Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby Rydog » May 5th, 2010 @ 6:16pm

To commemorate this week's episode, I'd like to award Caltrain (one of the California Bay Area's mass transit services) the Geekbox Award for Stupidest Company Ever.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby The__Doctor » May 5th, 2010 @ 7:32pm

Lost spoiler
Spoiler: show
ImageKate getting shot.


For ryan
Last edited by The__Doctor on May 6th, 2010 @ 12:39am, edited 2 times in total.
The__Doctor
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Nov 26th, 2009 @ 1:56am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby kenzo » May 5th, 2010 @ 11:54pm

Seriously? More Avatar? Dead horse is already dead.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby Lombaszko » May 6th, 2010 @ 6:58am

The__Doctor wrote:Lost spoiler
Spoiler: show
ImageBetter Version.


For ryan
Lombaszko
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 3:53am
Location: Boston

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby jw_6179 » May 6th, 2010 @ 8:01am

Karen is terrible. Her arguments are awful too.

She switches from "Oh? The Seventh Samurai is the best picture ever? Where was this listed? AFI?" as though she'd be impressed by that. Then, she finds out it's someone's opinion and she writes it off. However, not two minutes later, she makes the argument that the Oscars don't matter, and that "Who cares what the Oscars say?"

Fucking terrible stance.
jw_6179
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Aug 25th, 2009 @ 3:28am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby Lombaszko » May 6th, 2010 @ 9:36am

Legend of Zelda on Hulu. Oh man, I love that they have sound effects from the actual game.
Lombaszko
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 3:53am
Location: Boston

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 6th, 2010 @ 9:38am

Clue is widely underrated.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan
User avatar
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 9:20pm
Location: West Chester, Ohio

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby Bboy_Izilla » May 6th, 2010 @ 10:23am

So Karen likes Avatar...why get bent out of shape about it? I hated it, but I see why people liked it. I can only hope that Karen can see why someone couldn't make it 45 minutes into Avatar [which is quite an achievement]. Some people prefer visuals over dialogue.

-As a call back to an earlier reference in the podcast. You marry an unintelligent woman who is visually beautiful and chances are in your twilight years you will regret it.

You marry an intellectually stimulating woman who may not be 'all that' in the looks department and you will still have something to talk about in the future.

I'm Wondering How Avatar Will Age
Bboy_Izilla
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Feb 2nd, 2010 @ 8:11am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby LiQuid » May 6th, 2010 @ 10:27am

I'm Wondering Why You Capitalized Every Word In Your Closing Statement.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby LiQuid » May 6th, 2010 @ 10:31am

LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby Bboy_Izilla » May 6th, 2010 @ 10:32am

To see if Milwaukee citizens will have nosebleeds from reading.
Bboy_Izilla
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Feb 2nd, 2010 @ 8:11am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 6th, 2010 @ 10:35am


Neil Patrick Harris is also starring in The Smurfs movie (he's a live-action character, not a voice), so there is some promise. Some.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan
User avatar
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 9:20pm
Location: West Chester, Ohio

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby kenzo » May 6th, 2010 @ 11:45am

jw_6179 wrote:Karen is terrible. Her arguments are awful too.

She switches from "Oh? The Seventh Samurai is the best picture ever? Where was this listed? AFI?" as though she'd be impressed by that. Then, she finds out it's someone's opinion and she writes it off. However, not two minutes later, she makes the argument that the Oscars don't matter, and that "Who cares what the Oscars say?"

Fucking terrible stance.

A.) It's not a 'fucking terrible stance' to make fun of someone for having an 'opinion' on something that they're not qualified to talk about, since they haven't experienced it (Ryan Scott is ripping on something he didn't see all the way, and didn't see the way it was meant to be seen: in 3D). He also said 3D is just like the PlayStation Move (something he's not qualified to talk about yet either).

B.) Seven Samurai, my friend. Which leads me to believe you weren't fully paying attention to what was being said.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby eddnerd » May 6th, 2010 @ 12:01pm

Thanks to the human caterpillar talk, I am now about to vomit. Love the podcast!!
eddnerd
 
Posts: 1
Joined: May 6th, 2010 @ 12:00pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby Bboy_Izilla » May 6th, 2010 @ 12:41pm

kenzo wrote:
jw_6179 wrote:Karen is terrible. Her arguments are awful too.

She switches from "Oh? The Seventh Samurai is the best picture ever? Where was this listed? AFI?" as though she'd be impressed by that. Then, she finds out it's someone's opinion and she writes it off. However, not two minutes later, she makes the argument that the Oscars don't matter, and that "Who cares what the Oscars say?"

Fucking terrible stance.

A.) It's not a 'fucking terrible stance' to make fun of someone for having an 'opinion' on something that they're not qualified to talk about, since they haven't experienced it (Ryan Scott is ripping on something he didn't see all the way, and didn't see the way it was meant to be seen: in 3D). He also said 3D is just like the PlayStation Move (something he's not qualified to talk about yet either).



I partially agree with ya on the 'fucking terrible stance'-thing. Karen was just trying to understand why Ryan's hate was so powerful towards Avatar & subsequently 3D after seeing forty-five minutes of the movie, especially since she [and people like her] love it so much.

That being said, I f&@king wish I would have walked out of the theater within 45 minutes knowing now what I 'should' have known then. True, the 'true' way of watching Avatar [if you have to] is in IMAX 3D, however, Avatar is still a bad movie. I'm not hating fun. I'm hating this movie. An almost three hour comedy where the 'bad guy' is consistently referencing getting the protagonists 'legs back', but you never see said legs...come back.

If you put a turd on top of a billion dollars and render it in specialized 3D...are you not looking at a fancy piece of crap?

Sidenote: I will say to Ryan that there is a difference between the crap 3D that Hollywood has been shoehorning into movies [Final Destination, Coraline, Alice In Wonderland, Clash Of The Titans] and James Cameron's 3D tech. In that regard, that is the only reason why Avatar is worth watching...to see a crappy sci-fi movie done right.
Bboy_Izilla
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Feb 2nd, 2010 @ 8:11am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby Mr_eX » May 6th, 2010 @ 1:31pm

Higgins is right about pirating comics on the iPad but to be fair, most of the stuff people are pirating arn't available to buy digitally, so it's the only way to get it on the iPad. I hope theres an app some day thats basicly netflix for comics(like $15 a month for unlimited comic rentals).

Netflix on the iPad is better than Netflix on a laptop, for whatever reason the picture quality is way better. There are a couple episodes of Legend of the Seeker that have out of sync audio on 360 and PC but it works perfectly on the iPad.

As for books, you should use the Kindle app instead of iBook, it has over 400,000 books available and itunes only has 40,000. World War Z is the only one I bought so far but amazon has a bunch of free books and I grabbed a few of those too.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby lemon-fresh » May 6th, 2010 @ 2:02pm

kenzo wrote:
jw_6179 wrote:Karen is terrible. Her arguments are awful too.

She switches from "Oh? The Seventh Samurai is the best picture ever? Where was this listed? AFI?" as though she'd be impressed by that. Then, she finds out it's someone's opinion and she writes it off. However, not two minutes later, she makes the argument that the Oscars don't matter, and that "Who cares what the Oscars say?"

Fucking terrible stance.

A.) It's not a 'fucking terrible stance' to make fun of someone for having an 'opinion' on something that they're not qualified to talk about, since they haven't experienced it (Ryan Scott is ripping on something he didn't see all the way, and didn't see the way it was meant to be seen: in 3D). He also said 3D is just like the PlayStation Move (something he's not qualified to talk about yet either).

B.) Seven Samurai, my friend. Which leads me to believe you weren't fully paying attention to what was being said.


Agreed, I would also like to cite Ryan Scott and Assassins Creed 2.
lemon-fresh
User avatar
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 2:52pm
Location: Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby Mr_eX » May 6th, 2010 @ 2:22pm

Drag Me to Hell got really good reviews
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby slinkdickens » May 6th, 2010 @ 2:42pm

kenzo wrote:A.) It's not a 'fucking terrible stance' to make fun of someone for having an 'opinion' on something that they're not qualified to talk about, since they haven't experienced it (Ryan Scott is ripping on something he didn't see all the way, and didn't see the way it was meant to be seen: in 3D). He also said 3D is just like the PlayStation Move (something he's not qualified to talk about yet either).


People that bash other for not liking Avatar if they didn't see it in 3-D are tards. Last I checked, 3-D doesn't make the story any better.

I could understand criticizing someone if they said they didn't see the hype about Avatar's visuals but had not seen the movie in 3-D. But, if they're saying they didn't like it because the story is dumb, 3-D ain't helping.

For the record, I saw it in 3-D IMAX and all I got out of it was a sore ass and became $20 poorer. Avatar pretty much represents everything I hate in Hollywood.
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby Mr_eX » May 6th, 2010 @ 2:45pm

Most good action movies don't have good stories, why do people expect more from Avatar?
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby slinkdickens » May 6th, 2010 @ 2:50pm

Mr_eX wrote:Drag Me to Hell got really good reviews


Yeah, when they were talking about how all horror movies get bad reviews, I was immediately thinking of several that got good reviews. I'm not into horror, so I don't know of too many, but here are the ones I can think of:
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (the original one)
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    28 Days Later
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby Mr_eX » May 6th, 2010 @ 2:56pm

And Alien, Aliens, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead remake and probably Evil Dead 2
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby slinkdickens » May 6th, 2010 @ 3:11pm

Mr_eX wrote:Most good action movies don't have good stories, why do people expect more from Avatar?


Actually, every good action movie has a good story. Otherwise, the action is pointless and the movie becomes boring.

Let's take "Speed" as an example. That's about as mindless an action movie I can think of. That movie has plot holes big enough to drive its iconic bus through, but I'd say it has a good story because as crazy as the action is, it never devolves into becoming a wall banger.

I'll admit that I'm using "story" in it's most general sense, but a good story will allow the audience to suspend disbelief and, most importantly, care about what happens.
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby slinkdickens » May 6th, 2010 @ 3:13pm

Mr_eX wrote:And Alien, Aliens, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead remake and probably Evil Dead 2


Eh, I don't think Aliens or Evil Dead 2 count. Aliens is more a sci-fi action movie and Evil Dead 2 always came off as a dark comedy to me.
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby kenzo » May 6th, 2010 @ 3:29pm

slinkdickens wrote:People that bash other for not liking Avatar if they didn't see it in 3-D are tards. Last I checked, 3-D doesn't make the story any better.

I could understand criticizing someone if they said they didn't see the hype about Avatar's visuals but had not seen the movie in 3-D. But, if they're saying they didn't like it because the story is dumb, 3-D ain't helping.

In context of the podcast: nobody was defending the story. Karen Chu admitted, "we all know it's Ferngully, whatever." (paraphrasing) The whole point was that Avatar was a remarkable spectacle worth seeing, and a landmark in film making (thus the comparison Karen Chu made to Citizen Kane, and how she can appreciate the film without enjoying it).
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby jinpei05 » May 6th, 2010 @ 4:42pm

Ryan Scott gives the best summaries of movies ever.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby slinkdickens » May 6th, 2010 @ 5:38pm

kenzo wrote:
slinkdickens wrote:People that bash other for not liking Avatar if they didn't see it in 3-D are tards. Last I checked, 3-D doesn't make the story any better.

I could understand criticizing someone if they said they didn't see the hype about Avatar's visuals but had not seen the movie in 3-D. But, if they're saying they didn't like it because the story is dumb, 3-D ain't helping.

In context of the podcast: nobody was defending the story. Karen Chu admitted, "we all know it's Ferngully, whatever." (paraphrasing) The whole point was that Avatar was a remarkable spectacle worth seeing, and a landmark in film making (thus the comparison Karen Chu made to Citizen Kane, and how she can appreciate the film without enjoying it).


I thought about the Citizen Kane reference, too. That movie is held in such high esteem in large part because of its technical accomplishments. The difference, though, is that it's not a tech demo. The innovations used were storytelling innovations. All the tech in Avatar just made it easier to integrate 3D and CGI with live action. Nothing about the new tech made for a better or more interesting story.

In the context of the podcast, Ryan was bashing the movie because it was no more than a tech demo and Karen was praising it for being a tech demo. I guess it boils down to whether you think a tech demo is worth paying money to see or not.

BTW, from what I hear, Avatar is also the most impressive looking Blu Ray out.
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby SecretAsianMann » May 6th, 2010 @ 7:07pm

Funny that you guys mentioned Darth Vader at the Renaissance Fair. I've been to 9 consecutive Texas Renaissance Festivals, and during maybe the first 5 or so I would always see two guys walking around dressed as Stormtroopers. The last time I saw them, they were seriously getting harassed by security and were eventually thrown out while yelling about something. Never saw them again. I'll post pics if anyone's curious (and if I can find them).
SecretAsianMann
User avatar
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2009 @ 8:12pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby Luke » May 6th, 2010 @ 8:36pm

I'm typing this in a room where literally an entire wall of is full of shelves almost entirely full of Transformers toys, and even I disagree that Transformers holds up better than He-Man. I have them both of DVD, and I'm still slowly making my way through the He-Man sets, but Transformers I gave up on rewatching a couple of years ago. The acting is bad, and the animation is repetitive, but the art is so much better and there are actually a lot of good episodes. When it's lame and corny it's in the good way, not like Transformers, which is just cringe-worthy most of the time.

That's as far as I've gotten so far. I just had to share my outrage with the internets before continuing.
Luke
User avatar
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Feb 2nd, 2010 @ 10:57pm
Location: Virginia

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 64

Postby Bboy_Izilla » May 7th, 2010 @ 3:53am

If you're drawing parallels between Avatar and Aliens then you've lost. There was no competition here...and yet you still lost.
Bboy_Izilla
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Feb 2nd, 2010 @ 8:11am

Next
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron