Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 103

Postby Rydog » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 12:49am

In this week's episode, we discuss -- among other things -- the fact that I have started playing Demon's Souls. Enjoy the episode, feel free to discuss what the hell is wrong with me, and please share any pointers you may have!

EDIT: There's some random LibSyn-related issue with the file that I can't figure out. I'll keep you updated, but the podcast might have to go up tomorrow if I can't resolve this myself.

EDIT #2: Works now. Randomly. Good job, LibSyn, for cheerily breaking a post for no apparent reason and then magically resolving it. Technology sucks.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 103

Postby flufflogic » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 2:43am

Not on iTunes yet...
flufflogic

Postby cool_wizard » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 3:15am

okay so here are my tips for demon's souls

1.Help people out in ghost mode. That way, getting through the levels is quicker, and its great practice because you don't loose anything when you die..
2. So once you actually beat the boss in helper ghost mode, you get your body back!
3. Get helper ghosts to do what you did. You might end up dying and turning back into ghost mode again, but just take it slow and dont go nuts or anything!

OH and the trick of getting up to him without killing you.. ..surprise! roll between his legs..
also, since the boss usually one hit or 2 hit kills you even with low-level heavy armor, you might as well wear lighter armor for more speed/dodge mobility. It's a lot nicer to be fast because you're still going to get killed, but you can try dodging like a cat instead of standing still and eating it with your heavy armor
cool_wizard

Postby dakazu » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 3:55am

Hi Ryan! Glad you're trying out Demon's Souls. Don't listen to master Higgins or especially Justin. It's a great game that just happens to get a F- for explaining its mechanics. Here are some general tips that really helped me when I started playing the game.

#1- RANGE ATTACKS= GOD. Projectile attacks will help make any enemy in DS much easier and the longbow has the best range for sniping. Use it and 200 arrows to take out Mr. Tower Knight. Simply kill all the archers and hide along the parapets. Mr TK will throw energy lances at you but they can't got through the wall. Peek out of an opening and fire and arrow with autolock or 1st person view. You'll slowly chip away his health and he'll eventually fall before your rain of arrows. Magic will also work if you have enough spice to refill your magic. You can even kill the dragon on the bridge in a similar fashion from atop the 1st bridge watchtower!(though this will take 30 mins)

#2- TAKE THINGS SLOWLY. Take your time in new areas. Peek around corners with your shield up and be prepared to retreat at all times. Rushing in will only get you mobbed and slaughtered when you could have taken enemies on 1 at a time(preferably with arrows!) Enemies are always located in the same spots on the map so you can memorize their positions. Consider buying the Evacuate miracle for a quick escape and easy soul farming.

#3- HIT AND RUN. Enemies don't get stunned from hits so use 1-2 strikes then back away before they retaliate. This will conserve your stamina for retreating/rolling in a pinch. If you do get hurt, retreat sooner then later. Equipping the thief ring from level 1-1 will stop enemies from pursuing you when you run away to heal.

#4- LIGHT ARMOR, HEAVY SHIELD. Combat can become really easy if you can fast roll. If your current item weight is more then 1/2 your MAX item weight you cannot roll quickly. Remove heavy armor to allow for better mobility. You'll be able to dodge an attack and rush back in Ninja Gaiden style. For better blocking, try a heavy bash shield. They require lots of strength and are heavy but they making blocking very easy. Even those blue eye knights will be stunned from attacking them.

#5- SOUL FORM > REVIVED FORM. I know you said killing yourself in the nexus is pathetic but playing in soul form makes the game easier. Death will have no world tendency penalties and you can't be invaded by other players. This is especially useful if you want to grind some souls for exp. Using the cling ring will also decrease you health penalty from %50 to %25.

#6- UPGRADE/SPECIALIZE WEAPONS. Besides your stats, stronger weapons are the key to beating enemies in Demon's Souls. Unlock the good blacksmith in world 2-1 by activating the elevator located by the beggar merchant at the beginning of the level. Ride the elevator to the bottom to find him. Try to upgrade and carry multiple weapon types for different enemies. Some examples are:
2-1 miners are weak against poles
3-1 squid heads are weak against magic
4-1 skeletons are weak against blunt/fire
5-1 ratmen are weak against fire

Hope these tips help. Feel free to PM about any specific questions and I'll try to help you!
Last edited by dakazu on Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 6:43pm, edited 3 times in total.
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 4:26am

I've only listened to the very beginning; I'll listen to the rest tomorrow. But I do have to say that I've come to peace with Justin Haywald being on the show. The "not geeky enough" criticism doesn't really apply to him either. And I appreciate that he brings different perspectives and gaming tastes to the table than the other guys. It's just taken some getting used to. And in a lot of ways, he fills the Fitch-niche very well. Now we just need to get some awkward Justin-dating stories and we'll be golden.

So I apologize for my part of your grilling, Mr. Haywald.
kenzo

Postby CantStrafeRight » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 4:47am

I've always been curious what Americans would think of Irn Bru so it was interesting to hear what the Geekbox crew thought of it.
CantStrafeRight

Postby TtotheING » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 9:15am

Props to Alice for mentioning Tasselhoff. That takes me back to 8th grade. And, her laughing fit was so cute.
"Can see things no one else can see. Do things no one else can do. "
TtotheING

Postby flufflogic » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 10:23am

Listening to you guys discuss Irn Bru was great. It's very much not an athletics drink, though; that's the Barrs mascot. It also makes Goths happy:

And yes, that is an Irn Bru rollercoaster at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Aaaaaaaanyway. Dickwolves. Although the strip does not affect me, Gabe's responses haven't exactly been sympathetic, and he should apologise already and tell the community to stop being dicks. End of.
flufflogic

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 10:31am

The Demon's Souls talk was way more interesting than any WoW discussion has ever been.

Bane is awesome.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bobloblaw » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 11:14am

I'm curious to see how long Ryan sticks with Demon Souls.
Bobloblaw

Postby LiQuid » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 11:28am

Ryan couldn't beat his brother to the top of the church in Assassin's Creed 2 but he's playing Demon's Souls!? :lol:
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 11:30am

Yeah, Ryan couldn't get past the tutorial of an easy game like Assassin's Creed 2 but he's trying to stick with Demon's Souls :lol:
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jeku » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 11:43am

To be fair I was stuck on that same part in Assassin's Creed 2 for about 10 tries. I didn't play the first one at all so I didn't understand the controls.
Jeku
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bboy_Izilla » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 11:44am

-- Agreeing with Robert Ashley [yes, from another podcast that was recently heard by podcast listeners]. Listening and seeing people fill up my twitter feed with attempts to oddly relate to a people that has had it worse than they have reaks of a new kind of douchey entitlement.

-- I fux with Demon Souls, never beat it, good luck Rydog.

-- I fux with Vernors, nobody in the hood drinks Mountain Dew.

-- I fux with movies. They're kinda my thing. I'm always interested in the reasons why people don't dig horror. Its usually the same reasons why most people [I know] don't dig rom-coms or formulaic Oscar-worthy flicks. Haywald is okay in my book ... even if he is a little softbatch.
Bboy_Izilla

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 11:51am

dakazu wrote:Hi Ryan! Glad you're trying out Demon's Souls. Don't listen to master Higgins or especially Justin.

Hey, I think the game is amazing, but the difficulty level is just brutal. I'm very happy I played it, I hope it won awards, I just can't play it again. :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 11:54am

Jeku wrote:To be fair I was stuck on that same part in Assassin's Creed 2 for about 10 tries. I didn't play the first one at all so I didn't understand the controls.

Not an excuse. I also had not played the first one but you just have to hold two buttons and push the left stick up.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 12:15pm

Aren't they making a sequel to Demon Souls?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby MrDrifter » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 12:31pm

jinpei05 wrote:Aren't they making a sequel to Demon Souls?

Ask and you shall receive...

Prepare for trouble...
MrDrifter

Postby dakazu » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 1:31pm

Master Higgins wrote:
dakazu wrote:Hi Ryan! Glad you're trying out Demon's Souls. Don't listen to master Higgins or especially Justin.

Hey, I think the game is amazing, but the difficulty level is just brutal. I'm very happy I played it, I hope it won awards, I just can't play it again. :lol:

I remember the episodes where you were talking about playing Demon's Souls and I recall that you enjoyed it. Though I'm calling out Justin for being so dismissive of the game.
dakazu

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 1:56pm

Justin wasn't being dismissive of it. He clearly hates the game with a fiery passion.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 2:50pm

LiQuid wrote:Ryan couldn't beat his brother to the top of the church in Assassin's Creed 2 but he's playing Demon's Souls!? :lol:
It's clearly an attempt to bolster his geek cred. :lol:

Mr_eX wrote:Justin wasn't being dismissive of it. He clearly hates the game with a fiery passion.
I don't have a problem with people hating Demon's Souls, as long as it comes from a rational place. I'm a lot like Master Higgins. I respect the game, I actually like it on a certain level and the gameplay/world/everything about it is extremely compelling. But it's just too hard for me and I don't have the patience to develop my skills through brute strength. I also think it's a design oversight to make the state of death the preferable existence, when the mechanics of the game seem to be oriented around trying to regain your life. What's the point?
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 2:50pm

Also, I don't know what's sadder - the untimely/unfortunate Egypt jokes, or the complete apathy towards the subject from everyone around here. :lol:
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 2:54pm

kenzo wrote:Also, I don't know what's sadder - the untimely/unfortunate Egypt jokes, or the complete apathy towards the subject from everyone around here. :lol:

Yeah, it's a really fucked up situation, yet we can completely remove ourselves from it because it's on the other side of the globe.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 3:11pm

Does the Superman curse apply to actors who VOICE Superman or had successful careers before portraying him? Because then it doesn't hold up, as George Newburn, Tim Daly, Adam Baldwin, Marc Harmon, Kyle MacLachlan, and James Denton will attest.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Gundam_Halo » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 3:40pm

I'm still listening to the podcast right now, but since they've completed the discussion about the Penny Arcade controversy, I thought I'd respond.

I wouldn't say I'm upset; it's more of a feeling of disappointment of the gang's response to it, especially Higgin's response. He spoke of disagreeing with PA's self-censorship; PA does that with purpose already -- PAX doesn't have the array of booth babes that other expos have had because of the image they want to convey with their expo, so if they feel it's necessary to remove merchandise for the purpose of keeping their event open to all types of gamers, why disagree with that? Removing said merchandise has absolutely no effect on anyone, it serves only to help.

It's somewhat disappointing to hear how quickly the gang brushed over and dismissed the events of the controversy. On the flip side of that, I'd rather not have a podcast I listen to for entertainment broach such a complicated subject, so I understand.
Gundam_Halo

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 3:49pm

jinpei05 wrote:
kenzo wrote:Also, I don't know what's sadder - the untimely/unfortunate Egypt jokes, or the complete apathy towards the subject from everyone around here. :lol:
Yeah, it's a really fucked up situation, yet we can completely remove ourselves from it because it's on the other side of the globe.
Last night I was just shaking my head listening to the podcast. I know that they immediately retracted what they said, and that they recorded this before yesterday's sudden and startling outbreak of violence, but it was just unfortunate and short-sided remarks. This is why it's generally a good idea to not comment on these kinds of things at all unless you're can do the subject matter some real justice by talking about such events in an informed and professional manner. For anyone who doesn't understand the context of what we're talking about, this short video clip by the AP should give you a small idea as to how serious things are in Egypt (and other Middle East states):

Also, this isn't meant to chastise podcasters in any way - I know they're good meaning and relatively sensitive people. They're just completely detached from the whole situation, probably don't keep up with the news that much, and lacked the foresight to see how serious this whole situation got literally over night.
kenzo

Postby Gundam_Halo » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 3:49pm

Also, the scene Rydog was talking (eye gouging) was from Zombie, which was directed by Lucio Fulci. Great scene!
Gundam_Halo

Postby Konanda » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 6:37pm

Justin's an alright dude and at least he isn't just shilling for 1up the entire time he is there. I remember finding that a little annoying back when he was first on, well that and him and Jade making up bullshit about Silent Hill: Shattered Memories but that was more just a case of someone just making a mistake and thinking they are correct, which is just the Internet and oh so often podcasts in general.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 6:54pm

I just wanted to say that, even though I don't necessarily agree with a lot of the shit said about Demon Souls, I enjoyed that talk a bit. It was not boring to hear the guys talk about a real video game, especially a game that isn't WoW.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Feb 3rd, 2011 @ 7:31pm

I'm listening now and it's a fine episode so far but they still bring up the spoiler talk in such a douche bag way. IT'S NOT UNREASONABLE OF ME TO ASK FOR SPOILER WARNINGS YOU POOP FACES! I know I'm just added fuel to the fire and I know I should just get over it... it's just... when Ryan goes, "Oh wait, errrrr huuurrmm, Spoilerzzzzzzz LOLS" and Alice just goes "Ugh". It kinda bothers me.

Maybe Ryan is actually trying to please people like me but because he's actually a geek and a nerd he's really awkward about it. Like, how he can't just confess his feelings to a girl he likes, so he has to pull her pigtails and steal her scissors and shit like that. Maybe he actually wants to warn us of spoilers but it just comes off like poop.

I don't hate Justine Haywald(even though he's is responsible for^^^^) and I don't mind him being on the podcast. I just have disagreed with him a lot before. Kinda like now with the violence thing... I doubt he meant it like this, but it almost sounded sort of pretentious in that he was putting himself above people who like or have enjoyed violent stuff. Maybe I just have a funky ear and everything the podcasters say sounds like acid in my ears. Carry on Carry on.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Next
Forum Statistics