Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 73

Postby Rydog » Jul 7th, 2010 @ 9:06pm

We party hard for the 4th of July in this week's three-man nerd band episode. Enjoy!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 73

Postby Mr_eX » Jul 7th, 2010 @ 9:14pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jul 7th, 2010 @ 9:36pm

I'm only upset at the lateness, because I care. :D
kenzo

Postby GhaleonQ » Jul 7th, 2010 @ 10:07pm

What other shoot-'em-ups have you played, Ryan? Deathsmiles ended up being, by far, the easiest Cave game, I guess. The people who obssess over them are clearing it their 1st time through, so I'm afraid people who suck at them (read: everyone who doesn't constantly play bullet hell games) can't take too much pride in doing well.
GhaleonQ

Postby cool_wizard » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 3:31am

on the subject of shmups and what not, Treasure just released a new Sin & Punishment! remember!

and tank controls. So they might not be the easiest to get used to but I really think that they work well for those types of games. if you keep your cool and concentrate it's pretty easy to walk around, because you know "okay, the camera angle is here, so i need to push the control stick that way to move", but as soon as you get stressed out, like when a zombie is getting ready to eat you, it's pretty easy to fumble with the controls because of the scary. It's almost like a real horror movie where ppl always trip when they are running away from the killer. spooky huh! Just keep calm and concentrate!
Last edited by cool_wizard on Jul 8th, 2010 @ 6:59am, edited 1 time in total.
cool_wizard

Postby Bboy_Izilla » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 4:37am

lol @ not liking Brick. Its like two nerd cultures overlapping...can't have someone who overly digs Dick Tracy and/or ALL of the Indiana Jones movies dig movies like Brick/The Ice Storm [not that one...the other one]/Lucky Number Slevin. There's very few, granted but not a lot of nerds who dig one...dig the other on grounds of 'not getting it' or the pulpy manners of speech.
Bboy_Izilla

Postby Lombaszko » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 8:24am

I have a list of "Can't Watch" movies with my wife too. Tried Star Wars and Indy, she fell asleep. Won't touch Lord of the Rings, maybe she's intimidated by the extended editions? Thankfully, she loves Back to the Future.
Nice to hear some Burn Notice and comic book talk! Hopefully in the new Superman cross country story he'll just be kicking butt in other places besides Metropolis. That scene in #700 where
Spoiler: show
the woman slapped him because he was gone and couldn't melt her husband's tumor was too melodramatic.

How Lost Should Have Ended
Spoiler: show
Awesome.
Lombaszko

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 11:15am

Thank you Rydog for not liking Jesse, I can't stand him and everyone I know either likes him or doesn't care either way. He bugs me, and I think they should have dragged on the "Who is this guy Michael burned?" thing, it only lasted for a little less than an episode.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Bobloblaw » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 12:07pm

I don't think anyone really likes Jesse.
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 12:58pm

I think it's funny whenever Ryan mentions Assassins Creed 2, because he couldn't get past the tutorial.

TF2 game night getting mentioned on the podcast right after the engineer update and new map release is good, I wonder if now maybe too many people will show.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bobloblaw » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 1:16pm

Mr_eX wrote:I think it's funny whenever Ryan mentions Assassins Creed 2, because he couldn't get past the tutorial.

TF2 game night getting mentioned on the podcast right after the engineer update and new map release is good, I wonder if now maybe too many people will show.

Yea. I think this was the most times the forum was mentioned in podcast. I guess being short on chairs and not having topics is a plight desperate enough to talk about forum topics. We had the RDR game winners announced, game night mentioned and the movie of the week called out. Props to Higgins for getting it on the show and to Ryan Scott for mustering up token enthusiasm.

Regarding: TF2 Spies
A cloaked spy will move at the correct movement speed of the cloaked class if the cloaked class' movement speed is equal to or less than the spy's. If the speed is greater than the spy, the spy will move at the spy's top speed. That is why scout is generally a poor disguise choice. The medic is only slightly faster than the spy so the movement speed will generally not expose the spy. However, not being attached to a player healing will generally give you away.
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 2:00pm

Bobloblaw wrote:Regarding: TF2 Spies
A cloaked spy will move at the correct movement speed of the cloaked class if the cloaked class' movement speed is equal to or less than the spy's. If the speed is greater than the spy, the spy will move at the spy's top speed. That is why scout is generally a poor disguise choice. The medic is only slightly faster than the spy so the movement speed will generally not expose the spy. However, not being attached to a player healing will generally give you away.

Also running into the person you're disguised as, is not a good thing. I've had to kill myself before.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 2:57pm

Mr_eX wrote:

Also running into the person you're disguised as, is not a good thing. I've had to kill myself before.

Ha ha, me too!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 3:07pm

Mr_eX wrote:

I kind of don't like that. The Spy was already a pretty good class in TFC, but I liked the fact that you could tell who was or wasn't a spy if you looked carefully and saw how fast they were moving, or what kind of weapon they were holding.
kenzo

Postby Bobloblaw » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 6:45pm

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:

I kind of don't like that. The Spy was already a pretty good class in TFC, but I liked the fact that you could tell who was or wasn't a spy if you looked carefully and saw how fast they were moving, or what kind of weapon they were holding.

If your team is good about spy checking, it makes life very difficult for spies. Spies can't clip through your team or buildings. That is why you will see teleporters on stairwells. Your team clips thorough. Spies have to jump.
Bobloblaw

Postby kenzo » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 7:15pm

Bobloblaw wrote:If your team is good about spy checking, it makes life very difficult for spies. Spies can't clip through your team or buildings. That is why you will see teleporters on stairwells. Your team clips thorough. Spies have to jump.

Basically, I liked Spies when all they were good for was assassinating Snipers. :lol:
kenzo

Postby Bobloblaw » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 7:34pm

kenzo wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:If your team is good about spy checking, it makes life very difficult for spies. Spies can't clip through your team or buildings. That is why you will see teleporters on stairwells. Your team clips thorough. Spies have to jump.

Basically, I liked Spies when all they were good for was assassinating Snipers. :lol:

I love spies... of course I tend to play a pyro. :lol:
Bobloblaw

Postby kevinep3 » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 9:19pm

Well ryan, i got my sn because in prob oct of 06 when logging into my old email I forgot my password and the info to my account(I was a bit younger then so i may have lied about a few things(my age)). Earlier in the day my dad had ordered a ps3 and so i was super pumped the whole day so i just made a new email kevinep3@.... for my name and the ep3 is my last initial then playstation 3, and it just became my sn to everything after that.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby kenzo » Jul 8th, 2010 @ 10:59pm

kevinep3 wrote:...Earlier in the day my dad had ordered a ps3 and so i was super pumped the whole day so i just made a new email kevinep3@.... for my name and the ep3 is my last initial then playstation 3, and it just became my sn to everything after that.

FANBOY ALERT!! :lol:

Best Superman comic (that coincidently doesn't actually feature Superman):
Superman: Secret Identity.
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Jul 9th, 2010 @ 2:07am

I've never had any interest in Superman, I think the only one I have read is the free one on the DC app. I might read the one Ryan likes, and I'll check out the one you are mentioning kenzo. It will probably be the best since it doesn't have Superman in it :p

I do enjoy Smallville, so don't hate me for not liking Superman, just saying.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Jul 9th, 2010 @ 2:39am

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:I'll check out the one you are mentioning kenzo. It will probably be the best since it doesn't have Superman in it :p

Ok, so maybe it isn't coincidentally the best. ;)
I found it far more interesting than most Superman stories. It's basically a 'what if' scenario of: what if a normal guy in the real world (where Superman is just the comic character he is) suddenly got Superman-like powers? It's a little predictable, and not super exciting, but a very realistic take on the genre and an interesting character study (without forcing Superman to cry).
kenzo

Postby KindGalaxy » Jul 9th, 2010 @ 3:59am

Favourite Bit: When Lolitas came on subject... regarding Ikaruga... and everyone did Scooby Do snickers.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby Huxley » Jul 9th, 2010 @ 6:47am

That is why you will see teleporters on stairwells. Your team clips thorough. Spies have to jump

That incorrect, teleporters block both teams.

Its best to play spy assuming they see through your disguise. Most maps have corners you can hide in that people never check so you can ambush them easily.
Huxley

Postby kevinep3 » Jul 9th, 2010 @ 7:57am

kenzo wrote:
kevinep3 wrote:...Earlier in the day my dad had ordered a ps3 and so i was super pumped the whole day so i just made a new email kevinep3@.... for my name and the ep3 is my last initial then playstation 3, and it just became my sn to everything after that.

FANBOY ALERT!! :lol:

well kinda, but i did get a 360 a month or two before this happened so i was pretty equal rights back then
kevinep3

Postby kenzo » Jul 9th, 2010 @ 11:00am

kevinep3 wrote:
kenzo wrote:FANBOY ALERT!! :lol:

well kinda, but i did get a 360 a month or two before this happened so i was pretty equal rights back then

I'm just teasin'. I'm not really one to talk. I'm much more dispassionate these days, but I was known to draw battle lines on the playground as a kid.
kenzo

Postby kevinep3 » Jul 9th, 2010 @ 11:52am

kenzo wrote:I'm just teasin'. I'm not really one to talk. I'm much more dispassionate these days, but I was known to draw battle lines on the playground as a kid.

tell me about it i got in a fight in elementary school about which pokemon game was the best one
kevinep3

Postby Flavin » Jul 9th, 2010 @ 1:47pm

Regarding Clue. Yes, it is a fantastic movie. Yes, my friends and I dressed up as the characters for our pub trivia Halloween costume contest. Yes, it would be amazing to see a sequel with the original cast.

But did you know that a remake is coming out next year?

All the info I could find is that it will be directed by Gore Verbinski and it's coming out in 2011. From Variety:

"Clue" will be turned into a mystery that Blind Wink senior veep Jonathan Krauss called "A global thriller and transmedia event that uses deductive reasoning as its storytelling engine."

To quote the snooty maître d' from Ferris Bueller, "I weep for the future."
Flavin

Postby PantslessJedi » Jul 9th, 2010 @ 3:16pm

Flavin wrote:Regarding Clue. Yes, it is a fantastic movie. Yes, my friends and I dressed up as the characters for our pub trivia Halloween costume contest. Yes, it would be amazing to see a sequel with the original cast.

But did you know that a remake is coming out next year?

All the info I could find is that it will be directed by Gore Verbinski and it's coming out in 2011. From Variety:

"Clue" will be turned into a mystery that Blind Wink senior veep Jonathan Krauss called "A global thriller and transmedia event that uses deductive reasoning as its storytelling engine."

To quote the snooty maître d' from Ferris Bueller, "I weep for the future."

Somebody posted that in this week's Moviebox thread. You should head over there.
http://forums.geekbox.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1784&start=0
PantslessJedi

Postby Flavin » Jul 9th, 2010 @ 4:28pm

PantslessJedi wrote:Somebody posted that in this week's Moviebox thread. You should head over there.
http://forums.geekbox.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1784&start=0

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will.
Flavin

Postby Jennifer » Jul 12th, 2010 @ 6:59pm

re: whether "kids these days" can appreciate Clue...My two little sisters are 11 and 13 and they've been fans of Clue since they were very small. They watched it so much they have every line memorized. This may be because I've helped raise them to become giant nerds, but even the neighbor kids who ain't that bright thought it was a very funny movie when my sisters made them watch it. And even years later, one will still occasionally slap the other and say, "Well I had to stop her from screaming!"

Regarding the copyright issue, it's actually more interesting than who gets paid. See, someone's copyright actually expires after a certain amount of time. Then nobody owns it - not the estates who have been raking in big bucks from Superman comic books, toys, and games; not the comic company that wants to control it. It enters the "public domain." There are people lobbying Congress to extend copyright protection beyond the current limits. It may seem like a no-brainer that's a good idea, but you have to understand the purpose of copyright in the first place.

Copyright is actually in the U.S. Constitution. The purpose is "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries." This encourages innovations because it allows you to profit off your own R&D. But eventually, ideas enter the public domain and you can no longer solely profit from them...or at least, that's how it's supposed to work. Even so, there's nothing to stop you from continuing to profit; it's just that you can't stop others from doing so as well. Hence, you can find (for instance) a number of Pride & Prejudice sequels that build off the original (now copyright-expired) novel with no legal problem whatsoever. They use the characters, descriptions, original story - sometimes even whole chunks of text.

The copyright, in other words, is only supposed to be granted for the time it takes to "promote the progress of science and useful arts." So now the issue is, what happens when an idea - like there being a Man of Steel - is so valuable, it promotes the progress of arts in perpetuity? It's actually a pretty interesting property question. If you're really interested in exploring this line of thought, check out this blog post & its related links, which do a good job of intro'ing the material & the arguments. http://volokh.com/posts/1179719775.shtml
Jennifer

Next
Forum Statistics