Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 107

Postby Konanda » Mar 7th, 2011 @ 12:32am

KindGalaxy wrote:
Konanda wrote:
KindGalaxy wrote:well MAYBE if you became a Mighty Duck he would've stopped.

KG I would hat you if if I didn't love you. :P

Conda I would love you if if I didn't hat you.

:cry:
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 7th, 2011 @ 1:05am

Konanda wrote:
KindGalaxy wrote:
Konanda wrote:
KindGalaxy wrote:well MAYBE if you became a Mighty Duck he would've stopped.

KG I would hat you if if I didn't love you. :P

Conda I would love you if if I didn't hat you.

:cry:

:D
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby PolyphonicBoy » Mar 7th, 2011 @ 7:03am

What was up with Adam Fitch's voice this week?!?

He sounded very drowsy and slurred. I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned before. I like both Fitch bros, and have been entertained by Adam previously, but it honestly sounded like he'd had a stroke! Or maybe drunk?

Just found it very strange.
PolyphonicBoy

Postby IMLabman » Mar 7th, 2011 @ 8:17am

I haven't been on the forums for a long ass time, but after listening to this episode I just had to sign in and say FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, that was boring!!
IMLabman

Postby LiQuid » Mar 7th, 2011 @ 8:18am

Wait a minute. Back the fuck up here a couple posts... The Tetris music was real songs?!
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » Mar 7th, 2011 @ 10:09am

LiQuid wrote:Wait a minute. Back the fuck up here a couple posts... The Tetris music was real songs?!

It's a cover of a Russian folk song.

Konanda

Postby wesburt » Mar 8th, 2011 @ 7:06pm

that syncs up really well with your avatar :lol:
wesburt

Postby Xandur » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 3:57pm

I love the Girl Talk talk at the end of the episode. A friend of mine got me in to Girl Talk recently and I love it!
Xandur

Postby LiQuid » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 5:48pm

Finally listening to this episode and really loving it. Love all the translation talk. I think the gaming industry has taken a huge step back in terms of localization, which is a big part of the reason why I dislike JRPGs now as opposed to around the Woolsey years when people were actually localizing games instead of just translating them to pander to weeaboos. Modern, professional JRPG translations are seldom better than middling, anime, fansub translations.

Currently playing Persona 3 and all the gigantic, katakana-filled names and translated honorifics really bug me and make it hard to even remember the names of the people in my party or that I'm interacting with. I only remember Junpei's name, because of how annoyingly similar it is to a certain forum resident, but I couldn't tell you what the rest of my team's names are. Sakayuki? Yukasari? Asakiri? Who knows. There's a girl that casts spells and a guy that hits stuff... I know this series specifically is built upon showcasing Japanese school life and culture, but it seems like bigger strides could have been made to make it feel more relatable to people who don't go to anime conventions or study Japanese as a hobby. I happen to know the usage of a lot of common Japanese honorifics and it still annoys me to see stuff like senpai, chan, tan, etc mostly because the rest of the dialog almost feels written to work within the confines of them.

Another game I recently played through, Tales of Vesperia was just as egregious but for completely different reasons. The localization was definitely not terrible from a character standpoint. Everybody's personality was pretty well showcased but I'll be god damned if some of the dialog in that game wasn't just completely broken by English standards. Game companies need to start taking greater liberties to start making dialog from Japanese games flow better in English. Another really annoying thing about ToV's translation was the seemingly literally translations of all the elements of lore within the game that made them sound incredibly awkward and stilted to listen to and read. Sure by the end of the game I knew what things like "blastia" (machines/ancient technology) "entelexeia" (big-ass monsters) "apatheia" (the tangible soul or essence of said big-ass monsters when they die) and "aer krenes" (ok, I still don't know what the fuck an aer krene is) were but listening to dialog containing all that nonsense in it was just god damned awkward. Towards the end of the game you go on mission to turn all the entelexeia into "spirits" and I couldn't have been more fucking stoked.
LiQuid

Postby dabeast0976 » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 5:54pm

LiQuid wrote:Finally listening to this episode and really loving it. Love all the translation talk. I think the gaming industry has taken a huge step back in terms of localization, which is a big part of the reason why I dislike JRPGs now as opposed to around the Woolsey years when people were actually localizing games instead of just translating them to pander to weeaboos. Modern, professional JRPG translations are seldom better than middling, anime, fansub translations.

Currently playing Persona 3 and all the gigantic, katakana-filled names and translated honorifics really bug me and make it hard to even remember the names of the people in my party or that I'm interacting with. I only remember Junpei's name, because of how annoyingly similar it is to a certain forum resident, but I couldn't tell you what the rest of my team's names are. Sakayuki? Yukasari? Asakiri? Who knows. There's a girl that casts spells and a guy that hits stuff... I know this series specifically is built upon showcasing Japanese school life and culture, but it seems like bigger strides could have been made to make it feel more relatable to people who don't go to anime conventions or study Japanese as a hobby. I happen to know the usage of a lot of common Japanese honorifics and it still annoys me to see stuff like senpai, chan, tan, etc mostly because the rest of the dialog almost feels written to work within the confines of them.

Another game I recently played through, Tales of Vesperia was just as egregious but for completely different reasons. The localization was definitely not terrible from a character standpoint. Everybody's personality was pretty well showcased but I'll be god damned if some of the dialog in that game wasn't just completely broken by English standards. Game companies need to start taking greater liberties to start making dialog from Japanese games flow better in English. Another really annoying thing about ToV's translation was the seemingly literally translations of all the elements of lore within the game that made them sound incredibly awkward and stilted to listen to and read. Sure by the end of the game I knew what things like "blastia" (machines/ancient technology) "entelexeia" (big-ass monsters) "apatheia" (the tangible soul or essence of said big-ass monsters when they die) and "aer krenes" (ok, I still don't know what the fuck an aer krene is) were but listening to dialog containing all that nonsense in it was just god damned awkward. Towards the end of the game you go on mission to turn all the entelexeia into "spirits" and I couldn't have been more fucking stoked.

Ko, did you hack into Liquid's account? :lol:
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby LiQuid » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 5:56pm

dabeast0976 wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Finally listening to this episode and really loving it. Love all the translation talk. I think the gaming industry has taken a huge step back in terms of localization, which is a big part of the reason why I dislike JRPGs now as opposed to around the Woolsey years when people were actually localizing games instead of just translating them to pander to weeaboos. Modern, professional JRPG translations are seldom better than middling, anime, fansub translations.

Ko, did you hack into Liquid's account? :lol:

Poppycock! If I were Ko I would have quote nested five other posts that size into it!
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 6:18pm

Considering the types of games Atlus makes/localizes, their business model, and low-print run of their games... the amount of work it would take to remove/replace all allusions to Japanese culture in Persona 3 wouldn't make sense/be worth the effort. They'd basically have to remake the entire game from the ground up. It just doesn't make sense to do that, and you wouldn't get the game localized to begin with. If you you hate Japanese culture that much, why even play games like Persona 3 to begin with?
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 6:56pm

LiQuid wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:

Poppycock! If I were Ko I would have quote nested five other posts that size into it!

I actually laughed out loud at that.

Also they did try to heavily localise the first Persona when it first came out (for the PS1 I think) and it bombed.

I never had too much trouble with the different character's names in P3 and the only really agregious dialogue that I couldn't stand was the French exchange student. (Temperance Social Link) Seeing as how they give him some dumb stereotypical French accent but also throw in a bunch of romaji (phonetically spelling out Japanese in latin characters) in there and it's just a mess to comprehend sometimes. I mean I get what they are going for with the character but it ends up being more annoying than funny.

The only other part I guess is some of the stores and trivia during class. However most of the trivia becomes meaningless unless you are trying to get all the S-Links on your first run through so you need those stat bonuses. Although doing that you would probably have a guide right near by anyway since you have to stick to a strict S-Link and dungeon schedule to have enough days to do so.

The different honourifics after everything can feel a little annoying and there is probably a way for them to convey the meaning of the characters' relations between each other. [ie. strangers, superiors, student/teacher, lover/very close friend, etc.]

I didn't feel it was too crazy with how Japanese it was. It seems your main point though is just the names and that the translators decided to keep the honourifics instead of finding another way to communicate the characters' relations.

As for Tales, using weird names to describe things in their lore is not just something Japan does, it's something many fantasy or sci-fi works do and not just in games. It's just some are better at using them sparingly or coming up with an alternate name that they refer to whatever name they gave that noun in the first place.
Konanda

Postby LiQuid » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 7:35pm

The trivia thing is annoying as shit. I just got a question on an exam asking what prefecture some shrine I'd never heard of was. I ended up looking up the shrine on Wikipedia. How hard would it have been to change that question to something like "what state is Mount Rushmore in?" (I probably would have had to look that up too). Another one of the questions was about the English translation of "pan" which happened to be bread. Unless you know rudimentary Japanese there's no way to know that. It would have been so easy to change the questions to something an average person playing it would know.

The honorifics and names though are by far the most annoying. The dialog in the Persona games is otherwise really well done and there has been some really stellar voice acting too but it's completely mucked up by honorifics and English pronunciation of Japanese names. It's a mixture of pandering and lazy localization and it really hurts the experience. What really hurts, I think in P3 (Portable, at least, I have no knowledge of what changed from OG P3) more than it did in Persona 4, is that there seems to be a lot less voice acting, so you don't hear the names repeated as often. Also, the leader of our group refers to everybody by their surnames in battle, which is pretty much the only time you regularly hear voice acting. Incredibly frustrating. I'm already about a dozen hours in and starting to feel like I'm gonna get through the entire game without remember who any of these kids were.

Random, specific Persona question to anyone that played both P3 and P4: In P4 almost all of your social links were with members of the investigation team and so far aside from the overarching "SEES" S-link, all of mine are just random kids from school and around the neighborhood. Does that change at all? One of the main draws in 4 was that you were getting to know your teammates both inside and outside the dungeons and in this one school and and dungeon work is almost completely segregated. Kinda bumming me out. I was kinda looking forward on mackin with the chick whose name I can never remember.

Also, how the fuck did anybody play this game back when AI control for the rest of the team was mandatory?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 7:36pm

God fucking damn it, these posts are starting to look koesque. :(
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 7:50pm

Not only are you playing Persona 3, but you're playing Persona 3 Portable. :lol:
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 8:22pm

LiQuid wrote:The trivia thing is annoying as shit. I just got a question on an exam asking what prefecture some shrine I'd never heard of was. I ended up looking up the shrine on Wikipedia. How hard would it have been to change that question to something like "what state is Mount Rushmore in?" (I probably would have had to look that up too). Another one of the questions was about the English translation of "pan" which happened to be bread. Unless you know rudimentary Japanese there's no way to know that. It would have been so easy to change the questions to something an average person playing it would know.

The honorifics and names though are by far the most annoying. The dialog in the Persona games is otherwise really well done and there has been some really stellar voice acting too but it's completely mucked up by honorifics and English pronunciation of Japanese names. It's a mixture of pandering and lazy localization and it really hurts the experience. What really hurts, I think in P3 (Portable, at least, I have no knowledge of what changed from OG P3) more than it did in Persona 4, is that there seems to be a lot less voice acting, so you don't hear the names repeated as often. Also, the leader of our group refers to everybody by their surnames in battle, which is pretty much the only time you regularly hear voice acting. Incredibly frustrating. I'm already about a dozen hours in and starting to feel like I'm gonna get through the entire game without remember who any of these kids were.

Random, specific Persona question to anyone that played both P3 and P4: In P4 almost all of your social links were with members of the investigation team and so far aside from the overarching "SEES" S-link, all of mine are just random kids from school and around the neighborhood. Does that change at all? One of the main draws in 4 was that you were getting to know your teammates both inside and outside the dungeons and in this one school and and dungeon work is almost completely segregated. Kinda bumming me out. I was kinda looking forward on mackin with the chick whose name I can never remember.

Also, how the fuck did anybody play this game back when AI control for the rest of the team was mandatory?

The level of voiceacting in P3P is the same as P3 and P3:FES. Voice acting is only really present in the cutscenes with your teamates and such. The big difference between the two games is being able to play as a chick, which opens up different S-Links and that there is no animation to go along with the cutscenes.

Playing as the girl gives you S-Links with all of your teamates. Specifically the teamates S-Links for the male main character is Yukari, (reddish brown haired archer) Mitsuru, (the red headed fencer) Fuuka (green haired support) and Aigis. (blonde haired android) Also you can make everyone of them your girlfriend. (You can kind of S-Link with Koromaru [the dog] when you take him for walks but unlike the female protagonist it is not a real S-Link)

The thing is that you must fulfill certain stat requirements first. For Fuuka you must have Courage maxed, for Yukari you must have Charm maxed and for Mitsuru you must have Academics maxed. Aigis has no requirements but is one of the last S-Links to open up [pretty much a month before the end of the game is when you get access to her]

As I said for the female main character it is all of them. Also as the female main character you can date Akihiko, (white haired boxer although he's like Naoto from P4 and you have to say the right things throughout the S-Links to date him) Junpei, (ball cap dude) and Shinjiro (red pea coat and toque guy and he is also a little trickier to date but I don't want to say too much since talking about his character can get pretty spoilery fast.) So ya like the male character you can date all of the opposite sex in your team with the exception of Ken since he's a child although it's possible for him to fall for you.

For the AI control question, it was because in P3 and P3:FES you and your team would get tired hella quick so it didn't matter if they wasted some SP since you were probably all tired even before it's half gone. Also it was never super hard since the different tactics usually worked somewhat well. In that you set one or two to heal and than have the other on debuffs or attacks.

In P3P they have pulled back on how fast you get tired so running out of SP is a bigger problem.
Konanda

Postby LiQuid » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 8:27pm

Konanda wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Random, specific Persona question to anyone that played both P3 and P4: In P4 almost all of your social links were with members of the investigation team and so far aside from the overarching "SEES" S-link, all of mine are just random kids from school and around the neighborhood. Does that change at all? One of the main draws in 4 was that you were getting to know your teammates both inside and outside the dungeons and in this one school and and dungeon work is almost completely segregated. Kinda bumming me out. I was kinda looking forward on mackin with the chick whose name I can never remember.

The level of voiceacting in P3P is the same as P3 and P3:FES. Voice acting is only really present in the cutscenes with your teamates and such. The big difference between the two games is being able to play as a chick, which opens up different S-Links and that there is no animation to go along with the cutscenes.

Playing as the girl gives you S-Links with all of your teamates. Specifically the teamates S-Links for the male main character is Yukari, (reddish brown haired archer) Mitsuru, (the red headed fencer) Fuuka (green haired support) and Aigis. (blonde haired android) Also you can make everyone of them your girlfriend. (You can kind of S-Link with Koromaru [the dog] when you take him for walks but unlike the female protagonist it is not a real S-Link)

The thing is that you must fulfill certain stat requirements first. For Fuuka you must have Courage maxed, for Yukari you must have Charm maxed and for Mitsuru you must have Academics maxed. Aigis has no requirements but is one of the last S-Links to open up [pretty much a month before the end of the game is when you get access to her]

As I said for the female main character it is all of them. Also as the female main character you can date Akihiko, (white haired boxer although he's like Naoto from P4 and you have to say the right things throughout the S-Links to date him) Junpei, (ball cap dude) and Shinjiro (red pea coat and toque guy and he is also a little trickier to date but I don't want to say too much since talking about his character can get pretty spoilery fast.) So ya like the male character you can date all of the opposite sex in your team with the exception of Ken since he's a child although it's possible for him to fall for you.

A simple "yes" would have sufficed. Thanks though.

And my problem with the AI isn't really running out of SP (which has been cheap to heal) but the fact that they're hell of dumb.
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 8:27pm

kenzo wrote:Not only are you playing Persona 3, but you're playing Persona 3 Portable. :lol:

P3P is my favourite version because it has two sides of the story in it and because as the girl you can change a very sad event towards the last 3rd of the game that really bummed me out. (and that's all I'll allude to because it's mega spoilers and I don't want to spoil it for Liquid)

P3:FES was cool because of the new stuff they added in but The Answer was not that great. I mean it was cool for those wanting more challenge but the story significance of it is kind of meh and only the part at the end really makes it worthwhile.
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 8:29pm

LiQuid wrote:A simple "yes" would have sufficed. Thanks though.

And my problem with the AI isn't really running out of SP (which has been cheap to heal) but the fact that they're hell of dumb.

Well the thing is it depends on if you are male or female. Female is yes you can S-Link all of them and date the male ones that are in high school. For male the answer is only the female SEES members and you can date all of them.
Konanda

Postby LiQuid » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 8:39pm

kenzo wrote:Not only are you playing Persona 3, but you're playing Persona 3 Portable. :lol:

Tell me about it! A true double whammy of Shit LiQuid Shouldn't Be Doin.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 9:09pm

LiQuid wrote:

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at how P3P is getting a more fair shake than Peace Walker did. :lol:
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 9:13pm

kenzo wrote:
LiQuid wrote:

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at how P3P is getting a more fair shake than Peace Walker did. :lol:

I'd accept "nod understandingly."

And really it didn't. I played about 10 missions of Peace Walker, which was WAY more than I needed to in order to realize it was a broken mess. That's about as fair a shake as any game can hope for.
LiQuid

Postby wesburt » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 11:20pm

Xandur wrote:I love the Girl Talk talk at the end of the episode. A friend of mine got me in to Girl Talk recently and I love it!

Girl Talk is a good buddy of mine, it was cool to hear him mentioned on the podcast!
wesburt

Postby jw_6179 » Mar 13th, 2011 @ 4:00am

LiQuid wrote:Currently playing Persona 3 and all the gigantic, katakana-filled names and translated honorifics really bug me and make it hard to even remember the names of the people in my party or that I'm interacting with. I only remember Junpei's name, because of how annoyingly similar it is to a certain forum resident, but I couldn't tell you what the rest of my team's names are. Sakayuki? Yukasari? Asakiri? Who knows. There's a girl that casts spells and a guy that hits stuff... I know this series specifically is built upon showcasing Japanese school life and culture, but it seems like bigger strides could have been made to make it feel more relatable to people who don't go to anime conventions or study Japanese as a hobby.
Ehhh, I don't think you need to study Japanese to have an understanding that not everyone in the world has names that come from the Bible. I think you're just picking out Japanese games that do this, but giving a pass to other games that use ethnic names, say, Assassin's Creed. I, personally, have no goddamn idea how you pronounce Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad for example. But I understand it has a certain context in this game, because the original Assassin's Creed was "set" in the Middle East of the 12th century or whatever. Same goes with Ezio Auditore da Firenze. I could be a dickwad and go "Psssft, sounds like some dude who spins pizzas. Why couldn't they name him Bill?"

I happen to know the usage of a lot of common Japanese honorifics and it still annoys me to see stuff like senpai, chan, tan, etc mostly because the rest of the dialog almost feels written to work within the confines of them.
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I definitely agree, it comes across really... Japanophile-y. On the other, Japan is pretty different culturally from the West with its respect for elders (And I don't mean elderly -- I'm talking about people a year or two ahead of you in school) that I'm not exactly sure how you could localize but still capture some of the subtlety that it involves. Of course, I'm not paid to do it either, haha.

Sure by the end of the game I knew what things like "blastia" (machines/ancient technology) "entelexeia" (big-ass monsters) "apatheia" (the tangible soul or essence of said big-ass monsters when they die) and "aer krenes" (ok, I still don't know what the fuck an aer krene is) were but listening to dialog containing all that nonsense in it was just god damned awkward. Towards the end of the game you go on mission to turn all the entelexeia into "spirits" and I couldn't have been more fucking stoked.

Ehhh, I have to say you're playing an RPG. You should suck it up and deal with that. Ever play a Dawn of War game? I had to go read through fucking Wikis to have any idea what they were talking about half the time ("Wait... The psykers summoned the xenomorphs which created a hellchasm from where Thousand World blood reavers caused a warp disturbance in the... What the shit is going on here?"). But know what? Once I got "in to" the mythos and such, I actually found that I really liked it. Same goes with Planescape: Torment. There's a lot of weird shit about that game, and why does everybody keep calling me "berk"? Etc.

Sometimes, you just gotta go with the flow. I think in some ways you're being overly harsh on Japanese games for not being white-washed, when you'd give a pass to other games that have used a strong 'background' canvas.
jw_6179

Postby LiQuid » Mar 13th, 2011 @ 2:41pm

Good post and I respect everything you said in it.

Re: Japanese names. I agree with what you say, the Japanese names to make the same sense as in the Assassin's Creed games as you cited. The difference being that those games are fully voiced, so you get to hear the names spoken far more often than in Persona, so the names grow to the player far more naturally. Also, in the Assassin's Creed games you didn't really need to follow more than a half dozen characters and most of them were known, historical figures. In P3 I've got a team of nearly a dozen people and over a dozen friends within my social life to keep track of, none of their names are ever spoken. It's a fairly unique problem to this series and I suppose I don't really fault the game for it as much as just the Japanese language for being stupid and making all their words sound the same.

We're still ok on honorifics sucking. That's good. Cultural differences shouldn't play a part there. It may not be as simple as just saying "sempai" here in the Western world, but we have a way of showing respect for our elders (even just upper classmen) and it's called "just not talking like a douche."

Re: RPG vocab. "Wait... The psykers summoned the xenomorphs which created a hellchasm from where Thousand World blood reavers caused a warp disturbance in the... What the shit is going on here?"

I've never played a Dawn of War game, but I know just from reading that that a bunch of rude dudes summoned a bunch of ruder dudes to create a chasm that leads to hell where the rudest dudes caused a warp disturbance in the...?? Now I'm kind of interested, what's going on with that warp disturbance?!
LiQuid

Postby Unical » Apr 22nd, 2011 @ 12:06pm

Catching up on old casts. This wasn't bad, except for when Fitch was talking. Which was the entire cast, it seemed. I understand many of you love him, but I don't see it.
Unical

Postby kenzo » Apr 22nd, 2011 @ 12:07pm

Unical wrote:Catching up on old casts. This wasn't bad, except for when Fitch was talking. Which was the entire cast, it seemed. I understand many of you love him, but I don't see it.

kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Apr 22nd, 2011 @ 12:09pm

Dude, don't talk to people that are 2 months behind on the podcast. We don't care what they think.
LiQuid

Amoxil 2 Ellacromb

Postby EllNelo » Jun 5th, 2018 @ 10:05pm

Viagra Discounts From Pfizer Cialis Tadacip Cipla Propecia Orkut Minoxidil buy generic cialis online Bing Quality Online Viagra Canada Purchase Cheap Cialis Forgot To Refrigerate Amoxicillin And Clavulanate
Can Amoxicillin Be Used For Acne Prompt Pill Store Cialis Bei Frau cheapest cialis Propecia Cost Compare Prix Cialis 25
EllNelo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics