Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 82

Postby Konanda » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 4:49pm

kenzo wrote:
BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:What's cheap is the main factor here.
But it's not, really. Fresh corn is incredibly cheap. It's a convenience factor. You don't have to boil or roast a can of corn for a dozen or so minutes in order for it to be edible. And you don't have to saw a bunch of canned corn off a cob either in order to put it into a dish.

Ya they had 8 cobs of local sweet corn for a dollar at Fortinos last week.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 2:43am

kenzo wrote:
BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:What's cheap is the main factor here.
But it's not, really. Fresh corn is incredibly cheap. It's a convenience factor. You don't have to boil or roast a can of corn for a dozen or so minutes in order for it to be edible. And you don't have to saw a bunch of canned corn off a cob either in order to put it into a dish.

Cheap isn't only a money thing.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 3:00am

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Cheap isn't only a money thing.
Please elaborate.
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 3:15am

kenzo wrote:
BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Cheap isn't only a money thing.
Please elaborate.

3. Achieved with little effort: a cheap victory; cheap laughs.

The low effort in preparing frozen or canned corn makes it cheap.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 3:38am

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:The low effort in preparing frozen or canned corn makes it cheap.
You should have said that from the beginning.
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 3:55am

Possibly.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby LiQuid » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 4:01am

Bear, are you trying to say that canned corn is inherently bad, or that it pales in comparison to a straight up ear of the shit? Cause I love the fuck out of some corn any way I can take it and cracking open a can of it, splashing on some Tabasco and digging a spoon in is one of my absolute favorite ways to consume it. I live in a state with one of the best state fairs in the country and we know how to roast us some motherfucking corn, so I can accept that it's great fresh, but DO NOT argue against the worth of having that shit in a can please.
LiQuid

Postby Raine » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 4:08am

I got no problem with corn. Fresh is good, but canned and frozen have their uses as well.

Regarding American cuisine, others have defended it pretty well, but I would like to point out that nobody does trashy quite like we do. Sometimes you just want some horrible thing that's short on subtleties and loaded with sugar and fat, and by God we've mastered that. Some people may look down on hamburgers, fried chicken, or the shit that's available on your local "Number 1 Super Chinese Buffet!", but I'm proud of those things!
Raine

Postby LiQuid » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 4:11am

We invented motherfucking FUNNEL CAKE. We are the superior nation by a mofaking MILE.
LiQuid

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 4:14am

LiQuid wrote:Bear, are you trying to say that canned corn is inherently bad, or that it pales in comparison to a straight up ear of the shit? Cause I love the fuck out of some corn any way I can take it and cracking open a can of it, splashing on some Tabasco and digging a spoon in is one of my absolute favorite ways to consume it. I live in a state with one of the best state fairs in the country and we know how to roast us some motherfucking corn, so I can accept that it's great fresh, but DO NOT argue against the worth of having that shit in a can please.

We can't all be passionate about corn. I didn't say corn was worthless. I said I like corn and that most canned or frozen food was gross. Maybe gross was too strong of a word, more like not very flavorful. I'll eat canned, or frozen corn, I'm not apposed to it, you just have to spruce it up a little. Saying it was cheap meant it was easy to prepare. I never said I wouldn't eat the stuff.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 4:15am

Deep Fried Twinkie!
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby LiQuid » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 4:18am

I approve of your renewed stance on corn. Denounce your renewed stance on Twinkies.
LiQuid

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 4:20am

It's American carnival food, what's not to love?
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 4:26am

I said I didn't like canned corn. It's not that it's intrinsically bad - I won't refuse to eat it. It's that I loved fresh corn so much, that eating canned/frozen corn just makes me sad and lament. I can't help but think, "this could be fresh, and it could be so much better than it is from this can/freezer." It's an involuntary thought process.

But like all things in life, there are exceptions to the rules, and one of the most delicious things on earth is canned baby corn.

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:It's American carnival food, what's not to love?
How it's too sweet, or too many calories, or will cause you to develop the twosies.
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 4:29am

kenzo wrote:
How it's too sweet, or too many calories, or will cause you to develop the twosies.

Yeah yeah, but carnival makes it okay.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 4:41am

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:
kenzo wrote:
No, it doesn't. But the beer and games at carnival makes you forget that it's bad.
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 7:07am

kenzo wrote:
BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:
kenzo wrote:
No, it doesn't. But the beer and games at carnival makes you forget that it's bad.

I was speaking more towards the mom excuse of "it's okay if the kids/I eat another Deep Fried WhateverYouWantDeepFriendataCarnival because we're at the carnival"

Beer and carnivals do not mix for me, especially the ones that like to play old Southern Rock, I get carried away.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Bobloblaw » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 7:13am

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Beer and carnivals do not mix for me, especially the ones that like to play old Southern Rock, I get carried away.

There are carnivals out there that don't play old Southern Rock?
Bobloblaw

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 7:37am

Bobloblaw wrote:
BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Beer and carnivals do not mix for me, especially the ones that like to play old Southern Rock, I get carried away.

None that I'm aware of or have ever been too.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 10:27am

For those lucky bastards who live in LA, I covet your ability to have Kogi's Korean-Mexican fusion tacos:

Now THAT'S some mutherfucking AMERICAN cuisine.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 10:36am

I'm hungry!
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Konanda » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 12:05pm

Raine wrote:I got no problem with corn. Fresh is good, but canned and frozen have their uses as well.

Regarding American cuisine, others have defended it pretty well, but I would like to point out that nobody does trashy quite like we do. Sometimes you just want some horrible thing that's short on subtleties and loaded with sugar and fat, and by God we've mastered that. Some people may look down on hamburgers, fried chicken, or the shit that's available on your local "Number 1 Super Chinese Buffet!", but I'm proud of those things!

Your restaurants also serve the most ridiculously huge portions! Whenever I've ate at a restaurant in the U.S. I serious think they are wanting to make me fat serving up such a huge portion. It's like wherever you go is like eating at a rural truck stop or diner where everything is enormous and looks like heart attack material. Although I will note this could just be the more eastern side of the midwest (Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Minnesota*) as that is my limited experience when it comes to travelling in the U.S. Just like how the talk of rural truck stop or diner is talking about in Ontario and Quebec. (southern Ontario and southern Quebec in particular)

*I know it's further west but I included this with the exception that it is verified by a friend who just went back to Minnesota from Ottawa to visit her family and primary/secondary school friends

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

None that I'm aware of or have ever been too.

Up here it's either oldies (80s and 90s in particular) or whatever pop song is in the current top 5 position in the charts.

I went to a fair last year where a bunch of the rides kept playing a Lady GaGa song.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 2:02pm

jinpei05 wrote:For those lucky bastards who live in LA, I covet your ability to have Kogi's Korean-Mexican fusion tacos:

Dude, that's just the start of things. Fancy taco trucks are all the rage all over the West Coast.
Konanda wrote:Your restaurants also serve the most ridiculously huge portions! Whenever I've ate at a restaurant in the U.S.
Things are definitely bigger in the Midwest/Texas. This used to serve a purpose. Farmers who worked in the fields all day (which used to be the majority of the population there) require a lot of calories for energy. It's still traditional in parts of the Midwest to eat the largest meal of the day during Lunch, so that you have enough energy to the fields in the afternoon.

But nowadays, farming operations are so mechanized and require such little labor (at least for the majority of crops that are grown in the Midwest) that people just don't require the same caloric intake they used to. But the culture of big food still remains, and thus - fatness.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 2:09pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:For those lucky bastards who live in LA, I covet your ability to have Kogi's Korean-Mexican fusion tacos:

Dude, that's just the start of things. Fancy taco trucks are all the rage all over the West Coast.

Yes, but Kogi was the first and still best. I covet!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 2:19pm

jinpei05 wrote:Yes, but Kogi was the first and still best. I covet!
Come on, you don't know that.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 2:25pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Yes, but Kogi was the first and still best. I covet!
Come on, you don't know that.

It's true, I haven't had every cheap imitator's fusion tacos. But when Kogi is just that awesome, it's hard to want to move on, even to compare.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 2:34pm

jinpei05 wrote:It's true, I haven't had every cheap imitator's fusion tacos. But when Kogi is just that awesome, it's hard to want to move on, even to compare.
Cheap imitators is how an oddity in the food landscape becomes a cuisine on its own. Eventually, one of those 'cheap imitators' is actually gonna do the shit better than the original. It's just the natural way of things. And it's been long enough that I'm confident that there are imitators out there that aren't so cheap anymore.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 2:51pm

kenzo wrote:Cheap imitators is how an oddity in the food landscape becomes a cuisine on its own. Eventually, one of those 'cheap imitators' is actually gonna do the shit better than the original. It's just the natural way of things. And it's been long enough that I'm confident that there are imitators out there that aren't so cheap anymore.

Highly doubtful.

I've met the chef and had a chance to speak with him. Even to this day, there are a handful of Korean business men and other would-be entrepreneurs who get in line almost every day to try his shit, just to figure out how he cooks his meat and what spices he uses. He never stops innovating and re-creating, because he knows the second someone does it better than him, he's yesterdays news. And that's why he'll stay on top, at least for a while longer.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 3:13pm

How is that highly doubtful? That's just how the business works. The testimony you cite from the guy basically admits that. And as much as he might try his hardest to stay on top, it's an axiom that there's always someone out there who is better than you, and it's only a matter of time until they come out of the woodwork and take up the challenge. This isn't just an LA thing anymore, these kinds of gourmet taco trucks are all over the Bay Area, NYC, and other metropoles. If anything, it's highly likely.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 3:18pm

Not Chicago, unfortunately. There's a city statue preventing food being sold off trucks. :cry:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics