Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Rydog » May 24th, 2010 @ 11:04pm

Lost ended on Sunday. Tonight, we dedicate an episode to the finale. Enjoy. :)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby MrCooperkins » May 24th, 2010 @ 11:13pm

Yay!
MrCooperkins
 
Posts: 1
Joined: May 24th, 2010 @ 11:11pm
Location: San Marcos TX

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Master Higgins » May 24th, 2010 @ 11:16pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby LiQuid » May 24th, 2010 @ 11:21pm

Guh, I'm a week behind but I wanna hear the Lost junk. I guess I'll see if I can cram em both tomorrow at the office. I hope at least one person on the show hated it. I don't wanna hear an hour and a half of Cuse/Lindelof peenor sucking.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Grimlock » May 25th, 2010 @ 12:12am

Spoiler: show
It all being Jacks doing is very interesting and some good points are brought up. But did he know about Faraday and Charlotte? That they had a thing for each other? I can't remember right now so I hope someone does. I still think it was created by all of them.


And I have to admit that I still haven't seen the first 2 seasons so the ending scene didn't affect me. I knew it was important but not just how important.
Grimlock
User avatar
 
Posts: 50
Joined: May 24th, 2010 @ 1:48am
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Kajaah117 » May 25th, 2010 @ 12:48am

Yay! My finale impressions were read on the air. Ryan neglected to read my paragraph about how Lost would have been disappointing if the writers gave us some midichlorians, but I still appreciate the opportunity to contribute such a great podcast.

BTW: Samuel? Esau? It all makes sense! :lol:
Kajaah117
User avatar
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mar 15th, 2009 @ 11:09pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby kenzo » May 25th, 2010 @ 12:58am

Grimlock wrote:
Spoiler: show
It all being Jacks doing is very interesting and some good points are brought up. But did he know about Faraday and Charlotte? That they had a thing for each other? I can't remember right now so I hope someone does. I still think it was created by all of them.


And I have to admit that I still haven't seen the first 2 seasons so the ending scene didn't affect me. I knew it was important but not just how important.

They strategically re-aired the pilot episode on Saturday; watching that a lone would have done the trick.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby uppi17 » May 25th, 2010 @ 2:19am

So I take it this is a solely Lost based pod? If this is the case then I'll probably not listen to it until I finally get to watch all of Lost*. Expect my comments on this in about ten years time, unless I flash sidewards (or forwards, it's so hard to tell with these modern haircuts).

* Which I know I will like, I just have about five other shows that I'm currently watching & I may as well wait until all the series are available cheaply.
uppi17
User avatar
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Mar 30th, 2009 @ 11:14am
Location: Old York

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby kenzo » May 25th, 2010 @ 3:04am

Great podcast!

My initial reaction was, "Damn, Justin Haywald is a shitty guest." But to be honest, it was probably a necessary evil to have a dissenting opinion to balance out what otherwise would have been a massive Lost-lovefest. "How many people will unsubscribe from the podcast?" Every listener to date knows how chocked full of Lost that this podcast is and if they're still listening 67 episodes in, they've come to terms with it. Also, Justin teared up for the Friends finale? Seriously? Friends? What a lame way to hand in a man-card.

Mrs. Scott was a cool guest though; you could tell she was a little nervous, but she had some funny quips and good insight as well. I would welcome more appearances, but I hope it doesn't come at the expense of Fitch being on air.

Also, the sound clip in the beginning was so corny that I had to laugh.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby uppi17 » May 25th, 2010 @ 5:09am

I definitely won't be unsubscribing from the podcast, I'll just give this one a miss. I've never skipped the Lost talk in the previous episodes, as I'm unlikely to remember what was talked about when I finally get to watching it*, but I suspect this one will be more memorable in terms of spoilers.

It's annoying that I won't get to hear Mrs. Scott though...

* Although I doubt Rrrrrrrrricarrrrrrrdo will be leaving my memory banks any time soon
uppi17
User avatar
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Mar 30th, 2009 @ 11:14am
Location: Old York

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 25th, 2010 @ 6:48am

When Karen said that Justin wanted the "80's movie montage" ending, I thought of this:


And when you think about it, oddly appropriate for Lost. Other thoughts:

-According to EW's Doc Jensen, the footage of the plane wreckage over the credits was just to set mood, no deeper meaning implied.

-Godwin's Law.

-I grow tired of the "when they say its 2.5 hours, its not *really* 2.5 hours" people. Of course there are commercials. In a regular hour long episode, you get approximately 44 minutes of show. Extrapolate that to 2.5 hours, and come to 110 minutes, which is pretty close to what they ran.

-I think Ryan Scott mentioned this, but Walt's fate is supposedly going to be dealt with on the DVD.

-Carlton Cuse was on ESPN's B.S. Report a week or so ago, and said (among other things) that looking back, if he had to boil it down, they probably could have lost about 40 episodes (out of the 120) to tell their story.

-In the pilot, Jack's wound (that Kate stitched up) was on his left side, opposite his knife wound in the finale.

Yeah, that's all I got right now. Well, that, and I liked the Battlestar Galactica finale more than Karen apparently did. Karen probably scores the BSG finale at 9 or 10 on the Gabrielle Anwar scale; I'd give it 3 or 4.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan
User avatar
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 9:20pm
Location: West Chester, Ohio

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Mr_eX » May 25th, 2010 @ 10:40am

Higgins, you are wrong about purgatory being just Jacks and I think you will admit being wrong. Had it been just Jack's, why is it Desmond saw it when he was in the magic science box and why was Juilete saying stuff from purgatory as she was dieing on the island?
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Will » May 25th, 2010 @ 11:13am

Not many people discussing so I signed up to post what I posted in the comments section.

Right on Higgins. There is no right or wrong with the specifics of the ending beyond the fact that they are dead and have met in this “place”. Karen is getting specific and demanding her version of the place is right, when a specific answer isn’t the point. A christian person would explain it one way, hindu another, atheist another. Having it be Jacks purgatory is an alright explanation (it was clearly centered around him, but might be iffy only because others did meet up in their too), and Karen’s explanation fits too. Personally I am more atheist and think the “flashsideways” is more a place created because of exposure to Island’s unexplained scientific properties. A timeless place your mind would go to after death. I agree with what Higgins said, the island is where the idea of religion has derived from. My take away is through out time people have come and left the island with exposure to the unexplained properties and as a result the ideas of religion have evolved from it. That’s my ending, yours may be different and that is OK.

My answer for the final image of the plan wreckage is that if you remember back to season 1 the beach was eroding and most of the plane wreckage went into the ocean. At the end the island was falling into the ocean and jack restarted it and all the damage to the island was fixed and the island rose up and reset it self. There for the wreckage was back on the beach. Basically implying all the stuff on the island is safe and back to normal (for hurly & ben). Might be a stretch, but I honestly can’t think of anything else that fits any better.

Good discussion everyone. Especially glad the (sometimes) typical cynicism of the geekbox didn't show up for this show, and instead we had a very logical discussion.
Will
 
Posts: 1
Joined: May 25th, 2010 @ 11:03am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby weirdquail » May 25th, 2010 @ 11:59am

Man, I've been listening for a while and hadn't signed up for this yet but I just had to now. The idea that everyone could suspend their disbelief about all of the plot holes and unexplained phenomena about the series because "that's not what the show is about" is ridiculous to me. If that was the case, why did they include it? Calling writer laziness a vehicle for the theme or central message of the series is preposterous. Anyway, I was just very disappointed that everything was explained through magic and the need for faith. Meh.
weirdquail
 
Posts: 2
Joined: May 25th, 2010 @ 9:51am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Mr_eX » May 25th, 2010 @ 12:02pm

weirdquail wrote:Man, I've been listening for a while and hadn't signed up for this yet but I just had to now. The idea that everyone could suspend their disbelief about all of the plot holes and unexplained phenomena about the series because "that's not what the show is about" is ridiculous to me. If that was the case, why did they include it? Calling writer laziness a vehicle for the theme or central message of the series is preposterous. Anyway, I was just very disappointed that everything was explained through magic and the need for faith. Meh.


Please list some plot holes for me.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby slinkdickens » May 25th, 2010 @ 12:34pm

That one email where the listener who skipped several seasons and just watched the finale and came to the conclusion that the whole thing was purgatory sounds typical of the conclusion I've heard from others who only saw the finale. I wonder if the one guy who has only been watching this season (Fitch?) will come to a similar conclusion.
slinkdickens
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Grimlock » May 25th, 2010 @ 2:05pm

kenzo wrote:They strategically re-aired the pilot episode on Saturday; watching that a lone would have done the trick.
I was planning on watching it and then completely forgot about it when I spent most of the day doing yard work.
Grimlock
User avatar
 
Posts: 50
Joined: May 24th, 2010 @ 1:48am
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Bobloblaw » May 25th, 2010 @ 2:22pm

Grimlock wrote:
kenzo wrote:They strategically re-aired the pilot episode on Saturday; watching that a lone would have done the trick.
I was planning on watching it and then completely forgot about it when I spent most of the day doing yard work.


I thought Grimlock no like yard work.
Bobloblaw
User avatar
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Mar 2nd, 2010 @ 1:43pm
Location: Durham, NC

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Karen » May 25th, 2010 @ 2:27pm

Image

No one should die alone.<3 <3 <3
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI


http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
User avatar
White Dudes Only
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 1:16am
Location: Berkeley

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby kenzo » May 25th, 2010 @ 2:39pm

Grimlock wrote:
kenzo wrote:They strategically re-aired the pilot episode on Saturday; watching that a lone would have done the trick.
I was planning on watching it and then completely forgot about it when I spent most of the day doing yard work.

Blows off TV to do the work of a man's man? The Legend of Grimlock grows. :lol:

Karen wrote:Image
No one should die alone.<3 <3 <3

Image
"I've always known that I'll die alone." :lol: :lol: :lol:
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Cris » May 25th, 2010 @ 3:04pm

Midichlorians are not the force. Midichlorians just interact with the force.

I still hate them though but for other reasons I don't feel like explaining.
Cris
User avatar
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 2:42am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Grimlock » May 25th, 2010 @ 3:30pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
I thought Grimlock no like yard work.


Gotta keep the yard nice looking and even Grimlock enjoys looking at nice things.

kenzo wrote:Blows off TV to do the work of a man's man? The Legend of Grimlock grows. :lol:


Not being a stupid newb and acting like a real person really gives you some love here. :lol:
Grimlock
User avatar
 
Posts: 50
Joined: May 24th, 2010 @ 1:48am
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Lombaszko » May 25th, 2010 @ 3:55pm

You all did a nice job discussing the finale. Thanks for taking the time to devote an entire episode to Lost.
NOW...

I think you guys and the Geekbox community need to find a new show to obsess over and discuss every week. Should it be a new show this summer, or wait till new ones come up in the fall. I think if it's a show that is already on the air it should be one that is in it's first or second season and easily available, Hulu or something, so everyone can catch up.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Lombaszko
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 3:53am
Location: Boston

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Grimlock » May 25th, 2010 @ 3:56pm

Isn't the plan to do Justified next? It's still in the first season.
Grimlock
User avatar
 
Posts: 50
Joined: May 24th, 2010 @ 1:48am
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Lombaszko » May 25th, 2010 @ 3:59pm

kenzo wrote:Blows off TV to do the work of a man's man? The Legend of Grimlock grows.

Grimlock's watch doesn't have any numbers on it. It just says, "Time To Be Awesome".
Lombaszko
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 3:53am
Location: Boston

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Mr_eX » May 25th, 2010 @ 4:43pm

Lombaszko wrote:You all did a nice job discussing the finale. Thanks for taking the time to devote an entire episode to Lost.
NOW...

I think you guys and the Geekbox community need to find a new show to obsess over and discuss every week. Should it be a new show this summer, or wait till new ones come up in the fall. I think if it's a show that is already on the air it should be one that is in it's first or second season and easily available, Hulu or something, so everyone can catch up.

Anyone have any thoughts?


Supernatural, it just finished its 5th season but it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

This is a spoiler for one specific episode but it should convince everyone to watch it
Spoiler: show
In one episode Sam and Dean(the two main characters) go to Supernatural Con, and everyone is cos-playing as Sam and Dean or as monsters they fought earlier in the series. And then they all start LARPing
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby compellinggameplay » May 25th, 2010 @ 4:48pm

kenzo wrote:Great podcast!

My initial reaction was, "Damn, Justin Haywald is a shitty guest." But to be honest, it was probably a necessary evil to have a dissenting opinion to balance out what otherwise would have been a massive Lost-lovefest. "How many people will unsubscribe from the podcast?" Every listener to date knows how chocked full of Lost that this podcast is and if they're still listening 67 episodes in, they've come to terms with it. Also, Justin teared up for the Friends finale? Seriously? Friends? What a lame way to hand in a man-card.

Mrs. Scott was a cool guest though; you could tell she was a little nervous, but she had some funny quips and good insight as well. I would welcome more appearances, but I hope it doesn't come at the expense of Fitch being on air.

Also, the sound clip in the beginning was so corny that I had to laugh.


Dude, that was sarcasm. I actually had my tear ducts hermetically sealed in 1972, just in case I ever suffered a potential break down in manliness.
compellinggameplay
User avatar
Super Intern
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Dec 10th, 2009 @ 4:41pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby kenzo » May 25th, 2010 @ 5:15pm

compellinggameplay wrote:Dude, that was sarcasm. I actually had my tear ducts hermetically sealed in 1972, just in case I ever suffered a potential break down in manliness.

Dude, I'm just joshin ya. =) I now consider it a personal triumph that I elicited a response from such an elusive (to this forum) person.

In all seriousness, you must have the same disease that I have - no matter what you say, people don't understand when you're being serious and when you're joking/being sarcastic.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 25th, 2010 @ 5:26pm

Just a final word about the footage of the plane wreckage that ran over the credits:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtra ... mages.html

Basically it was a decision by ABC and *not* the producers to run that footage to "soften the transition" (their words) between the end of the finale and your local news. It had no meaning whatsoever, so stop looking for one.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan
User avatar
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 9:20pm
Location: West Chester, Ohio

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 67

Postby Master Higgins » May 25th, 2010 @ 5:35pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:Just a final word about the footage of the plane wreckage that ran over the credits:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtra ... mages.html

Basically it was a decision by ABC and *not* the producers to run that footage to "soften the transition" (their words) between the end of the finale and your local news. It had no meaning whatsoever, so stop looking for one.


Good to hear.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Next
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron