Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby Rydog » Jul 14th, 2010 @ 6:17pm

The full cast is back for this week's episode. Hell yeah!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby IRL_Troll » Jul 14th, 2010 @ 7:40pm

Next time, try the Roger Federer of Street Fighter, or any other game where said sports analogy is required. He's the Hindu God of tennis
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll
User avatar
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Dec 3rd, 2009 @ 11:55am
Location: Southwest MO

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby Kajaah117 » Jul 14th, 2010 @ 7:44pm

Yay! Karen's finally back. The odds of an in-depth Batman XXX discussion just increased significantly. :lol:
Kajaah117
User avatar
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mar 15th, 2009 @ 11:09pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Jul 14th, 2010 @ 8:21pm

Someone tell iTunes to get on the ball, it won't download.
BEARinaMANSUIT
User avatar
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Mar 14th, 2010 @ 12:06am
Location: Lakeside, California

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby kenzo » Jul 14th, 2010 @ 8:26pm

Rydog wrote:The full cast is back for this week's episode. Hell yeah!

I haven't ever really read the blog-comments before, but started clicking through them because of this link. And all I gotta say is:

Ewwwwwww...
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby kenzo » Jul 14th, 2010 @ 8:26pm

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Someone tell iTunes to get on the ball, it won't download.

Downloading just fine for me, man.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby ACSlayter » Jul 14th, 2010 @ 9:39pm

I'll be listening tomorrow. I can't wait to hear the EVO talk.
Time to die, preppy.
ACSlayter
User avatar
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 12:43pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby ACSlayter » Jul 14th, 2010 @ 9:57pm

Never mind. I just listened to the whole 45 seconds of SSFIV talk.

PROFOUND SADNESS!
Time to die, preppy.
ACSlayter
User avatar
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 12:43pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Jul 14th, 2010 @ 10:53pm

kenzo wrote:
BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Someone tell iTunes to get on the ball, it won't download.

Downloading just fine for me, man.


It popped up right after I said that, iTunes made me a liar.
BEARinaMANSUIT
User avatar
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Mar 14th, 2010 @ 12:06am
Location: Lakeside, California

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby kenzo » Jul 14th, 2010 @ 11:03pm

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:
kenzo wrote:
BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Someone tell iTunes to get on the ball, it won't download.

Downloading just fine for me, man.


It popped up right after I said that, iTunes made me a liar.

Everytime I see your name, I always read it as "BEARinaSNEAKINGSUIT" now in my head. Yeah, that has nothing to do with anything.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby shadyjohnson » Jul 15th, 2010 @ 8:58am

I don't care if you eat on the podcast. My elder ears can't hear you. :lol:
Pro Lurker
shadyjohnson
User avatar
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Apr 17th, 2009 @ 12:40pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jul 15th, 2010 @ 10:21am

The "wrestler" Greg Ford was trying to name in The Expendables is Randy Couture, who's not a wrestler. He's a former UFC champion and one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time.

Also re:Emmy awards (I put this in the Emmy Nomination thread, but I'll repost it here)- the Oscars tend to reward people/film for "body of work," like Return of the King for Best Picture or Al Pacino for A Scent of a Woman. The Emmys don't tend to to that, so don't look for sympathy votes for Lost just because it ended. The year The Soporanos ended, everyone thought James Gandolfini was shoe-in for his 4th lead actor award, but he didn't win; it went to James Spader from Boston Legal (Spader actually made reference to it in his acceptance speech when he said he felt like he just "stole something from the mob"). The Emmys like to reward people/shows that they've honored before, so first time nominees in long (or longer) standing shows (like Matthew Fox for Lost or Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton for Friday Night Lights) tend to have little chance of winning.
Last edited by GiantAsianMan on Jul 15th, 2010 @ 10:33am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan
User avatar
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 9:20pm
Location: West Chester, Ohio

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby Mr_eX » Jul 15th, 2010 @ 10:33am

IMDB has the worst forums on the internet, nothing else even begings to compare.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby Cris » Jul 15th, 2010 @ 12:12pm

Daigo doesn’t always win. He got 2nd place in a tournament before EVO and has lost money matches at EVO.

He’s still the best player in the world.
Cris
User avatar
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 2:42am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby ProtocolSnow » Jul 15th, 2010 @ 2:51pm

Yeah, IIRC Daigo so far has won every non-Japan Street Fighter 4 tournament he has participated in. However, he does lose pretty regularly in Japanese tournaments.

Plus, he lost in SFII Turbo HD Remix at EVO (though granted, this game doesn't exist in Japan and he doesn't have any practice with it). I thought Ryan would know about this, what with that game being one of his all-time favorites and all.
ProtocolSnow
User avatar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 6:13pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby kenzo » Jul 15th, 2010 @ 4:36pm

I can't remember, but someone made a quick quip on the podcast about how everyone in movies speaks English-English, like say, in the Prince of Persia. To be fair, when people outside of America and American territories/protectorates learn English, they learn English-English. I think it's easy for Americans to forget that the sun never sets on the British Empire. English-English is so much more pervasive throughout the world; I remember a friend who studied abroad in Germany told me they got consistently marked down in their English classes because their English was bad (i.e. not English-English).
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby raindrew » Jul 15th, 2010 @ 4:49pm

Normally I can hear the word boner and not burst out laughing, but this was just ridiculous.

Anyway, Evo was pretty cool this year. There weren't that many people on Friday, but by Sunday the whole ballroom was filled up for the finals. Honestly, a lot of the crowd didn't look like your average "gamer;" I swear I saw half of the Jersey Shore cast in the row behind me. But regardless of the attendees' appearances, it was pretty exhilarating when I stood up to cheer for someone getting a perfect (or getting perfect-ed), and 2000 other nerds were screaming with me.
raindrew
 
Posts: 3
Joined: May 18th, 2010 @ 11:50pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Jul 15th, 2010 @ 7:05pm

Funny that Ryan Scott wasn't getting the boner sticky thread joke.
BEARinaMANSUIT
User avatar
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Mar 14th, 2010 @ 12:06am
Location: Lakeside, California

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby flufflogic » Jul 16th, 2010 @ 5:11am

Mr_eX wrote:IMDB has the worst forums on the internet, nothing else even begings to compare.


GameFAQs called, they threw some badly spelled insults in too and asked if it was suitable for their 4 year old. And then went back to /b/.
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby kenzo » Jul 16th, 2010 @ 5:16am

flufflogic wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:IMDB has the worst forums on the internet, nothing else even begings to compare.

GameFAQs called, they threw some badly spelled insults in too and asked if it was suitable for their 4 year old. And then went back to /b/.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say everyone so far has been dead-wrong on the 'worst forum on the internet' thing.

Clearly, Stormfront.org is the greatest hive of scum and villainy on the internet. Perspective, guys!
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby flufflogic » Jul 16th, 2010 @ 5:40am

kenzo wrote:
flufflogic wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:IMDB has the worst forums on the internet, nothing else even begings to compare.

GameFAQs called, they threw some badly spelled insults in too and asked if it was suitable for their 4 year old. And then went back to /b/.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say everyone so far has been dead-wrong on the 'worst forum on the internet' thing.

Clearly, Stormfront.org is the greatest hive of scum and villainy on the internet. Perspective, guys!


Yeah, my suggestion was just basically a =dig at what GameFAQs is like. I'd also throw out a mention to the myriad blah-chans, most of which are frankly pits of barely human rectal matter.
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jul 16th, 2010 @ 6:05am

flufflogic wrote:I'd also throw out a mention to the myriad blah-chans, most of which are frankly pits of barely human rectal matter.

That might be an insult to barely human rectal matter.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan
User avatar
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 9:20pm
Location: West Chester, Ohio

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby dabeast0976 » Jul 16th, 2010 @ 6:19am

kenzo wrote:I can't remember, but someone made a quick quip on the podcast about how everyone in movies speaks English-English, like say, in the Prince of Persia. To be fair, when people outside of America and American territories/protectorates learn English, they learn English-English. I think it's easy for Americans to forget that the sun never sets on the British Empire. English-English is so much more pervasive throughout the world; I remember a friend who studied abroad in Germany told me they got consistently marked down in their English classes because their English was bad (i.e. not English-English).


You missed the point. What they meant was not the language per se, but the accents. When was the last time you heard an Indian person, from India, speak in an English accent? They might speak the language fluently because they were "associated" with England for so long, but they have an Indian accent. So why would the Prince of Persia have an English accent? From an American actor? That was the point.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby kenzo » Jul 16th, 2010 @ 6:52am

dabeast0976 wrote:When was the last time you heard an Indian person, from India, speak in an English accent?

I dunno, maybe a week ago?

Sure, the average Indian person is probably going to speak English with a thick accent. But there are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of highly educated Indians who speak flawless, perfect English-English, accent and all. Little known fact (to Americans): when the British were standardizing their educational systems at the end of the 19th century, the English they standardized and the curriculum developed to teach it was pulled from the colonial schools in India.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 16th, 2010 @ 9:01am

Courtesy of superdickery.com (if you haven't seen it a million times already):

Image

You should check out superdickery.com. They've got a million of these kinds of hilarious panels, including Spider-Man getting fisted in the ass, Casper the Friendly Ghost getting fondled by a squirrel, and Archie Andrews in multiple homosexual situations.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby dabeast0976 » Jul 16th, 2010 @ 9:07am

kenzo wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:When was the last time you heard an Indian person, from India, speak in an English accent?

I dunno, maybe a week ago?

Sure, the average Indian person is probably going to speak English with a thick accent. But there are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of highly educated Indians who speak flawless, perfect English-English, accent and all.


How long did he/she live in India? Were they raised there or did they move as a child? If they moved as a child/teen then yes, they will more than likely lose the native accent and adopt the new country's accent. However, the older you get the harder it is and you will still have some form of accent. My wife and i have done business (not just calling a customer service line) with highly educated people in India. Hell, she went to Goa for a conference a few months ago. Their English is perfect but the accent is Indian. And for all my time living in Jackson Heights (the largest population of Indian people in NYC) i never heard an Indian born person speak with an English accent.


kenzo wrote:Little known fact (to Americans): when the British were standardizing their educational systems at the end of the 19th century, the English they standardized and the curriculum developed to teach it was pulled from the colonial schools in India.


I doubt that during the time period the movie was set that the English had any influence, let alone in the educational system of Iraq/Iran. So they would not have an English accent.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby flufflogic » Jul 16th, 2010 @ 11:13am

The point is, though, for the sake of people being able to understand what the people are saying, they have to be able to cut through the accent. Look at how many people derided Ecclestone on Doctor Who, for instance...
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby kenzo » Jul 16th, 2010 @ 2:04pm

dabeast0976 wrote:I doubt that during the time period the movie was set that the English had any influence, let alone in the educational system of Iraq/Iran. So they would not have an English accent.

My point was merely that, historically, English-English is far more pervasive throughout the world, and that it's very American to expect everyone to sound American in their movies.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby Lord Korax » Jul 16th, 2010 @ 2:26pm

Lord Korax
User avatar
 
Posts: 71
Joined: May 15th, 2009 @ 11:20pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 74

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Jul 16th, 2010 @ 2:43pm

I'm going to chip in on the discussion about Blizzard's failed attempt to make everyone use their real names; I was a regular poster on Mark Millar's Millarworld forum, which requires you to only use your given name. This did not stop me from saying Ultimates artist Bryan Hitch can only have an orgasm if you punch him in the face, or calling Astro City creator Kurt Busiek a liar. That is all.
ReturnOfTheOgre
User avatar
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Mar 19th, 2009 @ 12:17am

Next
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron