Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 62

Postby Rydog » Apr 20th, 2010 @ 5:44pm

This week, the three-man nerd band of Scott, Fitch, and Higgins strikes again. Hopefully I can get someone cool on the podcast next week to talk about Doctor Who with me. Sheesh! :)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 62

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 20th, 2010 @ 6:16pm

Was the Kraken released?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby DamonS23 » Apr 20th, 2010 @ 6:43pm

I wish you guys would post the episodes sooner. By the time my itunes starts downloading them the new lost episode has started on the east coast and central.
DamonS23

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 20th, 2010 @ 6:55pm

DamonS23 wrote:I wish you guys would post the episodes sooner. By the time my itunes starts downloading them the new lost episode has started on the east coast and central.

They're not spoilers, they're recaps. :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 20th, 2010 @ 7:07pm

DamonS23 wrote:I wish you guys would post the episodes sooner. By the time my itunes starts downloading them the new lost episode has started on the east coast and central.

Whine, whine, whine.

What difference does it make? They record on Monday night, so they're already behind a week. And you can always watch/listen to either later.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby DamonS23 » Apr 20th, 2010 @ 9:25pm

I know they aren't spoilers I just like to listen to what they think is going to happen before the new lost episode and by the time a new GB is posted I have already been watching lost for about ten minutes no whining :D .
DamonS23

Postby IcarusII » Apr 20th, 2010 @ 10:16pm

Karen and Mike are scheming together. They're going to create their own podcast together with Patrick Joint. Two Asians and an honorary Asian.
IcarusII

Postby cool_wizard » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 2:25am

Yeah I was really looking forward to hearing more about 3d-dot game heroes, saw ryans name mentioned in ign review to come out and then I was like.. WOAH! they better be talking about this game next episode!

Kinda suprised thought that none of the other people on the podcast knew about the game though. hmm..
cool_wizard

Postby kenzo » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 3:26am

Quick thoughts:
-Candlestick is a dump: It's hard to get to, the stadium is ancient, and nobody wants to get shot while walking around Hunter's Point.
-As much as you three guys are self-deprecating about it being a boring podcast, I enjoy the episodes. It's like a guy's night out, but in podcast form: kind of shitty in one sense because it's a sausage fest, but awesome because you can cut loose, act stupid, and of course, fart & be lewd to your heart's content.
-The next podcast better talk about Night of the Creeps or Re-Animator next week! :evil:
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 3:39am

Rydog wrote:Hopefully I can get someone cool on the podcast next week to talk about Doctor Who with me. Sheesh! :)

There is absolutely NO reason why every Geekbox cast member shouldn't be watching Doctor Who.
LiQuid

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 4:31am

kenzo wrote:-As much as you three guys are self-deprecating about it being a boring podcast, I enjoy the episodes. It's like a guy's night out, but in podcast form: kind of shitty in one sense because it's a sausage fest, but awesome because you can cut loose, act stupid, and of course, fart & be lewd to your heart's content.

Karen is pretty lewd. After that anal sex discharge thing she can no longer complain about the content of the podcast.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 4:33am

LiQuid wrote:
Rydog wrote:Hopefully I can get someone cool on the podcast next week to talk about Doctor Who with me. Sheesh! :)

There is absolutely NO reason why every Geekbox cast member shouldn't be watching Doctor Who.

Agreed. Do a Netflix party with Geekbox hosts and some users and force them to watch it Ryan. You can watch all the seasons and some of the specials streaming.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby LiQuid » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 4:40am

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Karen is pretty lewd. After that anal sex discharge thing she can no longer complain about the content of the podcast.

That was santorum, by the way. Not sure if anyone ever said it in that episode's thread. I was a big fan of Dan Savage back when I went out often enough to pick up an Onion every week.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 4:51am

LiQuid wrote:
BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:
kenzo wrote:-As much as you three guys are self-deprecating about it being a boring podcast, I enjoy the episodes. It's like a guy's night out, but in podcast form: kind of shitty in one sense because it's a sausage fest, but awesome because you can cut loose, act stupid, and of course, fart & be lewd to your heart's content.

Karen is pretty lewd. After that anal sex discharge thing she can no longer complain about the content of the podcast.
That was santorum, by the way. Not sure if anyone ever said it in that episode's thread. I was a big fan of Dan Savage back when I went out often enough to pick up an Onion every week.

I guess I was less saying that they're free to be more lewd, and more trying to relate it to the stereotypical guys' night out. Instead of being lewd, drinking too much, and acting stupid, they're free to be even bigger nerds/geeks/dorks.
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 5:44am

kenzo wrote:I guess I was less saying that they're free to be more lewd, and more trying to relate it to the stereotypical guys' night out. Instead of being lewd, drinking too much, and acting stupid, they're free to be even bigger nerds/geeks/dorks.

I see what you're saying, and I agree with that.

Side note, I want Higgins to do a comic podcast.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Fallen_Angel » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 7:33am

MOAR FOOTBALL (SOCCER) TALK!!!
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 7:52am

If they can talk about sports than they can also talk about wrestling, or anything you hate that they discuss.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Fallen_Angel » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 8:04am

I don't mind most of what they talk about but seriously FUCK wrestling
Last edited by Fallen_Angel on Apr 21st, 2010 @ 12:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby futhamucka » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 11:48am

Ryan (H) mentioned that he thought Kick-Ass was an NC-17 that was cut to a 'hard' R rating. I found it pretty interesting then that it's rated 15 in England.

The US usually is more tolerant of violence than anywhere else, but apparently the US censors can't separate fantasy from reality.

P.S. I have no interest in seeing the movie, I just thought this was a good talking point.
futhamucka

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 12:28pm

kenzo wrote:-The next podcast better talk about Night of the Creeps or Re-Animator next week! :evil:

Shameless self-promoting plug in this week's show thread inserted!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 12:45pm

Fallen_Angel wrote:MOAR FOOTBALL (SOCCER) TALK!!!

Yeah, it's not particularly nerdy, but with the World Cup coming up (yesssssss) it would be exciting to hear, but with Fitch being the only fan (if he even a fan, or just reviewing for a paycheck?) it wouldn't be very involving.

I'm WAY on board for all the dudes watching Doctor Who though! I agree completely that the first episode of the newest season was a GREAT first episode to watch. Not only was it not complicated or hard to follow at all, especially giving the prolific lineage of the series, but it actually spurred me into checking out more of the show, so now I'm watching both from the start of the 2005 reboot, and season 5 at the same time, and since it's mostly episodic, I'm not much worse for the wear.
LiQuid

Postby Jaebird » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 2:07pm

In response to their little discussion about audio dramas, I'm pimping the website Graphic Audio: http://www.graphicaudio.net/

They do all kinds of cool shows, and even done a bunch of DC-related stuff. They even adapted 52 and Crisis on Infinite Earths, which is awesome: http://www.graphicaudio.net/c-6-dc-comics.aspx
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby GiantAsianMan » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 3:17pm

LiQuid wrote:I'm WAY on board for all the dudes watching Doctor Who though! I agree completely that the first episode of the newest season was a GREAT first episode to watch. Not only was it not complicated or hard to follow at all, especially giving the prolific lineage of the series, but it actually spurred me into checking out more of the show, so now I'm watching both from the start of the 2005 reboot, and season 5 at the same time, and since it's mostly episodic, I'm not much worse for the wear.

I'm in the same boat. I had seen random episodes here and there (my brother's a big fan), but I never watched it regularly. I watched the Season 5 premiere (and the two episodes that have already aired in the UK, because it was so good) and I a)will definitely keep watching this season and b)will be catching up with the rest of the (rebooted) series sometime over the summer.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby kenzo » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 3:26pm

jinpei05 wrote:
kenzo wrote:-The next podcast better talk about Night of the Creeps or Re-Animator next week! :evil:

Self-promoting? Really? I didn't make this up, Mr_eX did. And this doesn't promote me, but The Geekbox's own forums.
kenzo

Postby xqwzts » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 3:53pm

Did Fitch just predicted the ending of lost?

xqwzts

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 4:30pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:

Self-promoting? Really? I didn't make this up, Mr_eX did. And this doesn't promote me, but The Geekbox's own forums.

Sorry, I got you mixed up with Mr_eX. All you crackers look the same to me...
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 6:03pm

jinpei05 wrote:Sorry, I got you mixed up with Mr_eX. All you crackers look the same to me...

Crackers? I'm Asian... =\
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 8:05pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Sorry, I got you mixed up with Mr_eX. All you crackers look the same to me...

Crackers? I'm Asian... =\

LOL. Casual racism fail. Nice.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby AJR » Apr 21st, 2010 @ 11:04pm

futhamucka wrote:Ryan (H) mentioned that he thought Kick-Ass was an NC-17 that was cut to a 'hard' R rating. I found it pretty interesting then that it's rated 15 in England.

The US usually is more tolerant of violence than anywhere else, but apparently the US censors can't separate fantasy from reality.

P.S. I have no interest in seeing the movie, I just thought this was a good talking point.

I think it's at least partially to do with the fact that there's no rating between PG-13 and R. If a film is too violent for a PG-13 rating, it gets bumped staight up to an R rating, whereas here in Australia (and in the UK) we have a 15+ rating that allows an additional option. Also; in the US you can watch R rated films when accompanied by an adult, whereas in the UK and in Australia, it's strictly 18+ only.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby Lord Korax » Apr 22nd, 2010 @ 1:17am

I hate you, Higgins!

I work evenings, and had just closed up and started walking to the nearby bus stop when you started talking about Lost. It's just after midnight, and I'm walking through a dark neighborhood when you did your imitation of the island whispers, which freaked me the fuck out and kept me unnerved until I reached a main, well-lit street.

Son of a bitch.
Lord Korax

Next
Forum Statistics