Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 81

Postby Rydog » Sep 2nd, 2010 @ 10:47am

Enjoy this week's episode, and don't forget to check out our comprehensive list of all the events we've got goin' on at Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle this weekend. Karen, Alice, and I will be attending -- hopefully we'll see a few of you there!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 81

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 2nd, 2010 @ 11:30am

It's Michael Buffer. He copyrighted "LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!"
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 2nd, 2010 @ 11:44am

iTunes decided to download this episode, it's the first time I didn't have trouble in awhile.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Hma » Sep 2nd, 2010 @ 1:18pm

boo on Ryan Higgins, Breaking Bad is soooo good, I can't believe we have to wait a whole year before the next season... and welcome back Karen!
Hma

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 2nd, 2010 @ 1:55pm

Hma wrote:boo on Ryan Higgins, Breaking Bad is soooo good

I hate everyone's favorite tv shows.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 2nd, 2010 @ 1:57pm

Master Higgins wrote:

S'cool. I hate LOST. That makes us even.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 2nd, 2010 @ 2:02pm

me2! No but seriously tho.
lemon-fresh

Postby kenzo » Sep 2nd, 2010 @ 2:30pm

Master Higgins wrote:

Fuck Breaking Bad!
kenzo

Postby achickenchaser » Sep 2nd, 2010 @ 2:42pm

You're limited to 3 free one months when you make a new gamer tag on a new 360.

As a someone who plays Halo weekly, I'll of course still pay for Xbox Live. Please....stop with these dumb rationalizations though. One dollar a day isn't that much, so maybe XBL should be 365 dollars a year. What sort of bum/whiner complains about a measly dollar a day :roll:
achickenchaser

Postby kenzo » Sep 2nd, 2010 @ 2:57pm

achickenchaser wrote:As a someone who plays Halo weekly, I'll of course still pay for Xbox Live. Please....stop with these dumb rationalizations though. One dollar a day isn't that much, so maybe XBL should be 365 dollars a year. What sort of bum/whiner complains about a measly dollar a day :roll:
Haven't we been over this before? A dollar a day is a lot of money. And given the current economic climate, it's kind of a dick-move to pull the 'bum/whiner' card.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 2nd, 2010 @ 5:43pm

kenzo wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Fuck Breaking Bad!

and

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kftgr » Sep 2nd, 2010 @ 5:45pm

Don't get too anal with killing tasks in Android. Even if programs are loaded into memory, the processes might not even be getting any CPU time, thus not using up battery. If your goal is to reduce memory usage, don't worry about that either, as Android's memory management tries to make use of all the available RAM. It'll automatically move inactive apps out if memory needs to be freed.

Get System Panel to see what's been using a lot of CPU. You can probably ignore anything under 10 seconds of CPU time. Spare Parts is also nice for seeing usage too (has similar diagnostics to what Karen said about uptime/usage time, etc). If you must kill off apps, it's safe to just kill off programs that you initiated.

BTW, since you've rooted the phone, look into setCPU to lower the CPU speed when the system is idle.

As for Xbox live, the raise is purely a means to cash in on the expected jump in new subscribers via Kinect. The new price goes into effect Nov 1st, Kinect drops Nov 4th. If they really needed the money for the service (based on the rationale of parity with a $60 game*), then they would have been losing quite a bit via their $39.99 XBL "sale" that they've been running for the past months. For those really concerned about the cost, stock up on 12 month Live cards now. Also, the price increase makes the XBL Family plan much more attractive (unless they up the price of that too).

* - ironically, they raise the price of XBL to $60 just a few days before Kinect, which has games priced at $50.
kftgr

Postby Kenshiro28 » Sep 2nd, 2010 @ 7:45pm

I just felt like mentioning that I cut back on comics alot since the price increase. I don't even collect ongoings anymore (but I want to so bad!). 60 bucks annual isn't a complete gamebreaker for me but I would like alot more different subscription options.
Everyone in this thread is a looooseeerrr
Kenshiro28

Postby uppi17 » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 12:30am

kenzo wrote:
achickenchaser wrote:As a someone who plays Halo weekly, I'll of course still pay for Xbox Live. Please....stop with these dumb rationalizations though. One dollar a day isn't that much, so maybe XBL should be 365 dollars a year. What sort of bum/whiner complains about a measly dollar a day :roll:
Haven't we been over this before? A dollar a day is a lot of money. And given the current economic climate, it's kind of a dick-move to pull the 'bum/whiner' card.

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks a lot Alice for bringing up the whole price argument again :(

If we have guests on the podcast they should be made to listen to every previous episodes so that they don't repeat arguments again :)
uppi17

Postby flipboitamidles » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 12:36am

When Ryan H was talking about the Hurley bird, he referenced the second appearance of the Hurley bird, not the first. They first saw the Hurley bird in Season One Episode 24: Exodus Part 2 and that’s where Hurley said “Did that bird just say my name.” Just saying. ;)
flipboitamidles

Postby IcarusII » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 1:28am

I'm surprised Alice has a chance to breath when she attacks a topic with such gusto. She's certainly a speedier talker than Fitch, that's fo sho. :D Breath. Breath.
IcarusII

Postby kenzo » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 2:57am

IcarusII wrote:I'm surprised Alice has a chance to breath when she attacks a topic with such gusto. She's certainly a speedier talker than Fitch, that's fo sho. :D Breath. Breath.
Jesus Christ, tell me about it. I was getting overwhelmed listening to the podcast. She's basically a female Patrick, but speaks even faster and more frequently. Plus, when Patrick gets preachy, it's usually about something where he's in a position of relative authority on the subject. But Alice? Oh so wrong and uninformed on so many things. These are just the few that I remember:

-Popeye's chicken is now $1.29 for two pieces. However, you can now buy the $1.29 chicken on both Tuesday and Thursday now.

-ESPN on 360, will merely allow you to access ESPN3 via your 360, which is already free via a computer. It's adding 'value' to XBL at zero cost to Microsoft or MS's infrastructure. This won't be available to everyone however, since just like on the PC, you can only access ESPN3 if your ISP has a licencing agreement with ESPN. If you're paying for an ISP that has paid licencing fees to ESPN, you're essentially already paying for ESPN3 (paying for an XBL Gold account to view ESPN3 on your TV is kind of like paying twice for the same thing, and I don't know how I feel about that).

-Alice doesn't like Jersey Shore because, "it's low class people being low class," which is just wrong and kind of snooty. That was easily the stupidest thing I've heard today, including the new episode of the Jersey Shore that I watched. Jersey Shore is the single best thing to happen to television in the past two years, and if you can't laugh with/at these Guidos, you don't have a soul.
Last edited by kenzo on Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 3:14am, edited 2 times in total.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 3:05am

All that said, Alice probably just needs some time to settle in, find her groove, and get comfortable. Likewise, I probably just need some time to get used to her on the podcast. I don't hate her, but it sure is a jarring shift from the comfortable familiarity of the podcast with the svelte Andrew Fitch on board.
kenzo

Postby jw_6179 » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 3:38am

(a) Karen, how do you figure video gaming is a "white collar" hobby? Trust me, practically everyone games anymore. Perhaps they don't all have $2k HDTVs, 7.1 surround sound systems and what not, but it's as pervasive in the industrialized world as movies or television.

(b) I don't own an XBox 360. But, price increases do bother me, and it grates me when non-developers like you all defend them:

First, we all know you get a lot of your things free, so the $10 increase on XBox accounts, or the $10 increase on games themselves this generation affect your budgets a hell of a lot less. It's not quite "Do as I say, not as I do", but pretty damned close.

Second, I can afford $10. It's not the difference between me eating dinner tonight and keeping my XBox Live account going for another year. However, the quintessential example of this problem is cable television. I actually recently got rid of cable TV about a year or two ago, because -- while I can afford cable -- it just started to kill my discretionary spending budget for fun stuff, the money I have that doesn't go to bills or savings. It finally pushed me over the top when they forced digital conversion locally, where it was a price increase for the digital service itself, and it gave them a lot more control to squeeze more money out of me.

I live with two other people, and we had three televisions: One in the central living room, one in the basement (Where the exercise equipment is kept) and I had one on my PC via my TV tuner card. Immediately, Comcast declared this was three "outlets" (Even though we didn't use their equipment -- we have CableCARD ready devices) and each outlet was a $10 fee. Then, came the various "package choices", which (a) you buy an entire package of 20 to 30 channels for the sole one you actually want and (b) comes out to be pretty goddamn expensive. While my roommates and I could, on a technical level, afford the $35 jump ("It's barely over $10 each! Geez!" I can hear Karen huffing as fragments of M&Ms fly from her lips on to the microphone, haha), it very much became a "Well, I am going to vote with my dollar, and yeah, I can go without" situation. They can try to squeeze every dime of maximum profitability they can out of the customer, but at a certain point, I personally say no. While I can afford it, I don't value it that much. That still doesn't mean I don't lament losing it.

Video gaming seems to be heading that route, to squeeze each dime out of you that they can. The "recent additions" for XBox Live and what not? They're actually an extra fee on top of what you're already paying (And you'll be paying more for.) NetFlix? That's +$10. PSN+'s Hulu? That's what, +$12 (And the fact you need to upgrade your account from a free PSN one, to a fee-based PSN+ account)? I dislike where this is heading. If I were an XBox Live user, then yes, I'd definitely have reservations and complaints about the fee increase.

(c) On a final note, why don't you guys play LoL with some of us?! There was an attempt to get people together for LoL in the gaming sub-forum, but it appeared to have completely crapped the bed. I've only played with one forum member (Pantless Jedi) and we had a pretty good time, but it'd be nice to have a 5v5 practice game. We could even go easy on Higgins, and give him tips to help him get better as we play together.
jw_6179

Postby jax » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 4:20am

IcarusII wrote:I'm surprised Alice has a chance to breath when she attacks a topic with such gusto. She's certainly a speedier talker than Fitch, that's fo sho. :D Breath. Breath.

kenzo wrote:
Jesus Christ, tell me about it. I was getting overwhelmed listening to the podcast. She's basically a female Patrick, but speaks even faster and more frequently. Plus, when Patrick gets preachy, it's usually about something where he's in a position of relative authority on the subject. But Alice? Oh so wrong and uninformed on so many things. These are just the few that I remember:

jax from the episode 80 thread wrote:chu at least presents herself in a mature fashion. This is like listening to shrill asian chickie going on and on for ages. And she won't let anyone get a word in edgewise. Awful.

She's regular? For reals? Yuck.

nailed it.

absolutely terrible. Loud, talks way too much. 2nd geekbox I had to stop listening to.

She was terrible on 1up's flagship podcast and terrible here.
Last edited by jax on Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 7:18am, edited 1 time in total.
jax

Postby Kajaah117 » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 5:04am

http://lifehacker.com/5609988/a-compreh ... ttery-life

But as a few others mentioned, stay away from task killers. Killing tasks does nothing to help battery life, and the task killer apps that run in the background to monitor other apps defeat their own purpose. Other than that:

1. Charge with your AC adapter when possible and don't drain the battery too often. Lithium-ion batteries don't behave the same way Nickel-based batteries do, so don't wait until they fully discharge before you plug them back in as you would old Nickel-based batteries. That old "memory" crap we had to deal with with Nickel batteries is done. Forget everything you knew about those.

2. Turn off GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth unless you need it. That's just a given.

3. If you really don't like the idea of tons of apps running in the background, download an app called SystemPanelLite: http://www.appbrain.com/app/nextapp.systempanel. It allows you to set an activity threshold for the apps you kill, meaning you can tell it to kill only the apps that are already cached and won't automatically restart. This separates it from other task killers which could potentially kill off apps that will restart immediately, killing the battery and rendering the whole process pointless.

I own a Droid X and my battery last for 2-3 days on a full charge. As long as you follow those rules and prevent the battery itself from getting too hot, your battery life should be comparable.
Kajaah117

Postby Lombaszko » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 6:53am

Lombaszko

Postby ACSlayter » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 6:56am

kenzo wrote:"But Alice? Oh so wrong and uninformed on so many things."

"Jersey Shore is the single best thing to happen to television in the past two years"

You just made yourself look foolish.
Time to die, preppy.
ACSlayter

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 8:51am

^
No he didn't.
lemon-fresh

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 9:00am

Alice doesn't need to talk slower, you just need to listen faster.

Go Brock for being pro PS3, even if it's because you hate Microsoft. I'm pretty neutral towards systems, I can enjoy both because of exclusives, but it's nice to know there is someone else around that's not pooing on Sony.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Konanda » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 9:21am

uppi17 wrote:
kenzo wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks a lot Alice for bringing up the whole price argument again :(

If we have guests on the podcast they should be made to listen to every previous episodes so that they don't repeat arguments again :)

That was brought up on the forums not on the podcast and expecting the hosts to be versed in all the goings on in the forums is sheer madness. Well except for maybe Master Higgins he usually is pretty good at keeping up with what is posted on here.

kenzo wrote:

-Popeye's chicken is now $1.29 for two pieces. However, you can now buy the $1.29 chicken on both Tuesday and Thursday now.

-ESPN on 360, will merely allow you to access ESPN3 via your 360, which is already free via a computer. It's adding 'value' to XBL at zero cost to Microsoft or MS's infrastructure. This won't be available to everyone however, since just like on the PC, you can only access ESPN3 if your ISP has a licencing agreement with ESPN. If you're paying for an ISP that has paid licencing fees to ESPN, you're essentially already paying for ESPN3 (paying for an XBL Gold account to view ESPN3 on your TV is kind of like paying twice for the same thing, and I don't know how I feel about that).

-Alice doesn't like Jersey Shore because, "it's low class people being low class," which is just wrong and kind of snooty. That was easily the stupidest thing I've heard today, including the new episode of the Jersey Shore that I watched. Jersey Shore is the single best thing to happen to television in the past two years, and if you can't laugh with/at these Guidos, you don't have a soul.

I don't have a soul a cat stole it from me in the summer after grade 8. *Try to guess that reference*

jax wrote:

kenzo wrote:

jax from the episode 80 thread wrote:chu at least presents herself in a mature fashion. This is like listening to shrill asian chickie going on and on for ages. And she won't let anyone get a word in edgewise. Awful.

She's regular? For reals? Yuck.

nailed it.

absolutely terrible. Loud, talks way too much. 2nd geekbox I had to stop listening to.

She was terrible on 1up's flagship podcast and terrible here.

Hey asshole aren't you the guy who said he was going to leave in the last thread and than we all said peace. Why have you not left? Are you one of those boy who cried wolf types?
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby ACSlayter » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 10:21am

lemon-fresh wrote:^
No he didn't.

That show is terrible. How do you guys like it?
Time to die, preppy.
ACSlayter

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 10:45am

ACSlayter wrote:
lemon-fresh wrote:^
No he didn't.

That show is terrible. How do you guys like it?

They like it because its terrible.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 11:40am

Mr_eX wrote:They like it because its terrible.

Yup. Jersey Shore is one of my favorite shows of all time. Of. All. Time.

Ed: Dear god it's already six episodes into season 2!!!??? GIMME!
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 3rd, 2010 @ 12:06pm

I'd watch a fake reality show about superheroes.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Next
Forum Statistics