Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 96

Postby Rydog » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 12:04am

Enjoy the behind-the-scenes episode for this week's episode, where we spontaneously plan an end-of-year awards episode!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 96

Postby LiQuid » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 1:22am

Oh man, was this Carlos dude that annoying guy from a couple weeks ago? I knew there was something familiar about that Planetary video. Oh well, hopefully he doesn't talk as much this time. I'll give this a spin at work tomorrow.
LiQuid

Postby PillowPants » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 1:46am

For your consideration,

NBA ELITE 2011
EA changes the game with NBA Elite, a reinvented brand of basketball that aims to revolutionize how gamers take to the court. The game introduces several significant gameplay changes that center around user control. 'Hands-On Control' scheme allows for one-to-one responsiveness of a player's movement and actions on the court, as opposed to traditional predetermined animations that require users to wait while a scenario played out before making the next move. Hands-on Control applies to everything within a player's offensive and defensive arsenal, including: dribble moves, dunks, drives to the basket, fadeaways, mid-air adjustments, blocks, steals and more.
The real-time physics system in NBA Elite 11 allows each player on the court to move independently of one another, removing the two-man interactions that have long taken the user control out of basketball simulation videogames. In addition, a skill-based shooting system requires accurate user input, based on a player's position on the court, versus the randomly generated dice rolls that have driven shooting in basketball videogames in the past.
PillowPants

Postby GhaleonQ » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 3:00am

If you're looking for the correct Tom Hardy reference point for Strange, you're looking for his pretty-boy-to-brute transformation in the pretty famous director Nicolas Winding Refn's "Bronson." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMJ1c3qxOWc

Also, I appreciate Karen defending foreign and animated films, but she put her foot in her mouth when she said "there wasn't even a category" for them before Beauty And The Beast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Aw ... Short_Film That category's where the real art's made (Adam Elliot's Harvie Krumpet versus fricking Finding Nemo? Come on.), but she didn't even know about it and completely undermined her point.
GhaleonQ

Postby BobbyIncognito » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 3:45am

Is it just me or does Alice keep talking over EVERYONE? Just an observation...not hating =)

Also, great episode.
BobbyIncognito

Postby kenzo » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 4:11am

Looking forwards to listening to this episode tomorrow!

GhaleonQ wrote:Also, I appreciate Karen defending foreign and animated films, but she put her foot in her mouth when she said "there wasn't even a category" for them before Beauty And The Beast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Aw ... Short_Film That category's where the real art's made (Adam Elliot's Harvie Krumpet versus fricking Finding Nemo? Come on.), but she didn't even know about it and completely undermined her point.
What's the point of taking her to task when you fundamentally agree with what she's saying? Animated and foreign films are ghettoized, and saying that there was an Academy Award for short animated films misses the point. So, a film like the The Triplets of Belleville would have fit comfortably into this category for 'Animated Short Film'?

BobbyIncognito wrote:Is it just me or does Alice keep talking over EVERYONE? Just an observation...not hating =)
Yeah, that was something that got under my skin initially, but I got used to it. And really, it's kind of refreshing from a certain perspective. All too often, women on these kinds of podcasts kind of drift to the background and let the men control the topic and flow of conversation.
kenzo

Postby Dead_Reckoning » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 4:12am

Why oh why, didn't anyone suggest "The Geekies" for the awards?

*returns to lurking*
Dead_Reckoning

Postby openmike48 » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 8:31am

Karen Chu is SO fine! I like the show too... but I always miss Karen when shes gone! She brings a nice subtle masculinity to the show that is sadly lacking when she's absent.. Did I just say I like dudes? Gulp.. Wasn't trying to! I like women. Mostly, I like Karen... She's soooo dreamy! Lol!

P.S. Cata dropped... Bring back the WOW show already Rydog... Please. It was called "Legendary Thread, Ryan. Remember it? It's either you guys or that British dude that screams all the time and I'm getting SO sick of that guy.
Last edited by openmike48 on Dec 16th, 2010 @ 10:52am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Mike Night
openmike48@gmail.com
openmike48

Postby G-Nitro » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 8:48am

Glad to hear the Karen and Alice back. Glad Alice decided she valued her life too much to bring her new music toy with her. Geekbox listeners would have been out for blood had she played that. :lol:

I have to agree that I like the Geekies suggestion a couple posts up, as the Geekboxies just doesn't have a good ring to it.

I know Aion was mentioned, but I can't stress enough to stay away from that game. $15 a month is way too much for a constant grindfest. 1st 10 levels were so much fun, and levels 11-20 were alright. Unfortunately after that the game goes downhill, and the changes they made weren't enough. Pay to play MMos really need to learn from WoW's example if they are going to compete with a similar style of gameplay. It's combined all of its servers down to like five total now. Maybe WoW has gone too friendly with its design and setup, but trying to play Aion after how streamlined WoW is, it is too much work.

Speaking of WoW, everytime I hear abotu Cataclysm I want to jump back in, but like Ryan I hit level 76 and lost all motivation to grind it out to 80. Maybe one day I'll hop back on and try to continue, but who knows.

As always, great show!
G-Nitro

Postby Karen » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 10:27am

GhaleonQ wrote:Also, I appreciate Karen defending foreign and animated films, but she put her foot in her mouth when she said "there wasn't even a category" for them before Beauty And The Beast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Aw ... Short_Film That category's where the real art's made (Adam Elliot's Harvie Krumpet versus fricking Finding Nemo? Come on.), but she didn't even know about it and completely undermined her point.

Um, Animated Feature Film was introduced as a category in 2001. Short Animated has been in existence since the 1940's I think. But the masses during this whole time did not take notice of the importance of animated features and actual films until Beauty and the Beast became the first animated film to be nominated for Best Picture. The only one short that came close to mass media knowledge was probably Wallace and Gromit. And even that took a while to become public knowledge.
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI

http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby Konanda » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 10:49am

LiQuid wrote:Oh man, was this Carlos dude that annoying guy from a couple weeks ago? I knew there was something familiar about that Planetary video. Oh well, hopefully he doesn't talk as much this time. I'll give this a spin at work tomorrow.

The annoying dude that multiple people did not like and would only talk when he had some dumb quip or sarcastic remark was Carlos' friend that was visiting or w/e. Show notes say that dude's name was Gabriel.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby openmike48 » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 10:58am

G-Nitro wrote:
Speaking of WoW, everytime I hear abotu Cataclysm I want to jump back in, but like Ryan I hit level 76 and lost all motivation to grind it out to 80. Maybe one day I'll hop back on and try to continue, but who knows.

As always, great show!

I PROMISE you it is NOT a grind anymore. Also, the questing is very involved and drives the story even more in Cata then ever before. It's a great time to jump back in.. Everything is so different
Open Mike Night
openmike48@gmail.com
openmike48

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 12:18pm

Jamie Chung mansae!!!

jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 12:30pm

jinpei05 wrote:Jamie Chung mansae!!!

Nice tits for a dude.
LiQuid

Postby Lord-Audie » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 12:35pm

Just started listening to the Podcast.

And kind of raging already. What is it with both Ryans opposing the wrong way to the stuff that they don't like? If they don't like 3D movies then don't watch them. No one is forcing them to watch them. People out there enjoy 3D movies. Ranting about that "Our brain doesn't need this" is just plain stupid. Who are you to decide what everyone likes? Is like me saying that we don't need 2d games anymore, they shouldn't make another 8bit megaman. Our brain doesn't need another 8-bit megaman. Everyone has the right to not like something, but to go ranting about it shouldn't exist because I don't like it is just stupid. Is not like they are going to stop making movies the way they made them before. Geez.

/rant
Please join the #geekbox IRC channel at irc.rizon.net

for a quick browser way use http://webchat.rizon.net/

Just put a nick and #geekbox and GO! join the pHuN
Lord-Audie

Postby Natto » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 12:57pm

Fun fact (that no one probably cares about): I went to high school with Jamie Chung and sat behind her in a Film as Literature class.
I like to draw stuff.
Natto

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 12:59pm

Natto wrote:Fun fact (that no one probably cares about): I went to high school with Jamie Chung and sat behind her in a Film as Literature class.

o_O

Was she hawt back then?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 1:06pm

Can't believe Karen is the only one on the podcast excited for Fast Five.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Natto » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 1:19pm

jinpei05 wrote:o_O

Was she hawt back then?

She was alright, I guess. Not really someone who stood out, so her current pseudo-stardom is somewhat unexpected to me. She definitely gets dolled up in everything she appears.

Mr_eX wrote:Can't believe Karen is the only one on the podcast excited for Fast Five.

The F&F franchise is one of my guilty pleasure series. The movies are absolutely dumb, but I enjoy every minute of them. Adding the Rock only makes it that much more awesome.
I like to draw stuff.
Natto

Postby G-Nitro » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 1:24pm

jinpei05 wrote:Jamie Chung mansae!!!

<3 Sucks she never got a good amount of screen time on Real World: San Diego.
G-Nitro

Postby Mr_eX » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 2:30pm

Natto wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Can't believe Karen is the only one on the podcast excited for Fast Five.

The F&F franchise is one of my guilty pleasure series. The movies are absolutely dumb, but I enjoy every minute of them. Adding the Rock only makes it that much more awesome.

The Rock will make Fast Five the best movie ever.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby lemon-fresh » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 2:40pm

Lord-Audie wrote:Just started listening to the Podcast.

And kind of raging already. What is it with both Ryans opposing the wrong way to the stuff that they don't like? If they don't like 3D movies then don't watch them. No one is forcing them to watch them. People out there enjoy 3D movies. Ranting about that "Our brain doesn't need this" is just plain stupid. Who are you to decide what everyone likes? Is like me saying that we don't need 2d games anymore, they shouldn't make another 8bit megaman. Our brain doesn't need another 8-bit megaman. Everyone has the right to not like something, but to go ranting about it shouldn't exist because I don't like it is just stupid. Is not like they are going to stop making movies the way they made them before. Geez.

/rant

At least 2D games are a proven quantity whereas "3D" has failed once already.
lemon-fresh

Postby kenzo » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 2:45pm

Really? Because I can totally believe it. It makes perfect sense, actually. There's not enough cute things in it for Alice, it's too "bro-dude" for Master Higgins, and there's not enough white women in it for Ryan Scott.

Although seriously, someone needs to inform Ryan Scott that the film is basically The A-Team but way better.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 4:41pm

You know, I'll be the one to say it. I'm even more surprised that there are so many people here at the forum who are big fans of that franchise. Surprises and excites me!
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 5:26pm

Lord-Audie wrote:What is it with both Ryans opposing the wrong way to the stuff that they don't like? If they don't like 3D movies then don't watch them. No one is forcing them to watch them. People out there enjoy 3D movies. Ranting about that "Our brain doesn't need this" is just plain stupid. Who are you to decide what everyone likes? Is like me saying that we don't need 2d games anymore, they shouldn't make another 8bit megaman. Our brain doesn't need another 8-bit megaman. Everyone has the right to not like something, but to go ranting about it shouldn't exist because I don't like it is just stupid. Is not like they are going to stop making movies the way they made them before. Geez.
Dude, some people just don't like things because of their aesthetics. I wouldn't fault someone for disliking a 3D movie any more than someone disliking anime, or black and white films. If they don't appreciate a good film for what it is and get caught up on some of the more superficial parts of it, that's their loss - there's no reason to get upset.
kenzo

Postby Raine » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 8:10pm

Ya'll should do forum poster of the year, because A) It might drive some people to the forums, B) It'll make us feel special, and C) If Konanda wins I wanna see how long his acceptance post would be.
Raine

Postby Lord-Audie » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 9:58pm

kenzo wrote:
Lord-Audie wrote:What is it with both Ryans opposing the wrong way to the stuff that they don't like? If they don't like 3D movies then don't watch them. No one is forcing them to watch them. People out there enjoy 3D movies. Ranting about that "Our brain doesn't need this" is just plain stupid. Who are you to decide what everyone likes? Is like me saying that we don't need 2d games anymore, they shouldn't make another 8bit megaman. Our brain doesn't need another 8-bit megaman. Everyone has the right to not like something, but to go ranting about it shouldn't exist because I don't like it is just stupid. Is not like they are going to stop making movies the way they made them before. Geez.
Dude, some people just don't like things because of their aesthetics. I wouldn't fault someone for disliking a 3D movie any more than someone disliking anime, or black and white films. If they don't appreciate a good film for what it is and get caught up on some of the more superficial parts of it, that's their loss - there's no reason to get upset.

I don't fault them for not liking them, I fault them because they state that they shouldn't exist. I dislike many things but I dont go saying that no one else shouldn't enjoy them.

For some reason that kind of statements grinds my gears.
Please join the #geekbox IRC channel at irc.rizon.net

for a quick browser way use http://webchat.rizon.net/

Just put a nick and #geekbox and GO! join the pHuN
Lord-Audie

Postby kenzo » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 11:55pm

Raine wrote:Ya'll should do forum poster of the year, because A) It might drive some people to the forums, B) It'll make us feel special, and C) If Konanda wins I wanna see how long his acceptance post would be.
If Mr_eX doesn't win such an award, these Geekboxies are a giant fraud.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Dec 17th, 2010 @ 12:58am

Raine wrote:Ya'll should do forum poster of the year, because A) It might drive some people to the forums, B) It'll make us feel special, and C) If Konanda wins I wanna see how long his acceptance post would be.

Nice joke but I'm not the type to just go on about how great I am mainly because I have the attitude that I should be doing better. It's kind of like self-loathing except I love life and wouldn't ever change a thing about everything that has led up to who I am at this instant. It's paradoxial, I know but that's how it is. (same for many other facets of who I am) Also as I said I think award shows are dumb.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby uppi17 » Dec 17th, 2010 @ 2:05am

Things I liked in this episode:
* Alice muttering "Shut the fuck up" at 24:55 and no-one appearing to notice
* Higgins turning into a seal (I'll find the time when this happened later today)
* Higgins being right about the 3D films at Disney being rides. They're 10 minute films so the 3D doesn't get as annoying as with the full length 3D films. Plus there aren't as many fast cuts which detract from the 3D effect

Things I didn't like:
* The video guy saying "Cumberdick" out of the blue apparently because he didn't have much to say about the current topic & wanted to talk about Sherlock instead
* The video guy then saying "That was a callback" - don't highlight the joke man!
uppi17

Next
Forum Statistics