Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 65

Postby Rydog » May 11th, 2010 @ 5:37pm

Greg Ford joins us for this week's episode -- hell yeah! Also, be sure to check out the Red Dead Redemption Unachievement contest that dabeast0976 and Mr_eX are cookin' up!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 65

Postby Mr_eX » May 11th, 2010 @ 6:23pm

Greg Ford!
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby KindGalaxy » May 11th, 2010 @ 8:01pm

Loved the comment from Karen about being old. Then she said Jumanji the Movie was 10 years old... it is actually 15 years old. Wonder if she feels a tad bit older now :lol: I saw that movie when I was 11 >>
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby Kajaah117 » May 11th, 2010 @ 11:27pm

Can somebody make a strong argument as to why the first Iron Man is better than the sequel? I have a feeling people have been blinded by their initial reaction to the first film that they forget it really wasn't that great.

I'm lazy so here's a copy and paste of my impressions from Philip Kolar's Facebook:

"I don't see how anyone could consider it worse than the first film. The first Iron Man didn't even have a script; it was filmed based on a very loose framework and it really shows in how poorly thought out the main villain was. Jeff Bridges did a great job playing the character, but that didn't change the fact that the character himself was boring and clichéd.

A lot of critics complained that Iron Man 2 focused too much on action and it lacked the character-based charm of the first.... what movie were they watching? I can't even recall that many action scenes. It was still predominately about Robert Downey Jr. delivering facetiously arrogant lines like the comedic genius he is.

The only negative I can think of - and only if I dig deep - is that the finale felt a little rushed. It was still a lot better than the Battlebots fight at the end of the first one. The most important thing though, is that Iron Man 2 was a lot more even than the first. The dialog was sharper, the pacing was tighter, the cast was bigger but the characters were put to better use - Pepper Potts wasn't a useless damsel in distress like she was in the first film - and the blend of humor and action was pitch-perfect.

At the end of the day it wasn't a super complex film that will go down in history like The Dark Knight or anything like that, but I haven't felt that good about a movie as I left the theater in a long time. Who knew Jon Favreau of all people would go on to make such a perfect piece of entertainment?"

Here's my stance on the big comic films and their sequels: Batman Begins > The Dark Knight, Spiderman 2 > Spiderman, and Iron Man 2 > Iron Man.
Kajaah117

Postby indieinsd » May 12th, 2010 @ 3:10am

I'm glad to hear the UNBREAKABLE love. That film still holds up well, and I really wish we could get more comic book films like that.
indieinsd

Postby Lombaszko » May 12th, 2010 @ 6:58am

KindGalaxy wrote:Loved the comment from Karen about being old. Then she said Jumanji the Movie was 10 years old... it is actually 15 years old. Wonder if she feels a tad bit older now :lol: I saw that movie when I was 11 >>

Parts of Jumanji were shot in Keene, NH where I went to college. It's weird they made a town square statue and "Parish Shoes" sign for the film and they still have them up in the town.

I know what Karen is talking about with the whole having all your experiences with you after the time travel. That is probably what is going to happen at the end of Lost. In the flash sideways some characters are starting to remember things from the island already and other characters (Eloise) seem to know exactly what went wrong on the island. This is just like Robin Williams and Bonnie Hunt in Jumanji only they were the only ones who held onto the memories. I always liked that they hired Judy and Peter's father to make sure he wouldn't die in the future.
Lombaszko

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 12th, 2010 @ 8:12am

Curious that Karen would mention Jumanji in the podcast; you know who directed Jumanji? Joe Johnston.

The Adam Sandler movie you guys are looking for is Reign Over Me.

And The Wire is awesome.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby shadyjohnson » May 12th, 2010 @ 8:52am

Speaking of Unbreakable. Has anyone heard the news of the lone survivor of the plane crash in Libya? Only a few broken bones . . .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... crash.html
Pro Lurker
shadyjohnson

Postby LiQuid » May 12th, 2010 @ 10:04am

I love how that article is only concerned with how many limeys were on board. I can't believe it was a kid that survived! That kid better kiss the fucking ground.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » May 12th, 2010 @ 10:54am

Everything Joe Johnston has directed

Captain America: The First Avenger
The Wolfman
Hidalgo (2004)
Jurassic Park III
October Sky
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones: Spring Break Adventure (1999)
Jumanji
The Pagemaster
"The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles"
- Princeton, February 1916
The Rocketeer
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jaebird » May 12th, 2010 @ 11:53am

Bringing up Frank Frazetta seemed like a dickish segway, in my opinion. :|
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby Bobloblaw » May 12th, 2010 @ 12:40pm

Jaebird wrote:Bringing up Frank Frazetta seemed like a dickish segway, in my opinion. :|

Maybe. Then again, he might have been thrilled that geeks noticed his passing.
Bobloblaw

Postby kenzo » May 12th, 2010 @ 1:14pm

OMG! Harry Potter theme park! So sick. Karen has to give us an update on that when/if she goes.

I would make a film about Metal Gear 2; I think the Oilix-schtick would work well to today's audiences. And screw a LotR-style Zelda; it's all about a LotR-style Suikoden.
kenzo

Postby Jon Cole » May 12th, 2010 @ 2:04pm

Really great episode... I like when you guys aren't totally down on movies that you talk about on the show. And having Greg back on is a bit refreshing - it's nice when guests drop in to stir things up a little.

And by the way, if you actually do find yourself in Orlando with any spare time, Karen, you should let me buy you a coffee or something! Never really get to make it out to any meetups on a college student's meager budget.

Also also! Since Ryan is bad at spoiler timestamps, you can find them on my CastMedium post.
Jon Cole

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 12th, 2010 @ 2:42pm

kenzo wrote:OMG! Harry Potter theme park! So sick. Karen has to give us an update on that when/if she goes.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Mr_eX » May 12th, 2010 @ 2:52pm

Justified is OK but its not great. Worth watching if you don't have anything better to watch though.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kevinep3 » May 12th, 2010 @ 3:21pm

Mr_eX wrote:Justified is OK but its not great. Worth watching if you don't have anything better to watch though.

i find it a nice little follow up show to lost, well that or deadlyest warrior. also greg ford said it was a 2004 plane well WRONG, it was a 2009 ajira plane sun and all them came on.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby Mr_eX » May 12th, 2010 @ 3:33pm

Actually it was 2008 when they came back to the island.

Justified is pretty good but it's not as good as Supernatural or Dexter or Spartacus 
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kevinep3 » May 12th, 2010 @ 3:37pm

Mr_eX wrote:Actually it was 2008 when they came back to the island.

Justified is pretty good but it's not as good as Supernatural or Dexter or Spartacus 

eh idc when it was it still wasnt 2008, and yes its not as good as those but i cant afford those chnls but dexter is amazing, its my #3 show of all time #1 being lost and #2 breaking bad
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby jw_6179 » May 13th, 2010 @ 2:14am

Know what "The Rocketeer" reminds me of?

Back in the first season of "MST3k", there were a series of serial shorts before the films with Captain Cody fighting the Moonanites. He had a rocket pack, a leather jacket (With nipple controls) and a bucket on his head with eye holes cut out. I want to say the Rocketeer had to be based on this serial. Does anyone else remember that? I just remember how corny it was, and the BIZARRE crap in it. I mean, in the 1950s, we knew the moon didn't have oxygen, right? ;p
jw_6179

Postby achickenchaser » May 13th, 2010 @ 2:44am

Not that I'm a giant fan of hers, but all the Kate hate gets old week in and week out. I'm finding myself hoping she makes it all the way to the end just to piss people off.
achickenchaser

Postby Bobloblaw » May 13th, 2010 @ 7:13am

achickenchaser wrote:Not that I'm a giant fan of hers, but all the Kate hate gets old week in and week out. I'm finding myself hoping she makes it all the way to the end just to piss people off.

There can never be enough Kate hate. I am rooting for a spectacularly pointless death.
Bobloblaw

Postby Huxley » May 13th, 2010 @ 7:15am

How can you talk about movies you are looking forward too and not mention Inception?!

Lost talk: I agree that Jin + Lapidus are alive. Remember Widmore kidnapped him because of the geology work he did for Dharma, mapping out the pockets of electromagnetism - or whatver it was. Im predicting that infomation + Zoe's expertise + Desmonds power = dead Smoke Monster. Also at least one of the Kwon 's is a Candidate so they are important enough to at least live to the finale.

Also can't wait for a showdown between mortal enemies Ben and Widmore.
Huxley

Postby Mr_eX » May 13th, 2010 @ 9:40am

Kate was awesome in season 1.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bobloblaw » May 13th, 2010 @ 10:23am

Mr_eX wrote:Kate was awesome in season 1.

Season 1 was a while ago.
Bobloblaw

Postby I love Fitch » May 13th, 2010 @ 11:49am

Hey, I'm one of the Juno crowd, Michael Cera ftw
Gamertag: Mak3TeaNotWar

14. English. Taller than Fitch. Employed. Bored out of my skull.
I love Fitch

Postby Mr_eX » May 13th, 2010 @ 12:24pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Kate was awesome in season 1.

Season 1 was a while ago.

Not in the flashsideways.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby dabeast0976 » May 13th, 2010 @ 1:05pm

I love Fitch wrote:Hey, I'm one of the Juno crowd, Michael Cera ftw

Yeah, i can't get enough of Michael Cera acting like Michael Cera in each and every movie he is in. :roll:
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby Mr_eX » May 13th, 2010 @ 1:15pm

The guy playing Michael Cera in Zombieland was awesome.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Creep » May 13th, 2010 @ 1:31pm

Mr_eX wrote:The guy playing Michael Cera in Zombieland was awesome.

Hilarious!
Creep

Next
Forum Statistics