Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 82

Postby Rydog » Sep 9th, 2010 @ 8:06pm

Now that we're back from PAX (thanks to everyone who attended our panel -- I'll have audio and video for you all soon), it's time for another episode of your second or third favorite podcast on the Internet. Alice is out this week, but my lovely wife fills in to tell us about True Blood.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 82

Postby Konanda » Sep 9th, 2010 @ 8:09pm

Rydog wrote:Now that we're back from PAX (thanks to everyone who attended our panel -- I'll have audio and video for you all soon), it's time for another episode of your second or third favorite podcast on the Internet. Alice is out this week, but my lovely wife fills in to tell us about True Blood.

Don't tell me Alice is going the way of the Cruz already. Anyway looking forward to April talking about True Blood. I have a friend who watches that and it sounds kind of ridiculous the way she describes it.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Rydog » Sep 9th, 2010 @ 8:14pm

Konanda wrote:
Rydog wrote:Now that we're back from PAX (thanks to everyone who attended our panel -- I'll have audio and video for you all soon), it's time for another episode of your second or third favorite podcast on the Internet. Alice is out this week, but my lovely wife fills in to tell us about True Blood.

Don't tell me Alice is going the way of the Cruz already. Anyway looking forward to April talking about True Blood. I have a friend who watches that and it sounds kind of ridiculous the way she describes it.

Nah. Alice is just in the midst of dealing with some stuff that came up during PAX. She'll be back. :)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby Coctopus » Sep 9th, 2010 @ 8:19pm

I'm glad you were able to get through another PAX even though you were fluffernutterless this time. I hope it wasn't too much of a struggle.
Coctopus

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 9th, 2010 @ 8:26pm

Was going to come in wearing my 'Duke is Awesome' shirt then decided to just not bring up the argument. Beyond saying; there is space in the gaming world for realistic modern war games, sci-fi war games, WW2 war games and a game like Duke.

Also the only Duke games Ryan Scott would've really played is the first 2. Since FPS give him motion sickness. Until TF2 anyway.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby kenzo » Sep 9th, 2010 @ 8:38pm

Konanda wrote:Anyway looking forward to April talking about True Blood. I have a friend who watches that and it sounds kind of ridiculous the way she describes it.
True Blood is amazing in how shit-awesome it is.
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 9th, 2010 @ 9:35pm

Konanda wrote:it sounds kind of ridiculous the way she describes it.

It sounds ridiculous the way anyone describes it. Kind of like describing Lost, but instead of going "OMG Science!" you're going "OMG Vampires!"
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Sep 9th, 2010 @ 9:49pm

"OMG werepanthers!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 9th, 2010 @ 9:52pm

Wait, biker werewolf plot turned into werepanthers? Shit just got urgent.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Sep 9th, 2010 @ 10:22pm

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Wait, biker werewolf plot turned into werepanthers? Shit just got urgent.
Shit has pretty much been urgent all season. You need to tune in, man.
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 9th, 2010 @ 10:40pm

If I wasn't afraid of a nasty email I would torrent it. I guess I could stream it somewhere.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Sep 9th, 2010 @ 11:48pm

Get a friend with HBO, go rent/netflix the old seasons, do some research on direct downloads, whatever you gotta do.
kenzo

Postby jw_6179 » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 1:27am

True Blood is a fabulously trashy show. They need to show more boobs per episode, though. Now, I'm not saying boobs make the show better -- correlation, not causation, etc. -- but every time they show naked people, it's a better episode.

I was pretty pissed they pushed back this season's finale for Labor Day though, blarggggg. >_<

Also, I have such a total crush on Jessica. <3 She's my current #2 TV show crush, a close second behind Community's Annie.

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Wait, biker werewolf plot turned into werepanthers? Shit just got urgent.

Spoiler: show
You mean "biker werewolf plot turned in to meth dealer werepanthers". It's Breaking Bad meets the Howling.

... And panthers.
jw_6179

Postby kenzo » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 1:43am

So... what you're saying is that you've got a thing for jailbait?
kenzo

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 1:45am

You big dummies still haven't watched the Doctor Who Series 5 finale? HERE! WATCH IT AT THIS GUY'S DAILYMOTION CHANNEL!

http://www.dailymotion.com/IDavros/1
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby jw_6179 » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 2:35am

kenzo wrote:So... what you're saying is that you've got a thing for jailbait?

Annie's in her sophomore year of college!

She's also dating a guy who's like, 35.
jw_6179

Postby Kajaah117 » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 3:25am

Speaking of jail bait, does anybody else notice that Anna Paquin is constantly casted as the sexual interest for men more than twice her age? "The Squid and the Whale," "25th Hour," "Hurly Burly," and the two I'm not sure about: "Almost Famous" and "X-Men." "True Blood" counts too. Those vampires have been dead for decades. Centuries even.

Not to mention she's now married to Stephen Moyer. Those two are decades apart. So what the hell? Does she have a thing for older dudes, or did years of type-casting influence her sexual preferences?
Kajaah117

Postby IRL_Troll » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 3:53am

True Blood is awesome on the way Bill says "Sookeh" alone. Oh, and the gratuitous blood, sex, and other anomalies helps too
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby Raine » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 5:15am

Just started listening and I had to pause the podcast to set something straight:

The 90s was a good goddamn decade for a great many things. There was a lot of great music if you were willing to look past the mainstream, television was wayyyy better on average then the shit the previous decades gave us, and don't forget that the early - mid nineties saw the re-rise of independent film. Furthmore, you can't fall back on "everything was recycled in the 90s". Everything is a recycled version of something, and the 90s was no worse in this regard. The shit didn't really hit the fan with retreads until the 2000s.

edit - listened to some more

The True Blood vampire kings and queens thing is like an underground mafia style government, it's not admitted publicly. As far as them getting a hard on, well, it's magic. It can be fun to try to figure out how supernatural stuff works and it can add a certain depth to the mythos, but I'm willing to chalk Vampire boners up to the same magic that allows a dead thing to live while only drinking blood.

edit - listened to yet more

I'm gonna set aside the $10 XBL price hike, because my position is that $10 isn't that much but consumers should bitch about it as a matter of principle. What I would like to focus on is the argument that gaming is an expensive "white collar" hobby. Gaming can be expensive. A gamer easily could spend $150 a month. There's the initial investment in the hardware, yes, and there's the cost of internet if you play online. However, many gamers do not spend that much. I know, because I don't. I only buy budget or used titles, and I rent. I bought MGS4 for $30 and played the hell out of it, I bought GTA4 for $10 on a black friday sale, I bought Fallout 3 from Amazon for $13 and have logged 80 hours so far. I keep my eye open for an occasional Steam sale that interests me, and I'll occasionally rent and power through a title that I know isn't that long. I played through Heavy Rain for a total investment of $3.99, for instance.

The gamers that spend hundreds a month are the ones obsessed with owning the new hotness, the ones who splooge over their "AAA" titles. There are lots of gamers content to only buy a game every few months and play the shit out of it, or to only buy games on the cheap. The circles the Geekbox people travel in might be like that, "hardcore gamers" on the internet might be like that, but most gamers are not.
Raine

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 7:40am

90s > 80s
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jw_6179 » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 7:54am

Oh, I just wanted to add something:

Apparently, the Podcasters' concept of what "middle class" and "poverty level" is pretty screwed up. I heard Higgins claim that "Ryan, Karen, himself" etc. were near the poverty level. Are you familiar with what the poverty level in the United States is? It's actually pretty shameful that it's considered so low, and that there's actually people there (Or near it) who don't get very much help in this country.

Last year in the USA, the poverty level was $11,161. That just... Boggles my mind. The problem is, the "poverty level" in the US is determined by "bare minimum goods needed to survive". Unfortunately, these goods were established in the 1940s and 1950s. Luxury items, which a poor person "won't" have back then are practically mandatory by today's standards: a telephone, a car, etc. I am sure you'll balk at the concept of "you need a car", but keep in mind we're talking America, not San Francisco -- Kansas or Arkansas do not exactly have the BART or whatever.

And as a personal opinion, I think you guys buy in to the whole "everyone is middle class" thing. ;p It's a popular belief. Nobody wants to be considered poor -- not the guy who flips burgers at Jack In the Box at 43, or the woman who is cleaning houses, despite the fact these people are definitely in the bottom 20% of income.. Conversely, bankers who pull down $150k/year don't want to think of themselves as "rich", because "Hey! I work for my money!"

Finally, I hope everything worked out for Alice and she's fine. Hopefully she can be on the next Podcast!
jw_6179

Postby kenzo » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 8:02am

Mr_eX wrote:90s > 80s

Dude, I dunno. For some things, the 80s were clearly better. For starters, action films were way better in the 80s. So were TV comedies. I loved how all the cars from the 80s were hella boxy, and the 90s everything started to smooth out, look like turds, and every other car on the road was that atrocious 'forest green.' Plus, while hysterical, 80s fashion is better than 90s fashion. Music was (mostly) better in the 80s as well.

But the 90s were better for some things. Games, cartoons (both the Saturday morning variety and anime), rap, the country (the US) was relatively at peace and prosperous, we got the internet in the 90s, and bicycles became much more standardized and started using modern metal alloys in their frames.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 8:10am

jw_6179 wrote:...but keep in mind we're talking America, not San Francisco...
But keep in mind:
A.) San Francisco is a part of America
B.) The cost of living in California, and in particular San Francisco is much higher than other places in the country. The apartment I live in right now costs almost three times as much as the monthly mortgage payments my parents make on their much larger house. The poverty level differs depending on where you live, man.

Also, riding BART is fucking expensive. If I took BART from my apt to Downtown SF everyday, I'd pay $170/mo. I'm not sure that I could afford to BART into the city to work a minimum wage job.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 8:14am

Also, the 80s was better for Football (The Joe Montana days with more 49ers wins, zero Cowboys wins) but the 90s was better for Basketball (Jordan's reign, the '96 draft).
kenzo

Postby GiantAsianMan » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 8:31am

Raine wrote:Furthmore, you can't fall back on "everything was recycled in the 90s". Everything is a recycled version of something, and the 90s was no worse in this regard.

I agree completely. Higgins thinks 90's alternative is just a retread of 80's alt-rock? Then what was 80's alt-rock if not a retread of 70's punk? Same story, different generation.

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:90s > 80s

Dude, I dunno. For some things, the 80s were clearly better. For starters, action films were way better in the 80s. So were TV comedies.

Really? Seinfield, Friends, Frasier, Home Improvement, Mad About You, The Larry Sanders Show- some pretty good shows. We can argue the merit of specific shows all day, but I don't think the 80's are *clearly* better in this category.

But the 90s were better for some things. Games, cartoons (both the Saturday morning variety and anime), rap, the country (the US) was relatively at peace and prosperous, we got the internet in the 90s, and bicycles became much more standardized and started using modern metal alloys in their frames.

Wow, that's, uh... really specific.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby jw_6179 » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 8:34am

kenzo wrote:Also, riding BART is fucking expensive. If I took BART from my apt to Downtown SF everyday, I'd pay $170/mo. I'm not sure that I could afford to BART into the city to work a minimum wage job.

And thus, you prove my point. Minimum wage and poverty levels and what not in the US are not sufficient, in my opinion.

Finishing up the Podcast as we speak, and I do have to agree people overly idolize "the gaming industry", haha. The show "The Tester" was absolutely hilarious -- it's a competition for a low paying job that I can't imagine has a ton of opportunity for moving up very much. I can only imagine this show in other industries, like "The Parking Lot" about a guy at a grocery store who has to collect the shopping carts, or "The Dishwasher" at a restaurant.

Still, it's a pretty posh job. I busted my ass through high school and college, working some really shit jobs that paid next to nothing with zero benefits. Hanging drywall, working on a skiff trawling for oysters, working at a brickyard, etc. So yeah, sometimes when I hear about how "hard" it is to work in an office, my blood pressure goes up a bit, haha.

I'll tell you this much though: You do shit like that, you buckle the fuck down in school. In college, I knew plenty of people who'd skip classes, only take like, 6 credits a semester, etc. Definitely not me. I wanted to improve my situation in life.

And now I'm unemployed! Haha. =T

GiantAsianMan wrote:Really? Seinfield, Friends, Frasier, Home Improvement, Mad About You, The Larry Sanders Show- some pretty good shows. We can argue the merit of specific shows all day, but I don't think the 80's are *clearly* better in this category.

What, you didn't like Bosom Buddies?!

Last edited by jw_6179 on Sep 10th, 2010 @ 8:38am, edited 1 time in total.
jw_6179

Postby uppi17 » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 8:38am

I was the person that Higgins was referring to in the Letters section, but it sounds like someone else was talking to R Scott about the same thing. If it is the same thing then R Scott will be annoyed when he receives the gift.

Is that cryptic enough?
uppi17

Postby kenzo » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 8:46am

GiantAsianMan wrote:Really? Seinfield, Friends, Frasier, Home Improvement, Mad About You, The Larry Sanders Show- some pretty good shows. We can argue the merit of specific shows all day, but I don't think the 80's are *clearly* better in this category.
I don't think they're clearly better either, but all these shows are perfected versions of the laugh-track'd, situational comedy that became big in the 80s. Some of those shows are of dubious quality as well (Friends? Home Improvement? Reallyyy???). You could have just said, "Fresh Prince of Bel Air," though and won the argument hands down.

Wow, that's, uh... really specific.
But it's true. And when you think about it, those advancements are what allowed for the mainstreaming of BMX and Mountain biking in the 90s, making those sports absolutely huge. The 90s was a good decade for cycling.
kenzo

Postby jw_6179 » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 8:55am

kenzo wrote:I don't think they're clearly better either, but all these shows are perfected versions of the laugh-track'd, situational comedy that became big in the 80s.

Erm, you didn't watch The Larry Sanders Show, did you?
jw_6179

Postby GiantAsianMan » Sep 10th, 2010 @ 8:57am

kenzo wrote:I don't think they're clearly better either, but a all these shows are perfected version of the laugh-track'd, situational comedy that became big in the 80s. Some of those shows are of dubious quality as well (Friends? Home Improvement? Reallyyy???). You could have just said, "Fresh Prince of Bel Air," though and won the argument hands down.

Dubious quality? I think you need to separate "quality" from "things you like." I didn't like Friends, but I'm not going to doubt the impact that show had on the television landscape. Home Improvement was one of the more highly-regarded family sitcoms of all time. You don't have to like the show to acknowledge it's worth. And as for The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, I give you this:
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Next
Forum Statistics