Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 83

Postby Rydog » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 11:37pm

I sound sick as hell in this week's episode, where I'm finally on the upswing and recovering from PAX plague... just in time to talk about Jersey Shore and Pedobear. WTF?
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 83

Postby kenzo » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 11:52pm

Oh no! I thought I'd put all this Jersey Shore hating nonsense behind me!

Edit: OMG! Karen Chu, you're awesome!
kenzo

Postby Dead_Reckoning » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 3:20am

Carrots don't improve your eye sight GAWD Karen, also, get your husband back on. I miss hearing him.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/carrots.asp
Dead_Reckoning

Postby flufflogic » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 5:43am

The carrots thing was a myth to cover up the invention of radar, if I remember correctly...
flufflogic

Postby IRL_Troll » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 6:55am

flufflogic wrote:The carrots thing was a myth to cover up the invention of radar, if I remember correctly...

As wacky as that sounds....fact

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/carrots.asp
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby flufflogic » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 7:35am

I've gotta defend Tool Academy too, as sheer entertainment. It also included one of my favourite TV moments ever, described here, that has the following dialogue:

"And, and... AND FUCK THIS FUCKING APPLE!"
*Throws apple*
'Dude, that was my apple!'
"Sorry, brah."
flufflogic

Postby Lombaszko » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 7:39am

Karen, you are 100% correct about how the Jersey Shore is better than the Real World. We record both and I can only get through about ten minutes of the Real World before I leave the room. The people on that show are so stupid and boring. At least the people on Jersey Shore and stupid and interesting!
Lombaszko

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 7:42am

3 minutes in, already awesome.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby ProtocolSnow » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 7:53am

Sammi is probably the dumbest girl on the entire East Coast, but I wouldn't be so quick to call the whole Jersey Shore cast stupid. The guys in particular come up with Seinfeld-caliber concepts, be it "shirt before a shirt", GTL, grenade, beat up the beat etc. that are quickly becoming part of the vernacular. There's at least 2-3 lines in every episode that are just shy of genius in how clever they are. I'm sure overarching plot elements are scripted (no doubt the producers introduced the letter idea in season 2), but I believe the dialogue is genuine. And even if it's all fake, who cares, it's still fine entertainment. Like Karen, I just started watching Jersey Shore last month and I'm all caught up with the latest episode. It is a really brilliant show.
Last edited by ProtocolSnow on Sep 16th, 2010 @ 9:00am, edited 1 time in total.
ProtocolSnow

Postby Lombaszko » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 8:10am

ProtocolSnow wrote:The guys in particular come up with Seinfeld-caliber concepts, be it "shirt before a shirt", GTL, grenade, beat up the beat etc.

That's a really great way to look at it, "Seinfeld-caliber concepts" is the perfect description. It's the type of stuff my friends and I would come up with if we lived together.
Lombaszko

Postby IRL_Troll » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 8:29am

Really? You guys (mainly Alice and Karen) go mush for Gaga....but then revile Bieber? They're both pop shit, they both write their own music and are "talented" "musicians (they write their own music, and can actually play instruments and sometimes even do the instrumentations in their songs)" and yet Bieber merits the hate while Gaga gets none. The main difference between them is their pitch
Oh, and Master Higgins, it's okay to listen to this shit once so when you go back to being out of touch, it's at least justified.
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby flufflogic » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 9:00am

Just got up to the CLINT bit. To explain:

CLINT, as you can tell from that title and the explanation Higgins gives, is aimed at the same people as the likes of Loaded, Maxim and the like. Over here we have two magazines (Zoo and Nuts, such great titles :roll: ) that basically killed off the bigger ones by being weekly, and the idea behind CLINT is to try break into this market with comics. This is A Good Idea™ because, like, people watch comic movies and stuff.

So basically, it's officially aimed at twenty-somethings, but really it's for late teens.
flufflogic

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 9:22am

My favorite Real World was Seattle. Guess why (there's at least two reasons)...
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Lombaszko » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 9:25am

jinpei05 wrote:My favorite Real World was Seattle. Guess why (there's at least two reasons)...

When Stephen stops the cab to slap Irene in the face?
Lombaszko

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 9:39am

Lombaszko wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:My favorite Real World was Seattle. Guess why (there's at least two reasons)...

When Stephen stops the cab to slap Irene in the face?

Okay, three. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 10:24am

Lombaszko wrote:Karen, you are 100% correct about how the Jersey Shore is better than the Real World. We record both and I can only get through about ten minutes of the Real World before I leave the room. The people on that show are so stupid and boring. At least the people on Jersey Shore and stupid and interesting!

Really? I think the current season of the real world has one of the better casts.
lemon-fresh

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 10:38am

I'm a little surprised that Halo Reach wasn't brought up at all but I shouldn't be.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Cris » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 10:41am

Justin Haywald: poor video game journalist calling millionaires he has never met or seen stupid
Cris

Postby Lombaszko » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 10:49am

lemon-fresh wrote:Really? I think the current season of the real world has one of the better casts.

Well, everyone has different tastes but I thought it was so boring. You got the red head from Northeastern who did nothing but wear her Northeastern sweat shirt the entire time, I think she was basically the designated driver for the cast. Then you got the wannabe singer with the smokey voice (although I will say her drunk/loser boyfriend was pretty funny). You got the chubby white kid, Knight, who thinks he is awesome. Then there's the gay guy and the guy with gay tendencies who fights with the gay guy. Plus they have already had a season in New Orleans. It just seemed bland to me. I think a lot of recent cast members try to act up on the show so they can get a spot on the Real World Challenges so they can get some money.

I'm probably just not the demographic for this show. I can't take them seriously, and they try so hard to be taken serious. Where as Jersey Shore is enjoyable to me because all they do is party and fight... and GTL.
Lombaszko

Postby kftgr » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 10:58am

"Who Do You Think You Are?" is an interesting show. The Lisa Kudrow one was great, but what killed it for me was that they kept on showing the clip in the promos of Sarah Jessica Parker going "oh my god, this totally changes who I am!" when she found out that her ancestor was a Salem witch. It's so damn overdramatic. This is an event that's so far in the past that if it changes everything about you, then you've got no self worth at all. Damn witch!
kftgr

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 11:16am

Fuck you Ryan Scott and your illogical hatred of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. I met Robert Smigel and that guy is one of the funniest comedians ever.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Dead_Reckoning » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 11:21am

jinpei05 wrote:Fuck you Ryan Scott and your illogical hatred of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. I met Robert Smigel and that guy is one of the funniest comedians ever.

Triumph was funny when I was 14-15

=/

I'm 27 now. It's old and it's the same shtick.
Dead_Reckoning

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 11:32am

Dead_Reckoning wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Fuck you Ryan Scott and your illogical hatred of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. I met Robert Smigel and that guy is one of the funniest comedians ever.

Triumph was funny when I was 14-15

=/

I'm 27 now. It's old and it's the same shtick.

If that's how you feel, fine. But I still crack up at the Star Wars Episode II premiere he crashed.

Additionally, he's one of the reasons why Conan O'Brien is so funny (Robert Smigel is one of his writers).
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby bonbon123 » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 11:38am

I lol'd when Karen said that the Jersey Shore cast was in their natural habbitat. The Jersey Shore cast is made up of mostly New Yorkers. Being from NJ, the whole thing seems to be even faker now than before. During the summer (when they were filming the next season) I would see Facebook posts of people saying that they were going to the shore to see if they could watch them film the show. Plus, I hate when people ask me where I'm from and I say NJ, because 9 out of 10 times there response will be, "Jersey Shore lol!". No, just no.
bonbon123

Postby Kifftopher » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 11:42am

What is going on with the pax panel recording? Will we ever hear it or not?
Kifftopher

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 12:04pm

Lombazko and ProtocolSnow - you guys are also awesome.

IRL_Troll wrote:Really? You guys (mainly Alice and Karen) go mush for Gaga....but then revile Bieber?
Hold up Troll, are you seriously defending The Beibs? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bonbon123 wrote:I would see Facebook posts of people saying that they were going to the shore to see if they could watch them film the show.
You know, I was worried about shit seeming really fake now that they're famous. One of the great parts of Season 1 was that these people were just anonymous for the most part, so they acted like regular people and had regular people problems (trouble with the ladies, and so forth). But this season is proving to be just as entertaining, even though they're famous. I mean, even Snooki is bringing people home now and getting some! Shit is going nuts!
kenzo

Postby Cris » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 12:35pm

I love hypocritical game journalists who are so against game piracy but pirate TV shows without a care.
Cris

Postby IRL_Troll » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 12:38pm

kenzo wrote:Lombazko and ProtocolSnow - you guys are also awesome.

IRL_Troll wrote:Really? You guys (mainly Alice and Karen) go mush for Gaga....but then revile Bieber?
Hold up Troll, are you seriously defending The Beibs? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am....there's no cure for Beiber fever
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 12:39pm

IRL_Troll wrote:I am....there's no cure for Beiber fever
Is that what they're calling pedophilia these days?
kenzo

Postby IRL_Troll » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 12:41pm

kenzo wrote:
IRL_Troll wrote:I am....there's no cure for Beiber fever
Is that what they're calling pedophilia these days?

......you know too much sir
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Next
Forum Statistics