Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 75

Postby Rydog » Jul 20th, 2010 @ 11:40pm

Enjoy all the crazy Inception talk in this week's episode!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 75

Postby kenzo » Jul 20th, 2010 @ 11:56pm

Holy crap! On a Tuesday? (just barely) Gods be praised!
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 12:08am

iTunes, the bane of my existence. It never seems to want to download this podcast for me.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 12:36am

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:iTunes, the bane of my existence. It never seems to want to download this podcast for me.

Maybe you just need to update (or downgrade) your iTunes? Just like last time, by the time you've posted this I've already had it downloaded.
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 1:10am

Every other podcast downloads fine, but for some reason Geekbox gives me a stop error four or five times before it starts to download. I think it's just something I need to live with until I get my other laptop working.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby W0lfbl1tzers » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 2:05am

Fitch has now officially used the word Hipster way too many times.
W0lfbl1tzers

Postby Pepto » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 2:21am

Everyone on the podcast needs to check out The Wire. The best thing on TV since the golden age of The Simpsons.
Pepto

Postby Mr_eX » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 6:11am

Can't listen to this till probably next week because I haven't seen Inception yet.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 6:38am

Pepto wrote:Everyone on the podcast needs to check out The Wire.

People need to stop saying this.
LiQuid

Postby PantslessJedi » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 6:50am

This episode was the funniest I've heard in a LOOONG time. Fitch was amazing. Normally, I hate fitch, but he said some of the dumbest shit this episode :D

Spoiler: show
the entire simpsons argument was awesome.

"That is a great episode"
"No it isn't"
"You haven't even watched it!"
"I don't think it should exist"

Lol.

Also: "you don't like franchise milking. You play videogames, don't you?" You made my day.
PantslessJedi

Postby Lombaszko » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 6:54am

I agree with Greg that super hero stories might work better on television. Look at Jonah Hex, would it have done better as a TV series? Maybe because they could work with smaller budgets and be able to market it more towards target demographics. I'd at least DVR it and give it a shot.
I would imagine ensemble movies would also be easier to do on television. I've been hearing about all the trouble they are having signing Edward Norton in the Avengers and possibly Robert Downey Jr but don't they have a ton of heroes together on Smallville?
But, if a superhero movie is done right they can be very successful. I'm just glad they are being made.
Lombaszko

Postby LiQuid » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 7:03am

How spoilery in Inception talk? Anybody wanna gimme general timestamps so I can skip it?
LiQuid

Postby plainclothesman » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 7:03am

Everyone on the podcast needs to check out The Wire.
plainclothesman

Postby LiQuid » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 7:05am

You deserve a ban.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 7:21am

LiQuid wrote:

Listen, The Wire isn't for everyone. Clearly its not for LiQuid. But that doesn't mean its not worth checking out. Its a TV show that works like a novel, not like a TV show. Some people like that, some people hate that. Watch the first 3 or 4 episodes of Season 1; at that point, you'll either a)be hooked instantly and will burn through all 60 episodes in no time, or b)have no interest in watching any further. Its pretty much all or nothing; I haven't met anyone who's on the fence about The Wire.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby LiQuid » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 7:27am

Uh, I didn't hate it because of its structure... I hated it because it's writing was laughably bad. In a bad way. Not in the bad way that I like.
LiQuid

Postby flufflogic » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 7:36am

I skipped the last 25 minutes in case it was all Inception. NO SPOILERS!
flufflogic

Postby plainclothesman » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 7:38am

Well I think you put it best, you deserve a ban my friend. But yea, if people were banned because they hated a show this would be the most ridiculous forums ever. If people were banned because they insulted shows with excellent writing, these forums would be the best the internet has to offer... but you're here, so that's not going happen.
plainclothesman

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 8:36am

Mr_eX wrote:Can't listen to this till probably next week because I haven't seen Inception yet.

When we're really spoiling something, like Lost or Inception, we're putting it at the end of the podcast so it's easily skipable.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby shadyjohnson » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 10:49am

I haven't finished this Geekbox episode yet and it is already one the best episodes. Thanks and keep up the good work!!!

*Uhm: Jizz in my face?!? :shock:
Last edited by shadyjohnson on Jul 21st, 2010 @ 11:25am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro Lurker
shadyjohnson

Postby kevinep3 » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 10:57am

The lack of cg was really nice especially watching it in imax with everything looking so real and authentic, but as to the fight scene it was actually done in a rotating set as show in this attack of the show preview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE74lSHR ... L5Sw4i7PKc (its at like 1:50 when they start talking about it)
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby flufflogic » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 11:07am

Yeah, Wired UK had an article on it...
flufflogic

Postby Ca1amity » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 11:40am

Fitch and I are usually at odds but not this week! The Simpsons heyday was definitely seasons 3 - 8: in those seasons 90% of the episodes were excellent. Youre not "just seeing the good ones" in reruns on TV as Higgins suggests - youre seeing those *seasons* again and again, its just that they were all good.
The Simpsons voice actors and im sure Groening, got moneyhat'd into the next century to keep the show going. While the rest of the crew was right that the new seasons do provide a good episode here and there, the show is doing nothing now but tarnish the legacy of what could have been possibly the greatest sitcom ever.

Now, on to my absolute rage regarding Inception.
"The whole movie was a dream" - I swear I rarely nerdrage, but that got me; I wanted to come through the internet at you Master Higgins.

Prepare for tl;dr also Massive Spoilers

Not only would it represent just the absolute shittiest type of storytelling - basically telling the audience that their emotional investment was a waste of time, the idea doesnt quite hold up.

The easiest way to see that is using the story's main plot device - performing inception on Scarecrow. If "reality" is just the top level (e.g. limbo) then no matter how many dream layers they went down, everything would be happening inside Cobb's own subconscious. So, in the end Cobb would be performing inception on himself and planting the idea that "my father wants me to be my own man" - one that makes no sense with Cobb - and we know inception works even in limbo.
Second is the "wedding ring theory" or whatever thats floating online: Cobb only has his wedding ring on inside the dreamspace, whenever hes outside in the real world its not on.

As for the top, Ryan was 100% on the money - the point of the cut is that for Leo's character once hes home again and can see his children's faces it doesnt matter whether its a dream or reality. Its also, I think anyway, supposed to be symbolic of his letting go of his guilt regarding his wife killing herself - he doesnt have to keep checking to make sure things are real (and in that case his wife being right).
I watched it a second time with a different group of friends yesterday - that top spins a believable amount of time right up to the cut *and* you can see it slowing down and wobbling right before the blackout.
Finally, there was the point about the top being an unreliable narrator because its not unique/been handled - the point was made to Juno that no one else could know the uniqueness of her totem because then it could be copied. Cobb has his wifes totem and shes dead, making him the only one to know how it works; seems pretty secure to me. And Cobb didnt have a totem when they went exploring limbo because his wife invented the idea.

My biggest issue was not expanding on the potential created with Eames saying, "you mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling". The movie really could have used a few more scenes showing active dreamspace editing - after the subconscious becomes aware of intruders the need to be subtle kind of goes out the window.
Even just showing Yusuf save the van by editing a guard rail, Gordon-Levitt with some creative room editing in 0G and Eames saving himself and Saito from the avalanche would have gone a long way.
Ca1amity

Postby kenzo » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 12:04pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:
LiQuid wrote:

Listen, The Wire isn't for everyone. Clearly its not for LiQuid. But that doesn't mean its not worth checking out. Its a TV show that works like a novel, not like a TV show. Some people like that, some people hate that. Watch the first 3 or 4 episodes of Season 1; at that point, you'll either a)be hooked instantly and will burn through all 60 episodes in no time, or b)have no interest in watching any further. Its pretty much all or nothing; I haven't met anyone who's on the fence about The Wire.

This show could possibly be the best show ever, and I'll never watch it until people stop singing its praise like a chorus of mindless zombies on a hunt for brains. "You have to watch iiiiiit! It's so goooooood! Best show everrrrrr! OMFGZ IT'S SO REALZZZZZ! BRAAAAINNNNZZZZ!"
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 12:08pm

Ca1amity wrote:Now, on to my absolute rage regarding Inception.
"The whole movie was a dream" - I swear I rarely nerdrage, but that got me; I wanted to come through the internet at you Master Higgins.
You know, for a film that obviously leaves itself open to interpretation, don't you think you're overreacting a little just because someone interprets the film differently from you?
kevinep3 wrote:The lack of cg was really nice especially watching it in imax with everything looking so real and authentic, but as to the fight scene it was actually done in a rotating set as show in this attack of the show preview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE74lSHR ... L5Sw4i7PKc (its at like 1:50 when they start talking about it)
Jesus Christ, that rotating fight was the sickest shit I've seen in a film in a long time. 100x better than any CG 'enhanced' fight I've ever seen.
kenzo

Postby Ca1amity » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 1:06pm

kenzo wrote:You know, for a film that obviously leaves itself open to interpretation, don't you think you're overreacting a little just because someone interprets the film differently from you?

100% I am. No doubt. I think its reactionary to Higgins own usually very intense reactions to things. Plus after this interview with Yusuf who's spent way more time with the director and the script, I'm calling certain theories out as incorrect http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/07/inceptions_dileep_rao_answers.html

kenzo wrote:Jesus Christ, that rotating fight was the sickest shit I've seen in a film in a long time. 100x better than any CG 'enhanced' fight I've ever seen.

A hundred times, this.
Ca1amity

Postby kenzo » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 1:55pm

Ca1amity wrote:
kenzo wrote:You know, for a film that obviously leaves itself open to interpretation, don't you think you're overreacting a little just because someone interprets the film differently from you?
100% I am. No doubt.

Hah! I like you, Ca1amity.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 2:33pm

Ca1amity wrote:Plus after this interview with Yusuf who's spent way more time with the director and the script, I'm calling certain theories out as incorrect http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/07/inceptions_dileep_rao_answers.html

Yusuf wrote:The problem for me is that you're using negative evidence to support a story that isn't there. I don't know what to say about a character who only exists before and after the movie. You're talking about a character who isn't onscreen. And I mean on one hand, it's awesome that this movie can sustain that kind of discussion. It shows you just how well-thought-through and comprehensive it is, but I mean I don't know where that kind of speculation ends. It's like people who are convinced 9/11 is an inside job. It's a mental heuristic failure to think that one or two minor details explain absolutely everything. I mean, kids wear the same clothes all the time.

To me, it's a far more elegant story if it's a vast job that Leo has to pull off. The threat is real, the growth is real, the adversary is real. The weakness of "It's all a dream" — why we hate that, why we feel cheated when narratively anything is revealed to be all a dream — is that you've just asked me to spend so much time and emotional capital investing in the stakes of this, and you've now swept it away with the most anti-narrative structuralism that doesn't have anything to substitute in its place. It's laughing at you for even taking it seriously. You don't want to feel like a victim of the narrative, and I don't think Christopher Nolan would do that.
He explains it all way better than I could have.
kenzo

Postby PantslessJedi » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 3:50pm

I forget who it was, but I think it was Higgins who said "Tiger Woods is a bad dude."

That made me think of this:

PantslessJedi

Postby momentumchange » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 4:07pm

How was Jon Hamm not he first person that came to mind for Superman. He is Superman.
momentumchange

Next
Forum Statistics