever made.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby The__Doctor » Jan 27th, 2010 @ 12:30pm

Listening to it now. Have you guys thought about answering some reader questions?

Also i wasn't a big fan of avatar. I would have liked it more if it was an hour shorter, because when i got bored i couldn't think about anything interesting to fill in the gaps. From what i saw they never told you the year the movie took place, how they got to pandora, even what unobtanium (eugh) was used for and why it was so valuable. They might have that information available somewhere online or something, but i dont think its too much to want to know what year it is in an ip without reading the novels.
The__Doctor

Postby mtcantor » Jan 27th, 2010 @ 2:30pm

The__Doctor wrote:Listening to it now. Have you guys thought about answering some reader questions?

Also i wasn't a big fan of avatar. I would have liked it more if it was an hour shorter, because when i got bored i couldn't think about anything interesting to fill in the gaps. From what i saw they never told you the year the movie took place, how they got to pandora, even what unobtanium (eugh) was used for and why it was so valuable. They might have that information available somewhere online or something, but i dont think its too much to want to know what year it is in an ip without reading the novels.

The year is indicated on the video journal segments. Not really an important detail though if you ask me.

You are right about the unobtanium though.
Currently Playing: Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Saints Row 2
Recently finished: Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2,No More Heroes 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders
mtcantor

Postby LiQuid » Jan 27th, 2010 @ 2:40pm

Ryan 'The Motherfucker' Scott wrote:Final Fantasy Tactics was dumb, there I said it.

I'm callin' you out Scott! Put yer fuckin' dukes up!
LiQuid

Postby darfox8 » Jan 27th, 2010 @ 3:14pm

Ok Ryan Scott I'm glade your trying out Megaman Legends. In case you read this, here are some tips to help you enjoy the game(since it might be slightly archaic now a days).

-First, you should recognize that it's basically a 3rd Person shooter without the right Analog stick. You run forward and backwards, strafe left and right with the D Pad(same way you would use the Left Analog stick in a modern shooter). But instead of turning or aiming with the Right Analog stick you just do it with the L1 and R1 Buttons. With this mindset the game's controls shouldn't weird you out. You can also switch the control to make it have tank controls(similar to RE4) but I don't recommend it.

-Your Lock On button isn't too useful in Megaman Legends 1. It's the same button you use to "Look Around"(That's how you know that this game is form a different ear. Because it has a "Look Around" Button instead of just camera controls). When ever there's an enemy close by instead of "Looking Around" the camera will just snap to the enemy, but you can't move while this is going on. In Megaman Legends 2 the lock on works how you'd expect. It's basically "Z"-Targeting. Either way there's only a few sections of the game where it's required or intelligent to use your Lock On. Otherwise refer to the next point.

-Circle Strafe is the law of the land. Most bosses don't move too quickly. Run circles around them and keep shooting. This is one of the few criticism you can level against the game but it happens to almost any game where your shooting at something with a life bar.

-Don't expect "Classic" Megaman Structure or experience. There is no stage select or powers to steal from defeated bosses. It's alot more like a linear Zelda game. Aside from a few optional Dungeons(that are pretty small) you always have one "new" place to go. Megaman Legends M.O. is light hearted adventure. So enjoy the bright colors(above ground) and the funny characters.

-Make sure to have a save file before entering Clozer Sub-Gates. This is the only section in the game where you can possibly screw yourself over. After your done with this "dungeon" your sucked into an inescapable boss battle that might be too tough if your in a weakened state. Maybe it only happened to me but when I first played the game I almost had to stop when I got to this point, because I didn't have any other save points to fall back on. The rest of the game doesn't have any danger of this. Multiple save files isn't anything new if you play RPGs but your probably not using this discipline in this game. Just remember when you get your flying ship operational again, to save before you go into this "dungeon".

I realize that they recorded the podcast earlier in the week so Ryan may of already quit playing one of the best games ever(Megaman Legends) but I don't mind filling the first page of this thread with a big fat Legends post. You guys can't do nothing about it now.

Oh and Megaman ZX is pretty cool but the map in the first game is stupid. I heard they fix it in the second game but I never played it.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby indieinsd » Jan 27th, 2010 @ 3:16pm

Glad to see Patrick put those bitches in their place this week. Patrick and Karen bringing some logical to those other morons who think that it's a 'black and white' world and you must either 'Hate Avatar' or 'Be an Avatard'.
indieinsd

Postby achickenchaser » Jan 27th, 2010 @ 4:02pm

I think Annie died with the rest of the Darma Initiative on Lost. There was a dead girl laying near a (I think) volleyball net as Ben came back to meet Richard in that episode. I always assumed that was Annie.
achickenchaser

Postby bitblockader » Jan 27th, 2010 @ 9:45pm

No better guest for the 50th issue Super-Special.
bitblockader

Postby KindGalaxy » Jan 27th, 2010 @ 11:16pm

This is my favourite episode so far. Now that we have approached renewal contracts (it has been a year); Pizza for Karen should be upgraded to a Value Meal involving a salad-side and choice of soft drink, she's even brought in a worthy voice with regards to Patrick Joynt.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby IcarusII » Jan 28th, 2010 @ 3:33am

Patrick should just take the place of Mike Cruz from here on in. Also, I want to thank mr. And mrs. Joynt/Chu. Finally a viewpoint on Avatar that is balanced and not steeped in snobbery and snide sarcasm. Fair points, both positive and negative, all reasonable and very good, especially Patrick's comment about how the film shows the Military in a positive light and that Avatar is better than SW eps 3.

However, Ryan Scott is right. No more Avatar talk ever. The movie is done. Old news.

I've been playing Mass Effect 2 for a few days now. I'm fairly underwhelmed, guys. I think that Bioware went too far in streamlining some of the rough aspects of the first game. A lot of the RPG elements have been dumbed down or stripped out completely.

Character skills have been pared down and the leveling up process has been simplified, but too much. The inventory system is gone! No more omnigel and selling weapons/armor.

The environments and places you visit feel small. The Citadel in ME2 is but a smaller shadow of it's former self. The Mako missions are gone, which means exploration on uncharted worlds is anemic. The amount of side quests seems to be smaller too.

Still, my favorite aspect of Mass Effect is present and accounted for in Mass Effect 2: The story, the characters, the world that bioware built. It has more personality and has made me laugh on many occasions.

The combat us smoother too, which I guess is nice.
IcarusII

Postby Pepto » Jan 28th, 2010 @ 8:09am

Yay Mr. Karen Chu. :D
Pepto

Postby lemon-fresh » Jan 28th, 2010 @ 8:51am

IcarusII wrote:
I've been playing Mass Effect 2 for a few days now. I'm fairly underwhelmed, guys. I think that Bioware went too far in streamlining some of the rough aspects of the first game. A lot of the RPG elements have been dumbed down or stripped out completely.

Character skills have been pared down and the leveling up process has been simplified, but too much. The inventory system is gone! No more omnigel and selling weapons/armor.

The environments and places you visit feel small. The Citadel in ME2 is but a smaller shadow of it's former self. The Mako missions are gone, which means exploration on uncharted worlds is anemic. The amount of side quests seems to be smaller too.

Still, my favorite aspect of Mass Effect is present and accounted for in Mass Effect 2: The story, the characters, the world that bioware built. It has more personality and has made me laugh on many occasions.

interesting, I think you are one of the few that actually liked all the useless (janky) filler in ME1. In ME2 it seems like they cut out the BS and attempted to deliver a more focused experience. This game feels like it was made for me.

I can understand where you are coming from though, cause it seems like you are into the more tedious time consuming aspects of the RPG genre. I have just always felt that ME's strengths seemed to lie in it's "gameplay mechanics", characters and narrative. By toning down and streamlining the menus and rpg aspects it allows them to better focus the player on the game's strengths, but different strokes for different folks I suppose....
lemon-fresh

Postby IcarusII » Jan 28th, 2010 @ 11:12am

lemon-fresh wrote:
IcarusII wrote:

interesting, I think you are one of the few that actually liked all the useless (janky) filler in ME1. In ME2 it seems like they cut out the BS and attempted to deliver a more focused experience. This game feels like it was made for me.

I can understand where you are coming from though, cause it seems like you are into the more tedious time consuming aspects of the RPG genre. I have just always felt that ME's strengths seemed to lie in it's "gameplay mechanics", characters and narrative. By toning down and streamlining the menus and rpg aspects it allows them to better focus the player on the game's strengths, but different strokes for different folks I suppose....

Well, that's fine and good, but this is a Bioware game. It's the first Bioware game I've played that didn't feel like a Bioware game outside of the dialogue. I don't know if you've played or are a fan of their previous games, but I went into Mass Effect expecting an deep RPG core with a strong Third Person Shooter shell. That's exactly what I got with the original Mass Effect. Sure, there definitely was the bit of tedium. The inventory system was a mess and the Mako missions were quite monotonous, and those were things I'd hoped Bioware would improve upon for the sequel. Well, instead of improving them, they removed those outright! A person who expects an RPG enjoys buying and selling and looting new stuff!

Mass Effect 2 is a third person shooter with RPG-lite trappings. It feels lacking in the latter, and I don't know why Bioware thought they couldn't fit in both genres smoothly without crippling one or the other. They almost did it in the first Mass Effect, but they went a bit too far in Mass Effect 2. Something had to give.

I think that's at odds with contemporary games of today, many of which are quietly ADDING RPG elements into their structure.

I feel like Mass Effect 2 was made with the FPS crowd in mind. Well, you Gears of War players will be happy.
IcarusII

Postby lemon-fresh » Jan 28th, 2010 @ 12:05pm

IcarusII wrote:
lemon-fresh wrote:
IcarusII wrote:

Well, that's fine and good, but this is a Bioware game. It's the first Bioware game I've played that didn't feel like a Bioware game outside of the dialogue. I don't know if you've played or are a fan of their previous games, but I went into Mass Effect expecting an deep RPG core with a strong Third Person Shooter shell. That's exactly what I got with the original Mass Effect. Sure, there definitely was the bit of tedium. The inventory system was a mess and the Mako missions were quite monotonous, and those were things I'd hoped Bioware would improve upon for the sequel. Well, instead of improving them, they removed those outright! A person who expects an RPG enjoys buying and selling and looting new stuff!

Mass Effect 2 is a third person shooter with RPG-lite trappings. It feels lacking in the latter, and I don't know why Bioware thought they couldn't fit in both genres smoothly without crippling one or the other. They almost did it in the first Mass Effect, but they went a bit too far in Mass Effect 2. Something had to give.

I think that's at odds with contemporary games of today, many of which are quietly ADDING RPG elements into their structure.

I feel like Mass Effect 2 was made with the FPS crowd in mind. Well, you Gears of War players will be happy.

IMO it shows that bioware is able to innovate and not make the same game repeatedly... I think dragon age will still be there to carry the hardcore rpg torch though.

The original ME did shooting better than it did the RPG aspects so it makes sense that they would choose to tone down the RPGness and focus on refining the shooting. Actually, in a sense they also refined the RPG elements into their key components, and they succeeded in avoiding that bloated feeling of the first game.
lemon-fresh

Postby Ninjabear » Jan 28th, 2010 @ 12:59pm

On the subject of Horde children character models in WOW, I want to see some Undead childern. :twisted:
Ninjabear

Postby Resa F » Jan 28th, 2010 @ 1:05pm

lemon-fresh wrote:
The original ME did shooting better than it did the RPG aspects so it makes sense that they would choose to tone down the RPGness and focus on refining the shooting. Actually, in a sense they also refined the RPG elements into their key components, and they succeeded in avoiding that bloated feeling of the first game.

What? Seriously? The shooting wasn't bad but the combat on the whole was a tad unwieldy. The RPG elements worked really well I thought. Ah well, I've yet to aqquire Mass Effect 2 (Godsdamn regional release dates). On the podcast, I swear I've laughed out loud at the past 2 than for most of the other ones combined. Also, I don't care if it's Patrick or Mike, they both have awesome laughs.
If you have room in your life for another podcast listen to a far worse one- 4 or so 16 year old Brits talking http://pod.bottlelife.co.uk/tgc.xml
Resa F

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 28th, 2010 @ 1:36pm

Good episode

About Patrick's comment about Avatar jumping the shark with the mech knife fight, it's not really jumping the shark if you never come down.

I agree that the Avatar talk is getting old(I do want to hear Ryan's opinion of it after he's seen it) but I would rather have more Avatar talk than more WoW talk.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Nico » Jan 29th, 2010 @ 8:53am

I feel like there is no issue with the avitard talk, it is a current issue.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nicholas Dragomanovits
Xbox: NicoProtagonist
World Of Warcraft: 80 Blood Elf Hunter, Nauplius
Nico

Postby flufflogic » Jan 29th, 2010 @ 12:34pm

I gotta back Karen up on the whole "sympathise, but don't agree" Avatard thing. I can see how some people could be depressed to see such a realised world that it's impossible to ever visit themselves; however, these people obviously never played a good game. It was a very good film, IMHO, but I loved it for that level of detail in things and the unique ecology. The plot's not the greatest, sure, but it serves the purpose (to not distract but to give momentum).

Aaaaaaaanywho, as a Brit I finally get to start ME2 tonight. Fingers crossed I enjoy it more than the original, seeing as it was a birthday prezzie and as such I feel obliged to play it.
flufflogic

Postby EatBox » Jan 29th, 2010 @ 8:05pm

I'm surprised that for their 50th episode, they didn't have a "what's been you're fav moment in the geekbox in the past 50 episodes" or whatever.
EatBox

Postby MrDrifter » Jan 29th, 2010 @ 10:49pm

LiQuid wrote:
Ryan 'The Motherfucker' Scott wrote:Final Fantasy Tactics was dumb, there I said it.

Yes sir, couldn't agree more! A true classic.

None of the crappy sequels though... The PSP version was a complete joke aside from the new cgi... the frame rate was RIDICULOUS! and the funny part was that I could run the PSX version just fine on the PSP...if I can get it right why cant Sony!?.... sorry.. rant... Now all I need to do is get it running on my Iphone... hmmm

Glad to see Patrick back! Keep him around, he balances everyone out!

I too would love to hear you guys reminisce about your favorite moments from the last 50!
Prepare for trouble...
MrDrifter

Postby Raine » Jan 30th, 2010 @ 12:32pm

Final Fantasy Tactics is a fucking classic and one of the greatest games ever made. My redneck friend who usually doesn't play anything besides sports and pro wrestling games got hooked on that thing. I think that speaks to it's quality.

This episode is the one where they discussed site layouts, ain't it? Cause I got to say, Gamespy is fucking atrocious. The articles on there are great, and the "best games of the 90s/PC/year/RPGs/whatever kind of lists are actually well written and way better then the typical "we just wanna get page views" crap. However, the site is seriously butt ass ugly, and hard as hell to navigate.
Raine

Postby flufflogic » Jan 30th, 2010 @ 2:00pm

MrDrifter wrote:
LiQuid wrote:

Yes sir, couldn't agree more! A true classic.

None of the crappy sequels though... The PSP version was a complete joke aside from the new cgi... the frame rate was RIDICULOUS! and the funny part was that I could run the PSX version just fine on the PSP...if I can get it right why cant Sony!?.... sorry.. rant... Now all I need to do is get it running on my Iphone... hmmm

I quite enjoyed the GBA one.
flufflogic

Postby Creep » Jan 31st, 2010 @ 7:53am

Patrick Chu, Arthur Gies, and Jade Krauss should get together and form the self important douchebag podcast, aka, The Unlikeable Trinity. They can laugh at their own jokes, talk over each other, and impress themselves with their clever observations on life and geek culture while scoffing at everyone who disagrees with them. Hate Hate Hate. My name is Creep.

Otherwise, another fine podcast. Bravo.
Creep

Postby darfox8 » Jan 31st, 2010 @ 10:18am

Creep wrote:Patrick Chu, Arthur Gies, and Jade Krauss should get together and form the self important douchebag podcast, aka, The Unlikeable Trinity. They can laugh at their own jokes, talk over each other, and impress themselves with their clever observations on life and geek culture while scoffing at everyone who disagrees with them. Hate Hate Hate. My name is Creep.

:lol:

I sort of agree. Not so much patrick anymore, I guess I got over him. But man... Arthur Gies... man.
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Jan 31st, 2010 @ 10:24am

Fact: Arthur's shit does not stink. It's actually quite fragrant.
LiQuid

Postby lemon-fresh » Jan 31st, 2010 @ 1:48pm

darfox8 wrote:
Creep wrote:Patrick Chu, Arthur Gies, and Jade Krauss should get together and form the self important douchebag podcast, aka, The Unlikeable Trinity. They can laugh at their own jokes, talk over each other, and impress themselves with their clever observations on life and geek culture while scoffing at everyone who disagrees with them. Hate Hate Hate. My name is Creep.

I sort of agree. Not so much patrick anymore, I guess I got over him. But man... Arthur Gies... man.

Agreed, he as been pretty pretentious lately... Luckily every1 on the podcast has been making fun of him for it (ongoing joke).
lemon-fresh

Postby Konanda » Jan 31st, 2010 @ 7:07pm

lemon-fresh wrote:
darfox8 wrote:

Agreed, he as been pretty pretentious lately... Luckily every1 on the podcast has been making fun of him for it (ongoing joke).

He still comes off as a hipster that has now gone so far up his colon that he's discovered where the ileocecal sphincter is located, it's funny it used to be Tyler who was in that spot. Patrick's great though and Jade is annoying at times but usually alright.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Next
Forum Statistics