Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 91

Postby Rydog » Nov 10th, 2010 @ 11:54pm

Supergiant Games' Greg Kasavin joins us this week to talk Bastion (which was looking pretty good when I saw/played it at this year's Penny Arcade Expo). Enjoy the episode!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 91

Postby Konanda » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 12:34am

Cool. I remember seeing the Supergiant Games team on the Whiskey Media Happy Hour two weeks ago.

Also Bastion looks pretty cool.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 12:42am

Bastion looks like it wants to be a game that's half-Diablo, half-Mana... and is made by the guys who did Odin Sphere... and that's not a bad thing!
kenzo

Postby Raine » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 7:15am

The talk about Other M reminded me just how shitty people are at doing female characters. People always think that femininity = weak or femininity = sexuality, and they're idiots. Ripley is often brought up as a good example and it absolutely is. In Aliens the character is neither weak nor sexualized, but the motherly drive to save Newt is an expression of femininity. Kill Bill is another great example. The main character is a badass and never over sexualized, but there are moments where the characters femininity shines through.
Raine

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 12:00pm

Season 2 is the worst season of Lost.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby achickenchaser » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 1:24pm

So I'm guessing the Xbox 360 clock trick doesn't work in Fable 3? Sounds like someone is asking for a red ring leaving the console on like that.

Having just finished Angel, Whedon shows are so predictable when it comes to who's gonna die next or be in for some misery :lol: It's kinda like the old sex = death horror movie formula.
achickenchaser

Postby darfox8 » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 2:05pm

Fuck man... you guys should of actually bleeped out Justin's spoiler for The Walking Dead. I knew of one of those things but not the other...

Anyway, not quite done with the podcast yet but it's awesome so far.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 2:08pm

darfox8 wrote:Fuck man... you guys should of actually bleeped out Justin's spoiler for The Walking Dead. I knew of one of those things but not the other...
Why am I not surprised that Mr. Haywald is ruining things on the podcast once again. :lol:
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 2:16pm

Well he did ask them to bleep it
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 2:20pm

Oh snappy! Kasavin and Bastion talk! Time to catch up on GB!
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 2:22pm

No WoW talk, it was awesome.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 2:29pm

Bastion is fucking awesome. I played it at PAX and got to chat with Kasavin and the art director and can't wait for it to come out.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jikado » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 2:36pm

We can't have a spoiled conversation about Read Dead Redemption just because the woman on the podcast can't figure out to play on her own profile? So frustrating listening to people continuously stop what they're saying, dragging the flow of conversation, just because one of the few people to not finish the game happens to be sitting in the room.
jikado

Postby kenzo » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 2:44pm

jikado wrote:We can't have a spoiled conversation about Read Dead Redemption just because the woman on the podcast can't figure out to play on her own profile? So frustrating listening to people continuously stop what they're saying, dragging the flow of conversation, just because one of the few people to not finish the game happens to be sitting in the room.
At least they're they're talking about it at all, unlike Doctor Who. :lol:
kenzo

Postby compellinggameplay » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 6:49pm

kenzo wrote:
darfox8 wrote:Fuck man... you guys should of actually bleeped out Justin's spoiler for The Walking Dead. I knew of one of those things but not the other...
Why am I not surprised that Mr. Haywald is ruining things on the podcast once again. :lol:

Aww, he actually left it in? As soon as I said it, I realized I was being dumb.

I read all the early books as they came out (though I've slacked on the recent ones), so it just feels like all those plot elements happened forever ago. But I really do want people who are just getting into the series because of the new show to be surprised at all the interesting twists!

If you want zero Walking Dead spoilers, you should skip ahead 10 or 15 minutes after we start talking about the show.
compellinggameplay
Super Intern

Postby G-Nitro » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 7:20pm

Good thing I don't watch it. lol Then again I've heard spoilers for Burn Notice episodes on the show and it never bothered me. I can still enjoy something, even if it has been "spoiled".
G-Nitro

Postby kenzo » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 7:51pm

G-Nitro wrote:Good thing I don't watch it. lol Then again I've heard spoilers for Burn Notice episodes on the show and it never bothered me. I can still enjoy something, even if it has been "spoiled".
Insofar as I can infer, Mr. Haywald didn't spoil something that's happened already in an episode - he let info leak on something that happens in the future of the show, based on knowledge from the comics. Spoiling Burn Notice for someone who isn't caught up, and spoiling The Walking Dead for anyone who watches the show but hasn't read the comics are a little different.
kenzo

Postby sky » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 11:05pm

Awesome episode. Please bring Greg back again sometime.
sky

Postby kenzo » Nov 11th, 2010 @ 11:16pm

sky wrote:Awesome episode. Please bring Greg back again sometime.
I read this and got excited for a second before rationality kicked in - "Oh dang! Greg Ford came back for an episode???? I gotta listen NOWISH!"
kenzo

Postby aliceingameland » Nov 12th, 2010 @ 1:57am

jikado wrote:We can't have a spoiled conversation about Read Dead Redemption just because the woman on the podcast can't figure out to play on her own profile? So frustrating listening to people continuously stop what they're saying, dragging the flow of conversation, just because one of the few people to not finish the game happens to be sitting in the room.

Hi :) My name is Alice.
I am perfectly aware of how to play on my own profile. If you listen more closely, you'll realize it was my boyfriend playing on MY profile (against my suggestion because he's too lazy to log out and log into his own gamertag) who accidentally saved over my own save. :( I was very grumpy when that happened. In any case, apologies if you were bored. I'm still excited to experience the ending on my own though yay! :D
aliceingameland
Magic Garbage Fairy

Postby IcarusII » Nov 12th, 2010 @ 3:13am

I just want to support Greg's opinion that Amnesia is one of the most frightening games ever. So scary that sometimes it is quite unpleasant...but in a good way, so to speak.

Oh, I need to express my nerd rage over the massive Walking Dead spoiler at about 39 minutes into the podcast. Thanks to Justin for ruining that for me and thanks to Rydog for not taking the time to edit it out even though Justin made an effort to request it.

I do understand that the tv show could end up diverging wildly from the comic, but as someone who just bought a couple compendiums of the graphic novel after being impressed by the first two episodes of the show, Im really peeved at how casually Justin spat that out. Thanks. I really want to insult you in some anonymous-Internet-ragenaut manner, but that's not gonna help now so...ugh.
IcarusII

Postby IcarusII » Nov 12th, 2010 @ 3:38am

Sorry, double posted. I didn't want to end on a sour note.

I don't know if it was the presence of Greg K on this episode that did it (probably was), but the discussions this week were surprisingly intelligent as well as highly insightful and well articulated.. Moreso than usual, I'd say. The flow was just perfect.
IcarusII

Postby G-Nitro » Nov 12th, 2010 @ 5:35am

aliceingameland wrote:If you listen more closely, you'll realize it was my boyfriend playing on MY profile (against my suggestion because he's too lazy to log out and log into his own gamertag) who accidentally saved over my own save. :( I was very grumpy when that happened.

That's grounds for a break up to many gamers. lol
G-Nitro

Postby Raine » Nov 12th, 2010 @ 6:04am

Raine

Postby LiQuid » Nov 12th, 2010 @ 6:06am

As someone with zero exposure to anything Walking Dead related, I can't fucking WAIT to hear what this god damned spoiler is.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Nov 12th, 2010 @ 6:36am

LiQuid wrote:As someone with zero exposure to anything Walking Dead related, I can't fucking WAIT to hear what this god damned spoiler is.

As someone who's read the comic, I can't fucking wait to hear what the spoiler is as well (given that there is much to spoil with The Walking Dead).
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Konanda » Nov 12th, 2010 @ 8:52am

G-Nitro wrote:
aliceingameland wrote:If you listen more closely, you'll realize it was my boyfriend playing on MY profile (against my suggestion because he's too lazy to log out and log into his own gamertag) who accidentally saved over my own save. :( I was very grumpy when that happened.

You are being facetious, yes? Otherwise that's an incredibly immature reason to do so.
Konanda

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 12th, 2010 @ 9:11am

Konanda wrote:
G-Nitro wrote:

You are being facetious, yes? Otherwise that's an incredibly immature reason to do so.

Subtlety is lost upon this man... :roll:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Nov 12th, 2010 @ 10:08am

That wasn't even fucking subtle! When you put "lol" after a sentence, I'm pretty sure that's a good implication that a comment shouldn't be taken seriously. Seriously Konanda is something not right in your brain?

Also the Walking Dead spoiler was just about someone dying? That's it? I thought it was going to be some earth shattering twist.
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » Nov 12th, 2010 @ 11:03am

jinpei05 wrote:
Konanda wrote:
G-Nitro wrote:

Subtlety is lost upon this man... :roll:

LiQuid wrote:That wasn't even fucking subtle! When you put "lol" after a sentence, I'm pretty sure that's a good implication that a comment shouldn't be taken seriously. Seriously Konanda is something not right in your brain?

Also the Walking Dead spoiler was just about someone dying? That's it? I thought it was going to be some earth shattering twist.

Naw just was feeling a little down today and looking for some responses. :D
Konanda

Next
Forum Statistics