Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 52

Postby Rydog » Feb 9th, 2010 @ 1:31pm

Spoiler warning: We spend a fair chunk of this week's episode talking about Lost's season 6 premiere. Hopefully it doesn't mess too many people up. :) Enjoy!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 52

Postby darfox8 » Feb 9th, 2010 @ 1:53pm

Cool I'll listen to it now while I alphabetize my DVD collection. Can't wait for Lost spoilers to go in one ear and out the other.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby slinkdickens » Feb 9th, 2010 @ 3:50pm

FYI, that Lennon dude in Lost was also a significant character in Deadwood.
slinkdickens

Postby bitblockader » Feb 9th, 2010 @ 6:42pm

Chu's incredulity during the lost letter was hilarious.
bitblockader

Postby LiK » Feb 9th, 2010 @ 10:16pm

i soooooooo love Karen in this episode. i agree with her about not denying yourself specific sorts of entertainment just because you learn a few spoilers. it's the journey that is what makes it enjoyable. open yourself to different things, you might be surprised. if you hate it, fine. but if you have any interests, check it out. i wasn't interested in Harry Potter or LOST until my sis got me into them. i'm glad she did because she got me into loving two great series.

btw Fitch, go play Bioshock! you ignorant man ;)
LiK

Postby IcarusII » Feb 10th, 2010 @ 3:36am

Karen you were so awesome this week! So outspoken and energetic.

I picked up the Bioshock 2 Collector's Edition yesterday. It's the nicest video game LE I've seen in a while and is actuay worth the extra money, which I can't say about a lot of other supposed 'limited' collector sets.

Anyway, I think Ryan should continue reading listener letters/posts in future episodes. Keep it up.
IcarusII

Postby MrDrifter » Feb 10th, 2010 @ 1:06pm

Great episode!

I was on and off with Lost through out its run. Last season was one of those off times, so listening to the podcast was rough... now I'm back on the wagon and look forward to hearing you guys chat about it!

I'm with Karen, ESPECIALLY in regards to Bioshock and Portal, they are must play's regardless of what you may or may not know going in.... In my opinion, the act of getting to the actual 'spoiler' is 3/4 of the fun!
Prepare for trouble...
MrDrifter

Postby LiQuid » Feb 10th, 2010 @ 2:01pm

Man, it's never gotten on my nerves before, but Karen eating in this episode nearly made me barf. Seriously, can't you guys eat before or after the show?
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 10th, 2010 @ 2:50pm

You guys seem to think that the two "realities" are happening at the same time, it's 2004 in the flashsideways and 2007 on the island. Who's to say they wouldn't end up on the island without the plane crash? Maybe they unsink the island and end up where they would have had they crashed.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Luke » Feb 10th, 2010 @ 7:10pm

When Karen goes off on Fitch, you guys cheer, but when Patrick did it in his first show appearance, apparently everyone was bitching, wtf? I didn't mind her getting aggressive, but I didn't mind it when Patrick did, either.

I agree that the Bioshock 2 CE is one of the best. It definitely had the best packaging.
Luke

Postby Konanda » Feb 10th, 2010 @ 8:56pm

Luke wrote:When Karen goes off on Fitch, you guys cheer, but when Patrick did it in his first show appearance, apparently everyone was bitching, wtf? I didn't mind her getting aggressive, but I didn't mind it when Patrick did, either.

I agree that the Bioshock 2 CE is one of the best. It definitely had the best packaging.

Well the first post about the Bioshock thing is from a poster who just registered today and second it's only been up for a day. That and Karen's been around since the beginning so it's not as jarring as someone coming in as a guest and just dominating a section of the episode. That said Patrick's awesome and the only reason I personally didn't find his first appearance that stellar is because it got boring after a while just hearing him talk for long stretches at a time.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby AJR » Feb 11th, 2010 @ 12:20am

I had no problem with Patrick berating Fitch, but after about an hour of the guy I was just tired of hearing him. His appearances since then have been fine.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby Albedo12 » Feb 11th, 2010 @ 1:44am

Fitch, did you ever turn down sex because you heard about orgasms already? Oh, and don't watch the Lord of the Rings movies if you've read the books - they practically spoil the whole thing.

Seriously though, spoliers may lessen an experience but they don't stop it being fun. Stop being so bloody precious. :D
Albedo12

Postby Gravatix » Feb 11th, 2010 @ 11:06am

I don't know... I think you guys are being too hard on Fitch. The journey can be important and all but in some cases when you know the outcome it does ruin the journey. Like Karen's example of a sports game: If you know your team lost 2 to 3 watching it is pointless... you already know that no matter how good some play is, they choked and lost some how. All the passion is gone. If you know they win 3 to 2 then one again it doesn't really matter how good or bad they looked out there, they won. All the dramatic tension is gone. It can be that way with game/movie/tv spoilers... it can totally ruin the journey or at least drain it of its importance.
Gravatix

Postby darfox8 » Feb 11th, 2010 @ 12:06pm

I'm selective about how anal I am about spoilers. Normally I'm about the Journey and I don't mind if someone spoils something for me. But if I know I'm going to watch/play/read something then I try and avoid everything as much as possible. With MGS4 and Assassins Creed 2 I avoid everything.

But in Assassin's Creed 2's case I'm playing right now and I'm getting near the end but my 360 red-ringed again so I'm waiting for my friend to come over so I can finish it on his 360. I heard the ending was absolutely bonkers so I want to experience it for my self.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby GiantAsianMan » Feb 11th, 2010 @ 12:24pm

Gravatix wrote:I don't know... I think you guys are being too hard on Fitch. The journey can be important and all but in some cases when you know the outcome it does ruin the journey. Like Karen's example of a sports game: If you know your team lost 2 to 3 watching it is pointless... you already know that no matter how good some play is, they choked and lost some how. All the passion is gone. If you know they win 3 to 2 then one again it doesn't really matter how good or bad they looked out there, they won. All the dramatic tension is gone. It can be that way with game/movie/tv spoilers... it can totally ruin the journey or at least drain it of its importance.

I tend to disagree. One example I'll give is the 1980 US Olympic hockey team. That game took place a year before I was born, so I've never not known the outcome of US 4, USSR 3. And yet knowing the final score does not detract from my rewatching of that game (on ESPN Classic, watching Miracle, etc.) because the "how" is just as important as the "what." If you just saw the score, you'd miss Mark Johnson scoring at the end of the first period when the Soviets thought that time had expired, the eruption of emotion when Mike Eruzione scores in halfway through the third to go up 4-3, and all of the incredible saves Jim Craig makes in the final 10 minutes to preserve the win. Knowing the final score doesn't, and shouldn't, detract from watching and experiencing these moments. The journey matters to fans, be it of sports, game, movies, TV, books, whatever. And if it doesn't, then you probably didn't care in the first place, and it doesn't matter.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby slinkdickens » Feb 11th, 2010 @ 12:33pm

I 1,000,000% agree with Karen beating up on Fitch about not wanting to play Bioshock or Portal because he heard spoilers. Fitch's reasoning has to be about the most ignorant thing I've heard in a long while.

Personally, I went decided to read The Lord of the Rings books after watching the first movie. Guess what? The movie totally spoils the plot points in the books, but plot points aren't what make the books good. A vice-versa example is watching "To Kill a Mockingbird" after reading the book.

The most insane part of it all is that Karen was talking about Bioshock and Portal. These are two games that are all about the experience, not the cliff notes.

I really think that Fitch is just one of those guys that needs to stubbornly defend himself no matter how wrong he knows he is. I say this because no reasonable person would actually believe the stupid crap coming out of his mouth.
slinkdickens

Postby darfox8 » Feb 11th, 2010 @ 12:42pm

As I said, I'm a "journey is more important than the destination" type of guy. But I guess I'm not as angry at Fitch as some other people because I know alot of people like him in real life. One time I told my friend that before the last boss of Final Fantasy 9 there's a special save point where you can heal and teleport back out to the over world(he was worried he was under leveled to go into the last Dungeon), and he got super pissed at me and told me I ruined the end of the game for him. So when I heard the podcast I just said, "Oh man. Fitch is one of those people."
darfox8

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 11th, 2010 @ 1:33pm

Albedo12 wrote:Fitch, did you ever turn down sex because you heard about orgasms already?

Seriously though, spoliers may lessen an experience but they don't stop it being fun. Stop being so bloody precious. :D

LOLZ! Nice example!

I've had plenty of people spoil shit for me, but if I had the desire/interest initially to see/do it, I'll usually still follow through. Then, I'll kick them for spoiling it for me. Then again, the statute of limitations on spoiling something does play a role also.
Last edited by jinpei05 on Feb 11th, 2010 @ 3:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Feb 11th, 2010 @ 1:49pm

Fitch seriously hasn't played Portal?! That can't be true... If it is, if Fitch doesn't play Portal like fucking yesterday I'm boycotting... something. I don't care what, I'm gonna fucking boycott.
LiQuid

Postby Karen » Feb 11th, 2010 @ 11:21pm

You guys *totally* saved me today at pub trivia. One of the questions for the final double-points round was something along the lines of: "The Grammy's had the highest Nielson rating blah blah blah. What non-reality tv programming is rated the highest according Nielson?"

NCIS.

N.C.I.S., bitches.
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI

http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby DerBonk » Feb 11th, 2010 @ 11:41pm

NCIS isn't all that bad, if you liked JAG :D It's basically the same, but less court and more Abby being weird about "science."

Anyways, good episode, but I kinda agree with Fitch about spoilers. I think what he meant is: Harry Potter was spoiled for me/I saw the movies -> I don't care about reading the books. Where's the problem in that? It just means he has no interest in reading the books, it's not like he is constantly angry that someone spoiled it for him and now he can't read the anymore, he is just not interested. The Sixth Sense is exactly the same for me. I bet the movie is great, but after being spoiled, I just never had any interest in watching it, as long as there is other stuff that I don't know anything about.

With games however (esp. Portal) I disagree to a certain extent. A game is not just story, so if the story is spoiled for you, there's a lot of other stuff that you still don't "know" about the game. Especially Portal has such interesting puzzles and gameplay that, except you watched someone play through the whole thing, are still fresh and interesting, even though you got spoiled. With Bioshock on the other hand, besides the few memorable story moments (Cohen Sanders and esp. the WYK thing), I would argue that you really don't have to play it. I was so disappointed with the last part, I wished I had simply stopped playing after the Ryan confrontation. It was a standard shooter after that.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby GravyTrain » Feb 12th, 2010 @ 10:26am

I think the reason Karen got so annoyed is Fitch basically said Karen's endorsement and enthusiasm of the Potter books and Bioshock is insufficient or insignificant for him to waste his time. I feel the same way when my friends do this and it feels insulting.

What Fitchs isn't understanding is the quality of the HP books and Bioshock greatly surpass the plot points he knows about. Yes everyone knows X kills Y and someone is someones father or whatever. However, as Ryan tried to get across in the podcast, is the level of storytelling to convey these things is carried out so well it is worth the price of admission alone. In the end what Fitch is doing is denying himself watershed moments of our generations and ultimately his loss. Sadly I confess I've done the same thing and I'm being hypocritical. I've yet to watch Citizen Kane because I'm hoping I'll forget the important thing at the end so I can watch and be surprised. Maybe when I finally get Alzheimer's then I can watch over and over what is supposedly one of the greatest movies of all time.

If a good story was just plot points and the twist then we'd all be Stephen King and JKR.
GravyTrain

Postby Resa F » Feb 12th, 2010 @ 1:33pm

I don't usually take sides after listening to the podcasts but Fitch was being ignorant, dumb & bloody-minded about spoilers this episode. It doesn't matter if you know where you're going on a trip but you still go on the trip for the experience
If you have room in your life for another podcast listen to a far worse one- 4 or so 16 year old Brits talking http://pod.bottlelife.co.uk/tgc.xml
Resa F

Postby flufflogic » Feb 12th, 2010 @ 2:13pm

Fitch really didn't come across well. I mean, FFS, someone ruined Sixth Sense's twist for me as I headed to the cinema, and it didn't spoil that...

I understand that it takes away the surprise, but still... in games, it's not about the little bits, it's the whole multi-hour experience. A plot spoiler, even the Bioshock twist, really can't take away from it.
flufflogic

Postby LiQuid » Feb 12th, 2010 @ 2:46pm

Fitch, would you kindly play Bioshock? And Portal. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby flufflogic » Feb 12th, 2010 @ 4:42pm

LiQuid wrote:Fitch, would you kindly play Bioshock? And Portal. :lol:

There will be cake :D
flufflogic

Postby achickenchaser » Feb 12th, 2010 @ 6:03pm

I can only think of one instance where a spoiler would ruin a movie for me and that would be the first Saw movie. If you take away the "what the fuck!" ending to that, it just wouldn't be the same.

I don't think you all should be so hard on Fitch, though. If somebody were to ruin the last season of Lost, I'm sure certain podcasters would be singing a different tune.
achickenchaser

Postby die-die » Feb 13th, 2010 @ 3:34am

Why haven't they thrown Fitch under a bus by now? He's negative all the time, and the way he goes "umm" all the time sounds like he's eating air. I genuinely can't hear Karen eating because Fitch is trying desperately hard to kill them all by consuming all the oxygen.
die-die

Postby markedmanoftheyear » Feb 13th, 2010 @ 10:02am

I have commented about the eating before, but let me say this to clarify. Eating while you podcast is not a problem, as long as you back away from the microphone until you are DONE chewing.

You see, microphones are designed to be sensitive so they can pick up every little sound (I have been recording in studios for 20 years) and the sounds of your masticating comes through in headphones and MAKES PEOPLE FEEL SICK!

Didn't your mother ever tell you not to talk with your mouth full? There is a reason she wanted you to finish your food and then speak, because it sounds gross.

Seriously, this a one of the first rules I ever read about creating a podcast. It's almost as annoying as Patrick.

I know you all eat, but the reason you are always singled out, Karen, is because you jump into the conversation with half a slice of pie in your mouth, and we all get right in our ears. Have you ever listened to it yourself on headphones?

Eat, chew, swallow and then talk. Simple.

I think Fitch is a closet homosexual (not that there is anything wrong with that). It's all about the homoerotic with him.

Love the show other than the chewing and Patrick....
markedmanoftheyear

Next
Forum Statistics