Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 107

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 5:44pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Opportuna » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 5:58pm

I really liked this episode. I find stories about the early days of fan translation to be really interesting. I think Adam did a great job and shouldn't apologize so much before telling stories.
Opportuna

Postby lordofultima » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 6:27pm

I signed up just to say this was the best geekbox episode I've heard since the fitch hitch ones. I loved it, all the stories about fan translations and the history behind "MO" were great to hear. F the haters.
lordofultima

Postby Konanda » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 6:38pm

I actually really dug this episode hearing Adam talk about his involvement in the ROM hack scene, time in Japan and other bits of random personal history was pretty cool.

Adam is right Scott Pilgrim vs The World > Inception.

Raine wrote:
Oh yeah, and Scott Pilgrim sucked

Coming from you this comment is not suprising.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 6:48pm

I dare you to find a more iconic/well known theme song.

Last edited by Mr_eX on Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 7:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Raine » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 6:49pm

Konanda wrote:Coming from you this comment is not suprising.

I ain't one to hate for no reason, I have my reasons for not liking the movie. A lot of the jokes fell flat, and it was too long. One thing that really irked me was the fight scenes. They weren't funny and they weren't visually impressive. There was no real tension, because the dude the movie is named after isn't going to get decapitated halfway through the movie. They felt like a waste of time.

Hell, I could probably do a scene by scene breakdown on why the movie failed to live up to it's potential, but that would require re-watching it. It honestly wasn't that bad, it just doesn't deserve any kind of hype.
Raine

Postby Rydog » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 7:10pm

Mr_eX wrote:For some future episode they should let us create the show agenda.

The Halloween theme is iconic.

I think that would be fun. Bear in mind we tend to derail from whatever topic list I put together each week, though!

And props to the Halloween theme. Also, you guys are definitely right about the James Bond theme being more iconic than the Back to the Future one. Although I think BTTF is up there. :)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby Konanda » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 7:22pm

Raine wrote:
Konanda wrote:Coming from you this comment is not suprising.

I ain't one to hate for no reason, I have my reasons for not liking the movie. A lot of the jokes fell flat, and it was too long. One thing that really irked me was the fight scenes. They weren't funny and they weren't visually impressive. There was no real tension, because the dude the movie is named after isn't going to get decapitated halfway through the movie. They felt like a waste of time.

Hell, I could probably do a scene by scene breakdown on why the movie failed to live up to it's potential, but that would require re-watching it. It honestly wasn't that bad, it just doesn't deserve any kind of hype.

Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 7:24pm

Mr_eX wrote:I dare you to find a more iconic/well known theme song.

Since you're just asking for a "theme song" and not limiting it to just films or tv shows, I'm going to go with this:

kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 7:33pm

kenzo wrote:

Since you're just asking for a "theme song" and not limiting it to just films or tv shows, I'm going to go with this:

It's pretty obvious that I mean movie or TV show but even still the one you posted isn't even close.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 7:36pm

Rydog wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:For some future episode they should let us create the show agenda.

The Halloween theme is iconic.

I think that would be fun. Bear in mind we tend to derail from whatever topic list I put together each week, though!

And props to the Halloween theme. Also, you guys are definitely right about the James Bond theme being more iconic than the Back to the Future one. Although I think BTTF is up there. :)

I'm pretty sure derailment would be on the agenda frequently.

Ghostbusters theme is more iconic than the James Bond theme.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 7:40pm

For the same reason that BttF theme music isn't as iconic, neither is the Ghostbusters music - that only had two films. Only people from a certain age group and generation care about Ghostbusters or Back to the Future. James Bond is pertinent to people from all age groups - all generations. It also means something to a huge international audience that BttF and Ghostbusters never enjoyed.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 7:51pm

kenzo wrote:For the same reason that BttF theme music isn't as iconic, neither is the Ghostbusters music - that only had two films. Only people from a certain age group and generation care about Ghostbusters or Back to the Future. James Bond is pertinent to people from all age groups - all generations. It also means something to a huge international audience that BttF and Ghostbusters never enjoyed.

You're talking about the movies not the songs.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 9:56pm

Mr_eX wrote:
kenzo wrote:For the same reason that BttF theme music isn't as iconic, neither is the Ghostbusters music - that only had two films. Only people from a certain age group and generation care about Ghostbusters or Back to the Future. James Bond is pertinent to people from all age groups - all generations. It also means something to a huge international audience that BttF and Ghostbusters never enjoyed.
You kind of have to watch the movies to know the songs.
kenzo

Postby flufflogic » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 2:29am

I am totally in favour of adding Adam to the group permanently. Oh, and do a side podcast for red box.

Also, having just listened to the rest, Zod has become so high profile because of how much that line stuck with people. Mallrats cemented it in geek culture, and the rest is history.

That, and the fact Superman 2 is iconic due to the multiple versions thing, and it is "the aficionado's Superman".
flufflogic

Postby GiantAsianMan » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 5:06am

Has to be disqualified; can't be iconic if you ripped off someone else to make it.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby flufflogic » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 6:05am

Why is it every time you post I sing your user name in my head to the tune of "secret agent man"?
flufflogic

Postby dabeast0976 » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 7:01am

GiantAsianMan wrote:

Has to be disqualified; can't be iconic if you ripped off someone else to make it.

Fucker. You beat me to it.

flufflogic wrote:Why is it every time you post I sing your user name in my head to the tune of "secret agent man"?

Because you drink too much While reminiscing about your childhood TV shows? :lol:
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 7:18am

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:
You kind of have to watch the movies to know the songs.

Not true for the Ghostbusters theme.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 7:19am

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby GiantAsianMan » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 9:31am

Two movie themes that get an extended use are Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Pirates of the Caribbean. They'll never reach the iconic status of Star Wars, Superman, James Bond, etc., but they're popular for montages, especially in sports.

Also, re:flying cars. Like Louis CK says, everything's amazing, and nobody's happy.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby kenzo » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 10:04am

Mr_eX wrote:

That's a pretty good one. But I'm afraid that kids these days don't get exposed to Looney Tunes the way we (and most American kids that came before us) were.

Also, every baseball jingle that gets played during all sporting events - very iconic, probably more than any tv show theme song we've brought up.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 12:38pm

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:

That's a pretty good one. But I'm afraid that kids these days don't get exposed to Looney Tunes the way we (and most American kids that came before us) were.

So you're telling me that they no longer show any old cartoons on TV?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby GiantAsianMan » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 3:44pm

Mr_eX wrote:So you're telling me that they no longer show any old cartoons on TV?

No, I think he's saying that kids today don't watch old cartoons; they've got plenty of new ones to keep them occupied/distracted.
GiantAsianMan

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 3:45pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:So you're telling me that they no longer show any old cartoons on TV?

No, I think he's saying that kids today don't watch old cartoons; they've got plenty of new ones to keep them occupied/distracted.

But the old cartoons are better.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 4:10pm

Mr_eX wrote:
GiantAsianMan wrote:
But the old cartoons are better.
You're preaching to the choir, Mr_eX. But that doesn't change the facts.
kenzo

Postby agenttrav » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 4:36pm

Jesus...The Fitchbox is more like it. I don't mind Adam Fitch at all...but man, he hijacked the podcast. What the hell...

As irritating as the show was this week, it was still loads better than anytime Patrick has been on. If Adam hijacks the podcast, Patrick holds it hostage and forces it to fly into buildings.
agenttrav

Postby Jeku » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 4:38pm

Tab!

Holy shit, I didn't understand that reference until I heard it on Geekbox. I didn't know it's a drink, because we don't get it here. Finally... after 25 years I get it. :cry:
Jeku
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 5:12pm

agenttrav wrote:Jesus...The Fitchbox is more like it. I don't mind Adam Fitch at all...but man, he hijacked the podcast. What the hell...

As irritating as the show was this week, it was still loads better than anytime Patrick has been on. If Adam hijacks the podcast, Patrick holds it hostage and forces it to fly into buildings.
You shut your mouth! If I had things my way, I'd make Fitch a permanent cast member.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 6:07pm

kenzo wrote:
agenttrav wrote:Jesus...The Fitchbox is more like it. I don't mind Adam Fitch at all...but man, he hijacked the podcast. What the hell...

You shut your mouth! If I had things my way, I'd make Fitch a permanent cast member.

Thats a pretty good idea.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics