Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 89

Postby kenzo » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 12:35pm

Konanda wrote:Here's hoping all three of them (Ray, Richard and Jade) find something better quickly.
Wow, that's really brutal. And here I thought Ray was being groomed to be Jeremy's replacement. Why does 1up keep firing the only reasons I continue to visit that website?

compellinggameplay wrote:Sad I couldn't join in, but I'm excited that Ray finally made it on. And he lives relatively close to the comic shop, so hopefully he'll be able to drop in regularly!
I was afraid that we scared you off! More bonus points for Mr. Haywald!
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 12:39pm

kenzo wrote:
Konanda wrote:Here's hoping all three of them (Ray, Richard and Jade) find something better quickly.
Wow, that's really brutal. And here I thought Ray was being groomed to be Jeremy's replacement. Why does 1up keep firing the only reasons I continue to visit that website?

compellinggameplay wrote:Sad I couldn't join in, but I'm excited that Ray finally made it on. And he lives relatively close to the comic shop, so hopefully he'll be able to drop in regularly!
I was afraid that we scared you off! More bonus points for Mr. Haywald!

Ya like I said 5 people and a freelancer are the people left that I really dig hearing/reading and I guess Justin sometimes he has some cool insights. So 6 people and a freelancer.

It used to number somewhere in the 20s or so.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby lemon-fresh » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 1:06pm

I'm assuming the people in charge have no clue why the site is/was popular or there just isn't enough money and it's a sinking ship... I'm going with the latter.
lemon-fresh

Postby Raine » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 1:08pm

I stopped checking out anything related to 1up when they fired Sharkey, and now that Ray is gone I will never look back. Parrish is the only person left I care about and he has his side gig going if I want his musings on subjects.

Also, I'm going to assume that every mother fucker that works in that office is keeping their ears open for other job offers and quietly making inquiries. They'd be stupid not too.
Raine

Postby Konanda » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 1:16pm

lemon-fresh wrote:I'm assuming the people in charge have no clue why the site is/was popular or there just isn't enough money and it's a sinking ship... I'm going with the latter.

Sam wrote a blog about it recently. Seems that even though they are getting more traffic especially with the new relaunch and redesign of the site they are still overbudget in expenses so Uncle Hearst is making some cuts. (some people from UGO got canned to)
Konanda

Postby Bobloblaw » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 1:22pm

Konanda wrote:Sam wrote a blog about it recently. Seems that even though they are getting more traffic especially with the new relaunch and redesign of the site they are still overbudget in expenses so Uncle Hearst is making some cuts. (some people from UGO got canned to)

Down economies suck.
Bobloblaw

Postby lemon-fresh » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 1:30pm

Shitty.
lemon-fresh

Postby achickenchaser » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 1:31pm

Just testing something out here.

You guys should talk about WoW every podcast. That game is awesome!!! There can never be enough WoW talk. Keep it up, please.

Also, it sucks that 1up is still losing people. I always liked the at1up podcast. Everyone seemed to have good chemistry together on the show. There really is next to no reason to visit the site now. I suppose the new 8-4 podcast and ATB still make it worth a visit. That's about it.
achickenchaser

Postby thequiffisdead » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 2:21pm

Hooray for Ray. Would be totally happy to have him on as a regular. As soon as I heard this morning (UK time) I downloaded the episode and listened to it during the drive to and from work.

Was really sad to hear about more layoffs, 1UP still have a few good people, but it's the people that make me go back to the site...if this continues and it becomes just another faceless website then I won't bother going back.
thequiffisdead

Postby leebenningfield » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 9:49pm

I was disappointed to hear about the latest layoffs at 1up. I was never a huge fan of the website itself, because i don't really read reviews, and get most of my news from other forums. But I loved all of the podcasts, most of the people were interesting and/or funny.

It was cool to hear Ray on the show this week. I loved the quip about "Realms of ADR" in reference to the MMO that's all voiced-over, that nobody laughed at...

They need to get Jade on the show again now. Her rants are as good and amusing as Ryan's.
leebenningfield

Postby rdb » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 10:16pm

leebenningfield wrote:It was cool to hear Ray on the show this week. I loved the quip about "Realms of ADR" in reference to the MMO that's all voiced-over, that nobody laughed at...
Thank you.

Also to the dude in the comments on the blog who mentioned Microsoft's other games, I do stand corrected. I loved AOE too :(
rdb
Full Hipster

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 10:21pm

rdb wrote:
leebenningfield wrote:It was cool to hear Ray on the show this week. I loved the quip about "Realms of ADR" in reference to the MMO that's all voiced-over, that nobody laughed at...
Thank you.

Also to the dude in the comments on the blog who mentioned Microsoft's other games, I do stand corrected. I loved AOE too :(

Hey new guy you should go introduce yourself on the Introduce yourself thread. /jinpei.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby kenzo » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 10:23pm

rdb wrote:Also to the dude in the comments on the blog who mentioned Microsoft's other games, I do stand corrected. I loved AOE too :(
The blog and the forums users don't mix. We hate those blog guys. It's better that way.
kenzo

Postby compellinggameplay » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 10:25pm

rdb wrote:
Konanda wrote:

I think Ray was on once before I can't remember the episode though. Although I'm probably mistaken.

Justin already forgot that I was on before, WITH HIM. His absence was probably why I didn't bring my A game. (just my A- game, HAHA CALLBACKS)

I didn't forget you were on before! I meant I was glad you finally made it back on -- it's not like I haven't tried to convince you before.

I feel sorry for the people who listen to ITT, though. Without Ray, that podcast is a ship slowly drifting out to sea. I hope Leone takes it over.
compellinggameplay
Super Intern

Postby kenzo » Oct 28th, 2010 @ 10:36pm

ITT: ITT
kenzo

Postby lemon-fresh » Oct 29th, 2010 @ 6:55am

Great episode, was good to hear Ray again.
:)
lemon-fresh

Postby Cris » Oct 29th, 2010 @ 7:09am

Cris

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 29th, 2010 @ 7:29am

Cris wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwyMB19q7ms&feature=player_embedded

Best blizzcon question ever

Okay stop. stop stop stop. This is the Third time this video has been posted and I posted it first.

Second was Lord Korax on the first page of THIS THREAD and first was me,

http://forums.geekbox.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2117&start=40

So yeah, just stop posting this Asperger dude.
KindGalaxy

Postby flufflogic » Oct 29th, 2010 @ 8:03am

By the way, both Overlord games had fat fairies. Then again, Overlord had fat EVERYTHING.
flufflogic

Postby Cris » Oct 29th, 2010 @ 11:26am

KindGalaxy wrote:
Cris wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwyMB19q7ms&feature=player_embedded

Best blizzcon question ever

Okay stop. stop stop stop. This is the Third time this video has been posted and I posted it first.

Second was Lord Korax on the first page of THIS THREAD and first was me,

http://forums.geekbox.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2117&start=40

So yeah, just stop posting this Asperger dude.

I'm on my phone so I didn't read alll the pages.

Has anyone posted Keanu Reeves carrying the kid who broke his leg yet?
Cris

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 29th, 2010 @ 6:50pm

Has anyone posted Keanu Reeves carrying the kid who broke his leg yet?

That was a funny dance the dude did though, I saw that live on the feed and was like 'fuck' but it didn't really look broken, maybe just dinted himself, it really didn't look like bone was broken.
KindGalaxy

Postby Konanda » Oct 29th, 2010 @ 9:52pm

KindGalaxy wrote:

Also the other video on his channel.

Konanda

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 29th, 2010 @ 9:56pm

To be fair he would've been 16 at that time. Come on. If he did it himself, at 16, that's pretty rad. At least he has creative energy. More than most. More than me. I just drink alot.
KindGalaxy

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 29th, 2010 @ 10:02pm

His video reminds me of this;

Which is also awesome
KindGalaxy

Postby Rydog » Oct 30th, 2010 @ 12:44am

Konanda wrote:
KindGalaxy wrote:

Also the other video on his channel.

...while we're on the subject of awesome YouTube videos.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 30th, 2010 @ 1:21am

That dude looked like your brother Ryan, and by 'that dude' I mean the movie store clerk, with his wavy surfer blonde hair.
KindGalaxy

Postby kenzo » Oct 31st, 2010 @ 9:31pm

I don't mind WoW talk as much as other people do on here. At the very least, to me it's informing on an aspect of videogame and nerd culture that I know nothing about. But it was pretty weaksauce to ask Ray on the podcast as a guest, then immediately dive into WoW talk for some 20 minutes which he can't really talk about. Super awkward.
kenzo

Postby uppi17 » Nov 1st, 2010 @ 1:53am

kenzo wrote:I don't mind WoW talk as much as other people do on here. At the very least, to me it's informing on an aspect of videogame and nerd culture that I know nothing about. But it was pretty weaksauce to ask Ray on the podcast as a guest, then immediately dive into WoW talk for some 20 minutes which he can't really talk about. Super awkward.

Yeah, I thought it was very weird that Ray didn't really say much. Although considering we've had the highly talkative Jinpei and Patrick as guests, I found it a welcome relief :)
uppi17

Postby Bobloblaw » Nov 1st, 2010 @ 7:29am

kenzo wrote: ... then immediately dive into WoW talk for some 20 minutes which he can't really talk about. Super awkward.

They acknowledged it and owned the awkwardness. What are you going to do when two went to and one watched the video feed of BlizzCon? Not talk about it? It is the first majority common experience for the podcast cast since LOST or Burn Notice.
Bobloblaw

Postby lemon-fresh » Nov 1st, 2010 @ 11:57am

Seemed fine to me, some of you guys have gotta stop being so overly sensitive to a changing dynamic.
lemon-fresh

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics