Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 61

Postby Rydog » Apr 13th, 2010 @ 6:53pm

This week's episode features a pretty long Clash of the Titans rant. Grrrrrr anger! Also, Lost. And something about a Burn Notice musical episode. WTF?
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 61

Postby Coctopus » Apr 13th, 2010 @ 7:03pm

I have no interest in seeing the new one unless it has Bubo. I've heard it does, but I'm not sure that it will be the same.
Coctopus

Postby KindGalaxy » Apr 13th, 2010 @ 7:41pm

Burn Notice musical episode?

Buffy did it right the first time,

Xena was a close second with this accurate portrayal of Ancient Greek Theater

Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby Jon Cole » Apr 13th, 2010 @ 8:13pm

As always, posted the Lost spoiler timestamps on my CastMedium post for this episode. Good on the crew for delaying spoilers to the end, as that's how podcasts should treat the sensitive topic.

Also, totally a huge fan of the second A-Team trailer. The first pales in comparison to the updated one... gotta say, Rampage Jackson whistling that familiar tune before firing the grenade launcher was beautiful.
Jon Cole

Postby GhaleonQ » Apr 13th, 2010 @ 9:05pm

I suppose I'll defend the guys here, too.

1. A better explanation: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392128 He didn't put it up because people wouldn't seek out new information (like Karen didn't). That's not an insult, just an unfortunate acknowledgement.

2. I don't do comedy of any kind, but why don't some people recognize what improv is? When they were "just talking," the guests usually jump in to make jokes. They spent the entire time desperately throwing stuff out for the Penny Arcade people, and those 2 didn't say anything. I presume it's because they don't watch onstage comedy or that they didn't understand that they were supposed to make jokes. Jesse explained what the show was before they started, so they knew that they weren't on the public radio show.

Check the Paul Scheer http://media.libsyn.com/media/thornmorr ... 8_ep83.mp3, Chris Hardwick
http://media.libsyn.com/media/thornmorr ... _ep128.mp3 , and 1 of their old friends' http://media.libsyn.com/media/thornmorr ... rected.mp3 opening segments for reference.

3. No offense, but The Sound Of Young America (check out Andy Richter's interview) is a stellar radio show and Jordan, Jesse, Go is the funniest podcast there is. The guy's a radio host for PRI and they got Nick Hornby to do the non-interview show, they have John Hodgeman do a regular segment, and Jesse made (before he got married) a living off of the donations people send to him. I'm 1 of them. Meanwhile, Penny Arcade put out a tepid, thrice-weekly comic. Come on. They aren't their social betters. Whom should I trust on this, Patton Oswalt, Maria Bamford, Dave Attell, or Penny Arcade (and NeoGAF, I guess)? I'll stick with the professional humorists.

4. Disrespect? Uh. Did you READ the Penny Arcade's non-apologies and post-podcast insults? That's why Jesse took it down again.
GhaleonQ

Postby Konanda » Apr 13th, 2010 @ 11:07pm

A bow and arrow, so Artemis was in the movie?

Also the story that Medusa was a beautiful woman who was transformed into a monster is revisionist. The original Medusa along with her gorgon sisters were originally the daughters of Phorcys and Ceto who are primordial dieties. That particular story Ryan talked about in fact was popularized by a Roman.

This myth also makes only her two sisters Stheno and Euryale immortal unlike Medusa.

If you want to go even further back than what I have above there is a time when the Gorgon (notice singular) was a fearsome creature who's head was on Zeus' shield. (aegis)
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby ChiefDanGeorge » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 6:32am

The original Clash of the Titans is fairly hokey, but the stop motion stuff was great. It was a throw back to the Sinbad movies of the 50s/60s for sure.
ChiefDanGeorge

Postby leebenningfield » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 7:44am

I didn't listen to that Jordan Jesse Go podcast yet, but the description sounds similar to the few episodes of it that I have listened to. They were also awkward, and when the guests weren't going with the flow, it was pretty bad. I have however listened to quite a few episodes of the Sounds of Young America podcast, so I know Jesse Thorn is not always some kind of weirdo jerk, and can actually conduct a good interview, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

I'm surprised Jerry and Mike had a horrible time on the show, in their own podcast and show they seem quite able to riff on each other and anybody else, and improvise stuff and be funny.
leebenningfield

Postby LiQuid » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 7:45am

I listened to the PA episode of JJG, and honestly it was mostly just Gabe having a hissyfit the entire time. Jesse does sound like a pompous dickbag, but Gabe is really the only reason the podcast was awkward.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 7:52am

Rydog wrote:And something about a Burn Notice musical episode. WTF?

Yes, it was an April Fool's Day joke.

http://twitter.com/BurnNotice_USA/status/11446465264

And a quick note about Ocean's 12. One reason it sucked and didn't make any sense was because it wasn't originally written for the Ocean's 11 characters; it was a script for a different movie (I believe called The Night Fox) that was co-oped, manipulated, mangled, and force-fed into the Ocean's 11 franchise. I think they made Ocean's 13 (which was better than 12, not as good as 11) to make up for the fact that Ocean's 12 was so bad.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby shadyjohnson » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 9:45am

Why are you guys so self hating? Your podcast is really good. I don't like the Giant Bomb podcast. A Life Well Wasted is a good podcast and no you are not as good, but your podcast is better than the Rebel FM podcast. Don't be so self hating.
Pro Lurker
shadyjohnson

Postby Roadie Brock » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 10:20am

"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 12:59pm

shadyjohnson wrote:Why are you guys so self hating? Your podcast is really good. I don't like the Giant Bomb podcast. A Life Well Wasted is a good podcast and no you are not as good, but your podcast is better than the Rebel FM podcast. Don't be so self hating.

Karen's the only one that hates us.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 2:36pm

Master Higgins wrote:
shadyjohnson wrote:Why are you guys so self hating? Your podcast is really good. I don't like the Giant Bomb podcast. A Life Well Wasted is a good podcast and no you are not as good, but your podcast is better than the Rebel FM podcast. Don't be so self hating.

Karen's the only one that hates us.

You guys need to put her in her place. Self-deprocating humor is great and all, but she sounds way too serious and condescending. The Geekbox is great for what it is, and doesn't have to be/shouldn't aspire to be anything else.

That said, I enjoyed Ryan Scott's breakdown of Release the Kraken throughly.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 2:45pm

kenzo wrote:That said, I enjoyed Ryan Scott's breakdown of Release the Kraken throughly.

He should review a different movie every week. If only there was some sort of geekbox movie club that would pick a new movie every week.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby IRL_Troll » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 4:05pm

I like the thought of reviewing movies based on whether or not you'd release the kracken on it or spare them the kracken
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 4:37pm

Mr_eX wrote:
kenzo wrote:That said, I enjoyed Ryan Scott's breakdown of Release the Kraken throughly.

He should review a different movie every week. If only there was some sort of geekbox movie club that would pick a new movie every week.

Shameless self-promotion plug inserted!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 5:04pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:

Shameless self-promotion plug inserted!

Come now, Jinpei! You know this would be an excellent idea. I'm gonna endorse this too. Ryan! Are you reading this?? Do iiiiiit... Geekbox, Moviebox, A/V Club, whatever you wanna call it should happen on the podcast.
kenzo

Postby Natto » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 5:29pm

I like to draw stuff.
Natto

Postby kenzo » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 5:37pm

^I lul'd
kenzo

Postby tino » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 5:50pm

OK, first time poster here.

After hearing Karen discounting the podcast a couple times in this episode, I had to register an account.

I don't know about the other listeners here, but I believe I speak for a lot of people when I say I listen to this podcast because I consider it good. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have listened to every episode there is. I can't say the same for any of the other ex-GFW member's podcasts. As a matter of fact I don't even keep them on my regular gaming podcast rotation.

Chemistry is one thing very important to a great podcast. Ryan Scott is much more comfortable in his own podcast than the 1up podcasts. And he is able to surround himself with very interesting characters in the show. IMO one of his quality I enjoy the most is that he is able to build a insulator inner geekdom separated from his work/business. The rest of the cast also share a similar character which make it a very good podcast. There are other reasons but I don't want to list them now (don't want to jinx it).

I have listened to many many gaming podcasts starting from the Gaming Steve days (my god the memories). Guys, don't shortchange yourself. You guys have a top quality gaming podcast. Forget this tiering non-sense.

My usual habitat is in teh GAF and I seldom step out of my comfort zones. But I couldn't help on this topic and had to put in my two cents.
tino

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 5:54pm

kenzo wrote:Come now, Jinpei! You know this would be an excellent idea. I'm gonna endorse this too. Ryan! Are you reading this?? Do iiiiiit... Geekbox, Moviebox, A/V Club, whatever you wanna call it should happen on the podcast.

If Ryan doesn't review the Geekbox movie of the week every week I say we riot.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 5:58pm

tino wrote:OK, first time poster here.

After hearing Karen discounting the podcast a couple times in this episode, I had to register an account.

I don't know about the other listeners here, but I believe I speak for a lot of people when I say I listen to this podcast because I consider it good. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have listened to every episode there is. I can't say the same for any of the other ex-GFW member's podcasts. As a matter of fact I don't even keep them on my regular gaming podcast rotation.

Chemistry is one thing very important to a great podcast. Ryan Scott is much more comfortable in his own podcast than the 1up podcasts. And he is able to surround himself with very interesting characters in the show. IMO one of his quality I enjoy the most is that he is able to build a insulator inner geekdom separated from his work/business. The rest of the cast also share a similar character which make it a very good podcast. There are other reasons but I don't want to list them now (don't want to jinx it).

I have listened to many many gaming podcasts starting from the Gaming Steve days (my god the memories). Guys, don't shortchange yourself. You guys have a top quality gaming podcast. Forget this tiering non-sense.

My usual habitat is in teh GAF and I seldom step out of my comfort zones. But I couldn't help on this topic and had to put in my two cents.

I agree. Geekbox is one of the few consistently good podcasts, its a million times better than every other ex-GFW members podcasts with the exception of Robert Ashley.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby IMLabman » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 6:13pm

Mr_eX wrote:
kenzo wrote:Come now, Jinpei! You know this would be an excellent idea. I'm gonna endorse this too. Ryan! Are you reading this?? Do iiiiiit... Geekbox, Moviebox, A/V Club, whatever you wanna call it should happen on the podcast.

If Ryan doesn't review the Geekbox movie of the week every week I say we riot.

Agreed! If not, it's all-out war: we go to the mattresses.
IMLabman

Postby Dargonaut » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 6:59pm

GhaleonQ wrote:I suppose I'll defend the guys here, too.

Yeah, you have said basically everything that needs be said on this matter (don't think you executed so well on that GAF thread, though :) ). I found Jesse's explanation informative, as well.

JJGO is a quality show whose funniness relies on quality guests. The PA dudes were clearly expecting something else and not in the frame of mind for a comedy show. I'm still not sure if I'm going to listen to that episode.

The thing that got me was how they made such a big deal about Jesse recording in his house in their news post and on Twitter. I think what Jesse does is pretty rad and pretty sensible. Somehow their superiority rests on their rental of office space? They deserve to have their voices recorded in a fancy studio?

I'm disappointed that Karen didn't seek out the whole story because this happened a while ago.
Dargonaut

Postby AJR » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 7:28pm

I found it a little odd that Karen used JJG as a launch pad to talk about how much effort it takes to make a good podcast. I’m not a fan of the show, but I’ve heard time and time again that Jesse has worked hard to where he is.

Mr_eX wrote:I agree. Geekbox is one of the few consistently good podcasts, its a million times better than every other ex-GFW members podcasts with the exception of Robert Ashley.

I really like the Irrational Games podcast that Shawn does. I guess it’s mainly production work on his end, but it’s the first developer podcast I’ve listened to that I’ve really liked.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby jax » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 8:26pm

why is karen so down on the quality of the podcast? Mediocre?

I like the geekbox podcast a lot. This, weekend confirmed, playerone and bombcast are the only ones I listen to.

anyhow @ the 7 minute mark now.
jax

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 8:51pm

jax wrote:why is karen so down on the quality of the podcast? Mediocre?

I like the geekbox podcast a lot. This, weekend confirmed, playerone and bombcast are the only ones I listen to.

anyhow @ the 7 minute mark now.

Because it's cool and funny to say you produce low quality shit. It makes you look humble.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Pele » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 8:57pm

It's a shame that the Penny Arcade thing is giving Jordan Jesse Go such a bad rap, over what was essentially a booking misunderstanding (originally, the Penny Arcade handlers wanted Mike and Jerry to appear on The Sound of Young America, which is Jesse Thorn's proper interview program -- Jordan Jesse Go is Jesse's silly, pal-around and talk-about-nonsense program).

Jesse's a really sweet guy, and there's no way he was trying to "disrespect" Penny Arcade. In the end, I think both parties were just expecting the wrong interaction from one another: Mike and Jerry wanted a serious interview and exposure for their book tour, Jordan and Jesse wanted some funny guys to shoot the shit with them for an hour. Mistakes were made.

Honestly, when I first saw Jesse in that Penny Arcade strip, I was excited that two of my favorite internet presences were teaming up. But then when I read Jerry's blog post for the strip, I was incredibly bummed out by how offended he sounded.

I guess what they say about your heroes is true.

They, uh, should never meet each other. Or something.
Pele

Postby Konanda » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 9:01pm

shadyjohnson wrote: but your podcast is much better than the Rebel FM podcast. Don't be so self hating.

This is true.

I'm all for a little self-deprecating humor but too much and it can just be kind of a bummer.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Next
Forum Statistics