Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 90

Postby Rydog » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 12:00am

This week's episode was recorded as the San Francisco Giants won the World Series. Thankfully, Karen wasn't murdered by rioters on her way home. Go Giants, or something.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 90

Postby kenzo » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 12:35am

LET'S GO GI-ANTS!!!!!!!!! *clap, clap, clapclapclap*

You poor fucking bastards were recording the podcast instead of watching the Giants win the World Series. Epic Norcal-fail.

Rydog wrote:Thankfully, Karen wasn't murdered by rioters on her way home. Go Giants, or something.
You joke about it, but someone got murdered in the Marina during all that.
kenzo

Postby Raine » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 4:59am

I didn't think anyone under the age of 40 gave a shit about baseball.
Raine

Postby gavv » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 5:09am

errors about rock band 3...

Karen, RB1 and 2 tracks are *not* 'sensed' and loaded. All the *rock band store* tracks you bought while playing RB1 & 2 load automatically in RB3.

64 out of 83 tracks having keyboard out of the box isn't enough for you Ryan? just curious ;)...

and inside of RB3 it's added how you can sort and filter the long list which greatly improves how you can search through your track collection

gavv
gavv

Postby achickenchaser » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 5:41am

During the Rangers/Yankees series, I was cheering for the Yanks just to be a dick and annoy all the bandwagon fans. Almost nobody cared about the Rangers up until a few weeks ago. Then all of a sudden it was Ranger nation around here. I'm sure they're all gone now and we can get back to cheering for the Cowb......oh.....oh god :(

Seriously, the only sport I care about is the NFL these days.
achickenchaser

Postby IRL_Troll » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 6:45am

There better be this much talk about the Australian Open when it comes back around
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby Konanda » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 7:10am

kenzo wrote:LET'S GO GI-ANTS!!!!!!!!! *clap, clap, clapclapclap*

You poor fucking bastards were recording the podcast instead of watching the Giants win the World Series. Epic Norcal-fail.

Rydog wrote:Thankfully, Karen wasn't murdered by rioters on her way home. Go Giants, or something.
You joke about it, but someone got murdered in the Marina during all that.

Man at least when we have a kind of riot when some huge upset happens in the NHL team of the respective city or across the country when Canada wins the gold in hockey we all just get drunk and crowd the streets.

Well except Montreal they set fire to shit and things. However nobody died during any of those. The worst back in 1998 had like 40 people injured but that one was particularly bad and the one in 2008 had nobody injured.

Hell even recently in Toronto during the G20 protests nobody got killed, some protesters and police got injured however most of that was because of the Black Bloc, which were not associated with the actual peaceful protestors and just taking advantage of the chaos to destroy shit. Fucking anarchist assholes making everyone look bad, fuck the Black Bloc!

Anyway man, people getting murdered in a baseball celebration. That's fucked up.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby GiantAsianMan » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 7:14am

Can we make naming Roadie Brock's kid a Geekbox contest? At least, like, a middle name?
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby flufflogic » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 7:19am

Yeah, it's not very common for serious injuries from sports rivalry over here any more either. A bit of argy bargy, yes, but no killing.
flufflogic

Postby jw_6179 » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 7:53am

The only thing the 2010 playoffs really made apparent is how watered down the post-1993 era is. The Rangers and the Giants were not the best teams of their respective leagues -- unfortunately, the WC-era baseball postseason is all about a team getting hot, not a team being the most consistent over a 162-game season.

See also: 2007 Colorado Rockies, 2006 St. Louis Cardinals (83 win WS championship? Hahaha), 2003 Florida Marlins, 1995 Atlanta Braves, etc. Ah well, at least it'll shut up the "AL MASTER RACE" folks for another year.
jw_6179

Postby leebenningfield » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 8:30am

Most of the Rock Band 3 questions were already answered by gavv. I just want to say that I think the game is fantastic. It's a must buy for anyone who's already a fan of the series, and I would probably recommend it to anyone who likes music, even if they haven't played the previous games.
leebenningfield

Postby Nearo » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 8:33am

Congrats Brock! My wife and I are due February 9th! It's a boy but no name has been picked yet. I like Lucas and Brady (pronounced like Tom Brady).
XBLA: Jangoe
Nearo

Postby GiantAsianMan » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 8:45am

Nearo wrote:Congrats Brock! My wife and I are due February 9th! It's a boy but no name has been picked yet. I like Lucas and Brady (pronounced like Tom Brady).

Not being a dick, but how else would one pronounce "Brady"?
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Pepto » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 10:17am

First Stargate and now Walking Dead. What up with Higgins and terrible TV shows?

OK Walking Dead wasn't terrible it was just boring...
Pepto

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 10:39am

GiantAsianMan wrote:Can we make naming Roadie Brock's kid a Geekbox contest? At least, like, a middle name?
Nearo wrote:Congrats Brock! My wife and I are due February 9th! It's a boy but no name has been picked yet. I like Lucas and Brady (pronounced like Tom Brady).

Mr eX is a great name that anyone would be proud to have. Plus as you know kids like to make fun of other kids names, how could they make fun of Mr eX?

Pepto wrote:First Stargate and now Walking Dead. What up with Higgins and terrible TV shows?

You have terrible taste Pepto.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 10:41am

Pepto wrote:First Stargate and now Walking Dead. What up with Higgins and terrible TV shows?

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Pepto » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 11:07am

Master Higgins wrote:

Get this: http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Complete-Dominic-West/dp/B001FA1P1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288894036&sr=8-1 8-)
Pepto

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 11:09am

Pepto wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Get this: http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Complete-Dominic-West/dp/B001FA1P1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288894036&sr=8-1 8-)

The Wire is the most overrated show of all time.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Nearo » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 11:16am

GiantAsianMan wrote:

Not being a dick, but how else would one pronounce "Brady"?

The long:
I played WoW for a few years and you would hear 5 different pronounciations for the same name. I got annoyed by this over time so I made a point that if there was any question about how to pronounce something I would just add a note in. Purely habit now.

The short:
You never know.
XBLA: Jangoe
Nearo

Postby GiantAsianMan » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 11:25am

Pepto wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Dude, I love The Wire (a top 5 all-time show for me), but there is no way you can use it as an example after you've just called another show boring. The Wire is probably the slowest, most deliberately paced show in television history, no hyperbole, and many people find it boring (lots of them are here, in fact). I find nothing boring about either The Wire or The Walking Dead (I don't need action beats to be engaged; story and character work for me just fine), but I get that some people do.
GiantAsianMan

Postby kenzo » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 11:36am

Konanda wrote:Man at least when we have a kind of riot when some huge upset happens in the NHL team of the respective city or across the country when Canada wins the gold in hockey we all just get drunk and crowd the streets.
That's mostly what it was. There wasn't huge riots, or massive amounts of people being arrested, or cars torched and shops looted.

Mr_eX wrote:Mr eX is a great name that anyone would be proud to have. Plus as you know kids like to make fun of other kids names, how could they make fun of Mr eX?
Kenzo is such a better name. For starters, it's like you're already christening your child to be a ninja, and that's pretty badass. Also, if your kid ends up hating his name, you're giving him options: he can chose to go by Ken or Kenny as nicknames.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 11:47am

jw_6179 wrote:The only thing the 2010 playoffs really made apparent is how watered down the post-1993 era is. The Rangers and the Giants were not the best teams of their respective leagues -- unfortunately, the WC-era baseball postseason is all about a team getting hot, not a team being the most consistent over a 162-game season.

See also: 2007 Colorado Rockies, 2006 St. Louis Cardinals (83 win WS championship? Hahaha), 2003 Florida Marlins, 1995 Atlanta Braves, etc. Ah well, at least it'll shut up the "AL MASTER RACE" folks for another year.
1.)Three words: East Coast Bias!

2.) Great pitching always wins.

3.) I can understand you making the argument that the teams that won their leagues didn't have the best players, but Baseball is a team sport. Clearly, those players played better together as a team. Saying the best team didn't win is just stupid.

4.) If you had been following the Giants at all, you'd know that they weren't just "on a hot streak." Hot streaks don't last the entire post season, let alone since the All-Star break.

5.) If you could win a championship for being "the most consistent" over the regular season, why would you want to fucking watch that shit? That sounds like the most boring shit ever. Playoffs are exciting and fun to watch because *anything can happen*. Sometimes great teams like the Philies fold under pressure, sometimes good teams like the Giants play inspired. That's what sports is about. Fuck that most consistent nonsense.
kenzo

Postby Pepto » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 11:57am

GiantAsianMan wrote:The Wire is probably the slowest, most deliberately paced show in television history, no hyperbole, and many people find it boring (lots of them are here, in fact). I find nothing boring about either The Wire or The Walking Dead (I don't need action beats to be engaged; story and character work for me just fine), but I get that some people do.

Higgins shouldn't have any problems with the slow pacing.
Pepto

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 12:37pm

Pepto wrote:
GiantAsianMan wrote:The Wire is probably the slowest, most deliberately paced show in television history, no hyperbole, and many people find it boring (lots of them are here, in fact). I find nothing boring about either The Wire or The Walking Dead (I don't need action beats to be engaged; story and character work for me just fine), but I get that some people do.

Higgins shouldn't have any problems with the slow pacing.

He might have a problem with there being only two likable characters on the show and they're supporting characters that you hardly see.

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Mr eX is a great name that anyone would be proud to have. Plus as you know kids like to make fun of other kids names, how could they make fun of Mr eX?
Kenzo is such a better name. For starters, it's like you're already christening your child to be a ninja, and that's pretty badass. Also, if your kid ends up hating his name, you're giving him options: he can chose to go by Ken or Kenny as nicknames.

You're crazy man, why limit them to just be a ninja? Mr eX could easily be the name of a ninja in addition to many other awesome things, such as hitman, mobster, supper hero or villain, edgy standup comedian, etc. So in conclusion, Mr eX > Kenzo
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 12:54pm

Mr_eX wrote:You're crazy man, why limit them to just be a ninja? Mr eX could easily be the name of a ninja in addition to many other awesome things, such as hitman, mobster, supper hero or villain, edgy standup comedian, etc. So in conclusion, Mr eX > Kenzo
It just doesn't sound that original. :? And in all truthfulness, there's only one route for a little kid named that to take: villainy.

"I should have known way back when, you know why David? Because of the kids! They called me... Mr eX!"
kenzo

Postby Pepto » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 1:13pm

Mr_eX wrote:
Pepto wrote:Higgins shouldn't have any problems with the slow pacing.

He might have a problem with there being only two likable characters on the show and they're supporting characters that you hardly see.

He will just have to watch the show and tell us about it on the podcast.
Pepto

Postby kenzo » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 1:29pm

Pepto wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:
Pepto wrote:Higgins shouldn't have any problems with the slow pacing.
He will just have to watch the show and tell us about it on the podcast.
Seriously, everyone on The Wire is a bunch of dicks. The point of the show is to show a certain subjectivity, that the world isn't as black and white as we want it to be. It makes for good social commentary, and it's an interesting show, but I can understand people not liking it because they don't have anyone or anything to root for.
kenzo

Postby jw_6179 » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 1:31pm

kenzo wrote:words words words

The current MLB playoffs are not a very good representation of baseball. There is far too much time off in October (Shit, the Series was being played in November -- you don't see a problem with that?), and weak teams get through repeatedly. You made absolutely no argument for why, for example, the St. Louis Cardinals of 2006 were honestly the best team? Why the Texas Rangers of 2010 were the only team to make it to the World Series with a losing road record?

As to hot streaks... Cody Ross doesn't put up 1.076 OPS outside of extremely small sample sizes. The way the playoffs have been structure since the post-1993 expansion favor teams that get can get lucky. Somehow though, I doubt you've followed very much baseball until recently, though.

As to the generic claim of "East coast bias"? Psssft. Someone who followed the NL West knows that the Giants didn't win the division, the Padres lost it.
jw_6179

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 1:53pm

I am really glad they didn't talk about WoW too much.

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:You're crazy man, why limit them to just be a ninja? Mr eX could easily be the name of a ninja in addition to many other awesome things, such as hitman, mobster, supper hero or villain, edgy standup comedian, etc. So in conclusion, Mr eX > Kenzo
It just doesn't sound that original. :? And in all truthfulness, there's only one route for a little kid named that to take: villainy.

"I should have known way back when, you know why David? Because of the kids! They called me... Mr eX!"

They're way more likely to be an edgy standup comedian. I only worry that a kid might eventually become a Doctor, then they'd be Dr Mr eX.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 2:23pm

I had a big response typed up, but I think this will suffice:

jw_6179 wrote:As to the generic claim of "East coast bias"? Psssft. Someone who followed the NL West knows that the Giants didn't win the division, the Padres lost it.
So, I guess the Giants didn't beat the Padres in the last game of the regular season to clench the playoffs. You're an idiot.

In sports, a win is a win. And all your excuses trying to cheapen the Giants win is what poor losers say when they can't face the reality that their teams fucking suck. Straight up, the Giants out played their opponents and worked together as a team better than their competition did all throughout the post-season. When the Giants record 29 runs, and the Rangers only record 29 hits in the World Series, that's not a fluke. That's getting out pitched and out played. You need to STFU and eat your bowl of crow. GO GIANTS!!! 2010 WORLD CHAMPS!!!! WOOOO!!!!!!
kenzo

Next
Forum Statistics