Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 75

Postby kenzo » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 4:32pm

Quick show notes:
-FF13 took me ~40 hrs to beat; I even maxed out the Crystarium.
-Fitch is awesome. 'Jizz in my face'? Hilarious!
-Another character I didn't recognize in Inception until after watching the film: Eames (played by Tom Hardy) is Captain Picard's clone.
-Also, that snow-fortress in Inception reminded much more of GoldenEye/On Her Majesty's Secret Service or Metal Gear Solid. I was flipping out in theaters thinking, "Holy shit, James Bond is going to infiltrate Shadow Moses!"

momentumchange wrote:How was Jon Hamm not he first person that came to mind for Superman. He is Superman.
I'll admit that he's got the look and the acting chops down perfectly. But Don Draper is everything that Superman stands against.
kenzo

Postby Raine » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 4:44pm

Fitch is right, Simpsons sucks. I'll even tell you why: The sense of humor changed. The writing used to just be just straight up funny. It was funny word play, funny visuals, basic stuff that was just plain fucking funny. Then the quality started to decline, and then it changed. . . it got all hipsterish, it started to have this kind of college kid humor that I fucking detest. They tried to make all these clever little statements about this and that, sneak in all this retarded Daily Show style snark. That kind of humor can't hold a candle to the pure comedy of earlier seasons.
Raine

Postby JayZii » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 4:56pm

I like Persona 3/4 and Final Fantasy XIII.

The last boss is the only one with an instant kill attack, so you just cant have your party leader be a sentinel when it tells you he's about to do it. I think Fitch was just bad at the game. . .

I just have to laugh at Fitch and his indignant boycotts. He gets so angry.
JayZii

Postby sigh_its » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 5:50pm

As soon as I saw the rotating corridor in Inception, I immediately thought of the dance scene in the film Singing in the Rain.
sigh_its

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 6:20pm

The hype monster devoured Inception.

I wish I could have seen it before everyone starting talking about how mind fucking this movie was. It was pretty simple to understand if you were paying attention, or if you know about dreams. In the other thread I said it sounded like Waking Life, but what people were talking about there I didn't see show up in the movie at all except for the bit when he talked about Limbo, that's a bit like Waking Life. The movie really wasn't about dreams that much. It was the theme, but they could have done without most of it. It was mostly about the characters. Basically what Higgins says about Lost, except with this he is right. The movie could have been just Leo and Foreign Wife with the same effect, except they wouldn't have been able to do all the cool action stuffs. I'm interested in hearing if Fitch came away feeling as underwhelmed as I did after Higgins and Scott told him hype couldn't kill this movie, or whatever they said. :|

Ca1amity wrote:tl;dr

Wouldn't it have been easier to say that the totem shown stopping at points during the movie and Leo being relieved proved it wasn't all a dream. As according to the movie, knowing your totems exact weight was the only way of knowing if you were dreaming. Unless Leo's character was an idiot who didn't understand his own rule, it couldn't have all been a dream.

Since this post was here and I chose to comment on it I'll continue my thoughts here instead of in the Inception thread. Spoiler tags because I care.

Spoiler: show
There were plenty of moments in the movie that gapped. Like how did they end up in Limbo? I thought dying was the only way to get there. I know they were all sharing dreams, but how did the fourth level take Leo and Juno to the same place dying took Asian and Father Issues? How was Dead Wife able to take dead Father Issues there if Dead Wife was part of Leo's subconscious, wouldn't she have to exist in the same level as Leo? Unless she was real, in which case, how was she able to get into their shared dream, and how was she able to die and come back?

Lastly I'll say, if the end points to Leo still being in Limbo, why did his top falter so much? In earlier scenes it did not falter when it kept spinning. I will admit the resolution after the Jump was a bit quick, and I guess the top was spinning for longer than they showed it before, so there is a chance that it could falter a bit, but the chances that after the cut to black that it picked up and kept spinning are pretty slim. Showing it falter is kind of saying "It fell, but make your own decision"
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 6:36pm

JayZii wrote:I like Persona 3/4 and Final Fantasy XIII.

The last boss is the only one with an instant kill attack, so you just cant have your party leader be a sentinel when it tells you he's about to do it. I think Fitch was just bad at the game. . .

I just have to laugh at Fitch and his indignant boycotts. He gets so angry.

You can also cast Death on the last boss in XIII if you have Vanille's level high enough. As a homage to the final boss in one of their older games in the series, the number escapes me though.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 6:44pm

sigh_its wrote:As soon as I saw the rotating corridor in Inception, I immediately thought of the dance scene in the film Singing in the Rain.

It was actually a scene from Royal Wedding, though they both star Fred Astaire doing career-defining work. This scene from Inception was clearly an homage to Fred Astaire, right on down to what Joseph Gordon-Levitt is wearing during the hallway-fight. And it's no coincidence that films like Singing in the Rain and Royal Wedding all have trademark song and dance numbers that occur within dreams.
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y8n7WQIXQDs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y8n7WQIXQDs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Fast forward to 2:33 for the dance segment.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 21st, 2010 @ 10:37pm

For some reason, I can't reply to the front page comments, so I'll reply here in case they read it...

@tGill: You are correct, I was wrong. It takes three key presses to attack a target:

-Tab over to target
-Press "F" to go into active mode
-Press the number of the ability you want to use

But you know what? That's still 2 too many. Or 3, if it played like A PC GAME and actually had any sort of usable mouse option.

What about starting quests and turning them in twice? Or grinding on mobs so you can get more quests? Or 5 clicks to equip an item? Or a two-day wait to get a repeatable quest? Need I go on?

And I've long since stopped caring what people think about The Simpsons, since everyone that thinks it's sucked for the past 10 years hasn't actually watched an episode in 12...
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby AJR » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 2:00am

Dear god, the comments on the front page are awful.

I pretty much agree with Fitch about the quality of The Simpsons, and I say that as someone who still watches the occasional episode. I’m not going to say I’ve had seen episodes from every season, but I feel like I’ve seen enough to get a general feel of where the show has gone. I even watched the movie in cinemas, and I ended up just feeling bored.

I don’t agree with Fitch about ending it though. If people are still being entertained by it, then who am I to say it should be taken off the air? And I think his rants started to get silly the instant he mentioned that he hadn’t watched the show in years.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby PantslessJedi » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 2:39am

First time I've bothered to read the comments on the first page. Man, you would think the geekbox pissed in their collective cheerios.
PantslessJedi

Postby kenzo » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 2:43am

AJR wrote:Dear god, the comments on the front page are awful.

I took a look at those for the first time a few weeks ago, and the difference between there and the forums are like night and day. My first thought was to suggest that Ryan Scott shut down the blog comments entirely, but I thought better of it relatively quickly - you've got to have cesspools to keep the rest of the water supply clean after all. ;)
kenzo

Postby mltvcocktail » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 4:21am

I agree 100% with Fitch about The Simpsons; it is a cracked, empty shell of it's former glory. There are many problems, the first of which is that being on the air for so long they've completely tapped the well of stories and now they keep coming back to the same 3-4 different story ideas every time. When they do have something that could potentially make for a great episode, they blow it. For example, the episode where a rival comic book story opens across the street from The Android's Dungeon with it's hipstery owner voiced by Jack Black. All the kids start going there, there's great comic book related jokes and then they toss it all aside for yet another "Marge gets a job" episode. How many more places can the Simpsons travel to or how many more jobs can Homer have? What they also started to do in recent years is bring back characters that had fantastic episodes, which bringing them back only tarnished. Characters like Grandma Simpson, Artie Ziff and Frank Grimes (Jr), all appeared in amazing episodes and then appeared in recent years in mediocre episodes at best. Even Sideshow Bob episodes are terrible now and they used to be unquestionably one of the highlights of whatever season they were in.

The main problem though is that the show seemed to lose it's heart. If you go back and watch episodes from seasons 2-8 a lot of them end on a really sweet note (re-watch "And Maggie Makes Three and tell me you don't get choked up at the end) and now they seem more concerned with ridiculous plots like effing Pieman. Going back to the discussion on the show, no heart is the reason why "That 90's Show" is an atrocity. As silly as it sounds, The Simpsons has built up a continuity, events happen and they will be referenced and the results will be seen in later episodes. One pivotal event they always brought up was how Marge, after finding out what a sleazebag Artie Ziff was after the prom, picked up Homer, who was walking home in the rain, and she realized she should have went with him. That episode "The Way We Was" is one of the most beloved in Simpsons history and subsequent episodes like "Lisa's Sax" helped build up the family history. So for "That 90's Show" to come along and say, "oh, none of that happened like that" for the sake of some terrible pop culture jokes is appalling to me.

Wow, that got long but I feel like The Simpsons is part of my DNA and I had to add my two cents into the debate from the show.
Check out my movie website/podcast at: http://www.everythingaction.com and also check out my blog for random internet nerdery at: http://mltvcocktail.tumblr.com/

Follow me on Twitter: @mltvcocktail

PSN name: Mltvcocktail
mltvcocktail

Postby jw_6179 » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 8:14am

Everyone on the podcast needs to check out The Wire.
jw_6179

Postby Ca1amity » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 8:41am

kenzo wrote:I took a look at those for the first time a few weeks ago, and the difference between there and the forums are like night and day.

Its like that just about everywhere, sadly (except maybe RFM because they lack a forum and it tends to balance out). Thats why I created a forum account to rant and rave nonsensically - that and GAF threads move too quick or get no love when it comes to podcast episodes.

mltvcocktail wrote:I agree 100% with Fitch about The Simpsons; it is a cracked, empty shell of it's former glory.... (F)or "That 90's Show" to come along and say, "oh, none of that happened like that" for the sake of some terrible pop culture jokes is appalling to me.

Wow, that got long but I feel like The Simpsons is part of my DNA and I had to add my two cents into the debate from the show.

True, although I must admit the Pieman episode had its moments.

I think the easiest example is that so, so many of the "classic" episodes are part of the pop culture lexicon while the new stuff is completely disposable.

Plus if I quoted to a fan: "They say he carved that spoon.... from a bigger spoon" "Wonderbat" "See My Vest" "Fish love" or "Aww marge but the little guy hasnt done anything yet... and you know when he does its gonna be cool" They're immediately right there with me; not so much anymore.
Ca1amity

Postby PantslessJedi » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 10:11am

kenzo wrote:

I took a look at those for the first time a few weeks ago, and the difference between there and the forums are like night and day. My first thought was to suggest that Ryan Scott shut down the blog comments entirely, but I thought better of it relatively quickly - you've got to have cesspools to keep the rest of the water supply clean after all. ;)

I must not be in my right mind. I decided to wade in the midst of those comments with a truncheon.
PantslessJedi

Postby IRL_Troll » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 10:45am

PantslessJedi wrote:
kenzo wrote:

I must not be in my right mind. I decided to wade in the midst of those comments with a truncheon.

Damn, I've never looked at the episode comments until now. Once I did, I had my battle ax in hand ready to cleave through the comments. This may become a routine of mine
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby kenzo » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 11:00am

Ca1amity wrote:Plus if I quoted to a fan: "They say he carved that spoon.... from a bigger spoon" "Wonderbat" "See My Vest" "Fish love" or "Aww marge but the little guy hasnt done anything yet... and you know when he does its gonna be cool" They're immediately right there with me; not so much anymore.

While my life experiences have me somewhat agreeing with you, how much of that is an effect of you and your clique of friends' tastes? Most of my closer friends are just like me and haven't watched Simpsons in forever... but we're all about the same age with similar backgrounds, life experiences, tastes, etc. On the other hand, I have many acquaintances that keep up with the show to this day, or are young enough to have not really been a part of the 'heyday' of The Simpsons and grew to love the show's current incarnation.
kenzo

Postby moderndevil8 » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 12:22pm

Need Karen to comback and restore some balance to the show and to keep Fitch's absurdity in check. His fatalistic arguments and extremely opinionated remarks often extinguishes the interesting conversations and saps the enjoyment out of a fun topic. :(

Having Greg back on is great! Greg never seems to be phased by Fitch's opinions and will try to reason with him and have an interesting dialogue.

I hope Fitch lightens up. He's been going on dates and stuff, shouldn't he be cool, calm, and collected?

Keep up the good work Geekbox! Looking forward to the next show!
moderndevil8

Postby kenzo » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 12:33pm

moderndevil8 wrote:Need Karen to comback and restore some balance to the show and to keep Fitch's absurdity in check. His fatalistic arguments and extremely opinionated remarks often extinguishes the interesting conversations and saps the enjoyment out of a fun topic. :(

Having Greg back on is great! Greg never seems to be phased by Fitch's opinions and will try to reason with him and have an interesting dialogue.

I hope Fitch lightens up. He's been going on dates and stuff, shouldn't he be cool, calm, and collected?

Keep up the good work Geekbox! Looking forward to the next show!

Everything in italics is wrong. Fitch is the best!
kenzo

Postby Bobloblaw » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 2:04pm

kenzo wrote:Everything in italics is wrong. Fitch is the best!

I don't know if I would call him the best, but I am impressed with his devotion to the other guy who doesn't like Luke either. Not only did he pick him in the Star Wars draft but he has managed to work him in to several podcast conversations. Bravo Fitch. BTW the name of the guy who doesn't like Luke either is Dr. Evazan.
Bobloblaw

Postby LiQuid » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 4:57pm

Haha, I went and saw Inception by myself at noon today just so I could come back and listen to this podcast with a clean conscience and the Inception talk was WEEEEAK!
LiQuid

Postby Rydog » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 5:24pm

Ca1amity wrote:Plus after this interview with Yusuf who's spent way more time with the director and the script, I'm calling certain theories out as incorrect http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/07/inceptions_dileep_rao_answers.html

Ha, it looks like that interview was conducted by former 1UP freelancer and occasional GameSpy writer Andrew Hayward. Small world.

Good interview, too!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby Oherro » Jul 22nd, 2010 @ 7:21pm

Entertaining episode even though I don't completely understand Fitch's reasons for disliking the Simpsons. When I was done listening all I could think was "The Geekbox. So much awesome its like jizz on your face."

WTF FITCH. WTF.
Oherro

Postby dabeast0976 » Jul 23rd, 2010 @ 7:19am

Wow, those episode comments are horrendous. Ryan, you should disable the comments on the main page and link the comments to here. This way they have to log in to bitch and we can set them fuckers straight.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby PantslessJedi » Jul 23rd, 2010 @ 7:43am

Or, we could start posting there, so those jackasses feel outnumbered. They'll either change their tune or get drowned out by the real conversations.
PantslessJedi

Postby LiQuid » Jul 23rd, 2010 @ 8:17am

PantslessJedi wrote:They'll either change their tune or get drowned out by the real conversations.

Is that what you call what goes on around here?
LiQuid

Postby The__Doctor » Jul 23rd, 2010 @ 10:39am

I actually agree with Fitch completely. The Simpsons had some fantastic and heartfelt moments, to go back and change that is atrocious. The episodes now a days are so so, Higgins is insane to think they are on any level as funny as the old stuff.
The__Doctor

Postby IRL_Troll » Jul 23rd, 2010 @ 10:55am

The__Doctor wrote:I actually agree with Fitch completely. The Simpsons had some fantastic and heartfelt moments, to go back and change that is atrocious. The episodes now a days are so so, Higgins is insane to think they are on any level as funny as the old stuff.

The point now isn't whether or not we agree with Fitch or Ryan, the point is the very poor arguing skills Fitch demonstrated during said argument
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby Raine » Jul 23rd, 2010 @ 11:32am

LiQuid wrote:Is that what you call what goes on around here?

Compared to most of the internet, hell yes.
Raine

Postby The__Doctor » Jul 23rd, 2010 @ 11:49am

I think greg argued it about as well as Fitch. "The simpsons should't be made anymore" "But you play sequel video games!"
The__Doctor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics