Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 82

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 7:37pm

kenzo wrote:
Konanda wrote:You because you hate maple syrup.
Is that English?

Question.) NOW WHO EPIC FAILS, HUH KO!?
Answer.) You because you hate maple syrup.

Seriously? :P
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Konanda » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 7:41pm

kenzo wrote:
Is that English?

It seemed ok to me but I edited it to make it clearer.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 8:31pm

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:
kenzo wrote:
Is that English?

Question.) NOW WHO EPIC FAILS, HUH KO!?
Answer.) You because you hate maple syrup.

Seriously? :P
Sorry! A lack of food in my belly and commas in Ko's answer totally threw me off.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 9:15pm

I do not approve of the conversation shift to olives. Not even a little bit. I don't think even maple syrup could make olives edible.
LiQuid

Postby Coctopus » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 4:40am

I do not like either maple syrup or olives. Does this make me a communist?
Coctopus

Postby Konanda » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 5:54am

Coctopus wrote:I do not like either maple syrup or olives. Does this make me a communist?

No just someone with a terrible sense of taste. :D
Konanda

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 6:07am

And a communist.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Coctopus » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 6:39am

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:And a communist.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
Coctopus

Postby Bobloblaw » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 7:06am

LiQuid wrote:I do not approve of the conversation shift to olives. Not even a little bit. I don't think even maple syrup could make olives edible.

On a slightly related note, vodka does make olives edible.
Bobloblaw

Postby uppi17 » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 7:28am

I would get annoyed by someone insulting British food, but I can't as I'm one of the fussiest eaters ever. And also I can't take such an insult seriously from a nation whose contribution to the gourmet world is the hamburger (or the pizza). You should be more impressed by us Brits and our national dish of Curry :P
uppi17

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 10:34am

AND THIS WEEK'S FORUM INFERNO BEGINS ANEW!!! :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 10:44am

uppi17 wrote:I would get annoyed by someone insulting British food, but I can't as I'm one of the fussiest eaters ever. And also I can't take such an insult seriously from a nation whose contribution to the gourmet world is the hamburger (or the pizza). You should be more impressed by us Brits and our national dish of Curry :P

Fried chicken?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 11:28am

uppi17 wrote:I would get annoyed by someone insulting British food, but I can't as I'm one of the fussiest eaters ever. And also I can't take such an insult seriously from a nation whose contribution to the gourmet world is the hamburger (or the pizza). You should be more impressed by us Brits and our national dish of Curry :P
This represents a fundamental lack of knowledge concerning American food. I could write volumes of books on uniquely American food. Everything from Californian cuisine, to Creole cuisine; from Hawaiian to Soul food. You can make fun of American food's lack of culinary depth all you like, but you'd completely wrong.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 11:48am

uppi17 wrote: You should be more impressed by us Brits and our national dish of Curry :P

Time to post this again.

Curry is a multitude of Indian dishes that were just adapted into British cuisine dude. The word curry is an English word derived from the Tamil word Kari I'll give you that but as for Curry being a kind of British dish (I say kind of because many different kinds of dishes can be defined as a currry) you are very mistaken.

I'm suprised kenzo never picked up on this. You are slacking today kenzo.

This talk of curry makes me want a nice spicy chicken vindaloo now.
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 11:57am

Konanda wrote:I'm suprised kenzo never picked up on this. You are slacking today kenzo.
The razz-face implied that he was admitting that British food isn't very notable or unique. So I didn't comment on it.

Konanda wrote:This talk of curry makes me want a nice spicy chicken vindaloo now.
I had a bunch of curry about half a week ago and it was delicious. Spicy Indian curries are delicious, but it's not a food I can eat unlimited amounts of. But Thai curries? God, I need some of that NOW.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 12:13pm

kenzo wrote:
Konanda wrote:I'm suprised kenzo never picked up on this. You are slacking today kenzo.
The razz-face implied that he was admitting that British food isn't very notable or unique. So I didn't comment on it.

Pardon my intrusion, but isn't America a country of immigrants? Therefore, our cuisine is a culmination/adaptation of the foods and cooking from all the countries that came here. In essence, we wouldn't have American cuisine without the contribution of other countries.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Konanda » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 12:16pm

kenzo wrote:
Konanda wrote:This talk of curry makes me want a nice spicy chicken vindaloo now.
But Thai curries? God, I need some of that NOW.

DAMN YOU KENZO! I love Thai curries. GAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH! Now I really want curry but I have a fuck ton of gumbo left over. >_<

*contemplating buying curry chips now.*
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 12:47pm

jinpei05 wrote:Pardon my intrusion, but isn't America a country of immigrants? Therefore, our cuisine is a culmination/adaptation of the foods and cooking from all the countries that came here. In essence, we wouldn't have American cuisine without the contribution of other countries.
You can trace most foods in most places back to a foreign origin. But after a certain point and duration of time, the changes locals make to the cuisines become something else entirely. I mean, even though pasta came from China, and tomatoes came from the New World, you wouldn't call spaghetti Chinese, or American, or Chinese-American fusion food, right? It's Italian. Likewise, even though chowders came from Europe, there's nothing like New England clam chowder. And like I mentioned earlier, there's nothing in the world like say, Soul food, or Californian cuisine, which are entirely American.
kenzo

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 12:53pm

Yaaawwwwwnnnnnn!
lemon-fresh

Postby kenzo » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 12:55pm

Konanda wrote:DAMN YOU KENZO! I love Thai curries. GAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH! Now I really want curry but I have a fuck ton of gumbo left over. >_<

I'm stepping out of the house momentarily to go pick up some Thai curry from this joint around the block. It's gonna be so fucking good!

Also, curry chips are gross.
kenzo

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 2:02pm

Nope. Salt, curry and carbs go well together.
lemon-fresh

Postby Konanda » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 2:19pm

kenzo wrote:
Konanda wrote:DAMN YOU KENZO! I love Thai curries. GAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH! Now I really want curry but I have a fuck ton of gumbo left over. >_<

I'm stepping out of the house momentarily to go pick up some Thai curry from this joint around the block. It's gonna be so fucking good!

Also, curry chips are gross.

Compared to actual curry yes I prefer curry to curry chips although I will say I've had some pretty good ones here.Loblaws President's Choice brand actually has a bunch of awesome unique flavours of potato chips Sour Cream and Dill is my favourite followed by Tandoori Masala. (they say Chicken but really it's just the spice mixture)

What is gross though is poutine flavoured chips even though poutine is amazing. Really anyone buying those should just go buy or make poutine instead.

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Pardon my intrusion, but isn't America a country of immigrants? Therefore, our cuisine is a culmination/adaptation of the foods and cooking from all the countries that came here. In essence, we wouldn't have American cuisine without the contribution of other countries.
You can trace most foods in most places back to a foreign origin. But after a certain point and duration of time, the changes locals make to the cuisines become something else entirely. I mean, even though pasta came from China, and tomatoes came from the New World, you wouldn't call spaghetti Chinese, or American, or Chinese-American fusion food, right? It's Italian. Likewise, even though chowders came from Europe, there's nothing like New England clam chowder. And like I mentioned earlier, there's nothing in the world like say, Soul food, or Californian cuisine, which are entirely American.

Spaghetti also uses wheat noodles so you should also consider it Turkish since that is where wheat was first domesticated.
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 2:22pm

jinpei05 wrote:
kenzo wrote:

Pardon my intrusion, but isn't America a country of immigrants? Therefore, our cuisine is a culmination/adaptation of the foods and cooking from all the countries that came here. In essence, we wouldn't have American cuisine without the contribution of other countries.

What about Mexican-American food not all of that is adapted from Spanish food some of that is from the native Mesoamericans. Same goes for food that the First Nations created up here (just instead you are subbing in French or English for Spanish) like maple syrup. It all comes back to maple syrup.
Konanda

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 2:53pm

I like corn.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 3:36pm

Corn is good.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 3:44pm

I'm finicky about corn. It needs to be fresh, of a particular variety, and prepared right. I refuse to eat canned or frozen corn.
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 3:57pm

Most things canned or frozen are gross.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 3:59pm

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Most things canned or frozen are gross.
But it's remarkably acceptable to serve frozen or canned corn, or to use those as an ingredient in cooking.
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 4:16pm

kenzo wrote:
BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Most things canned or frozen are gross.
But it's remarkably acceptable to serve frozen or canned corn, or to use those as an ingredient in cooking.

What's cheap is the main factor here.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 4:23pm

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:What's cheap is the main factor here.
But it's not, really. Fresh corn is incredibly cheap. It's a convenience factor. You don't have to boil or roast a can of corn for a dozen or so minutes in order for it to be edible. And you don't have to saw a bunch of canned corn off a cob either in order to put it into a dish.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics