Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 61

Postby Bobloblaw » Apr 14th, 2010 @ 9:26pm

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Because it's cool and funny to say you produce low quality shit. It makes you look humble.

I don't think she was trying to be funny. It sounded like her actual opinion. From I certain standpoint, I agree with her. In terms of production value, it is probably a C. Fortunately, production value has nothing to do with why I like the Geekbox.
Bobloblaw

Postby kenzo » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 12:25am

tino wrote:My usual habitat is in teh GAF and I seldom step out of my comfort zones. But I couldn't help on this topic and had to put in my two cents.

Welcome to the forums, tino! Feel free to pop in at any time and lay our two cents out, it's always interesting to read new perspectives (even if your 'new' perspective on this subject is exactly the same as mine =).

IMLabman wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:If Ryan doesn't review the Geekbox movie of the week every week I say we riot.

Agreed! If not, it's all-out war: we go to the mattresses.

I think rioting is a little extreme. But I will be totally down with some moody pouting and some back-handed complements hidden among random forum posts. =) Also, I don't want just a Ryan Scott-diatribe. I'd like to hear the opinions at least one other podcaster, if not all of them.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that The Geekbox is better than A Life Well Wasted. That's right, I said it, and I won't take it back. There's definitely an argument to be made that getting one pretty good podcast every week is way better than getting one supremely awesome podcast every 12 weeks (on average). I've had over a steady year of weekly uplifts that are priceless compared to a couple of, at times, overly esoteric and heady podcasts that can occasionally lack focus.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 6:16am

kenzo wrote:I think rioting is a little extreme. But I will be totally down with some moody pouting and some back-handed complements hidden among random forum posts. =) Also, I don't want just a Ryan Scott-diatribe. I'd like to hear the opinions at least one other podcaster, if not all of them.

If this doesn't start happening we literally set the forums on fire. I'm not sure how to go about doing that yet but I'm working on it.

Well Ryan is the one most likely to actually watch the movie as its a well known fact that he prefers staying at home and doing nothing than going out but if the others watch it they should throw their opinions in there too.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jax » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 7:24am

I don't what they mean about production quality. I listen to podcasts for the opinions. Don't need no stupid music overlays + break tunes.. etc. I listened to some podcast the other day and it had a worked up music intro which wasn't too bad but then the chatter was just braindead.

Anyhow, I also think Karen meant what she said. It was just so disparaging imo. I mean they put time into this week after week and somehow you throw a word like mediocre on it? I think Ryan sounded a bit hurt after.

anyhow. 2cents.

btw this and her rude food eating on the podcast (hey its disgusting to hear someone chew away).. well there.
jax

Postby nukethewhales » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 7:26am

I hate that I have to defend Jordan Jesse Go again. A lot of what happened is really because of people talking about podcasts or appearing on podcasts which they had never listened to. It was a simple misunderstanding of the format. For example, if Robert Ashly had Gabe and Tycho as guests for a piece on their show, they and we shouldn't expect it to be an interview about their new book. That's not the format of the show.

Likewise, if Gabe and Tycho were on The Geekbox and it was just an interview show where they come on to talk about their book, it wouldn't necessarily be a good episode of The Geekbox. It might be a good interview but not a good episode of The Geekbox. For me, at least, Geekbox is where geeks get together and talk about games, comics, movies and TV. You guys have guests (non-regulars) come in and give opinions and tell some stories but its a conversation, not an interview. That's what you guys do and, despite what you guys say, you're very good at it.

The Jordan Jesse Go podcast is the same way. Only there is no real topic. Usually its just people coming in and talking about random things in a funny way. That's why a lot of their guests are comedians because they can quickly turn any random subject into a series of jokes. A lot of comedy podcasts have a similar format. Comedy Deathray, Never Not Funny, and The Nerdist podcasts are all hosted by comedians. Their guests are usually comedians. And it's almost never an interview style show where the guest has something to promote. Usually its more conversational.
nukethewhales

Postby Bobloblaw » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 8:31am

I believe the point was with guests the caliber of Mike and Jerry the show hosts should have catered more to whatever style worked for the guests. Even if it means breaking the normal format of the podcast.
Bobloblaw

Postby bayfield » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 8:41am

jax wrote:btw this and her rude food eating on the podcast (hey its disgusting to hear someone chew away).. well there.

call me slow but i just got the whole Karen Chu = Karen Chew joke i read like months ago.
"It's a rockstar vatican assassin torpedo of truth sent by a warlock" - KindGalaxy
bayfield

Postby lemon-fresh » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 8:43am

Konanda wrote:
shadyjohnson wrote: but your podcast is much better than the Rebel FM podcast. Don't be so self hating.

This is true.

I'm all for a little self-deprecating humor but too much and it can just be kind of a bummer.

I disagree, the moment that geekbox starts doing more relationship stuff it will be back on par with rebel. Geeky relationship letters are the shiet!
lemon-fresh

Postby nukethewhales » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 9:30am

Bobloblaw wrote:I believe the point was with guests the caliber of Mike and Jerry the show hosts should have catered more to whatever style worked for the guests. Even if it means breaking the normal format of the podcast.

Or maybe, Mike and Jerry's publicist should have made show they knew and were comfortable with the type of show they were going to be on.
nukethewhales

Postby Dargonaut » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 10:07am

If they were really guests of a high "caliber" they would have gone with the flow of the show.

Or at least figured out, "Hey! This isn't an interview."
Last edited by Dargonaut on Apr 15th, 2010 @ 10:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Dargonaut

Postby LiQuid » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 10:07am

I can't believe Ryan Scott hasn't ever seen the OG Clash of the Titans. LiQuid! am sad. :(

I'm still mid-rant, but most of the stuff he is describing was pretty close to the original. The plot was just as hokey back then.
LiQuid

Postby rwiggum » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 10:20am

I have to say, I'm really sad to hear you call Jordan, Jesse Go "the worst podcast ever." I've been listening for about a year now and it's consistently one of the funniest shows I listen to. Jesse Thorn (the host of The Sound of Young America, a.k.a. a pretty legitimate broadcaster) and Jordan Morris are extremely smart and funny guys. Their shtick might be hard to pick up on at first (I had a lot of trouble with the first couple of episodes I listened to), but once you start to get into the groove it's fantastic. If you want to give it a second chance, I would recommend the recent episode with Chris Hardwick, the host of G4's Web Soup, a regular on Attack of the Show and one of the funniest/smartest nerds/stand-up comedians around. They are very much on the same wavelength as each other and have some great riffs. There is a reason that Jesse Thorn didn't initially want to release the episode with the Penny Arcade guys: It wasn't very good. He didn't want a poor episode with two standoffish guests who didn't want to join in to give people a bad view of the show, and judging from your reaction, with good reason.

Bobloblaw wrote:I believe the point was with guests the caliber of Mike and Jerry the show hosts should have catered more to whatever style worked for the guests. Even if it means breaking the normal format of the podcast.

I patently disagree. It isn't like Mike and Jerry are these golden gods doing a favor for some no-name podcaster. Jesse Thorn has had FAR bigger guests on his other show, The Sound of Young America. As someone mentioned before, they had Nick Hornby on one episode of JJGo, and he was fantastic. Even though he had a book to promote, he understood that it was a different kind of show, and he played along and let loose like I never expected he could. They were recently on The Adam Carolla Podcast and it was great. All three of them were on the same wavelength and were riffing off one another. If a guest goes on a podcast to find that it isn't what they expect, they could at least try, rather than clamming up and refusing to play along.

Bottom line: Don't judge it by the terrible "lost episode." Go listen to the Chris Hardwick episode instead. It's great.
rwiggum

Postby GiantAsianMan » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 11:20am

LiQuid wrote:I can't believe Ryan Scott hasn't ever seen the OG Clash of the Titans. LiQuid! am sad. :(

I'm still mid-rant, but most of the stuff he is describing was pretty close to the original. The plot was just as hokey back then.

It may seem hokey in hindsight (because it is), but at the time it was released back in 1981, I doubt it was seen that way (though I couldn't tell you for certain because, well, I had just been born). Its not a knock against a movie when it becomes hokey over time; its only a problem when it seems hokey right when its released.

And despite its hokey-ness, Ryan Scott, you have to get on seeing the original Clash of the Titans. Very disappointing.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby dabeast0976 » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 11:32am

GiantAsianMan wrote:And despite its hokey-ness, Ryan Scott, you have to get on seeing the original Clash of the Titans. Very disappointing.

I find it hard to believe that someone my age has not yet seen the original. For shame Ryan Scott!!! For Shame!!!
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby Bboy_Izilla » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 12:38pm

-The Original Clash Of The Titans is garbage. Which is why I marginally enjoyed the remake.

-Karen Chu kinda went a little hard on the show, but really. I'm not mad at her. She didn't say anything I thought was outlandish...it was just harsh. Harsh always okay in my book.

-I don't watch Lost, but I don't mind it when the group talks about it. My lady's ears perk up every time. When The Shield or Wire conversation pop up...let me know.

Seacrest Out
Bboy_Izilla

Postby LiQuid » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 12:49pm

rwiggum wrote:Bottom line: Don't judge it by the terrible "lost episode." Go listen to the Chris Hardwick episode instead. It's great.

Did this on your insistence and due to boredom and you're right. When the guest isn't being all pissy and jabbing at the hosts and everybody is having a lot of fun they bounce a lot of good, funny banter around. The PA episode was indeed awful, and painful to listen to, but I think that was solely on Gabe
LiQuid

Postby dabeast0976 » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 1:02pm

Bboy_Izilla wrote:-The Original Clash Of The Titans is garbage. Which is why I marginally enjoyed the remake.

Okay, and how old are you again? I don't just ask that because i think your assessment is juvenile, but it helps with the explanation. I can understand the response if you were brought up with slick CGI, but when this came out in 1981 it helped to capture the imaginations of a lot of youngsters, myself included. This is Ray Harryhausen doing some great work. If you don't know who that is look him up. He is the granddaddy of SFX.

Last edited by dabeast0976 on Apr 15th, 2010 @ 1:06pm, edited 4 times in total.
dabeast0976

Postby dabeast0976 » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 1:03pm

Bboy_Izilla wrote: Seacrest Out

Yeah...no.
dabeast0976

Postby Bobloblaw » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 1:33pm

dabeast0976 wrote:This is Ray Harryhausen doing some great work. If you don't know who that is look him up. He is the granddaddy of SFX.

I <3 Harryhausen.

Bobloblaw

Postby rwiggum » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 1:43pm

LiQuid wrote:
rwiggum wrote:Bottom line: Don't judge it by the terrible "lost episode." Go listen to the Chris Hardwick episode instead. It's great.

Did this on your insistence and due to boredom and you're right. When the guest isn't being all pissy and jabbing at the hosts and everybody is having a lot of fun they bounce a lot of good, funny banter around. The PA episode was indeed awful, and painful to listen to, but I think that was solely on Gabe

I'm glad you liked it!
rwiggum

Postby LiQuid » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 2:06pm

The courtroom stuff at the end was priceless. I didn't hear who they had phone in to play the judge, but he was hilarious.
LiQuid

Postby James-Kond » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 2:16pm

Konanda wrote:
shadyjohnson wrote: but your podcast is much better than the Rebel FM podcast. Don't be so self hating.

This is true.

I'm all for a little self-deprecating humor but too much and it can just be kind of a bummer.

What are we even talking about here? Ugh, Rebel.fm is the shit and relation letter make my fucking world, but hey I already said that, also I have been watching to much Breaking Bad, does it so?
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby Hellsfire » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 2:40pm

I agree with Karen.

Thanks for spoiling two shitty movies for me, Scott. Now I'm never going to watch those movies.
Hellsfire

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 5:08pm

Bboy_Izilla wrote:-The Original Clash Of The Titans is garbage. Which is why I marginally enjoyed the remake.

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bobloblaw » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 6:49pm

You are getting a lot of use out of that gif Mr_eX. :lol:
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 7:25pm

When it stops being awesome I'll stop using it.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Konanda » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 7:39pm

James-Kond wrote:
Konanda wrote:

This is true.

What are we even talking about here?quote]

We are talking about how The Geekbox is better than Rebel FM.

Although that was quite a long time ago friend.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby buttle » Apr 15th, 2010 @ 8:08pm

rwiggum wrote:There is a reason that Jesse Thorn didn't initially want to release the episode with the Penny Arcade guys: It wasn't very good. He didn't want a poor episode with two standoffish guests who didn't want to join in to give people a bad view of the show, and judging from your reaction, with good reason.

I'll only say that I did find it very funny! but I assume it's not the normal humor for the show. I've only listened to the one episode. but mike was absolutely hilarious! And I felt like he was playing along as best as he could. He was changing subjects randomly while ignoring jesse. just like jesse was doing to him.

And what makes penny arcade funny is their directness and honesty towards crazy situations. And then putting a fun spin on it. And I think that that's just what they did in that interview.
buttle

Postby Pele » Apr 16th, 2010 @ 1:31am

LiQuid wrote:The courtroom stuff at the end was priceless. I didn't hear who they had phone in to play the judge, but he was hilarious.

Judge John Hodgman, you mean!

Definitely one of the best "recurring segments" of JJGo.
Pele

Postby Raine » Apr 16th, 2010 @ 5:04am

I'm tired of all the dick licking that people give Robert Ashely for A Life Well Wasted. It's a good listen, don't get me wrong, but it's not the end all be all of podcasts. I think people are so used to the four guys talking format that they're all like "OMG! Editing!" and splooge all over themselves. If Mr. Ashely had some funding and was doing these things on a regular basis I think they'd go from "good" to "great", but he doesn't and he can't. So, I might be the only one, but I think Geekbox is a better podcast.

Giant Bomb still beats it out though. Can't win 'em all.

Oh, and Retronauts. Still, third place ain't bad.
Raine

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics