Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 70

Postby jw_6179 » Jun 18th, 2010 @ 1:51am

Rydog wrote:Thanks for the kind words, folks. I do apologize for the audio quality -- we were running on pretty low-end tech, all things considered (a handheld voice recorder and a field mic) -- but I figured it’d be better to do something a little wonky than skip a week. This was, in fact, the best I could do with a jam-packed work schedule and limited equipment (no way could I have shipped my mixer and mics down).

I know it wasn’t the "standard" Geekbox, but I hope you enjoyed it anyway. I definitely did.

I enjoy the Podcast a lot. Hearing from your old friends is cool, and you still have a good chemistry/dynamic with them on a podcast, in my opinion. It sounded like you had a lot of fun, it was a bit laid back and just was enjoyable to listen to.

And hey, the audio quality? Just think of it as something akin to guerrilla podcasting, hah.
jw_6179

Postby Gravatix » Jun 18th, 2010 @ 6:19pm

Interesting the difference in the tone of things between the comments on the podcast post itself and back here in the forums. I hope Ryan points Jeff back here as well to see that a lot of people really did like hearing him on The Geekbox. Otherwise I'm afraid he won't be back. Dana either. By the way, Dana, you're awesome too!
Gravatix

Postby kenzo » Jun 18th, 2010 @ 11:08pm

Finally listening to this. I think it was Matt Peckham who said in the podcast about how MGS games try to tackle serious subjects but mostly fail because they surround them with ridiculousness. And while ridiculousness is still there in Peace Walker, it's nowhere near the levels of insanity of ghosts, psychics, a man shooting bees from his mouth, a severed hand possessing someone, vampires, and incestuous relationships. The story in Peace Walker is actually really good with a lot of the bullshit cut out and manages to hit some heavy subjects pretty well like M.A.D., Detente, and Gilbert Ryle's notion of 'ghosts in the machine,' without sounding stupid or heavy handed.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 19th, 2010 @ 4:22am

If it's not stupid or heavy handed, it's not Metal Gear...
LiQuid

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 20th, 2010 @ 3:35pm

I highly suggest watching dexter, its a phenomenal tv show.

edit: also having any of them as guest on the podcast again would be pretty awesome
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby uppi17 » Jun 21st, 2010 @ 12:46am

I've just read what people had written on the blog & I don't think they were listening to the same show as me. Having said that, I now think any woman on the geekbox in the future should be called 'the lady' (Karen included).
uppi17

Postby Ilovenerdygirls » Jun 21st, 2010 @ 7:14am

I loved having JG back. I can't believe they've knocked back 70 of these and he's guested so little. There's no real excuse since this podcast hardly even talks about video games anyway!

As far as Move/Kinect goes, what is most annoying to me after seeing all the E3 coverage, is that it appears that for each there's one or two pices of software available that are going to make me want to buy the peripherals, and the rest is just junk shovelware. For PS3 its the boxing game for me and the pet monchichi for my little girl, and for Xbox its that Dance game. Seeing the Giant Bomb guys playing that dance game made me realize how much my wife would love that thing.
Ilovenerdygirls

Postby Konanda » Jun 21st, 2010 @ 5:21pm

Jeff Green's daughter is 16. Wow I'm like only 4 to 5 years older than that. Man that is trippy, the way he was talking about her on GFW back in the day had me thinking she was like 8 to 10 but I guess she would have been more like 12 to 13 then. Man dude is old.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby flufflogic » Jun 22nd, 2010 @ 12:39pm

Both my kids really want Kinectimals. My son's pretty interested in the Adventure game too.

Move... Hrm. I'd be getting a PS3 too, and at least 2 controllers. That's a £250 console, 2 £30 Move wands, at least 1 £20 subcontroller, the Eye... It's not going to happen.
flufflogic

Postby LiQuid » Jun 22nd, 2010 @ 12:45pm

Tell your kids to stfu and play with a stuffed animal.
LiQuid

Postby Bobloblaw » Jun 22nd, 2010 @ 1:15pm

LiQuid wrote:Tell your kids to stfu and play with a stuffed animal.

Stuffed animals are like a static true 3D kinectimal.
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 22nd, 2010 @ 5:20pm

LiQuid wrote:Tell your kids to stfu and play with a stuffed animal.

Stuffed animals? Get them some of these

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby flufflogic » Jun 23rd, 2010 @ 3:56am

I only own the damn Wii because of my kids. WiiWaa kills both birds with one stone, if it ever sees release...
flufflogic

Postby Bobloblaw » Jun 23rd, 2010 @ 8:29am

flufflogic wrote:I only own the damn Wii because of my kids. WiiWaa kills both birds with one stone, if it ever sees release...

That looks slightly frightening.
Bobloblaw

Previous
Forum Statistics