Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Rydog » Mar 9th, 2010 @ 2:05pm

Our Rebel FM frenemy Anthony Gallegos joins us for this week's longer-than-usual episode. Yay!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby lemon-fresh » Mar 9th, 2010 @ 3:14pm

Ohhhhh man more Anthony, I'm psyched for this one!
lemon-fresh
User avatar
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 2:52pm
Location: Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 9th, 2010 @ 3:26pm

Look forward to listening to it tomorrow.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby jensemann » Mar 9th, 2010 @ 4:56pm

European free educations strikes again.
A speedball is as you rightly guessed the alkaloid cocaine (C_17 H_21 NO_4) and diacetylmorphine or heroin (C_17 H_17 NO(C_2 H_3 O_2)_2) mixed in the same syringe, rather than smoke form, called moonrocks.
Yeah that what you learn when you spend your first month on this island in the neighbourhood where trainspotting is set.
:twisted:
jensemann
User avatar
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 15th, 2009 @ 1:56pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby The__Doctor » Mar 9th, 2010 @ 7:14pm

I think these shows are best when new people show up. Not that there not good normally, just always nice to see a new perspective on things, when it gets to the point where i can assume what fitch or karen think about somethings it can get a little boring. great pod pod pod pod cast!
The__Doctor
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Nov 26th, 2009 @ 1:56am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby SJSchmidt93 » Mar 9th, 2010 @ 8:08pm

Nooooooooo!!!!!! -- Anthony -- the AIDS! I think it's too late.
SJSchmidt93
User avatar
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mar 20th, 2009 @ 6:21pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Konanda » Mar 9th, 2010 @ 8:46pm

Awesome, it's been a while since Anthony has been on. It makes up for not having Karen on twice in a row now. Seriously.

Edit:
That said Alice was still a pretty cool guest last week.

Also 1:30 in and already hating on FFXIII. :cry: Also from what I've heard on at1up and read on the internets that Final Fantasy launch event sounded pretty awesome.
Last edited by Konanda on Mar 9th, 2010 @ 9:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda
User avatar
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 3:52pm
Location: Midwestern Ontario, Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Tzmhero » Mar 9th, 2010 @ 8:50pm

So yeah, I love this podcast... but is it bad that I never actually watched Lost and just take everything said about it as truth? You could be like 'Yeah, so Locke just transformed into a robot and shot FireII at that guy, but he totally repelled it by using his Master Sword' and I would accept it.

Oh well.

Nice to be on the forums by the way :)
Tzmhero
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mar 9th, 2010 @ 8:42pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Konanda » Mar 9th, 2010 @ 9:03pm

Tzmhero wrote:So yeah, I love this podcast... but is it bad that I never actually watched Lost and just take everything said about it as truth? You could be like 'Yeah, so Locke just transformed into a robot and shot FireII at that guy, but he totally repelled it by using his Master Sword' and I would accept it.

Oh well.

Nice to be on the forums by the way :)


Welcome to the Geekbox forums remember to greet the resident troll Liquid (do not feed him past midnight though) and his Dr. Jekyll counterpart kenzo. Hope you have a great time on them.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda
User avatar
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 3:52pm
Location: Midwestern Ontario, Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Tzmhero » Mar 9th, 2010 @ 9:31pm

Thanks Konanda. I intend to :)
Tzmhero
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mar 9th, 2010 @ 8:42pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Konanda » Mar 9th, 2010 @ 11:05pm

Oh and to Anthony I think part of the reason the Geekbox forums is more proactive is because having a forum which allows for people to talk about a multitude of topics. Instead of just about what was discussed in the podcast or in terms of gameclub about that specific game means that a stronger community presence is built becuase people can just go on the forum to talk about whatever they like and hopefully someone else will reply about what they feel about the topic. (well within some reason I mean if someone started up a thread about how they just drove drunk to rob a bank and than did a line of blow off a prostitutes back and how awesome it was I'm pretty sure Master Higgins would lock that up pretty quickly)

Plus actually having to register a user name instills a further identity to the members on the forums. I mean on the comments for Rebel FM all you need is some random username and an email address. (and I'm pretty sure you don't even need a real one seeing as there is no registration check needed)
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda
User avatar
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 3:52pm
Location: Midwestern Ontario, Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby IcarusII » Mar 9th, 2010 @ 11:14pm

OMG Anthony is back on!!!

Wait, there's Final Fantasy XIII hate on the podcast? Well, it does have an 80-something average on Metacritic, so of course it's crap.
IcarusII
 
Posts: 50
Joined: May 2nd, 2009 @ 6:55pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Konanda » Mar 10th, 2010 @ 12:00am

IcarusII wrote:OMG Anthony is back on!!!

Wait, there's Final Fantasy XIII hate on the podcast? Well, it does have an 80-something average on Metacritic, so of course it's crap.



Not much so far granted I'm not that far when I said that I was was referring to some hate (I guess I should say more apathy) on how everyone was going to the FFXIII launch party.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda
User avatar
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 3:52pm
Location: Midwestern Ontario, Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby IcarusII » Mar 10th, 2010 @ 3:12am

Fitch does get into talking about his FFXIII review (spoiler: he gave it a 5/10) . I''m sure that might rile some feathers here. Actually, this could be a very divisive episode of geekbox. There's some pooping on FF7, Resident Evil, etc. Well, most of the negative stuff is the glib, reductive quips from R.Scott (I.e. Someone tries to defend a game and in response it's all "no no no no it sucks) but it's there. I don't actually think Ryan Scott plays games anymore, going by what's said near the end of the episode

I liked this episode though. Anthony should be on Geekbox more often, though Since he's already got his hands full with rfm and game club, I doubt it.

Heavy Rain does not have tank controls. WTF? It has a story filled withplot holes and poor writing, but it does not have the tank control in the classic RE sense.
IcarusII
 
Posts: 50
Joined: May 2nd, 2009 @ 6:55pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby plainclothesman » Mar 10th, 2010 @ 5:20am

I have to say Fitch that I disagree with you on a lot of things, however your review of FFXIII was music to my ears. It's not the game that I'm talking about here, I haven't even played it yet, but its your review. Finally somebody stands up and cuts through the bullshit and gives it a score that matches how the reviewer felt. I was starting to think FFXIII had broken gaming journalism. Too many reviewers had many disappointing things to say about the game, but in the end they hid behind their high score from inevitable backlash and the fact that the name Final Fantasy was on the box. Kudos to you Fitch.
plainclothesman
User avatar
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Jan 17th, 2010 @ 11:36pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby darfox8 » Mar 10th, 2010 @ 8:40am

None of the FF13 "hating" bothered me and I don't think it should bother anybody. Fitch was very reasonable and precise about what he didn't like about the game.

Ryan's glib comments every two seconds did bother me though. It really is starting to get a little embarrassing. I think he's trying to be cute or something but it's not funny. It's even worse when he tries to explain why he has these snap judgments. He tried to claim that one of the reasons he couldn't play MGS4 was because they switched up the Equipment controls... that was the only thing they didn't switch up. Still on L2 and R2 like since MGS 2(or MGS 1, really). I guess it's nit-picking but I'm constantly scratching my head at his comments and now he tries to explain them and it's even more random.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8
User avatar
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 3:23pm
Location: Ocala, Florida

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 10th, 2010 @ 1:34pm

Awesome episode


Obviously if I win the competition I wont keep The Dukes of Hazzard 2: Daisy Dukes It Out. It will go to someone in the top 3 or the person in last, with so many prizes I'm not sure how they're going to be distributed yet.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby LiK » Mar 10th, 2010 @ 1:54pm

Ryan Scott, for the LOST discussion

Spoiler: show
A knife ain't gonna the Smoke monster because Bram tried shooting him and the bullet went right through him.


Remember?
LiK
User avatar
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Feb 9th, 2010 @ 10:10pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Konanda » Mar 10th, 2010 @ 2:23pm

Man Fitch sounds like a fangirl whenever he talks about Gilroy and Michael. When he said he would scream if Gilroy came back I pictured something like this. I actually think he is writing slash fic of the two.



Edit: Just got to the FFXIII hate and by hate I mean Fitch saying that the game just isn't his cup of tea, which is cool. Hearing the posts about it I wasn't expecting a huge amount of hate.

Like on the hate scale I would put Fitch at a 2 or so and say Jade's Silent Hill: Shattered Memories rant at a 11 or 12. (this is of course on a 14 point scale)

Also does Fitch mean using the draw points in the field instead of enemies to get the magic you need to junction to your character so you can become super over powered? Since if you didn't junction magic to your stats in FFVIII you are doing it wrong. I mean that works to if you are looking to become overpowered since you aren't fighting enemies for exp but you are still getting magic to junction so your stats go up and because it scales the enemies are all really underwhelming.

Actually Ryan is right the only 2 hour long Geekbox is episode 1.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda
User avatar
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 3:52pm
Location: Midwestern Ontario, Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby AdamGS » Mar 11th, 2010 @ 9:58am

So in this episode Ryan Scott hates on:
Final Fantasy
Resident Evil
Uncharted
Heavy Rain

I'm starting to think the podcast is becoming a bit like reading a certain internet message board. Especially the Uncharted comment, which really didn't have any explanation as to why he hated it at all.
Gamestyle - Our Word. Your Guide | Twitter |
Xbox Live - Adam1986 | PSN - MyNameIsAdam
AdamGS
User avatar
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Mar 15th, 2009 @ 4:01am
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, England

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby lemon-fresh » Mar 11th, 2010 @ 11:50am

AdamGS wrote:So in this episode Ryan Scott hates on:
Final Fantasy
Resident Evil
Uncharted
Heavy Rain

I'm starting to think the podcast is becoming a bit like reading a certain internet message board. Especially the Uncharted comment, which really didn't have any explanation as to why he hated it at all.


Enter Ryan Scott, except he doesn't get made fun of for his hating nearly as much as he does on the gamespy podcast.
lemon-fresh
User avatar
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 2:52pm
Location: Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby darfox8 » Mar 11th, 2010 @ 1:16pm

Sound's like I'd like the gamespy podcast more at this point. If only because I wont have to come on the message boards to bitch about it. It's just taken care of live.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8
User avatar
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 3:23pm
Location: Ocala, Florida

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby lemon-fresh » Mar 11th, 2010 @ 1:55pm

darfox8 wrote:Sound's like I'd like the gamespy podcast more at this point. If only because I wont have to come on the message boards to bitch about it. It's just taken care of live.


Check it out, you won't be disappointed.
lemon-fresh
User avatar
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 2:52pm
Location: Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Jaebird » Mar 11th, 2010 @ 3:41pm

On the subject of Final Fantasy VII, I will say it was my first Final Fantasy, but it is not my favorite. That is reserved for Final Fantasy IX. I just enjoyed that more then the previous two games on the PlayStation.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird
User avatar
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Jun 6th, 2009 @ 7:37am
Location: New Iberia, LA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Konanda » Mar 11th, 2010 @ 6:21pm

darfox8 wrote:None of the FF13 "hating" bothered me and I don't think it should bother anybody. Fitch was very reasonable and precise about what he didn't like about the game.

Ryan's glib comments every two seconds did bother me though. It really is starting to get a little embarrassing. I think he's trying to be cute or something but it's not funny. It's even worse when he tries to explain why he has these snap judgments. He tried to claim that one of the reasons he couldn't play MGS4 was because they switched up the Equipment controls... that was the only thing they didn't switch up. Still on L2 and R2 like since MGS 2(or MGS 1, really). I guess it's nit-picking but I'm constantly scratching my head at his comments and now he tries to explain them and it's even more random.


Personally I think Ryan just wishes he was a cranky old dude sometimes so he can tell children to get off his lawn for reals. It doesn't really bother me since usually he doesn't dwell to much on it and it kind of just sounds like the spoiled kid saying "mine" or "is not" when someone disagrees with them, which is kind of funny in a certain character of himself kind of way. Personally I think it's just because Karen hasn't been on the Geekbox for the past two episodes to kick ass and take names whenever the other members like Ryan go on about stuff like that.

I mean seriously if you notice when most people got upset about something someone said on the podcast Karen was absent. i.e. Patrick's first apperance and Jade and Justin's Silent Hill: Shattered Memories hate ho-down, this podcast. I mean the only other ones that will call people out on what they say is Brock and Patrick to an extent.

This is the whole reason I wouldn't listen to the Geekbox if it turned into just Ryan Scott, Fitch Master Higgins and rotating guest. Well I probably would for a while longer because of Master Higgins but the whole thing is if there wasn't anybody to call them out it would just probably turn into the audio supplement to Ryan trolling any variety of message boards every third sentance or so with maybe Fitch adding to that and Master Higgins just being pretty laid back doing his own kind of thing.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda
User avatar
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 3:52pm
Location: Midwestern Ontario, Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby LiQuid » Mar 11th, 2010 @ 8:45pm

It baffles me that in the year of our lord, two-thousand-ten people are still surprised that nerds bitch about shit. What the fuck have I been doing with my life the last fifteen years?! :lol:
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Jaebird » Mar 11th, 2010 @ 8:46pm

LiQuid wrote:It baffles me that in the year of our lord, two-thousand-ten people are still surprised that nerds bitch about shit. What the fuck have I been doing with my life the last fifteen years?! :lol:

Not perfecting The Hustle, that's what :P
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird
User avatar
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Jun 6th, 2009 @ 7:37am
Location: New Iberia, LA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Konanda » Mar 11th, 2010 @ 8:57pm

LiQuid wrote:It baffles me that in the year of our lord, two-thousand-ten people are still surprised that nerds bitch about shit. What the fuck have I been doing with my life the last fifteen years?! :lol:


Oh I realise it I just don't care to hear a bunch of people bitching because I can read through someone bitching much faster than I can hear through someone bitching. It's not really that much of a problem it's just boring, and I like to listen to podcasts when I'm doing something menial and boring so I have something to entertain me a little in the background. Either that or music.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda
User avatar
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 3:52pm
Location: Midwestern Ontario, Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby flufflogic » Mar 12th, 2010 @ 4:49am

FF6 and 8 are personal faves, but for minigames WITHIN FF games, Blitzball in X. Liked it more than the main game...
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 56

Postby Govir » Mar 12th, 2010 @ 7:56am

flufflogic wrote:FF6 and 8 are personal faves, but for minigames WITHIN FF games, Blitzball in X. Liked it more than the main game...


I hated Blitzball...with a passion. Never did get the Ultimate weapon where you had to play.

Anyway, perhaps what they meant by not drawing was to use your GF-Refine abilities. I remember getting a ton of magic from some refines. How exactly you'd get the items to do that, idk, but it seems like a different way to get magic. I admit that I'm a drawing glutton when it comes to FFVIII though and must draw 100 (for everyone) of any new magic I come across.

FFVIII is my favorite FF story wise but that's probably because I have a soft spot for the main plot device in the game:
Spoiler: show
Time travel.
I really wish they'd make a movie that just follows Eight's story line without the need for me to draw magic.

FFVII's Materia System was great in my opinion. I haven't played FFVII in a long time though because the graphics really don't hold up (i.e. I hate them). Any game that tries to be "realistic" with their graphics is destined to lose it's edge when better graphics come out. I think it's a much better idea for a game to be slightly stylized so that it ages well (but then again, the idea is that people buy it *now* so they need to make it look good *now*).
Govir
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Feb 24th, 2010 @ 1:43pm

Next
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron