Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 72

Postby Rydog » Jun 30th, 2010 @ 11:04pm

Greg Ford and Patrick Joynt join us in this week's episode, to catch us up to speed on a variety of things. Also, dumb soccer stuff. Enjoy!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 72

Postby kenzo » Jun 30th, 2010 @ 11:26pm

Not only is the episode late, but you double post Ryan Scott?? Fail!
kenzo

Postby Cris » Jun 30th, 2010 @ 11:41pm

Fitch should talk about The World Cup and other sporting events every week.

Nice to hear him talk about that stuff since The Sports Anomaly is gone.
Cris

Postby kenzo » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 12:01am

I love sports, and I love listening to people talk about sports (PTI is probably my favorite show these days). But that's not why I listen to the Geekbox. I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I can already imagine Ryan Scott verbally rolling his eyes, and I don't want to listen to that. My sports-talk should be unadulterated by annoying sports-descenders who just don't understand sports to begin with.
kenzo

Postby achickenchaser » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 3:46am

That last letter read on the show reminded me of exactly how much I hate Lost apologist. I didn't hate the Lost ending, but this excuse making is sickening.

Since I'm too lazy to send you guys a letter:

What if in the original Star Wars movie everyone stopped what they were doing 3/4ths of the way in and all sat around talking about their feelings for the rest of the show. We could say to anyone who didn't like such a thing that blowing up the Death Star never really was all that important. The movie was really about people resolving their daddy issues all along. Use your brains, people, God!!! Clearly you didn't get it. Idiots! George Lucas is the greatest thing to ever happen to modern screen writing blah blah blah. Give me a break.
achickenchaser

Postby kenzo » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 4:14am

achickenchaser wrote:What if in the original Star Wars movie everyone stopped what they were doing 3/4ths of the way in and all sat around talking about their feelings for the rest of the show. We could say to anyone who didn't like such a thing that blowing up the Death Star never really was all that important. The movie was really about people resolving their daddy issues all along. Use your brains, people, God!!! Clearly you didn't get it. Idiots! George Lucas is the greatest thing to ever happen to modern screen writing blah blah blah. Give me a break :roll:

Ummmm.... you do realize that in Return of the Jedi, Luke intentionally gets captured in order to fight his father and resolve their conflict, 'in order to become a Jedi'. Settling his daddy-issues apparently takes precedent over saving all his friends, protecting the entire Rebel fleet, and taking down a corrupt Empire. He could have gotten in an X-Wing, flew down the trench a second time, and killed both the Emperor and his father along with the entire second Death Star by firing just a few torpedoes. And with 'the force' on his side, he definitely stood a better chance of getting that shit done than Lando did. Nothing Luke does on the Death Star helps his friends on Endor or Lando during his assault. And if Darth Vader didn't have a baffling, last-second change of heart, he would have died at the hands of the Emperor anyways. Luke didn't do shit, and you're full of shit.

Jack in the meanwhile, saves all his (remaining) friends, saves The Island, and possibly even the entire world. Just sayin'.
kenzo

Postby IRL_Troll » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 4:21am

kenzo wrote:
achickenchaser wrote:What if in the original Star Wars movie everyone stopped what they were doing 3/4ths of the way in and all sat around talking about their feelings for the rest of the show. We could say to anyone who didn't like such a thing that blowing up the Death Star never really was all that important. The movie was really about people resolving their daddy issues all along. Use your brains, people, God!!! Clearly you didn't get it. Idiots! George Lucas is the greatest thing to ever happen to modern screen writing blah blah blah. Give me a break :roll:

Ummmm.... you do realize that in Return of the Jedi, Luke intentionally gets captured in order to fight his father and resolve their conflict, 'in order to become a Jedi'. Settling his daddy-issues apparently takes precedent over saving all his friends, protecting the entire Rebel fleet, and taking down a corrupt Empire. He could have gotten in an X-Wing, flew down the trench a second time, and killed both the Emperor and his father along with the entire second Death Star by firing just a few torpedoes. And with 'the force' on his side, he definitely stood a better chance of getting that shit done than Lando did. Nothing Luke does on the Death Star helps his friends on Endor or Lando during his assault. And if Darth Vader didn't have a baffling, last-second change of heart, he would have died at the hands of the Emperor anyways. Luke didn't do shit, and you're full of shit.

Jack in the meanwhile, saves all his (remaining) friends, saves The Island, and possibly even the entire world. Just sayin'.

To get super nerdy here....it's established pretty early that Darth Vader and the Emperor know exactly where Luke is...if he would've attempted a run, he would have the entire imperial fleet on his hind quarters quickly. Plus the shield wasn't disabled, he couldn't have just have flown in anytime he wanted. Damnit someone stop me
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 6:04am

kenzo wrote:I love sports, and I love listening to people talk about sports (PTI is probably my favorite show these days).

Big fan of PTI. Since you like listening to people talk about sports, I'd suggest downloading Slate's Hang Up and Listen podcast. Its like Sports Shouting without the shouting.

But that's not why I listen to the Geekbox. I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I can already imagine Ryan Scott verbally rolling his eyes, and I don't want to listen to that. My sports-talk should be unadulterated by annoying sports-descenders who just don't understand sports to begin with.

As much as I love sports, I generally have no problem with non-sports fans interjecting their thoughts/comments into a sports discussion (I also haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I can picture the same thing kenzo is picturing). My only issue is when non-sports fans dismiss sports as "meaningless" or "pointless"; that really bothers me. I get people don't "get" sports or simply don't like them, but don't dismiss the effect they can have over city/state/region/country, both positive and negative. Hope that doesn't happen on the podcast.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Mr_eX » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 6:15am

kenzo wrote:Not only is the episode late, but you double post Ryan Scott?? Fail!

Accidental double post is the name of my Milli Vanilli cover band.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby JayZii » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 6:44am

I just have a few quick thoughts on Patrick's Final Fantasy XIII rant in the beginning.

Isn't the item upgrade system in Final Fantasy XIII its economy? You kill monsters, get items/materials, and use those items to upgrade one or multiple weapons for each character, with each weapon having different attributes for character customization.

The argument that you win Final Fantasy XIII by just pressing the X button is reductive, considering how often and strategically one needs to change the party's paradigms in order to battle effectively. Also, Final Fantasy games have never been as deep as Shin Megami Tensei titles, so comparing it to the intricacies of Nocturne just seems disingenuous. Citing the sphere grid as an example of an open leveling system with meaningful choice is just silly. You are forced down a linear path for every character (except for kimahri for whom you choose which of the other character's paths he follows) until the end of the game where it opens up. Huh, that sounds familiar.

Patrick, like Chris Kohler earlier this year, seemed to be overstating the flaws for dramatic effect. The implication made by both Chris and Patrick that there was ever anything meaningful to do off of the linear path in any past Final Fantasy (except for XII) is just rose-colored nostalgia.

I don't know why I'm even defending the game so zealously, but that rant just annoyed me. Still love ya Patrick.
JayZii

Postby Bobloblaw » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 7:28am

Mr_eX wrote:Accidental double post is the name of my Milli Vanilli cover band.

Blame it on the Lip Syncing is the name of mine.
Last edited by Bobloblaw on Jul 1st, 2010 @ 8:09am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobloblaw

Postby weirdquail » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 7:49am

I really don't need any more pretentious Lost talk. I thought I was out of meaningless analysis when I finished IB English.
weirdquail

Postby LiQuid » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 8:26am

Haven't listened yet, but I'm betting everybody "woah!'s" and "Oh snap!'s" when Patrick announces his presence.
LiQuid

Postby Bobloblaw » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 8:30am

LiQuid wrote:Haven't listened yet, but I'm betting everybody "woah!'s" and "Oh snap!'s" when Patrick announces his presence.

Oh Snap!
Bobloblaw

Postby Lombaszko » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 8:50am

I think I would like comic books delivered digitally on something like an iPad because pulling up a file seems easier. As it stands now, if I want to read a past issue I have to pull my box out, grab the book, remove it from the bag, carefully handle it, read and return. Then if I take them to read at work or something, I have to pack them carefully in my bag. Clicking a couple buttons seems easier. Plus if I try to read a comic to my son or nephew, they tear that thing apart. The digital file would hopefully stay in perfect condition.
I understand the physical collectability comics have. I had felt that way about video games. I was collecting NES games, but I found the conditions varied and save batteries die out. Virtual Console, XBLA, Steam, these services seemed weird scary at first but I've come to accept them because of price and accessibility.
Higgins is right though, they need to release more new books.

Also with regards to the Cheers Finale:
Spoiler: show
Vera was the smoke monster!
Lombaszko

Postby Mr_eX » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 9:01am

So you guys want a show with time travel and smoke monsters? Watch Supernatural.

Patrick, Chew, Invincible and Walking Dead are on the Comics iPad app, you should read them.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby PantslessJedi » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 9:55am

I only have this to say after hearing Fitch qq about the world cup: the world cup isn't an inspirational sports movie with Denzel Washington as the coach, it's real life. Underdogs lose, get over it.
PantslessJedi

Postby reaverxai » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 10:06am

I like the Patrick Defence of Golden Sun. Best thing out of E3.
reaverxai

Postby shadyjohnson » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 10:30am

Does holding mashed up dead things make reading better? No

Also I have played table top Shadowrun with 5 people, laptops, and pdfs with no problem. :roll:

Also, Patrick was troll this episode. Long live Ryan Scott!
Last edited by shadyjohnson on Jul 1st, 2010 @ 10:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro Lurker
shadyjohnson

Postby kevinep3 » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 10:38am

Ill say it again, you guys need to watch dexter, its so good.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby LiQuid » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 11:57am

Gonna give Patrick my quick spiel about why I don't like the Golden Sun series (I've put about a dozen hours into both but haven't beaten either):

1. During battle, you don't auto target enemies when the group you are attacking is wiped out.

2. Conversations go on for eternities but nothing of importance is ever said. The pausing for emoticons and the impossibly bland dialog makes this really pronounced.

3. Overall the stories were dull and forgettable.

4. The psy puzzles scattered over the game were elementary school easy.

5. While I did like the Djinn/summon system, having a lot of them scattered hidden over the game meant it was hard to stay fully powered up without a guide.

I also tried playing either Mario Golf or Tennis on the GBA too but couldn't get into it either, mainly because I felt like I was trudging through hours of inane dialog just to try and get to some gameplay. I still don't even remember which sport it was that I got since I don't remember actually getting to play it. I think it was tennis.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 1:09pm

Shouldn't you guys have announced the winners of the Red Dead contest?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby dabeast0976 » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 1:24pm

Mr_eX wrote:Shouldn't you guys have announced the winners of the Red Dead contest?

You fellas have some explaining to do.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby kevinep3 » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 1:27pm

they also should have mentioned movie night so we could get more people for that
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby kenzo » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 1:33pm

IRL_Troll wrote:To get super nerdy here....it's established pretty early that Darth Vader and the Emperor know exactly where Luke is...if he would've attempted a run, he would have the entire imperial fleet on his hind quarters quickly. Plus the shield wasn't disabled, he couldn't have just have flown in anytime he wanted. Damnit someone stop me

Isn't being super nerdy what this podcast/forum is all about? ;)

The shield being down isn't a factor; Han, Leia, Chewie, and the Ewoks bring it down without any help or intervention from Luke. That and I'm not suggesting Luke 'run', I suggest he confront them in an X-Wing instead of with a light saber, making destroying the Death Star his priority over settling his daddy issues.

I'm not actually trying to make real, meaningful comparisons of Lost to Star Wars; I'm merely playing devil's advocate in order to scold achickenchaser. The only thing that's just as annoying as a Lost-apologist? An irrational Lost-hater.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 1:34pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:As much as I love sports, I generally have no problem with non-sports fans interjecting their thoughts/comments into a sports discussion (I also haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I can picture the same thing kenzo is picturing). My only issue is when non-sports fans dismiss sports as "meaningless" or "pointless"; that really bothers me. I get people don't "get" sports or simply don't like them, but don't dismiss the effect they can have over city/state/region/country, both positive and negative. Hope that doesn't happen on the podcast.

I'm loading the podcast onto my iPod right now with my fingers crossed that both our fears will shortly be proven wrong.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 1:50pm

It would also be helpful if they, in addition to talking about the movie of the week and announcing the Red Dead winners, they announced the TF2 game night....which I think will turn into a geekbox TF2 clan.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 4:56pm

I agree with Patrick, Chuck Dixon is a great writer, despite his right-wing tendencies. His writing on the Batman books, particularly Nightwing's solo book, were some of my favorite works.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby slinkdickens » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 5:10pm

RE: The Lost discussion.

I was thinking about this recently and I think the last season would've been better if...
Spoiler: show
...we were told early on that the sideways flash was purgatory. (1) We wouldn't feel ripped off at the very end, (2) we have time to start thinking about what is happening in the sideways flashes in relation to this realization, and (3) there would've been time to explore how events on the island relate to people in purgatory and the reality they made up.
slinkdickens

Postby slinkdickens » Jul 1st, 2010 @ 5:17pm

RE: Best series finale.

Does Serenity count as a series finale to Firefly? That would be my personal pick. I also think that the Star Trek TNG finale was cool, especially if you consider that the penultimate episode was like a thematic finale and the final episode was the character finale.
slinkdickens

Next
Forum Statistics